Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zigiran

Shima captain

35 comments in this topic

[_FK_]
Players
214 posts
5,505 battles

I'm wondering what skills I should get on my Shima?

Required skills:

- PM

- LS

- CE

Not sure what else to take...

- RPF seems nice, never used it before though (Shima is my first T10 ship)

- on row 3: SE, TAE and SI all seem nice

- AR would be nice

Taking all would require 22 points. The easiest option seems to drop a row 3 skill, but is that the right choice and which one should I drop?

:fish_nerv:

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,186 battles

I have Shima also, with a 19 point cap tho but anyways... I took these and have no complaints so far:

1 Point) Preventive Maintenance

2 Point Skills) 1st: Last Stand - Then wait and take 1 3 and 4 point skill each - After all the others have been taken: 2nd) Torpedo Acceleration (using 12km torps, so this still leaves me with 9,6km range and 72kn speed), 3rd) Expert Marksman 4) Smoke Screen Expert

3 Point Skills) 1st: Torpedo Armament Expertise (later on, if you mount the legendary upgrade for Shima, you can then change this to something else as it speeds up the reload anyway) 2nd) Basic Firing Training (10% faster gun reload - I also use her guns)

4 Point) Concealment Expert

You can also try other combos, but for me this has worked all right.:cap_like:

[I-J-N]
Players
4,176 posts
38 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I'd drop Tae. 

I have TAE, but it might be better to spend those 3 pts on BFT or SI instead as it is only -10 % off the reload time. One consideration for me is that my Shima captain also takes the Asashio regularly, in fact more often tbh.

RDF is something that feels a bit gimmicky at the start of the battle (I feel it is needed on the Asashio even then) but becomes a very potent tool in the latter stages of the battle when you pretty much can know that it is pointing to an enemy DD.

36 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I have Shima also, with a 19 point cap tho but anyways... I took these and have no complaints so far:

2 Point Skills) 1st: Last Stand - Then wait and take 1 3 and 4 point skill each - After all the others have been taken: 2nd) Torpedo Acceleration (using 12km torps, so this still leaves me with 9,6km range and 72kn speed), 3rd) Expert Marksman 4) Smoke Screen Expert

3 Point Skills) 1st: Torpedo Armament Expertise (later on, if you mount the legendary upgrade for Shima, you can then change this to something else as it speeds up the reload anyway) 2nd) Basic Firing Training (10% faster gun reload - I also use her guns)

I guess a lot will depend on if you plan to assign your captain to a premium DD. If you primarily focused on the Shima, you could play around with torpedo choices and leave out both TA and TAE giving you 5 points to spend on something else.

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles

In my shima captain i have skilled: PT, LS, SE , CE, TAE, AR and RPF. A normal torpedo boat build.

If you reaaaally want PM than you can also go with PT, LS , SE , CE , TAE , AR , SI , PM

but i'm a fan of RPF so i would go with this.

The key is to not get spotted in the shima, so if you do not get spotted = you do not have to worry about broken modules and no need for defensive smokes (that would mean SI and PM are not thaaat usefull)

RPF is a skill that is very usefull in almost every situation, because you know where the nearest enemy (mostly a DD) is. It needs a little bit awarness and knowledge ofc.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

Shima doesnt have any particular need for SI - you dont use offensive smokes all that often so three charges are usually enough, and you also dont need another speedboost.

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles

Whatever you take, do not use the 20 km torps. Because you wanted to take TAE, I guess that was your plan. 

Shima has to be played with 8 or 12 km torps. 

Also, Shima is probably the worst tier 10 destroyer right now, with all the CV s. Definitely is not a ship good for your first tier 10.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
214 posts
5,505 battles
15 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Whatever you take, do not use the 20 km torps. Because you wanted to take TAE, I guess that was your plan. 

Shima has to be played with 8 or 12 km torps. 

Also, Shima is probably the worst tier 10 destroyer right now, with all the CV s. Definitely is not a ship good for your first tier 10.

TAE = faster torp reload

TA = faster but shorter ranged torps

With TAE I was planning to take the 12 km torps.

• Cool 1

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles
1 hour ago, Zigiran said:

TAE = faster torp reload

TA = faster but shorter ranged torps

With TAE I was planning to take the 12 km torps.

Then is OK. But Shimakaze or other Japs suck right now because of carriers. 

Players
2,182 posts

I took my Shimakaze out for the first time in nearly 2 months... Even against an enemy CV I survived the whole game, sank 2, held off 5 ships.. survived 4 CV attacks and contributed to victory.

Never write off a ship if the captain knows how to play her...

This is how I have set my skills.

909830209_Screenshot(34).thumb.png.823f4037937b44942458ebb2eb80b910.png

[I-J-N]
Players
4,176 posts
13 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I took my Shimakaze out for the first time in nearly 2 months... Even against an enemy CV I survived the whole game, sank 2, held off 5 ships.. survived 4 CV attacks and contributed to victory.

Never write off a ship if the captain knows how to play her...

This is how I have set my skills.

909830209_Screenshot(34).thumb.png.823f4037937b44942458ebb2eb80b910.png

Very close to my setup! I got SE instead of SI.

