You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

Do cyclones and strormfronts ruin the gaming experience?

40 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,932 posts
11,809 battles

I just wonder what you guys think about the 2 different weather effects in WoW? I do appreciate WG trying out different things in game to elevate the gaming experience over all. And I do appreciate weather being a pretty logic thing to add to a game about warships. I just wonder if this exact implementation to the game made it better or pretty much ruin the gaming experience for the players.

This said im a pretty frequent flyer in Hindenburg, which with its german armour, great guns, great torps and german hydro is exceptional good in these kind of weathers. But when im playing any other kind of ship (like the most other cruisers and all BBs) I find these effects extremely annoying and pretty much ruining the experience in the game. I think we all been in the slow moving BB sailing around tha map for 10-15 minutes trying to find something to shoot at but never getting close enough to anything to actually do.

If I had to choose id say I much rather have the "passing" storm front then the more permanent all covering cyclone.

Is it a fun experience to be in a 20 min game where you cant do anything exept sailing your ship for 10-15 of those minutes?

As I said, I really appreciate WG trying out different things, but for me, these weather fronts are a mistake. What do you guys think?

• Cool 1

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

Change the game? yes

Ruin it? I don't think so.

especially in this meta which is currently harder for destroyers, I suppose they love seeing cyclones and storms.

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
10,319 posts
9,108 battles

O-marks the spot is your friend in that situation. Its kinda funny being undetected in the flank of opponents, shooting at 9km in their broadside citadelling them :cap_haloween:

In general however, im not a big fan of those whether effects :cap_yes:

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,119 posts
20,088 battles

Not for me because they no longer have any effects on CVs. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
1,932 posts
11,809 battles
20 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Change the game? yes

especially in this meta which is currently harder for destroyers, I suppose they love seeing cyclones and storms.

But for me, if a game forces me to be totally inactive for the mayority of the game time, thats a bad function that ruins the experience. For me this is comparable to having a 10-15 min cutscene in a single player game that you cant cancel out of.

Im a player that takes pride in defeating other players by using good tactics and outplay the competition, this weather effect pretty much negates all that and forces everyone to pretty much YOLO in like Leroy Jenkins!

And sure, this is maybe one af the few things that actually caters to some DDs, that said, its not so fun for the DD if the ships that pops up 8 km away from you is a Harugumo, Kitakaze, Akizuki, Henri IV, Des Moines, Wooster etc. Its an effect that takes all skill out of the gameplay, its more rng and lottery who will survive (if any) in these situations.

• Cool 2

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
11,444 battles

Well i love cyclones and storms but cyclones are so damn rare! Whats wrong with being forced to close the distance? a cyclone is heaven for a german battleship, even for some cruisers! 

I personally like close quarters fights rather than kitting away from 20km or when everyone sits right next to each other covering 2 sectors! I thing we need more cyclones or other weather effects!

• Cool 4

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,698 battles
23 minutes ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

But for me, if a game forces me to be totally inactive for the mayority of the game time, thats a bad function that ruins the experience. For me this is comparable to having a 10-15 min cutscene in a single player game that you cant cancel out of.

How?

You can shoot at ships that other team members spot. You might not be as accurate but there is plenty to do.

These effects make the game more interesting and not just a slug-fest. I enjoy Cyclones, Strom fronts and Blizzards.

Tactics have to change, the minimap becomes more important, as if it wasn't important enough.

And occasionally you have to "Use the Force"...

I just wish that they DID have more effects on aircraft. These seem to be enhanced in the conditions that they shouldn't be able to safely take off and certainly landing would be a challenge, if not impossible.

But it is a game and reality has little effect!

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
71 posts
5,073 battles

I like them a lot because I'm one who prefers close-range fights than the standard way of fighting long distance. Whenever there is this atmospheric event I see it as an extra chance to win. I prefer storms because it makes everyone the same and it is not something circumscribed in motion that in the end does not lead to the advantages that I hope.

