You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Give me some Advice on Großer Kurfürst....

69 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,198 posts
7,578 battles

Ok.

So after a long Time. I finally died my way up to getting the GKF.

Now. This thing is indeed Huge. And its Maneuverability is HORRIBLE. I feel like the Friedrich was basicly a DD compared to this thing lol.

Unexpectedly. The Guns are rather Reliable at Hitting Targets even on Range. Compared to the Friedrich where I often wondered if RNGesus hates me like the pest when I put 3 Salvos into the Broadside of a Cruiser on not even 10km and still didnt kill him because my Shells decided to form a Circle around that guy instead of hitting him. The GKFs Guns have so far proven to almost entirely Reliably Delete Cruisers when they are stupid enough to show me a Broadside on about 12km or something and even beyond that. And in the cases where they dont get Deleted. Its not because my Guns are missing. But because I just Overpenetrate and thus dont do much Damage....

Despite that.

This thing is a Brick. Seriously. IT IS A BRIIIIICK.

And my Awesome Winrate of 20% so far. Shows that I have absolutely no Idea how to Drive that thing lol.

2 Games I basicly botched it because I was Driving it like the Friedrich and then ended up basicly Showing the Enemy T10 BBs my Broadside for like 10 minutes cause this thing needs the Time Limit of 3 Matches Combined to friggin Turn around.

Thus getting Pummeled pretty pathetically.

1 Game (the one I actually Won) I constantly Missed the Enemy Ships because I paid so much attention to Maneuvering this Brick that I constantly misjudged Speed and even Direction of the Enemy Ships and thus Fired anywhere else but not at that Enemy.

Thus ending up Winning with like 70k Damage thanks to my Team not being Complete Noobs.

And the last 2 Games I at least got something Right and each time at least did nearly 200k Damage. But still ended up losing cause my Team got Smoked up at the other side of the Map.

So well I hope at least on these 2 Games I was not the one at Fault for the Defeat....

Now then.

Anyone who got some Experience in Driving this Brick around.

Maybe give me a few Pointers ?

I am not a Pro Gamer and certainly dont want to be one.

But 20% Winratio is way too low for Comfort even for a Casual Noob like me.

[PARAZ]
Players
2,590 posts
12,772 battles
1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

Maybe give me a few Pointers ?

Sell it.

While German ships aren't as bad as is often said, they are a relic of times past and the most unsuited ships for the current meta by far.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
3,999 posts

I have not try the ship in the current meta.

Used to be very good with TANK build ... but I do not want to play her ATM ... the AA is nothing to brag about and you are target for any CV.

Players
2,568 posts
11,389 battles

1) Get the rudder shift mod if you don't have it.

2) Train your map awareness. At the spot you are at/travelling towards to, what can hit you? Then manouvre accordingly.

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles

It's a relic and not suited to the meta. So thats the first thing. 2nd is FP is a must as it has a large superstructure. 3rd your CV fodder being big, large and turns like a brick. It also has the worst torp belt armour at its tier! 4th play it slowly at the start. go in too eary for a brawl and you burn to death, too far back and your not playing it to its strenghs so play the middle distance. Not commited but taking hits for the team.

with a seconday build you melt crusiers so they are your main food source. Your main guns are also good at taking out crusiers and you have a lot of them. however, Hindy and Henry are a nightmare (IFHE) so if they kite, dont chase. If you catch them static then their toast. Bow on des? March towards him and you will melt him, plus you can cit him though the nose. Picks your ships to fight in the Kurf.

it uses to be my fav tier 10 BB but not anymore. Other tier 10s cope better and the new russian line, funny enough, is better at pushing now. Such a shame.

• Cool 3

[MUMMY]
[MUMMY]
Players
61 posts
10,061 battles

Gk is my fav bb (ok i only have the gk and the yama but still) 

I had pretty good results with it even before i got the legendary 

Stick near your cruisers to give support both with hydro and with the stopping power of your guns, ok they are pretty inaccurate but at "close" ranges ù still have 12 shells and everyone have to fear you, even da due to secondaries 

I Use the 406 just for the reload 

With the legendary module things change a lot cause u have to switch your captain skills 

Brawling is great , stay angled and as soon as they fire use the full salvo 

Never give full broadside, gk is hard to citadell but it hits full pen dmg pretty often and 20-30 k volleys on you are pretty normal 

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,720 posts
10,106 battles

GK is probably THE MOST FUN BB for me..