... and I use the 20 km torps... :Smile_hiding:

[MORIA]
Players
7,317 posts
36,044 battles
5 hours ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Drop the expert marksman and smoke for survivability expert for more hp. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,317 posts
36,044 battles
9 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Pls no 20km....omg

• Funny 1

Players
2,182 posts
8 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I use 16km @ 67 or 9.6km @ 72..... if I am feeling really brave 6.4km @ 81... and that's fun.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,176 posts
4 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Pls no 20km....omg

4 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I use 16km @ 67 or 9.6km @ 72..... if I am feeling really brave 6.4km @ 81... and that's fun.

Well, I let it slip earlier that my captain is mostly on the Asashio.. so this is kind of something I have to take into consideration. I get a 16 km range on the Shima, but... the speed is bad and they get easily detected. Mind you, they spot even Asashio's torpedoes relatively easily. I think in most situations a 10 to 12 km range would be ideal (unless there is radar nearby...).

[MORIA]
Players
7,317 posts
36,044 battles
2 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Well, I let it slip earlier that my captain is mostly on the Asashio.. so this is kind of something I have to take into consideration. I get a 16 km range on the Shima, but... the speed is bad and they get easily detected. Mind you, they spot even Asashio's torpedoes relatively easily. I think in most situations a 10 to 12 km range would be ideal (unless there is radar nearby...).

Well Asashio has deep water 0.9 km spot. The 20km shims are 2,5km spot. That’s a monstrous difference in spot. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,182 posts
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Well Asashio has deep water 0.9 km spot. The 20km shims are 2,5km spot. That’s a monstrous difference in spot. 

The funny thing with Shimakaze is that the lowest ranged torpedoes are detected at 1.8km which is greater than the mid range... so you get 2.5km, 1.7km and 1.8km detection respectively...

That's why I sometimes like 6.4km @ 81 because whatever the spotting range nobody escapes...lolz

[OGHF]
Players
1,131 posts
19,832 battles
41 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Also using the 20k torps, tend to flank if safe and torp the radar ships  hiding behind islands :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
4,016 posts
10 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Good build but why sacrifice SI?

Because I am naive and I am still waiting for CV population to drop as it was before the rework. :Smile_trollface:

You could drop RL and take SI+PT. SI... would give you 1 more smoke and boost. Is that enough to save you? I don't think it is.

Perhaps its better to use Yamamoto and hope for first blood to get that extra charges :Smile_teethhappy:

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
9,931 battles
11 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I have posted this in another thread but it could be useful here as well

Factor 2.6237 510%      
  Speed (Kts) Speed (Km/h) Detection (Km) Game Speed (Km/sec) Game Time (sec)

Shimakaze Type 93 62 114.824 2.5 0.162669 15.37
Shimakaze Type 95  67 124.084 1.7 0.175788 9.67
Shimakaze Type F3 76 140.752 1.8 0.199401 9.03

The column Game Time (sec) gives you the reaction time that your target will have after spotting your torpedoes. I guess that almost 16 seconds is enough time to avoid them.

Your call

Regards

Saltface

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
4,176 posts
4 hours ago, Saltface said:

I have posted this in another thread but it could be useful here as well

Factor 2.6237 510%      
  Speed (Kts) Speed (Km/h) Detection (Km) Game Speed (Km/sec) Game Time (sec)

Shimakaze Type 93 62 114.824 2.5 0.162669 15.37
Shimakaze Type 95  67 124.084 1.7 0.175788 9.67
Shimakaze Type F3 76 140.752 1.8 0.199401 9.03

The column Game Time (sec) gives you the reaction time that your target will have after spotting your torpedoes. I guess that almost 16 seconds is enough time to avoid them.

Your call

Regards

Saltface

Cheers! Based on that I'd say that the Type 95 without TA might be the smartest bet if I was just looking at how the Shima is going to perform. The longer range on the Type 93 allows you to dodge radar and other DD's better, but at the cost of earlier detection. Using the Type 93 with TA somewhat negates the disadvantage in terms of speed, but prolly not the detection, though the extra speed would give the target somewhat less than that 16 secs to start evasive action. Looking at your data.. roughly 4 seconds off making it about 12 seconds.

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,186 battles
21 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Drop the expert marksman and smoke for survivability expert for more hp. 

No need, I either sink and swim or make it good... I would much rather get more effective gunnery and be more useful to the team in terms of being able to provide extended smoke coverage, when necessary (of course it also allows me to get away better on the side, hehehe).:cap_old:

You see, I do not believe in "Universal standard skilling" for my ships and try to customize the captain skills to fit each ship individually, my playstyle and the way I intend ti use it (all my caps are dedicated to one ship only). Therefore I have only taken SE for those DD's, where it is absolutely essential. So I have it selected for all my TRB-equipped DD's (because they have no smoke and so need every extra HP they can get to live long and prosper) AND for my Russian DD's (being the kamikaze-gunboats that they are). I have not taken it to others because I see other skills, as more essential and having smoke they will be able to disengage, when the situation gets too sticky and also I want to maximize my combat effectiveness, so my 2 kills for a torp boat at 3 points tend to be TAE & BFT, which I feel compliment each other nicely.:Smile_Default:

Sign in to follow this