Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DK_nme

Game graphics stink

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HF_30]
Players
7 posts
8,485 battles

2019-05-26.thumb.png.9829c36c9dd981c21ca023107830ca34.pngThis is plainly stupid graphics (see print screen). I was totally stuck in this position and couldn't for 5 minutes move either forth, backwards or in any other directions...

 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,642 battles

It's shallow. Your keel has caught. 

 

If anything there should be more shallows to add realism. All this hugging a beach tosh is utter nonsense - as if you could just park Iowa or Missouri 15 metres off a California beach. 

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
26,078 posts
14,090 battles
18 minutes ago, DK_nme said:

2019-05-26.thumb.png.9829c36c9dd981c21ca023107830ca34.pngThis is plainly stupid graphics (see print screen). I was totally stuck in this position and couldn't for 5 minutes move either forth, backwards or in any other directions...

 

What has this to do with graphics?

That is map design...

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,790 posts
7,088 battles

What do graphics have to do with you beaching on sculpted mesh? 

:Smile_smile:

 

 

Dont get too close to islands your keel will thank you. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[I-J-N]
Players
4,106 posts

There is something unreal about WoWS graphics.. in places I been sunk in shallow water (you see the bottom close to the surface) .. and YET! My huge BB somehow disappears under the waves in its entirety...  :Smile_hiding:

 

Also, there is something seriously wrong about graphics optimization, IMO. If I compare it WoT, which has a lot more terrain details to render and still manages to run mostly more smoothly and and more stable FPS than my WoWS where I have mostly turned down most of the graphics options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,488 posts
6,071 battles
2 hours ago, WynnZeroOne said:

It's shallow. Your keel has caught. 

 

If anything there should be more shallows to add realism. All this hugging a beach tosh is utter nonsense - as if you could just park Iowa or Missouri 15 metres off a California beach. 

That is bs tho if there is no visual feedback that my ship will get stuck there.

 

This is game design, they dont model a keel and water depth, they just give the islands slightly too big invisible hitboxes.

 

Gameplay should always come before realism, and its really stupid that its impossible to tell how close you can go to any given island before magically grounding.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

 

Gameplay should always come before realism, and its really stupid that its impossible to tell how close you can go to any given island before magically grounding.

In WoT the mantra is 'learn the maps', bushes, cliffs, undulations, etc. I have always assumed it's the same with WoWs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,488 posts
6,071 battles
Just now, 250swb said:

In WoT the mantra is 'learn the maps', bushes, cliffs, undulations, etc. I have always assumed it's the same with WoWs?

Of course, but you can see the bushes, cliffs and indulations tho.

 

The only way to learn where all the invisible hitboxes are, is to crash in to every centimeter of every island... Thats just not gonna happen, so all you can do is keep a little distance and hope for the best. That kind of uncertainty is terrible game design in a pvp game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,642 battles
2 hours ago, thiextar said:

This is game design

It is yes. What's 'bs' about it is the idea that you can just park your 6m draft cruiser some 10 metres from land in the first place.

 

Poor design, even for arcade nonsense and the OP has been caught out by poor map awareness in the first place. Your stern swings out when turning, I've always wondered how people fail to understand the movement of vessels with rudders, but hey ho.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,488 posts
6,071 battles
14 minutes ago, WynnZeroOne said:

It is yes. What's 'bs' about it is the idea that you can just park your 6m draft cruiser some 10 metres from land in the first place.

 

Poor design, even for arcade nonsense and the OP has been caught out by poor map awareness in the first place. Your stern swings out when turning, I've always wondered how people fail to understand the movement of vessels with rudders, but hey ho.

But the thing is, some islands you can park so close to that you nearly touch it without getting stuck, and then there are some islands that you cant go within 2 meters of, thats bad game design.

 

Especially for ships like the des moines and other american cruisers, which you park behind an island close to a cap. There is no way of knowing if an islands hitbox sticks out or not, its bs.