It is hilarious with full seconday build. even with IFHE (yes it makes a difference! I have proof)

Stay away for the first 5 mins of the battle.. snipe like a true BB captain..

then find an opening (which means you can sail without giving broadside to one side)

then push! push like there is no tomorrow..

Push like giving birth to triplets at the same time in a barn on a hay stack!

Push push push..

If you survive.. find an island, turn back.. heal twice.. then rinse and repeat..

Yeah it is not the most reliable ship.. but It is fun as hell!

you need to get close.. that is when GK shines..

Preferably be in a divison. Find a DD player friend, put him infront of you for torpedo spotting.. and push with him..

Just for a reference,

My lates stats..

image.thumb.png.ea6d2827ff0f7300be4de8f8b7999b3e.png

image.thumb.png.979af2a307efebea13d13fff100d006a.png

• Cool 3

[BABBY]
Players
667 posts
10,231 battles

I only played her in Alldestroyer version during space battles and calling her a brick is an understatement of the year. Combined with atrocious rear turret angles it makra for a very uncomfortable ship to play. I have the Bismarck and don't desire to progress any further at all now.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,424 posts
8,803 battles

Took me also some time to get it the way it suits my own playstyle. Not sure what you have skilled tho, maybe it depends on that.

First i had sort-off secondary build with CE. Didnt feel that good. After some time, i switched to full tank build, and then it started to work. Its probably not the best choice in this meta tho, as many have said. But i have played like 25-30 games since 0.8.0 in it, and results were good enough.

I think the hardest part is to know when to push. As people like to shoot you, since even angled they can get nice damage on you. And Cruisers like to farm you with HE, because you are big and sluggish.

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,851 battles

@Sunleader

As a CV player you already know that without a fighter the GK won't shoot down many planes. Even T8 ones. Plus all the spam of Harugumo and Daring . Add to this Henry with IFHE aaaand... Conqueror. Sometimes you get good/descent results. But sometimes you're in destination F. It's not consistent like Montana, Republique or Conqueror . Yama is also better. 

So it's MM dependent. 

Players
318 posts
10,717 battles

I think people are a little to harsh about the GK. You just gotta play it to get used to it, compared to the monty, its a similar but a little closer range play style, that is more limited however due to the mobility. 

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles

When it first came out, it was great.

But just look at the history since the Kurf. The ships that have come out since. None have helped and each one pushing the Kurf further back.

It cant hid from HE spammers, gets out ranged by all BBs (accuracy) and it eats torps hard if not supported. IFHE crusiers and now CVs are back its in an even worse spot. Its AP cant do things like the Yam and Republic can or the HE the Conq can. The russian bbs are better pushers and front line plus it has bad AA compared to the rest.

The years really havnt been kind and its been powercrapt badly. 

Of course you can still play it and do good, its just a uphill struggle in every game. 

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles

Did i mention that you are also team dependant? The Repulic can get out of dodge quicky (very good AA and secondary for dds), the monty can swat planes alone with good concealment and the Yam doesnt need to be so far forward to get focused.

If you push and the team doest support you, you burn to death for nothing whilst the enemy kites. Or you get torped as its the first juicy target they see (Shimy love them).  What a shame.

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
5 hours ago, Excavatus said:

It is hilarious with full seconday build. even with IFHE (yes it makes a difference! I have proof)

then find an opening (which means you can sail without giving broadside to one side)

Push push push..

If you survive.. find an island, turn back.. heal twice.. then rinse and repeat..

Preferably be in a divison. Find a DD player friend, put him infront of you for torpedo spotting.. and push with him..

Just for a reference,

My lates stats..

Pretty much this. My favorite BB in T10, and the tactic he explained is pretty good. Never push too soon, but when you do, do it like Tony Ferguson.

• Funny 1

Players
2,875 posts
16,261 battles

@ OP: sell it. It and outdated design in the current meta.

Countered by CVs, HE-spam dds, island-forts (=UNS cruisers), supercruisers, other cruisers, other BBs.

It is literally the worst tier X in the current meta,

6 hours ago, Excavatus said:

My Henri IV with IFHE and LM approves. It both outranges and out-dps the GK and loves to kite. Did I mention my Henri enjoys 1v2'ing GK divisions for the lulz?:Smile_trollface:

Seriously, I liked FdG prior to the CV rework but didnt play much GK because i hated the few games i played.

