You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Redcap375

How many of you use Mods or Programs In WOWS to your advantage?

Do you use Mods or Programs In WOWS to your advantage?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Mods or Programs In WOWS to your advantage?

• No - Below 60% WR player
    • No - Above 60% WR player
    • Yes - But cosmetic ones only that does not give me any advantage, however small
    • Yes - Above 60% solo player (been so for a while)
    • Yes - Below 60% solo player (been so for a while)
    • Yes - Above 60% WR Clan player (Squall, Gail and Storm)
    • Yes - Below 60% WR Clan player (Squall, Gail and Storm)
    • Yes - Above 60% WR Clan player (Typhoon and Hurricane)
    • Yes - Below 60% WR Clan player (Typhoon and Hurricane)

103 comments in this topic

Players
3,130 posts
11,000 battles

Chaps...:cap_tea:

I have never really had a true understanding of Mods and programs that players in this game use.  Call me old fashioned. 

Aslain i think they call it and things like that.

My basic understanding of these is that most can give a player "an edge" in any given game.  However small that may be. Something which the average Joe doesn't have when they first install the game.  This can range from being able to see all the information at once (both in game and before) to knowing just how angled the opponent is.  Aiming markers is also one i believe? I know there are many more but never really explored more than basic courtesy. 

The reason for the poll is to gauge just how many people use them and what type of player they attact.  I am generally interested in the connection between those that do and those that don't and how that effects personal stats. 

Basically, the question in the back of my mind, is it fair for one person to use it and the other doesn't? :cap_cool:

Now i know ANYONE can download these and can say "well anyone can, so i do" but does that make it fair if the game doesn't provide with all of them from the start.  Do you see what i'm getting at chaps?

I wonder if the top clans with the top players are heavy users on these mods? That could be complete tosh tho. 

I am truly not bothered by these mods and it has nothing to do with "they do and i don't" syndrome as i am completely content :cap_tea:. But it could go some way on confirming my old belief that i have regarding high stats and it's connection with mods. Information is priceless and those with the more information have an advantage. 

Now WR means quite little in the grand scheme of things with so my variables effecting it (Seal clubbing, OP ships, Div's, Clan type) but does the Mods go some way to improve them.  I personally believe they do.

I know you don't have to be honest in the poll if you don't want to (for whatever reason, people get defensive with things like this) but TRY to be honest. I know there are a few choices but i wanted to narrow it down into groups for a better understanding.

People can also comment WHY you use or don't use them including which ones if you wish to explain further. 

I'll start by saying that i have never used any of them.  My personal belief it that it simply isn't fair for me to use them when i know others don't.  That's just my own personal believe.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles

The other end of the spectrum is obviously ui development. Without mods, the ui development would become completely stagnant. i dont know if you are familiar with world of tanks, but having played that game since its launch, i can tell you that every single ui improvement made since the launch of that game came from mods.

I see mods as advanced settings really, beginners wouldnt know what to do with all the info, or the dozens of tabs we would have in the settings menu anyways, it would just scare new players away. This way the dedicated players can have their ui the way they want, and display all the info they want, without all these options and numbers scaring away beginners.

• Cool 6

[SHAFT]
Players
10,222 posts
9,051 battles

Guess you found it now :Smile_teethhappy:

First thing which came to mind:

21 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

The reason for the poll is to gauge just how many people use them and what type of player they attact.  I am generally interested in the connection between those that do and those that don't and how that effects personal stats. 

But you dont know who is voting "no mods" as you cant see their stats :Smile_trollface: (wait, wasnt there only one "no" option before? :cap_hmm:)

Currently i dont use any mods. At some point, i tried a couple

- X marks the spot before they introduced it. When there was a huge debate about that in the forums if it does anything for you. And i clearly had the feeling that its too powerful as a mod. Now thats in the game, i still think its not right, and shouldnt be in the game.

- Angle mod, felt really annyoing as its in the middle of the screen. Could be helpful i think

- That thing that shows colors if ship is moving or not: Felt its also annoying me more than it helps. I rather trust my own eyes/feeling.

Overall, got bored with keeping it up to date, and went back to playing without Aslains. The timer/points thing would be nice to have tho, as it shows who is winning. They should include that in the game imo.

