Sign in to follow this  
CCchirug

nerf CVs

7 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
2,493 battles

Please...

The CVs in this game are overpowered to the point of absurdity. 

They need to be nerfed before everyone gets frustrated and quits, not in another 6 months.

Here are some constructive ideas...

No more than 1 per battle. When 2 of them decide to focus on any one player it just makes it miserable. 

The rocket planes do too much damage, especially to DDs who essentially cannot escape them. Rockets were notoriously inaccurate, the way they are in the game now, they are essentially guided munitions. The damage they do is way too much, in addition to knocking out 10+% of health in an undodgable strike, they also destroy equipment and set fire all together. The rockets need to be much less accurate, and either reduce damage or stop them from setting fire, both is too strong.

Reduce CV health. They essentially are untouchable and deal out more DPM than anything else. sure you can get citadel hits with ships, but not nearly as often as the damage from the aircraft.

CVs should not have unlimited aircraft. It should have a fixed amount, and then any launches after that should reduce the health of the CV until it kills itself. That would stop the endless waves of aircraft and end the problem of CVs out of planes waiting to die.

This game in its current form is broken.

Players
3 posts
2,493 battles

I would base it off of the individual ship. Larger ships, more planes. So basically higher tier, more planes. 

But various stats could be used to adjust it, for example, if you take the average damage of all ships in a given tier per game, adjust the CV so it can do roughly the same. 

I think it would not be as simple as saying the CV gets X planes. That was tried, it didn't work. 

The issue is the CV must still be fun to play, but not so over powered it makes other ships less fun. I also think there should not be a situation where the CV has no attack capability but is still in the game. That is why I think the health penalty after a certain amount of lost aircraft makes sense. As a former USN CV sailor myself, I admit, the CV is the most powerful ship in the world, which is why it made BBs obsolete and majorly reduced the effectiveness of the other types. But this is a game, and it must be fun to play, not hyper realistic. 

Another constructive idea might be making the planes far more survivable, but do less damage. That way they deal more damage over time, similar to fire, and survive to be refit without just being totally lost. Then you could put in a mechanic where the time to refit would be proportional to the amount of planes that make it back alive, which would not count against the health loss of the CV. 

In any event, the accuracy or the damage of rockets especially, needs to be majorly nerfed. I think the torp bombers and dive bombers are fairly balanced. Not perfect, but at least acceptable. The most I would do there is reduce the amount of time the HE bomb fires burn. The AP bombers I think are good how they are.

[GURKA]
Players
5,321 posts
10,733 battles
3 minutes ago, CCchirug said:

I would base it off of the individual ship. Larger ships, more planes. So basically higher tier, more planes. 

In a realistic way, the high tier CVs would have around 100 planes. The RTS CVs had around 100 planes. If you give a CV around 100 planes, he would never be out of planes. Even 60-80 wouldn't be too few in many games, if it's not a aa heavy match

2 minutes ago, CCchirug said:

But various stats could be used to adjust it, for example, if you take the average damage of all ships in a given tier per game, adjust the CV so it can do roughly the same. 

Every ship type have a different average damage. DDs have the lowest, cruiser inbetween, BB and CV the most.

Players
3 posts
2,493 battles

It doesn't have to be a realistic amount of planes, it only has to have a limit which doesn't make it completely OP. 

How they are used is completely off the hook though, send limitless squadrons out to die? Right now, essentially every squadron is a kamikaze attack. That is not reasonable. Outside of the IJN, commanders would be relieved for such tactics, if not court martial-ed. 

When you look at most games, what you find are certain balances, like high speed, high damage, no armor, and various combinations. In the current form, CVs are high speed, high damage, high health, and their ability to aim is much better than every other ship. 

When looking at DDs, the average damage may be low, but the potential damage is high. 3 torpedoes can sink many ships in the game. The trade off, the DD has to risk getting fairly close and it has low Hit points. So a torpedo run is a balanced risk. 

Contrary to the current CV, has essentially no combat risk until the rest of the team is almost wiped out, but it deals out, even by your admission, the most damage by far. 

A CG can deal good damage and has fewer torps, less often, than a DD, but can deal damage with guns, and take more damage than a DD. 

The BB deals lots of damage, but also takes a lot too. 

These are balanced.

Where is the balance for the CV? What is its inherent drawback? It has unlimited planes, substantial health, great speed, a respectable detection radius, and deals massive damage with minimal risk to itself. Even its own AAA is considerable.  That is a balance issue. So even if you don't like my ideas, something has to be done to offer some kind of weakness other than player stupidity or losing most of one's team first.

That doesn't even talk about the unlimited fuel of the planes. Limiting the range of the planes would increase the risk to the CV itself. You have played longer than me, you see them camping behind islands in the far reaches of the map, completely out of harms way until the game is already decided.

If you don't like my ideas, what are yours? 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,997 posts
10,811 battles

Hi there,

Please try to avoid opening new threads about an existing topic.

Please use one of the others, or better, here is the sticky one.

It's on top of the gameplay section

• Cool 1