Sign in to follow this  
WG_Lumberjack

0.8.4 - PTS - Ranked with CVs

24 comments in this topic

WG Staff
1,994 posts
3,516 battles

Captains!

One of the key features of the new season is the admission of aircraft carriers into Ranked Battles! Unlike any other types of ships, which normally have a clear-cut counter ship type, carriers don't have much difficulty chasing solo ships. Groups of ships, however, make for a harder target. So, maps and modes for the new season have been carefully chosen to enable ships to support each other in countering air attacks. There will be a limit of one carrier for each team in the new season.

Read full article HERE.

Please leave any general feedback about update 0.8.4 here. Should your feedback concern one of the following topics, please leave it in the respective thread:

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
109 posts
7,441 battles

it's CVs not CV's

one CV, two CVs

CV's planes; CV's citadel; CV's concealment

see the difference!?

[TRRC]
Players
566 posts

Ranked with CVs... I'm not mad about that, but one thing I did notice playing few... it's going to be just CV, BBs, DDs and maybe a mino or a worcester... first I played there were a CV and then 4 yamato 1 CA and 1 DD... second no CV, 3 BBs, 1Ca, 3 DDs. Don't see a chance for the poor CAs...

WG Staff
1,994 posts
3,516 battles
18 hours ago, zmeul said:

it's CVs not CV's

one CV, two CVs

see the difference!?

Yes, of course! Thanks and sorry :)

Beta Tester
109 posts
7,441 battles
37 minutes ago, WG_Lumberjack said:

Yes, of course! Thanks and sorry :)

what are you sorry for, it's not like you did it on purpose .. or did you

WG Staff
1,994 posts
3,516 battles
12 minutes ago, zmeul said:

what are you sorry for, it's not like you did it on purpose .. or did you

Of course not! I've made a mistake, I felt like apologizing. :) 

• Cool 2

[KWM]
Players
17 posts
20 hours ago, zmeul said:

it's CVs not CV's

one CV, two CVs

see the difference!? 

Love it, I'm in the apostrophe police too.

How about this one? Imagine BOTS clan is having problems with their citadels on their carriers.

BOTS's CVs' citadels? :cap_yes:

I'm not sure if PTS ranked teams will be indicative of the actual live server team make-up, but the rental ships is a poor move I think - you can't even put camo on them, plus being driven by an inexperienced player (on that ship)? Team mates won't like that...

[PEC]
Players
344 posts
1,785 battles

Blobbing is a nightmare in ranked. Enemy team huddled together and any approach with planes is a straight up melt lucky to get one plane in twenty through, I can't complain that overlapping AA wasn't doing it's job, but the ranked meta will be awful if teams just park behind a rock together or aura-huddle.

• Funny 1

Players
1,651 posts
12,258 battles

A simply disgusting, broken cripple of an idea and the last-but-one straw to make me get out completely.

The final straw will be carriers in Clan battles.

Also I note you're not planning to hand out rental ships in much the same manner as Clan Battles, but even supply them with 19-pt captains and not charge anything for redistributing commander skills. That is way too much fun for noobs and completely inconsistent with your fun-sucking-through-CVs policy of the past few months. Noobs should have to bring their own low skill captains to Ranked, so more experienced players have an easier time sealclubbing them.

Also, by WHICH rationale are there no rental aircraft carriers when players can rent every other ship type?

• Cool 2

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
205 posts
9,109 battles

To be fair the "blobbing" isn't that much of a problem, with the Hak's 8km torps and 6.1km concealment, the torps just "pop up" in front of the enemy, played 10 ranked battles today on the PT, 60% winrate and didn't lose a star once, every battle over 100k damage easy peasy...

WG, you may have to look at the whole "save a star" thing as CV's will usually be the last to die and I could easily add 50k damage to my totals when running, very easy to save the star, why not just remove the whole "save your star" thing completely?

TB.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,047 posts
2,085 battles

This is a bad idea, all ready a skill issue with CV if you get a bad CV your a slot down fighting 6 vs 7, plus one less ship to cap. And DDs still get wrecked by CVs.

DD life is near impossible with all the radar spam, CV spam its pointless playing as a DD.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Players
103 posts
9,526 battles
On 5/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, WG_Lumberjack said:

Of course not! I've made a mistake, I felt like apologizing. :) 

well thats 2 firsts for WG staff, admitting to making a mistake AND apologizing :Smile_veryhappy:

[-NBS-]
[-NBS-]
Players
89 posts
13,515 battles

I was in Public Test server in a Midway, and my planes couldn't pass enemy AA, when enemy ships were stucked together.

Full captain and full Hp planes.

45 seconds waiting is not long or short time, it is ok, I just put some waypoints on the Map and waited to see what my team was doing to support.

I just don't want to see new players playing ranked battles, I ve thought that T10 supposed to be the motive for old players to continue playing as elite or whatever.

If anyone (and I mean anyone) can get a T10 and rush into battle...then where is the fun?

I ve seen the amazing things that people do up to T8, and I realy don't want to see them at ranked.

Anyway, build sci-fi Tier 11 ships now that I ve said this...

Dauntless landing gear stays down after take-off, maybe it needs to be fixed for the shake of good visuals.