Decided to buy the LM to make the perfect IFHE secondary meme build (since there was no way in the universe i'd suffer the LM grind).

However while that 32 mm pen is awesome for melting just about any BB, GK almost never makes it into range (unless lucky to get a cyclone), and the main guns are trash.

In just about any situation, Republique is flat out a better, more fun pick (guns are awesome, aa is better, secondaries comparable and well. Armor is trash:Smile_ohmy:)

[WONLY]
Players
417 posts
14,558 battles

Don't try too hard on getting close and use the tank build for more consistency. The guns are workable on 18km+ so just stay safe in early game. In mid-game try to be the guy tanking for the team since this thing has great armor and is very resilient to HE spam. Just turn broadside and turn around in time if you can't get out your current bad position. Take the huge non-citadel salvos and heal back up.  If your team is throwing hard, try to push a cap or the smoked DD with hydro active. You won't avoid all torps in this huge brick but no other BB can do that. You'll win games by tanking and pushing, not with great salvos. Use the 406s for the faster reload and try to take advantage of the fast shell velocity on unexpecting cruisers.

It's hard to find the right timing for a push, especially with CV-cancer in the game. But due to low numbers of DDs you don't have to worry about the torpedo walls that much.

It's so far still my best performing TX BB after Bourgogne. But that thing is just broken. My stats in it:

2.jpg

[THESO]
3,198 posts
7,578 battles
9 hours ago, Saiyko said:

Sell it.

While German ships aren't as bad as is often said, they are a relic of times past and the most unsuited ships for the current meta by far.

Pls dont make Joke Suggestions that I am seriously considering already.

It makes me feel even more Frustrated.....

Even more so when I notice that this thing is Insanely Strong in Combat.

If it just wasnt such a Brick for heavens sake.

9 hours ago, pra3y said:

1) Get the rudder shift mod if you don't have it.

2) Train your map awareness. At the spot you are at/travelling towards to, what can hit you? Then manouvre accordingly.

Does it help ?

I am currently running Damage Control because the only thing that loves me more than HE Spamming Cruisers in CVs with TBs...

Doing that anyways. Its Paramount for German BBs which need to look for an Opening to go into brawling range.

8 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

It's a relic and not suited to the meta. So thats the first thing. 2nd is FP is a must as it has a large superstructure. 3rd your CV fodder being big, large and turns like a brick. It also has the worst torp belt armour at its tier! 4th play it slowly at the start. go in too eary for a brawl and you burn to death, too far back and your not playing it to its strenghs so play the middle distance. Not commited but taking hits for the team.

with a seconday build you melt crusiers so they are your main food source. Your main guns are also good at taking out crusiers and you have a lot of them. however, Hindy and Henry are a nightmare (IFHE) so if they kite, dont chase. If you catch them static then their toast. Bow on des? March towards him and you will melt him, plus you can cit him though the nose. Picks your ships to fight in the Kurf.

it uses to be my fav tier 10 BB but not anymore. Other tier 10s cope better and the new russian line, funny enough, is better at pushing now. Such a shame.

I am actually currently running a Main Battery Build.

I cant Complain about the Guns really.

The 12 Main Battery Guns are really Strong even against BBs on Range.

Their Dispersion is really Good compared to the Friedrich. Allowing for Pretty good 10-20k Hits even Range.

8 hours ago, Marducas91 said:

Gk is my fav bb (ok i only have the gk and the yama but still) 

I had pretty good results with it even before i got the legendary 

Stick near your cruisers to give support both with hydro and with the stopping power of your guns, ok they are pretty inaccurate but at "close" ranges ù still have 12 shells and everyone have to fear you, even da due to secondaries 

I Use the 406 just for the reload 

With the legendary module things change a lot cause u have to switch your captain skills 

Brawling is great , stay angled and as soon as they fire use the full salvo 

Never give full broadside, gk is hard to citadell but it hits full pen dmg pretty often and 20-30 k volleys on you are pretty normal 

Is that a Good Build ?

I am currently on Secondary Build with one Exception.

I got the Aiming System. For the 7% better Dispersion of the Main Battery instead of the Secondary Improvement.

Because the Main Guns are really Strong. And the 7% really Help.

Also. Whats with the IFHE Skill ??? Does that work for the Secondaries ?

Should I get that when I get the Points ?

(Captain is Secondary Build due to earlier German Ships)

7 hours ago, Excavatus said:

Push push push..

Just for a reference,

My lates stats..

