You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Victory campaign - what is the logic?

29 comments in this topic

Players
2,376 posts
20,791 battles

Can someone really explain to me what goes on in the heads of WG marketing when they design things like the Victory campaign?

I mean that's not the first time this has happened. They make up an event to dish out some incentives in hopes to keep the server population high. So far, so good. easy peasy. But to do it, they make up a super complicated formula and all kinds of sub-rules and loopholes and exceptions that I'm absolutely convinced no more than maybe 2% of players even put in the time studying those rules that you need to "decode" the best way to make the most of it. Because people don't come to WoWs to read fine print. They come to play pixel boats.

Is this maybe some sort of Russian cultural thing where I just lack some intercultural background info? Can't they do anything in a straightforward manner? Have decades of bureaucratic autocracy, or maybe the resistance to it, led to this deeply ingrained, collective urge to always use within miles and miles of boilerplate to conceal what's actually going on? Or something?

• Cool 6

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,653 posts
12,843 battles
1 hour ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Can someone really explain to me what goes on in the heads of WG marketing when they design things like the Victory campaign?

I mean that's not the first time this has happened. They make up an event to dish out some incentives in hopes to keep the server population high. So far, so good. easy peasy. But to do it, they make up a super complicated formula and all kinds of sub-rules and loopholes and exceptions that I'm absolutely convinced no more than maybe 2% of players even put in the time studying those rules that you need to "decode" the best way to make the most of it. Because people don't come to WoWs to read fine print. They come to play pixel boats.

Is this maybe some sort of Russian cultural thing where I just lack some intercultural background info? Can't they do anything in a straightforward manner? Have decades of bureaucratic autocracy, or maybe the resistance to it, led to this deeply ingrained, collective urge to always use within miles and miles of boilerplate to conceal what's actually going on? Or something?

If you can not understood simple rules as have Victory campaign  . . . :Smile_hiding:

Players
2,376 posts
20,791 battles
Vor 8 Minuten, Sigimundus sagte:

If you can not understood simple rules as have Victory campaign  . . . :Smile_hiding:

You're missing the point.

But thanks for illustrating it.

Read the post again that you quoted in full.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

What is the super complicated formula?

What are those sub-rules and loopholes you're talking about?

Can't they do anything in a straightforward manner? 

What makes you think it's not?

I don't get your point here, the design of this event is rather simple.

Players
2,376 posts
20,791 battles
Vor 8 Minuten, elblancogringo sagte:

So explain to an unfamiliar reader in one sentence what you need to do to get the biggest reward the most effectively efficientlyand why.

I mean this is a web forum. It is text based. And not even here, people are willing to read and understand even a moderate amount of text, far less than the rules of this event. Thanks also to you for playing.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
4 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

So explain to an unfamiliar reader in one sentence what you need to do to get the biggest reward the most effectively and why.

1- Play tier 10 random battles, fulfill special assigned objectives (bonus points, press tab at the beginning of the battle)

2- kill ships, earn achievements

Oh, and choose team honor 4 times out of 5.

Regards

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,252 posts
Vor 1 Minute, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor sagte:

So explain to an unfamiliar reader in one sentence what you need to do to get the biggest reward the most effectively and why.

Chose every day the team with normal difficulty and play to 500 points.

Vor 1 Stunde, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor sagte:

Because people don't come to WoWs to read fine print. They come to play pixel boats.

Such players will not really care about to maximize rewards, so what?

• Cool 1

Players
2,376 posts
20,791 battles

So we already have two fairly different anwers to the "how", no answer to the "why", ant the strategy laid out in the thread that is actually asking the question you answered, that's again fairly different. Seems not to be that straightforward after all. Thanks again, guys.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles
25 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

What is the super complicated formula?

What are those sub-rules and loopholes you're talking about?

What makes you think it's not?

There is literally a profit/time graph that you need to consult before choosing the optimal team for the day, thats bad event design.

And thats if you know roughly how long you will be able to play during a day, and your average points income/hour, if you dont know this, you are screwed into a sub-optimal choice.

• Cool 6

Beta Tester
71 posts
5,073 battles

I found the first two campaigns balanced and in their way I appreciated them (victory / honorable)

that of yamamoto it took me a while, some missions I didn't do because I think they are very difficult, but anyway I arrived at the end without excessive worries.

The "Hit Hard" campaign I hated deeply. It took me a year to finish it (a couple of weeks ago), a shameful farming and too specific missions to get almost no reward and a captain who has no skill to deserve all this effort. I left behind so many missions that I don't think I will ever do, since they require a type of game that I don't like, great luck in battle and, above all, rewards that do not apply the time and energy needed to complete them.

Beta Tester
3,186 posts
3,628 battles

Wargaming tries to always have some sort of event or special campaign going on, in order to spice up the normal gameplay with a few incentives, missions and rewards. Personally I rather like this, as it adds a bit of flavour to the game. Even aside from different people having different ideas of what is fun, however, Wargaming cant be expected to hit the nail right on the head every time they put together a new campaign. I try to read through the mission parameters at least once - to get the basic idea of what it is all about - but unless there is a certain reward I'd really like to get, I tend to go ahead and play the game more or less as I normally would, taking any achievements and rewards as a bonus.

The main exception to the above-mentioned approach is that I've found myself playing my tier I-IV ships less and less, since matches in these typically don't count when fulfilling mission objectives. No doubt this is intentional on Wargaming's side, in an effort to keep those lower tiers mainly for beginner players and thus restrict seal-clubbing.* This shows good business sense on behalf of the WoWs staff, offering players the carrot rather than - as they did for a time in WoT - the stick.**

* It should be noted that I count myself far below the level of skill that would let me qualify as a seal clubber.

