Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×

16 comments in this topic

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,520 posts
6,129 battles

Yes they are a good starting line. Turtleback so you can't get citadelled reliably if you show broadside, great secondaries from tier 7 and up, pretty good AA, Hydro from tier 8 and up so you can avoid torpedoes or rush a destroyer.

They are close quarter ships though, so backline sniping is not going to work. They reward more aggressive play and soaking damage for the team. If you want a more support oriented BB the IJN or french are better for that.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,520 posts
6,129 battles

In a sense they do. You will learn how to position and support your allies closer to the fight, and get map awarness because even though you can't really be citadelled broadside hits can still cause massive damage.

What you will find lacking is proper ranged support due to the shotgun dispersion on all of them and how to be punished, as again you don't really have a reachable citadell. Think of them as low risk medium reward in general.

• Cool 1

Players
43 posts
400 battles

Thanks!

Would I learn bad habits from this ship line because of not being citadelled? although I can still take huge amounts of damage from broadside.

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
5 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Thanks!

Would I learn bad habits from this ship line because of not being citadelled? although I can still take huge amounts of damage from broadside.

Yes. Most often people do.

Personally, my recommendations for first BB line is USN. You learn basics, if you mess up you get punished, if you play well, the improved repair party makes you actually decently tanky. And if its your first line, the downsides are less felt.

• Cool 1

Players
43 posts
400 battles

Thanks,

Are IJN battleships a good beginner line too? because I've heard USN BBs are quite slow.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,520 posts
6,129 battles
5 minutes ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Thanks,

Are IJN battleships a good beginner line too? because I've heard USN BBs are quite slow.

Yes they are. You will learn how to not get punished and they have really good guns that can reward good aim (the Fuso is a bit of a shotgun but you got so many guns and faster reload so it works out). And you are never hampered by the slow speed of the USN.

Any BB line is pretty good for a beginner to be fair. But the IJN and US are probably better if you want to properly learn general BB gameplay with positioning, gunnery and actually beeing punished. Once you have some games in one of those lines then you can branch out.

• Cool 1

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team
645 posts
4,879 battles

I'd like to add something: Yes, battleships are the easiest class to play at an average level.

But if you want to be successful in high tier too, I'd recommend to play some cruisers or even dds first. Espacially in T10 battleships can be killed very fast by good cruiser or destroyer players if your positioning is not good enough. Playing cruisers and destroyers will help you to learn how to avoid these situations.

• Cool 1

Players
1,647 posts
12,173 battles

Yes, up to the Bayern. Starting with Tier VII, things become arguably more difficult and commander skill-point intensive. Also the premium German BBs are questionable except for König Albert, and even that one has too little AA for the current carrier infestation of the meta. (PEF is super squishy and clumsy, and Scharnhorst relies on very good positioning and push timing.)

• Cool 1

Players
97 posts
260 battles
On 5/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, AwesomeBoat said:

I'm trying to decide between US DDs or KM DDs.

If it's your first DD line, I would go with the US - they have the merit of being perhaps the least knackered by CVs; their stealth was never great, so getting spotted by planes a lot has less of an impact, plus you get access to DefAA at Tier 5 which makes you about as prickly as a DD can be against planes.

At time of writing though, your battle count is 49; I would suggest playing as many different classes/nations as practical at this early stage (and don't go above T4 initially), assuming this is your first account. The low tier ships are very quick to research, and inexpensive to buy (plus you're getting several million silver as you unlock the various account levels), so it's fairly painless to mess about with a wide variety - as well as giving you better insight into what each class can/can't do, it'll give you wider experience before venturing into the +2 MM bracket (T5 and above).

BTW the KM DDs are a good second/third line of DDs to pursue (their AA is at least tolerable, and they're good hybrids overall, plus you have access to a couple of very good premiums, if you feel so inclined); even if you don't push them to high tiers, the low tier ships are splendid - the unusual forward-firing torps are great fun...

• Cool 1

Players
43 posts
400 battles

Thanks, I think the US DDs are good from what I've played on the public test server although their torpedo range is making me lean towards KM DDs

Players
97 posts
260 battles
1 hour ago, AwesomeBoat said:

Thanks, I think the US DDs are good from what I've played on the public test server although their torpedo range is making me lean towards KM DDs

The KM DDs are a good choice too, although once you're into the tiers that you'll probably spend most time with, the torp ranges are largely comparable (ignoring Gearing, that gets a glorious 16 km option).

I've been playing both lines since the CV rework (mainly mid to high tiers, so nothing without the ability to stealth torp); the US ones do better against planes, but the hydro/smoke combination found on the KM ones is really very nice at times (and it's useful to practice, as it's helpful for competitive modes sometimes, although most players know about that trick now - thanks to Loyang if nothing else).

However:

Image result for both is good gif

• Cool 1

Players
1,390 posts
5,306 battles
On 5/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, AwesomeBoat said:

Are KM BBs a good beginer line?

This might help you with aiming: 

• Cool 1