Olmlet

what carrier nation to go for first?

9 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
47 posts
5,571 battles

what nation shall i pick for my first carrier? i saw the uk has bombers with multiple bombs so i might go for that one. any advice?

[GURKA]
Players
5,208 posts
10,430 battles
3 minutes ago, Malissa1994 said:

what nation shall i pick for my first carrier? i saw the uk has bombers with multiple bombs so i might go for that one. any advice?

depends on your personal taste and preferences? What's important for you?

[NED]
Players
47 posts
5,571 battles

well i really like the idea of the dive bombers having multiple bombs, but is there any downside to the uk carriers? like do the planes have like no health at all?

[GURKA]
Players
5,208 posts
10,430 battles

The UK planes have the most health. The Downside is, that some Bombs have low penetration and high dispersion. So I guesss it's more about setting fires. Espeically the low tier CVs felt weak, so you should keep that in mind

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles

Imo, best first nation would be US, because they have the easiest planes with reasonable usefulness. Then you go IJN if you want to up your game and meme on cruisers with AP bombs, or RN if you feel like doubling down on being flying cancer by carpet bombing things, which is sometimes more to piss people off than being really effective.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,248 posts
13 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

The UK planes have the most health

It's a bit deceiving though when you say UK planes have most health. Because they don't have the biggest squad of planes. Planes that have lower health and are weaker, tend to have a bigger plane squad to make up for it (to balance things out so they can still get plane attacks in).

Look at Saipan CV. T10 planes but having a really small squad, then you have Kaga with T6 or 7 weaker planes but having a big plane squad

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles
1 hour ago, GTB1964 said:

It's a bit deceiving though when you say UK planes have most health. Because they don't have the biggest squad of planes. Planes that have lower health and are weaker, tend to have a bigger plane squad to make up for it (to balance things out so they can still get plane attacks in).

Look at Saipan CV. T10 planes but having a really small squad, then you have Kaga with T6 or 7 weaker planes but having a big plane squad

Most CVs are about the same squad size though. Saipan and Kaga are special cases, but all others at T8 usually are 3x3 or 4x2 setups (exception Enterprise rockets), so 8 or 9 planes. Implacable doesn't have noticeably smaller squads than Lexington or Shokaku for example, thus the plane hp is significant.

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,647 battles

The RN CVs in the game don't utilize dive bombers, their "DBs" utilize a level-bombing run. So their larger number of bombs is spread over a much larger area (i.e. a BB or CV-sized target).

Their Bombs, though numerous lack punch as well until you hit T10 and get the bigger ones on the Audacious.

Before that they are best used against unarmored flight decks (which can land you some juicy hits tho) and to set fires.

Personally i'd recommend USN over RN over IJN.

For the USN they have relatively beefy planes and all of their planes are pretty usable without requiring too much skill to pull of a successful run and all types are useful.

The RN has beefy but slow planes, their main selling point being their TBs that can make a turn and attack again within ~3km and still get full accuracy.

The IJN is more difficult over-all since their planes are relatively flimsy but faster and generally (except DBs) need a longer time to aim making them more vulnerable to flak.

[GURKA]
Players
5,208 posts
10,430 battles
5 hours ago, GTB1964 said:

Beside the plane health, the total health should be also the highest. Ryjujo has 1k hp TBs with 6 planes, Furious has 1.6k hp TBs with 6 planes. Didn't check all CVs, but as far as I remember it's a trait of the RN to have high health planes.

The Kaga weaker planes have still a low total hp number, thus the whole squad is easy to wipe. 1.2k HP with the TBs, that is lower than the T6 Furious ;D