Aye.

Thats pretty much what I am trying right now.

Staying out of the Battle at Start only Firing at Range.

Then Pushing when I get a Good Chance at it.

Getting close is German BB Meta. So no Trouble in that.

Even tough my Team rarely follows me like it should.....

7 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

I only played her in Alldestroyer version during space battles and calling her a brick is an understatement of the year. Combined with atrocious rear turret angles it makra for a very uncomfortable ship to play. I have the Bismarck and don't desire to progress any further at all now.

I would Progress to the Friedrich.

If you like the Bismarck. The Friedrich aint bad.

Its still pretty Maneuverable and Fast.

And the Secondaries are rather Strong.

If you take the 420mm Guns you also have pretty good Broadside. Even if just like the Bismarck the Guns are Crab at Range.

Albeit. Unlike Bismarck. You do have 24km range with the Upgrades.

7 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Took me also some time to get it the way it suits my own playstyle. Not sure what you have skilled tho, maybe it depends on that.

First i had sort-off secondary build with CE. Didnt feel that good. After some time, i switched to full tank build, and then it started to work. Its probably not the best choice in this meta tho, as many have said. But i have played like 25-30 games since 0.8.0 in it, and results were good enough.

I think the hardest part is to know when to push. As people like to shoot you, since even angled they can get nice damage on you. And Cruisers like to farm you with HE, because you are big and sluggish.

I am on Secondary Build with Exception of the Target System for the 7% less Dispersion.

I dont actually know what a Tank Build is. Sorry.

6 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

@Sunleader

As a CV player you already know that without a fighter the GK won't shoot down many planes. Even T8 ones. Plus all the spam of Harugumo and Daring . Add to this Henry with IFHE aaaand... Conqueror. Sometimes you get good/descent results. But sometimes you're in destination F. It's not consistent like Montana, Republique or Conqueror . Yama is also better. 

So it's MM dependent. 

Given the Results other Players get with GKF. I dont think thats True.

I can tell its a Really Strong Ship after all.

Its just an completely different Playstyle from all other German BBs.

German BBs up to T9 are Effectively Fast Battleships with very Strong Brawling Capacity and good Maneuverability.

But not really Strong at Range.

The GKF seems to be much Stronger at Range. But oh my God its a BRIIIIIICK.

5 hours ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

I think people are a little to harsh about the GK. You just gotta play it to get used to it, compared to the monty, its a similar but a little closer range play style, that is more limited however due to the mobility. 

Well. There should still be some Advice.

(Actually some people gave good Advice above already.)

Hopefully also telling this Casual Noob what IFHE Skill does and what a Tank Build is lol.

[PARAZ]
Players
2,590 posts
12,772 battles
2 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Pls dont make Joke Suggestions that I am seriously considering already. 

It makes me feel even more Frustrated.....

I wasn't joking. GK is trash in current meta, as any german BB. No idea why anyone would play it.

[MUMMY]
[MUMMY]
Players
61 posts
10,061 battles

@Sunleader good build? Questionable 

Fun build? Oh hell yes!!

Legendary+full secondaries ifhe + 406 and that reload are quite scary when ù are in secondary ranges 

Melted a monty in a couple of salvos +secondaries 

The difficult part is getting close when needed cause as soon as u overextend its a one way ticket, u either melt things or get focused to oblivion  

[SHAFT]
Players
9,424 posts
8,803 battles
3 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

I am on Secondary Build with Exception of the Target System for the 7% less Dispersion. 

I dont actually know what a Tank Build is. Sorry.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

Thats what im running + the anti-fire/flood modules in 2nd/4th slot. And ofc Anti-fire/flooding flags.

You get only 1 fire on your superstructure, instead of the usual 2, which is pretty normal with GK since everyone can/will hit that. Fire duration gets almost cut in half, and even a flood runs only for 23 secs. DoTs are your worst enemies imo, as they deal a lot of damage, and are rather easy to apply. HE Alpha itself is not that bad, and you can bounce all AP shells too.

Players
6,753 posts
245 battles

Bin it.

cus it's too fat and drunk, and gets smashed by all the smoll midges that come after you (planes).