• Cool 2

Players
3,421 posts
16,738 battles

It depends upon the ship that I am playing. They fall into two groups:

A) Battleships, Destroyers and Cruisers with potent torpedoes = fine

B) Cruisers without torpedoes = not fine

If Wargaming are going to make these weather effects more frequent then I hope that they take this into account and buff group B (above)

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,698 battles
42 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

It depends upon the ship that I am playing. They fall into two groups:

A) Battleships, Destroyers and Cruisers with potent torpedoes = fine

B) Cruisers without torpedoes = not fine

If Wargaming are going to make these weather effects more frequent then I hope that they take this into account and buff group B (above)

What buffs would you be looking for?

Lower Detection Range in the weather conditions?

Edited by Cambera_1
Additional content
  • Cool 1

Players
5,074 posts

Well, I would actually like to see more variety in terms of weather effects, anything from beautiful sun soaked seas to rough seas in stormy weather. As for ruining the battles... well... I've noticed a curious correlation between being in the winning team before the cyclone/storm whatever and being magically transported into the losing team when the weather finally clears..... :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[CLTS]
Players
104 posts
5,826 battles

I love the storm that goes across the map, but the cyclone could use a "buff" as visually its really underwhelming. Other than that I like how they change game play temporarily.

• Cool 1

Players
156 posts
11,375 battles

I'm not a fan of either tbh but i prefer the Snowstorms over the Cyclones. The cyclones limit vision a little too much for my liking. The snowstorms are ok but get annoying the longer i'm inside the effects. I do appreciate they add a different element to the battles though.

[77MM]
Players
412 posts
14,477 battles
4 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

Change the game? yes

Cyclones suck for DDs - you can't see the radar ships coming

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,291 posts
24,441 battles

I would not mind those 2 if there was some realism involved, like reducing gun accuracy while maintaining the torpedoes less influenced. Funny that the less affected are the CVs, when in reality planes were the most affected and normally would not even take off in such a weather. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,154 posts
8,084 battles
39 minutes ago, 22cm said:

I would not mind those 2 if there was some realism involved, like reducing gun accuracy while maintaining the torpedoes less influenced. Funny that the less affected are the CVs, when in reality planes were the most affected and normally would not even take off in such a weather. 

Yes, this. PLUS I'd like some effects like high waves and ships movement.

• Cool 2

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Well, as a dd I love them. They are quite a bit challenging though since you can easily be surrounded or get into detection range. I think cruisers suffer the most, as they may end up at point blank range of bbs and then pretty much have to Yolo to stand a chance. 

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,698 battles

Sorry - When I play DDs I love storm fronts, cyclones and blizzards. The limited visibility helps no end.

• Cool 3

[BBMM]
Players
6,154 posts
8,084 battles

....aaand I also think that certain maps should have certain kind of storms/blizzards/whatever.

But I'm all for a bit 'more realism' (yes and I hate the radar-through-islands as well).

e37448cb4c0027f08b6674534f09f243.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
7,160 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

....aaand I also think that certain maps should have certain kind of storms/blizzards/whatever.

But I'm all for a bit 'more realism' (yes and I hate the radar-through-islands as well).

e37448cb4c0027f08b6674534f09f243.jpg

Maybe bonus or debuffs to certain aspects of the ship? So bright clear sunny weather a small bonus to range for main or secondary guns?

like idk 2-5%.

would be interesting to see storms and weather effect more than just sight even if its for a little while.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,154 posts
8,084 battles
21 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Maybe bonus or debuffs to certain aspects of the ship? So bright clear sunny weather a small bonus to range for main or secondary guns?

like idk 2-5%.

would be interesting to see storms and weather effect more than just sight even if its for a little while.

More dispersion, the further out you shoot the larger the spread.

Some guns having trouble, secondaries getting flooded, DDs not able to use guns...

Torpedoes having wild dispersion, torps going zig-zag... :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
609 posts
19,839 battles

my god. this low iq topics. 

and ruin your day when is raining outside???

yes... and what?? cann you switch off rain???

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,142 posts
8,959 battles
1 hour ago, Milan_G_ said:

my god. this low iq topics. 

Might want to look at your own topics.

I find the passing storm to be more fun than cyclone. I normally don't mind a cyclone except for the duration which can on occasion just be too damn long.