Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Strefs

Lenin Review – a good ship in a questionable meta?

53 comments in this topic

[TSUN]
Community Contributor, Beta Tester
335 posts
6,084 battles

unknown.pngLenin – a good ship in a questionable meta?

With carrier planes leering at your team, waiting for any unfortunate soul to drift off far enough from the blob so they can make it regret opening the game again in 4 weeks, and Battleships - sitting at maximum range so as not to scratch their paint job - lobbing shells that take 20+ seconds to arrive but still manage to citadel perfectly, the Lenin stares you straight in the eyes and asks: “Do you want the power to push?”, and you answer yes. It’s crazy, and definitely not the right time, but you agree nonetheless. Knowing full well that you will most likely not come out of it alive, only by the grace of your team will you perhaps survive - a fool’s errand. You still take to the helm of this steel behemoth and steer it into the fray.

What Lenin offers:unknown.png

63200 Hitpoints, 45mm of deck armour, 32mm front and aft with a 100mm belt. A flat citadel compared to Vladivostok, no turtleback.

3x3 406mm Main Batteries. All of them mounted in the bow. 2 are super-firing, one behind the 2 mounts, similar to Nelson. The elevated mount has a 360 degree turn radius, while the 3rd gun receives worse firing angles due to the obstruction toward the front. 180 degree turn time is 30 seconds. HE and AP alphas are 5850 and 13100 respectively.

Her AA suite is made up of standard LR 5.8km mounts with 128 DPS and 5 flak bursts and MR 3.5km with 358dps and 9 flak bursts. No short range, so there’s a 1km window of no AA.

Maneuverability is on the better side, with a top speed of 29.9kn (Sierra Mike). The rudder’s 180 time is clocked in at 13,5 seconds.

A fully concealed Lenin has a surface detectability of 13,1km and an air detectability of 8.9km. Smoke concealment after firing guns is 16.1km.

Captain Skills:

Skill tier Tier 1 Tier 2  Tier 3 Tier 4
First Pick Priority Target Expert Marksman

Superintendent

Concealment Expert
Second Pick Expert Loader Jack of All Trades Basics of Survivability Fire Prevention
Third Pick Preventive Maintenance      

Full survivability to make the most out of a push with 2 points in EM for quick turret traverse.

Modifications:

unknown.png

Rudder shift and concealment for the ability to get close and maneuver more reliably when there.

Gameplay and Analysis:moments after detonating on what would've been a very strong game

Lenin is the first premium BB for the Russian tree. As such she is also the first tier 8 premium battleship to boast the new Soviet gimmick: accuracy increase below 12km, accuracy decrease above 12km. This, packaged with the front mounted guns, good side armour, decent maneuverability, and relatively small superstructure, make her ideal for situational pushes.
This is what Lenin offers. Whether her captain makes use of this or not, is the main determining factor to the kind of performance the ship will have. Lenin likes to be close to her enemies, that’s where she works best and that’s where she should be. Sadly, however, being close to your enemies is not an ideal place for a battleship. For all the HE focus fire and the destroyer torpedoes, there is no place a battleship wouldn’t rather be. That’s not even taking carriers into account. Piloted competently, a player can make Lenin work most of the time. If one is selective, singling out ships to “push”, Lenin will provide the reliability to make it work.
That is pretty much how she performed during the first few test iterations, and that’s the way she performs now. Absolutely atrocious at range, very good at close range – as long as you don’t get focused down. And that’s a bit of a problem right now. Perhaps she’d perform better a few months back, who knows?
For me – a non BB player – Lenin is a ship with ups and downs. On good games you can easily go above 100k damage, on really bad ones you average around 50k. And let me tell you, I got more bad games than good ones, but it’s not entirely the ship that is to blame here. You see I am a very impatient player, BBs combine everything I dislike: slow and lumbersome gameplay, and inaccurate RNG based armament.

A game that was over before it startedSure, there are games where you can do very little to prevent it from going bad, a full team blob rush on one flank for instance. You can’t single out a ship to focus, you cannot get close to the enemy because they’ll shred you to pieces. So you’re stuck there, kiting away for most of the game, knowing full well that it’ll eventually end with you running out of HP, heals, and team mates.
But other times there really isn’t any reason other than getting bored. And I did do that quite a few times. Either that, or pushing a little too hard. Which happens… sometimes. The easiest work around to this is for me is to play in a division. This also enables you to take more risks when advancing in the right direction.