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,549 posts
23,653 battles

let's see... 3 weeks of "totally meta unsuited" german bb'ing (per pr):

Friedrich der Große    Friedrich der Große IX 5 80%
Super Unicum
2 841
Super Unicum
98 443 1.2 0.2

Bismarck    Bismarck VIII 8 75%
Super Unicum
2 676
Super Unicum
82 527 1.5 8.75

Gneisenau    Gneisenau VII 3 100%
Super Unicum
2 532
Super Unicum
64 527 2 3

Prinz Eitel Friedrich    Prinz Eitel Friedrich VI 2 50%
Average
2 252
Unicum
75 597 2.5 13

Tirpitz    Tirpitz VIII 5 40%
Bad
2 234
Unicum
69 439 1.2 5.6

Scharnhorst    Scharnhorst VII 10 70%
Super Unicum
1 433
Good
50 224 1 4.1

Großer Kurfürst    Großer Kurfürst X 4 50%
Average
1 036
Below Average
73 445 0.75 7.5

...as for the rating, the ships are more or less interchangeable over several weeks (*good GK matches/bad freddy matches).

they don't really suffer that much in randoms from current meta. not more or less than before. the simple reason is the wows playerbase! so, if u want to master ur german bb go for it. if it not let's u may seek another line to grind. but u can be sure, they're still top-notch (yes, on ifhe-full-pwn-no-tank-sec-build...) if played out right.

gk is a bit harder to play due to size, tier and opposing ships. but 4 hell sure still works ;).

sidenote: scharnhorst, tirpitz and gneisenau are tank builds there, rest is (ifhe) sec-builds (no ifhe on bismarck ofc, but yep... on pef :D).

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,851 battles

@Sunleader many people got the GK waaaaay before rework , conq and other things. I'm telling you what's now. It's gameplay is  HARDER than it was before. You have to be more careful than before. On the other hand it's still having bad accuracy than other T10 BBs that have much more range than you. The same problem Russian BBs will have but they have better deck armor to mitigate 90% of HE (exception will be Hindenburg with IFHE that I already done :fish_haloween: )

You don't have any other T10 BB so it's hard for you to compare. Comparing it to T9 FDG ….  FDG was the most frustrating BB for me and I just took free exp after few battles to get into T10. It was too painful.

[THESO]
3,198 posts
7,578 battles
2 hours ago, Saiyko said:

I wasn't joking. GK is trash in current meta, as any german BB. No idea why anyone would play it.

I am not Interested in Leveling up another Line just because Current Meta is not in Favor.

Favor changes over time anyways. So given my luck and the time a Casual bob like me needs to Grind to a T10 BB.

By the time I got another BB line up. That line would be the one F***** by the Met anyways... 

2 hours ago, Marducas91 said:

@Sunleader good build? Questionable 

Fun build? Oh hell yes!!

Legendary+full secondaries ifhe + 406 and that reload are quite scary when ù are in secondary ranges 

Melted a monty in a couple of salvos +secondaries 

The difficult part is getting close when needed cause as soon as u overextend its a one way ticket, u either melt things or get focused to oblivion  

I am actually thinking I will Switch to the 420mm

Unlike what most People Say I really like the Guns.

If the 420mm are that Accurate as well. It should make for a Good Sniper :)

2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

Thats what im running + the anti-fire/flood modules in 2nd/4th slot. And ofc Anti-fire/flooding flags.

You get only 1 fire on your superstructure, instead of the usual 2, which is pretty normal with GK since everyone can/will hit that. Fire duration gets almost cut in half, and even a flood runs only for 23 secs. DoTs are your worst enemies imo, as they deal a lot of damage, and are rather easy to apply. HE Alpha itself is not that bad, and you can bounce all AP shells too.

I dont have such a High Captain yet xD

So I guess that one is out of the Question.

But I do get the idea that having very Tanky Build.

Indeed this Ship has HP like Hell. If not for Fires etc. Grinding it down will take hell.

1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

@Sunleader many people got the GK waaaaay before rework , conq and other things. I'm telling you what's now. It's gameplay is  HARDER than it was before. You have to be more careful than before. On the other hand it's still having bad accuracy than other T10 BBs that have much more range than you. The same problem Russian BBs will have but they have better deck armor to mitigate 90% of HE (exception will be Hindenburg with IFHE that I already done :fish_haloween: )

You don't have any other T10 BB so it's hard for you to compare. Comparing it to T9 FDG ….  FDG was the most frustrating BB for me and I just took free exp after few battles to get into T10. It was too painful.

I see em doing fine even right now.

Also. I actually liked the FDG. If Played as a brawler its quite Powerful.

And it does have the Maneuverability to Fight a Brawl