** This particular stick took the form of Cruel and Unusual Matchmaking, which put players with a set minimum number of battles played - say, about five hundred - always at the bottom tier in in a three-tier spread, whenever they played in vehicles of tier IV and below. This made forays in one of my favourite tanks, the Russian T-46, something of a study in masochism.

• Cool 1

Players
392 posts
8,391 battles

I think what the OP was referring to was that the formatted wall of texts that WG wrote, was not clear and concise to the point.

I agree, brevity has never been their PR departments strong suit.

• Cool 4

[-TPF-]
Players
4,007 posts
16,526 battles
4 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Pick a team, get some tokens, get some stuff. I only really pay attention if I want the big prize, and I don't want Lazo, CVs or Russian BBs (I tend to sell the early access ones). 

[-AP-]
Players
2,606 posts
6,381 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Pick a team, get some tokens, get some stuff. I only really pay attention if I want the big prize, and I don't want Lazo, CVs or Russian BBs (I tend to sell the early access ones). 

The problem is that wargaming is like "Pick this team if you like the honor of the soviet navy blah blah blah" NO, just NO, thats not how any of this works.

There is literally a most efficient team to pick at any given time, and a graph to help choose, the problem is that wargaming doesnt cover this at all, the community had to make that graph by interpreting wargamings hieroglyphics.

If you are gonna make an event like this, cut down on the role-playing bs text in the instructions for the event and just put the rules and strategies as concise and helpful as you can. 

• Cool 4

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
19,654 battles
4 minutes ago, thiextar said:

cut down on the role-playing bs text

But it is this that they are most proud of.

I just wish that they made this sort of event optional. Not keen on this at all.

Players
98 posts
1,267 battles

I tend to agree with the OP: things like Honor/Glory need a really clear and straightforward TL;DR to enable people to quickly understand what the necessary tasks are, and what the rewards are.

If people then want to read the 'role-play' stuff, they can, and everyone else can get on with playing the game.

I assume the current strategy is entirely deliberate though: if you fancy the Lazo, for example, there is a good chance that quite a few players will get to the end of the collection phase a few tokens short and pay money to make up the deficit (especially since the end date for collection hasn't exactly been well-publicised). If the event was clearer, and more likely to be understood, perhaps fewer people would need to stump up the cash?

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,007 posts
16,526 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

"Pick this team if you like the honor of the soviet navy blah blah blah"

I think they're a great bunch of lads, and presumably this is as relevant to me (as a Brit) as the RN event stuff was to a Russian player. It adds flavour, at least.

Beta Tester
3,331 posts
14,684 battles

The uninterested or incapable dude

• doesn't need to care, as he will be asked if he wants Normal or Hard(er) Difficulty and he can then just play the game, since
    • missions are designed to reward good play in general.
    • No knowledge of rules required.
  • Later he can check his currency and what he can spend it on.
  • Super simple.  

The interested dude

• will have no problem at all understanding these simple events.
  • Having it identical every time would - in fact - be boring AF.
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
5,025 posts

Basically, does it all boil down to how fast you can get those points? The faster you can do it the more incentive you have to pick the harder team if I got this right (in case I didn't, let me keep my illusions....)

Players
2,376 posts
20,791 battles
Am 15.5.2019 um 14:32, Bicio sagte:

I found the first two campaigns balanced and in their way I appreciated them (victory / honorable)

Sorry, my bad, I meant "event", not "campaign".

The campaigns I actually find one of their better didactic tools in some respects.

[CATS]
Players
27,241 posts
14,525 battles
On 5/15/2019 at 1:04 PM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

So explain to an unfamiliar reader in one sentence what you need to do to get the biggest reward the most effectively efficientlyand why.

Play a lot and good (and choose the team with the highest difficulty for most tokens...)

or

just play to get tokens...

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,270 posts
On 5/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

For one, you can actually collect a fair bit of extra coal doing the objectives, getting free tokens to exchange for free boxes. Usually 300 coal per box for 30 tokens spent.

Players
1,709 posts
8,896 battles
On 5/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

The uninterested or incapable dude

• doesn't need to care, as he will be asked if he wants Normal or Hard(er) Difficulty and he can then just play the game, since
    • missions are designed to reward good play in general.
    • No knowledge of rules required.
  • Later he can check his currency and what he can spend it on.
  • Super simple.  

The interested dude

• will have no problem at all understanding these simple events.
  • Having it identical every time would - in fact - be boring AF.

Im the first one, to me the event is just a container cow

Beta Tester
936 posts
9,634 battles

The rules for this competition is so curved I gave up understanding it. The obvious way to get the most tokens out of each day is to play the hardest difficulty, since getting 40/50 tokens at the end point for the day severely outwheighs the winning team's side tokens for the current, and next day bonus tokens.

Players
2,376 posts
20,791 battles
Vor 14 Stunden, TheScarletPimpernel sagte:

For one, you can actually collect a fair bit of extra coal doing the objectives, getting free tokens to exchange for free boxes. Usually 300 coal per box for 30 tokens spent.

That's the incentive.

But they could just as well hand that out - and achieve the same goals - through an event like the Royal Navy Arc, which would be completely straightforward, or use formats like challenges and combat missions, which are also completely straightforward.

Instead, they think up some sort of pseudo-competition, with teams nobody gives a crap about being on or playing against, and several pages' worth of rules that only hardcore geeks even bother to read.