Pros:

• Strong guns, good penetration
  • Good armour layout and strong deck
  • Frontal gun layout ideal for playing to the ship’s strength
  • Decent maneuverability

Cons:

• 3rd gun fire angles doesn’t allow it to fire most of the time
  • terrible long range performance, lacking flexibility
  • Large non-turtleback citadel, flat broadside

Lenin AccuracyConclusion:

So there she is in all her glory. Difficult to solo, fun when it works out. Sadly for me, the drawbacks, in combination with the fact that is a battleship, means that I will probably not take her out a lot. With the current meta in the game, I feel that it’ll cause me more grief than joy. Don’t let that be a deal breaker though. If you enjoy this type of gameplay or are looking for a new flavour of BB, and have a few clan mates or division mates to play with, this ship might be for you. If you’re still unsure, you can wait for the Vladivostok, which is essentially the same ship, but offers a more reliable citadel, a more usual gun layout, and a lot more hitpoints.

GIVEAWAY CLOSED. WINNER: Shyrant ON EU

Lenin giveaway

• Cool 19
  • Bad 1

[CR33D]
Beta Tester
623 posts
6,470 battles

slightly better guns than a Roma... not much to say.

• Cool 1

Players
262 posts
2,211 battles

Thx for the review, I like the compact form and format, since I often visit the forums on mobile!

Players
2,063 posts
7,265 battles

Tier 8 you say?

No thank you MM. Seeing HE spammers at tier 9-10.  Enough said.  The Nelson has that lovely tier 7 MM. 

Vladicostok more interesting and better at the mo.

• Cool 3

[CLTS]
Players
51 posts
2,635 battles

as I have the Nelson and the JB I might hold off on this purchase for now... But the Lenin looks darn fine! Nice review! Thanks for your work!

[TSUN]
335 posts
6,084 battles
8 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Though not the first premium BB for the Russian tech tree... 

True, but considering how different both Oktyabrskaya and Nikolai are, this one's the first true RUBB premium. Nikolai is no longer available and Okyabrskaya is technically a Freemium due to the fact that it was made available through a mission.

Players
1,103 posts
3,520 battles

Sub 20k, range on guns, no spotter plane and no German like secondaries, I will happily part with my money for WG, just not with this.

As soon as I can, the Vlad will get the chop too.

• Cool 3

Players
960 posts
12 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Sub 20k, range on guns, no spotter plane and no German like secondaries, I will happily part with my money for WG, just not with this.

As soon as I can, the Vlad will get the chop too.

Vlad seems situational. Depending on MM, tier, team... Can be great if top tier, can survive and win with the team in a tier X battle too.

Players
5,022 posts
6,146 battles
28 minutes ago, Strefs said:

True, but considering how different both Oktyabrskaya and Nikolai are, this one's the first true RUBB premium. Nikolai is no longer available and Okyabrskaya is technically a Freemium due to the fact that it was made available through a mission.

OR is now available for coal too.

[EUTF]
Players
172 posts
11,357 battles

Flambass test it in his stream by playing multiple games in it. It was good tanking ship but inconsisetend with its guns even close. Go to Flambass twitch to see for yourselves

Beta Tester
4,355 posts
18,849 battles
1 hour ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Vlad seems situational. Depending on MM, tier, team... Can be great if top tier, can survive and win with the team in a tier X battle too.

Vlad is good to lead a push, if you get a team brave enough to follow you. If you get a coward camping team, you re barbecue.

Also, carriers love you a lot. When you re pushing at 10 km, you can not maneuver against planes or you risk showing broadside to the ships you re brawling with. Something that can be done when you re camping and sniping at 20 km with other BBs. 

• Cool 1

[DSPA]
Players
447 posts
3,066 battles

If you compare the Lenin vs Vladivostok. And compare the Massachusetts vs North Carolina. Which one differs the most from the tech tree ships. The Lenin or the Massachusetts?

I have to know because there is little reason to buy a ship if that ship has the same characteristics as the silver ship.

Players
816 posts
6 hours ago, E4GLEyE said:

as I have the Nelson and the JB I might hold off on this purchase for now

Same here, I have Nelson and JB. I looked at this Russian BB premium and do like the custom camo, if you're willing to pay the top price for it that is (which you know is same price as buying a T9 premium ship, which is more worth the spending on). But with already having JB, a T9 BB that does better in top tier games. No real point even looking now at any  premium T8 BBs.