 

Bury your realism argument of "its shallow water", from a pvp game design point of view, its stupid that some islands have bigger hitboxes than their visual feedback.

 

if you want to implement shallow water into the game, then make it visible, give it some different color or visual feedback. But the way it is right now is just stupid.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
4 hours ago, thiextar said:

But the thing is, some islands you can park so close to that you nearly touch it without getting stuck, and then there are some islands that you cant go within 2 meters of, thats bad game design.

 

So all islands should be the same, and then you'll be arguing all ships should have the same displacement, and so on until the game is a swamp of neutrality. It's simple, keep an eye on the graphics that tell you when the bottom is getting shallow, and then factor in the displacement of your ship. If you can do it knowing whether to bother dodging deep water torps in a DD you can do it with an unmovable island even though there are no actual stats to inform you.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,488 posts
6,071 battles
57 minutes ago, 250swb said:

So all islands should be the same, and then you'll be arguing all ships should have the same displacement, and so on until the game is a swamp of neutrality. It's simple, keep an eye on the graphics that tell you when the bottom is getting shallow, and then factor in the displacement of your ship. If you can do it knowing whether to bother dodging deep water torps in a DD you can do it with an unmovable island even though there are no actual stats to inform you.

But thats the thing tho, the game doesnt model depth or displacement. 

 

A tiny destroyer and a yamato can get to exactly the same distance from an island before grounding, try it in a training room ^^. What you percieve as shallow waters, is just an invisible hitbox around the islands, same for every ship.

And deepwater torpedoes are just hardcoded to hit certain classes, they dont model depth, because that would be an extreme waste of cpu power.

 

You are falling for the illusion, and not seeing the bigger picture, because you associate a game mechanic with realism.

 

It can help to imagine the same scenario in an unrealistic setting: lets say the warships are spaceships, and islands are asteroids, other than that its the same game, now what would be the better game mechanic:

 

A: your spaceship beaches when it hits the asteroid.

 

B: your spaceship beaches at a random distance from the asteroid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,642 battles
5 hours ago, thiextar said:

Bury your realism argument

 

 

 

Not having an argument either way, just countering the rant with common sense.

 

We know they don't model it. But getting hysterical about it is just plain silly. Ships and islands don't mix, it need not be any more complicated than that.

 

The game doesn't model depth, displacement or draft, but who cares? Much more entertaining to point out the shallows and watch the dunning-kruger patients come crashing out of the woodwork like a dozen angry toddlers on crystal meth... :cap_popcorn:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,488 posts
6,071 battles
6 minutes ago, WynnZeroOne said:

Not having an argument either way, just countering the rant with common sense.

 

We know they don't model it. But getting hysterical about it is just plain silly.

I mean its not some gamebreaking thing that will stop anyone from playing the game, its just a stupid game mechanic, probably resulting from slightly lazy hitbox modelling. Its nowhere near the top of the priority list, but its also not a good thing.

 

6 minutes ago, WynnZeroOne said:

. Ships and islands don't mix, it need not be any more complicated than that.

Ships and islands do mix, that is why its such an issue for certain ships that island models are as wonky as they are.

 

Pretty much all american cruisers wants to hug islands as closely as possible, moskvas sometimes wanna use them to cover its flank, dds flank around them. Islands are the one thing that defines a map, and most of the action happens near and around islands. Islands are you best friends in a ship, and proper usage of them can tilt a fight heavily in your favor.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,722 posts
5,270 battles
11 hours ago, DK_nme said:

This is plainly stupid graphics (see print screen). I was totally stuck in this position and couldn't for 5 minutes move either forth, backwards or in any other directions...

 

Reminds me of that time over on the WoT forums where some guy was complaining about getting stuck on a rock he couldn't see because his graphics were turned too low..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
4,697 posts
10,879 battles
9 hours ago, thiextar said:

But the thing is, some islands you can park so close to that you nearly touch it without getting stuck, and then there are some islands that you cant go within 2 meters of, thats bad game design.

