You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gustywinds

Do you actually read the chat?

34 comments in this topic

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles

I have thought for a long time that WG should disable the chat macro system. The tiny number of times it is useful are vast outweighed by the idiots who just spam nonsense on it.

Then you get the barrage of abusive comments which, as I am playing carriers a fair bit at the moment, is pretty toxic. I particularly hate the ‘get cancer’ comments as my father died from cancer a couple of years back.

So I just ignore chat completely.

WG should have an option to switch off the auto generated messages and to block messages from specific players.

• Angry 1

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,037 battles

Chat is useful.

I understand your sensitivity. However, I guess you are intelligent enough not to let idiots get to you.

You can blacklist players. Just right click on their name. You will not read anything from them anymore.

Regards

Saltface

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,315 posts
5 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

I have thought for a long time that WG should disable the chat macro system. The tiny number of times it is useful are vast outweighed by the idiots who just spam nonsense on it.

Then you get the barrage of abusive comments which, as I am playing carriers a fair bit at the moment, is pretty toxic. I particularly hate the ‘get cancer’ comments as my father died from cancer a couple of years back.

WG should have an option to switch off the auto generated messages and to block messages from specific players.

You do have option to block messages from specific players. Just right click on his nick and select ignore or sth like that. I think one of mods can disable chat. And I agree with you, poeple spam it with mostly nonsense text, so I don't pay attention to it at all.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,560 posts
23,846 battles
37 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

nonsense?!... i just see a bunch of... people... who ignore my wisdom :Smile_trollface::Smile_bajan2:

just ignore the chat urself if ya too thin skinned for internetZ imho... mine so as well, so what? for sure i won't anyone in here allow to trigger anything in that regard within me, why would i?... it's the internetZ ;)....

• Funny 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,785 battles

The sad thing is that people believe that it is ok to say it! I regularly report people for misuse of chat, and will continue to do so.

However, I use chat and would not like it turned off. It is of use tactically, but also to warn people of torps when a course change puts them in danger, when playing a CV advise people to call for help if they need it, etc

I just wish that a few times I chose the option to no longer get messages from an individual - Blacklisting doesn't seem to have an effect in game or with Matchmaking. It just seems to stop them trolling you out of battle.

[-SBF-]
8,315 posts
17 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

I just wish that a few times I chose the option to no longer get messages from an individual - Blacklisting doesn't seem to have an effect in game or with Matchmaking. It just seems to stop them trolling you out of battle.

What do you mean? Do you add someone to Blacklist and keep receiving messages from him?

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,785 battles
Just now, Greyshark said:

What do you mean? Do you add someone to Blacklist and keep receiving messages from him?

When I have "Blacklisted" someone, it doesn't seem to have any effect on battlechat, the toxic chat and/or constant spamming of FKeys continues. I have subsequently been matched against said toxic chatter in another match.

What it has prevented was a player toxic messaging me after the event, which happened just the once, so I blacklisted said player after the messaging and messaging stopped. This was a while

I now tend to report and ignore anything subsequent in battle.

[-SBF-]
8,315 posts
27 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

When I have "Blacklisted" someone, it doesn't seem to have any effect on battlechat, the toxic chat and/or constant spamming of FKeys continues. I have subsequently been matched against said toxic chatter in another match.

What it has prevented was a player toxic messaging me after the event, which happened just the once, so I blacklisted said player after the messaging and messaging stopped. This was a while

I now tend to report and ignore anything subsequent in battle.

It was never intended to have any effect on MM.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,785 battles
Just now, Greyshark said:

It was never intended to have any effect on MM.

I get that - but it was implied to have effect on battle chat

[-AP-]
Players
2,510 posts
6,125 battles
2 hours ago, gustywinds said:

Meh, grow some skin and deal with it, its just words....

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,863 posts
11,915 battles
3 hours ago, gustywinds said:

I particularly hate the ‘get cancer’ comments as my father died from cancer a couple of years back.

I have prostate cancer and I didn't like the references to 'get cancer' before that.   Still, there are all sort of idiots on-line that have no concept of such things so they will continue to be idiots.

I've seen less racist comments recently though (never understood how players can see your race through a nick-name).  When I see such comments I try and point out "there is no need for that here".  Stupid people are going to be stupid though.

• Cool 2

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles
3 hours ago, Greyshark said:

You do have option to block messages from specific players. Just right click on his nick and select ignore or sth like that. I think one of mods can disable chat. And I agree with you, poeple spam it with mostly nonsense text, so I don't pay attention to it at all.

Doesn't work. Just stops them messaging you after the match.

Players
2,660 posts
18,882 battles

I stopped using and reading chat when I went full CV main. Playing CV already feels disconnected to surface PVP as it is. I do however respond to radio messages for the sake of teamplay. It's the healthy option for me personally.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,282 posts
10,080 battles

Sometimes I get insulted in such a poetic way that it just makes me laugh out loud. So no I wouldnt want to miss chat for the world. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,611 posts
8,867 battles

I hate people who dont react to chat... its a [edited]teamgame. If you dont want to communicate with your teammates, play a sologame :cap_yes:

Almost everyone vents their frustration at some point. Idc about that. Just report them for missbehaviour. If they continue in port, either blacklist them or report them to WG if its really bad.

[BBMM]
Players
5,859 posts
7,390 battles

I REALLY LIKE the hate that gets poured in chat when I play CV.

I even post messages like C:/mods/torpedocheatspam/activate

Delicious :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
3,229 posts

Chat does bug me on times, well it distracts me tbh, the whole chat thing needs a bit of an overhaul, say like WoT's, you can block a player for the duration of the game, maybe like the mini map you should be able to decrease it in size.

Players
3,229 posts
4 hours ago, gustywinds said:

I am totally with you on the cancer thing, I watched a very good friend die of it last year, wishing that crap on someone just because of a game choice they make, really gets me mad.

Players
5,976 posts
11,377 battles
5 hours ago, gustywinds said:

The tiny number of times it is useful are vast outweighed by the idiots who just spam nonsense on it.

You know...

At first I thought you were wrong, but you may be right actually (may).

And I totally agree with an option to disable the automated spam, even though the "I'm using hydro!" messages typically aren't as toxic as the written messages, regardless of weekend or not :Smile-_tongue:

Players
2,384 posts
15,343 battles
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

You know...

At first I thought you were wrong, but you may be right actually (may).

(...)

Your comment is going to be osolete in 7 days. :Smile_glasses:

Players
1,640 posts
18,254 battles

The in game chat is largely dependant on the team, sometimes it's very helpful especially if some twit fires torps from behind me and I need to know not to turn into them.

however there are also those idiots who spam F keys or just swear but realistically it can't be that bad, I'm used to BB and CV drivers swearing at me for killing them if it really is that bad you can always file a support ticket with screen shots. Although I admit I'm rather thick skinned due to my work. 

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,163 battles

There is match chat? No - Deactivated. WoWs "Chat" = Players insulting players.

Telepathic communication, audio voice, and in-game commands work best IMHO.

Ingame text chat exhibits:

image.png.9e9358194d57cee7b3b219f459eca52c.pngimage.png.29ed8b8f0a856af8255f77c023766620.png