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
11,000 battles
6 minutes ago, thiextar said:

The other end of the spectrum is obviously ui development. Without mods, the ui development would become completely stagnant. i dont know if you are familiar with world of tanks, but having played that game since its launch, i can tell you that every single ui improvement made since the launch of that game came from mods.

I see mods as advanced settings really, beginners wouldnt know what to do with all the info, or the dozens of tabs we would have in the settings menu anyways, it would just scare new players away. This way the dedicated players can have their ui the way they want, and display all the info they want, without all these options and numbers scaring away beginners.

And does having all this information to hand give them some sort of advantage in your opinion? 

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

And does having all this give them some sort of advantage in your opinion? 

If they are good players to begin with, yes, a small advantage. I mean they get access to more info and get it displayed in a way that works best for the specific player, thats gonna speed up decision making.

Overall though i firmly believe that it does more good than harm to the game.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles

I don't use mods for, essentially, three reasons:

1. I prefer to play games in their natural state - as the devs intended.

2. The mods I have seen being used look ugly and at odds with the rest of the game.

3. I don't really trust that they have full compatibility and won't cause problems in game at some time or another.

• Cool 7

[NMA]
Players
1,277 posts
19,139 battles

I use mods from aslains mod pack
1 Extended minimap - enlarged ship names on the map and custom minimap circles (radar, AA, detection, etc)

2. Info panel (enemy and self) - info about the ship i'm currently sailing and info about a ship i'm targeting

3. Score and shot timer - i think it's self explanatory

My game looks like this:

shot-19_02.22_12_30.12-0130.thumb.jpg.241d666931c48324e842d3fac5127293.jpg

I don't think any of the mods I'm using give me an advantage over someone playing a vanilla game. At least not when it comes to aiming and shooting.

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

#slingshotexe - you just point on ship and planes perform perfect slingshot on that target

# 4autoiam - it perfectly aims @4 different parts of ships to get 4 fires

#WASDhakzor - it automaticly changes course of a ship in 20 second interval with voice mesage - you no hit torps

#autoammoswitch - it switch ammo regardin ship type aiming

#minimapftw - it automaticly highlights broadside targets

#younohitflak - auto pattern for maneuvering thrue flack

#AAAdeathtrap - it automaticly switches sector for AAA

and offcourse standard

#iwinbutton which increase detonation chance of eneie ship for 70% for next hit

that is probably all

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
985 posts
21,134 battles

I play Vanilla. Without mods. Dont want to keep them updated.  Some things may be useful, for example the mod that shows the ankles in which ships are, but i hope sometimes such things will be implemented in client as smoke timer for ex.    

And more shocking: i play still with static crosshair:  -) 

• Cool 1

Players
3,845 posts
11,333 battles

I use mods to make everything look like straight out of anime.

I consider this a huge advantage. ☆♡☆

• Funny 9
  • Bad 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles
1 minute ago, belalugosisdead said:

And more shocking: i play still with static crosshair:  -) 

Me too, i never saw a reason to switch, as i just aim by feeling anyways, my subconscious knows this crap better than me.

• Cool 4

[ALONE]
Modder
2,198 posts
13,776 battles

Cannot stand the clown-camos on all the ships. Have to mod them away. :Smile_izmena:

[LEEUW]
Players
2,456 posts
10,110 battles

I play vanilla because I'm too lazy to keep updating aslains. And I like my screen as clean as possible. The information I need is either in my head or I look it up on my second screen. 

Also: how some people play with a minimap the size of an ant baffles me. 

• Cool 1

Players
323 posts
3,645 battles

I use Aslain modpack, but not the angle and speed indicator mods - too much for my taste. I use also the mod giving me the health bar of my teammates and enemies, I feel this is on the fence side ... If there was a mod removing the health bar for the enemies I would take it.

I voted therefore "only cosmetic" but it's kinda debatable.

and also the Mermaid voice and the anime captains, because I'm a secret weeb.