But I was put off this ship anyway when seeing it only has 18k shooting range. Causes too much of an issue that in top tier matches when most other BB ships are shooting 20+ k and even top tier HE spamming cruises can match your shooting range

• Cool 1

[TWS]
Players
33 posts
11,426 battles

Have to admit, that AP alpha damage are rather nice 131 000 :cap_haloween:.... Sorry couldn't resist to not say anything about it.. 

But what comes to review, i would say it's great and tells everything what i might wanted to ask, so thank you for that 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,519 posts
15,243 battles

Single squad of Enterprise AP DBs will murder this ship guaranteed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,417 posts
10,401 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Single squad of Enterprise AP DBs will murder this ship guaranteed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can confirm this. One pass, triple cit.

Ohhhhh, and a nice long ship for Kaga and Shokaku to torp with ease... also can confirm.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
3 posts
1,627 battles

May I ask a question here?

I absolutley love that Victory banner Camo, love it to bones,  but it's only sold within the admiral pack which is ... not so satisfying, I mean I have to spend a more 30 pound for this single camo and I dont really need those flags/commander or somewhat.

Then I heard that we can just buy the single Lenin ship and the Victory banner camo is sold at 5k doubloons in the game.

Is that true? Can someone who brought the Lenin help me confirm this? Thanks.

Players
960 posts
4 hours ago, Sometimes_Naive said:

May I ask a question here?

I absolutley love that Victory banner Camo, love it to bones,  but it's only sold within the admiral pack which is ... not so satisfying, I mean I have to spend a more 30 pound for this single camo and I dont really need those flags/commander or somewhat.

Then I heard that we can just buy the single Lenin ship and the Victory banner camo is sold at 5k doubloons in the game.

Can't confirm but with the most expensive bundle you get both the Victory Banner and regular premium camo. Both have the same stats, so regardless 5000 is a tier X price for a tier 8 camo.

Hope you know you can get the same camo for the Vladivostok for 500 tokens. It is said that the two ships are similar, different turret layout and armor scheme, the same guns but they use different shells so no idea if one or the other has better penetration values. Interestingly, regular tier 8 camo for the Vlad costs 3000 doubloons... and if the Victory Banner marked up cost is 5000 doubloon, correlating that with the 500 token price in Armory would make the Lazo cost the equivalent of 15000 doubloons. Hmm...

@OP Thanks for the review!

[TSUN]
335 posts
6,084 battles
14 hours ago, Micklenmob said:

If you compare the Lenin vs Vladivostok. And compare the Massachusetts vs North Carolina. Which one differs the most from the tech tree ships. The Lenin or the Massachusetts?

I think you will find that the Massa is a lot more different from the non-premium. She's a bit more inaccurate and has less range, but the biggest difference are those secondaries. If you build them identically, I don't think it'd make a huge difference though.

Personally for me, the closest comparable pairing would be Gascogne and Richelieu, though Gascogne gets a reload booster, which makes her a lot stronger.

5 hours ago, Sometimes_Naive said:

Yes.

unknown.png

• Cool 1

Players
1,103 posts
3,520 battles
On 5/9/2019 at 10:14 PM, Micklenmob said:

I have to know because there is little reason to buy a ship if that ship has the same characteristics as the silver ship.

Massachusetts has awesome secondaries and a spotter plane, Lenin has well nothing really, tier 8 Nelson with a fighter plane.

Players
1,103 posts
3,520 battles
On 5/10/2019 at 12:43 PM, Strefs said:

I think you will find that the Massa is a lot more different from the non-premium. She's a bit more inaccurate and has less range, but the biggest difference are those secondaries. If you build them identically, I don't think it'd make a huge difference though.

Personally for me, the closest comparable pairing would be Gascogne and Richelieu, though Gascogne gets a reload booster, which makes her a lot stronger.

Yes.

unknown.png

So whats the range of Lenin's secondaries?

[GOON]
Beta Tester
11 posts
1,773 battles

The Lenin is a REALLY fun and IMO really well balanced ship. Brawling in it is a ton of fun, and it has real weaknesses people can exploit. So well done on that front, Wargaming!

However, I would absolutely recommend people not buy it, because the current matchmaker just screws it over completely. Against T10 boats you'll get overmatched and HE spammed to death while you can't push in to take advantage of the Lenin's close range accuracy, because your T10 battleships are in a corner somewhere and you'll be pushing alone.