 

 

 

 

In that case real life has bad game design. There's places where you wouldn't be able to approach even remotely close even with a shallow draft DDs, and other places where cliffs just continue literally 90' straight down and you could sail a Nimitz class CV right up to it. The game should have cases like this, but they should be obvious so people wouldn't only know about them if they memorise map layouts.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-AP-]
Players
2,488 posts
6,071 battles
8 hours ago, AgarwaenME said:

 

In that case real life has bad game design. There's places where you wouldn't be able to approach even remotely close even with a shallow draft DDs, and other places where cliffs just continue literally 90' straight down and you could sail a Nimitz class CV right up to it. The game should have cases like this, but they should be obvious so people wouldn't only know about them if they memorise map layouts.

Yeah, i would be fine with it if there was visual feedback, but theres not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,471 posts
13,426 battles

When you get beached and cannot move, change the engine speed to stop (not forward or reverse) and let go of everything, stop moving the rudder, etc. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the game will then push you away from wherever you are stuck.

 

As for the graphics, just consider the geometry of the land below the waters surface. Land masses do not immediately drop into endless nothing as soon as they meet water.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,756 posts
245 battles

if two objects collide during any simulations or actions, what animation and scripts that are running will most likely stop when both mesh colliders collide with each other in a certain way.

 

shame they don't have the sculpted untextured and texture maps avalaible on the website for us to look at so we can see how far we can park etc.

 

graphics has nothing to do with this however.

  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,810 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, CptBarney sagte:

if two objects collide during any simulations or actions, what animation and scripts that are running will most likely stop when both mesh colliders collide with each other in a certain way.

 

shame they don't have the sculpted untextured and texture maps avalaible on the website for us to look at so we can see how far we can park etc.

 

graphics has nothing to do with this however.

Your explaination just fried my simple CV players brain ◇

I can't even find my stars and hearts anymore ♤

Please fix it... ♧

The last time i have been this stuck is when i forgot to turn of the vacuum cleaner. ◇

 

Nah but seriously that screenshot looks not like there would be any reaso to get stuck.. not even with CV autopilot.

Yiu know the best part with CV autopilot is in a double CV game when it maneuvers you right into your CV friend and you lose half your hp because your and his CV decided to engage in undescribeable acts to spawn baby planes faster.

It's unhealthy and makes you pink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,370 posts
15,244 battles
On 5/26/2019 at 1:07 PM, DK_nme said:

Game graphics stink

 

Potpourii or incense sticks might help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
382 posts
4,833 battles
On 5/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

There is something unreal about WoWS graphics.. in places I been sunk in shallow water (you see the bottom close to the surface) .. and YET! My huge BB somehow disappears under the waves in its entirety...

its better when the sinking animation happens, but your ship ends up standing almost straight out of the water with the bow on a beach.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,756 posts
245 battles
21 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Your explaination just fried my simple CV players brain ◇

I can't even find my stars and hearts anymore ♤

Please fix it... ♧

The last time i have been this stuck is when i forgot to turn of the vacuum cleaner. ◇

 

Nah but seriously that screenshot looks not like there would be any reaso to get stuck.. not even with CV autopilot.

Yiu know the best part with CV autopilot is in a double CV game when it maneuvers you right into your CV friend and you lose half your hp because your and his CV decided to engage in undescribeable acts to spawn baby planes faster.

It's unhealthy and makes you pink.

*sees notification*

 

*sees reaction*

 

*ignores post*

 

*reacts*

 

Spoiler

shocked.jpg.25fb5a57d6184ccdf8449eb5fb313dec.jpg

 

 

Spoiler

what.thumb.jpg.a35f24da405f95dbd39cc647915d7061.jpg

 

Spoiler

wut.gif.cbdb14a73c89e0ebf0fa8d2749b52abf.gif

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,642 battles
16 hours ago, Skyllon said:

 

Potpourii or incense sticks might help!

I like a good Skandnavisk reed diffuser myself. Not cheap, but a good four months worth of scent in each room.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×