/edit I also changed the color of the shells and the crosshairs because I don't like vanilla colors, and the mod to get a better chat (name of the ship)

[-RM-]
Players
189 posts

I use the mods for several UI improvements. The score timers and side panels for a quick view of what's happening with team mates health I think is essential. I do use some of the other stuff you mentioned but don't completely trust them as they are often a few seconds behind what is actually happening (like the movements or the angling indicator you mentioned) but in certain instances it can be useful. But as also previously mentioned, popularity and creation of such mods encourages WG developers to implement them as standard which can't be a bad thing

• Cool 2

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

most of the mods I used have been incorporated into the UI by now - ship names on minimap for example. But there are still a few that WG havent gotten around to. Namely:

• Extended tech tree (just in port, but might as well mention it)
  • Better contour icons. It's not that by now I couldnt recognize most of the ship silouettes (keep the spelling mistakes :Smile-_tongue:), but I am frankly too lazy to count the number of funnels or what have you to identify the ship icon in the middle of a match - I want to see the name at a glance. The one I use also happens to come with a bit of additional info like max gun and torp range of the ship in question, but those I dont need anymore. Still, I guess that also counts as "additional info that the vanilla player does not get".
  • Related to that, I use one of the team panel mods that shows me the current (or last spotted at least) HP of ships on both teams. Very useful information to see at a glance to judge which low HP targets to look for, which friendly ships might or might not be able to support you in a push etcetera. I could get most of that information by looking around, but this way it's so much more convenient. So again, "information advantage" I guess.

Mods I tried but no longer use:

• The somewhat infamous/contentious Running Lights (shows whether target's going forward or backward) and Navigator (shows precise angle). The former didnt feel useful to me at all, while the latter I personally felt was too much additional and precise information. So I decided for myself that I wouldn't run Navigator - but I wouldn't blame anyone that does use it.

• Cool 2

Players
3,130 posts
11,000 battles
31 minutes ago, admiralgpt said:

I use the mods for several UI improvements. The score timers and side panels for a quick view of what's happening with team mates health I think is essential. I do use some of the other stuff you mentioned but don't completely trust them as they are often a few seconds behind what is actually happening (like the movements or the angling indicator you mentioned) but in certain instances it can be useful. But as also previously mentioned, popularity and creation of such mods encourages WG developers to implement them as standard which can't be a bad thing

Has any of the mods that have been used, been taken by WOWS and implemented as standard?

Edit: @Tyrendian89 answered a few already :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
3,130 posts
11,000 battles
17 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Mods I tried but no longer use:

• The somewhat infamous/contentious Running Lights (shows whether target's going forward or backward) and Navigator (shows precise angle). The former didnt feel useful to me at all, while the latter I personally felt was too much additional and precise information. So I decided for myself that I wouldn't run Navigator - but I wouldn't blame anyone that does use it

Wow, that's an advantage.:cap_hmm: The rest seem kinda harmless but useful. 

So there are quite a few out there like that..

Why wouldn't you blame anyone that does use it may i ask mate? Do you think it's an unfair advantage? Or all is fair in love and war...

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
2 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Why wouldn't you blame anyone that does use it may i ask mate?

simply put - because in my personal opinion it's not nearly a big enough deal to get worked up over.

I dont really like it myself, but I wouldn't accuse anyone of cheating or any dumb stuff like that for using it - yes, it is very useful information, but outside of a very very few extremely specific cases between super evenly matched players it's not gonna decide an engagement. And it's also part of the approved modpacks, so who the heck am I to judge anyway :Smile_teethhappy:

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

No mods. No intention to ever use one.

I prefer anonymous votes. There are easier ways to get to know my winrate (a very constant 57 %) then to create a thread with a complicated poll like this. :Smile_trollface:

Why did you decide that the break point needs to be at 60 %? What does it really matter? Wouldn't the more reasonable approach be to ask if the player feels like he plays better with mods, then without?

[SHEN]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team
2,433 posts
14,049 battles

I fail my vote - click too quick.

I play on "vanilla" game => no mods and WR of 61%+ the all usefull tolls are on the game.

The navigator mod is too strong or badly use I think.

[NWP]
Players
1,359 posts
10,664 battles

I play vanilla.

I used one, once upon a time, the one that shows the stats of the target. Then I memorized them.

I think that you really don't help yourself to "git gud" with mods. You depend on external factors too much. 

The only mod I would use is the one that hides the camos.

I like the grey ship color.

Regards

PS - I am a potato but I also don't consider the traffic lights a cheat. You can always shift and see what the target is doing.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,100 posts
19,981 battles

I only use the MM monitor. it gives me a decent idea of what to expect in a match and which targets I should pursue first.

On the downside I now have chronic depression from seeing so many potatoes running around with unbelievably abysmal stats.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2