And as FIXCV's_Nautical_metaphor mentioned above, why you can't get a T10 CV?

I am sure that the answer is : well we ve thought no, because giving to newbies T10 is more than enough, giving them a T10 CV would be a disaster for any team.

[-NBS-]
[-NBS-]
Players
89 posts
13,515 battles

Sorry I ve forgot to mention, I ve seen a Midway detonated a Montana....

Maybe no unlimited planes will help? In the old CV days you have had some limitation in planes.

I am not saying have 10 squadrons and that's it, I am just suggesting that for the second ten squadrons some more preparation time before take off.

So that way the CV captain could not spam planes the whole match.

• Boring 2

Players
10 posts
4,410 battles
On 5/15/2019 at 9:50 PM, HelldiverGr said:

Maybe no unlimited planes will help? In the old CV days you have had some limitation in planes.

I am not saying have 10 squadrons and that's it, I am just suggesting that for the second ten squadrons some more preparation time before take off.

It is good to first get a good squadron experience and then give advice!
There is nothing to do with an old game, because even aircraft carriers are very edited*
Only one ship and a 10th level deregister drops all my planes in a bunch, and you're talking about more limitations on what to play in this case for honor and glory until you kill me?
I have a lot of videos !!!
Greetings

* Language please

Players
90 posts
22,646 battles

CV in the ranked? Thank you, I finally have a good excuse not to participate in the ranked! :Smile_trollface:

Already, those ridiculous CVs (post rework) have made the game in random mode extremely unpleasant;

in the ranked, which by its nature is already stressful, the addition of CVs will make it truly unbearable.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PEC]
Players
344 posts
1,785 battles

So far the blobbing makes the CV a spotter and not much more until one of the teams breaks ranks.

DD's are avoiding epicentres leading to a kind of non-capture who-blinks-first stalemate. Perhaps maps with more caps will evolve into split teams, but thus far the team that blobs and pushed aggressively wins.

Overlapping AA is appropriately lethal, but to the point of useless.

20 minute wait times for ranked still, it's ok to offer incentives to participate, but it doesn't bode well for summer season testing if nobody is online, particularly for ranked testing with CV's.

[TOWAR]
[TOWAR]
Players
5 posts
5,853 battles

CV is a very strong and game deciding class especially with only having that few people per team, like in ranked. 

It encourages people to play in at least groups of 2 ships, if not more and makes the overall games experience slower.

Capping is harder to perform and most caps will not get flipped over the course of the game. Most games are decided by capping since CV generally kill/spot or attack ships that try to move alone or cap.

On live server there might be a problem up the ladder in higher leagues when more players what to play CVs and not enough players are there or want to play surface ships, since there is only 1 CV per team.

Epicenter is one of the worst modes since it limits teams in there ability to form smaller battle groups. Maps, like Riposte that encourage 2 battle groups should work the best.

While playing carrier I noticed that most teams are very limited in there maneuverability because of the blobbing up and the CV catching every one trying to leave it. Maybe limit the CVs ability to regain plains so that bad game play by the CV gets punished harder.

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
1 post
1,197 battles
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, HelldiverGr said:

This really depends on the CV in question if the team groups even slightly British CVs can easily get de-planed so a blanket approach would make them unplayable in some circumstances. This would be unfair to a team with a British CV vs a US or IJN CV IMHO.

[SDS7]
Players
33 posts
11,273 battles
On 5/7/2019 at 3:47 PM, WG_Lumberjack said:

Captains!

One of the key features of the new season is the admission of aircraft carriers into Ranked Battles! Unlike any other types of ships, which normally have a clear-cut counter ship type, carriers don't have much difficulty chasing solo ships. Groups of ships, however, make for a harder target. So, maps and modes for the new season have been carefully chosen to enable ships to support each other in countering air attacks. There will be a limit of one carrier for each team in the new season.

Read full article HERE.

Please leave any general feedback about update 0.8.4 here. Should your feedback concern one of the following topics, please leave it in the respective thread:

Puting CV´s in ranked that you still are doing rework on is bad and at the same time puting rented ships in too is even a worse idea you will totally ruin ranked. And this give me a reason to not play ranked next season thx WG for that

• Cool 1

Players
16 posts
9,330 battles

so you basicly eliminated tactics to stay in a group, thats nice.

ofcourse all those new players with zero experience who buy a premium t8 will make the new ranked a lottery, except for the cv players who will more than likely keep their star.

they are allways last to be found so they have all the time in the world to find the isolated ships.

i know this has no use but why o why do you insist that every bloody game must have a cv in it.

play the game yourself and read the pleasure when there is no cv present. PEOPLE LOVE THAT

and i know not all, i wish you would do a survey on all the players with 1000 battles and more and make them public.

if you feel confident enough the majority wants this new game style, why not.

it would also end this never ending crap about those wretched cvs

[Y0L0]
Players
35 posts
3,805 battles

Terrible idea. The impact of a carrier in a 7 vs 7 game is even greater and more damaging than in random battles. You need to add proper counterplay before adding them to ranked battles. I'm going to avoid this season, it's that bad. Who really thought that a class with infinite range able to strike with impunity from the corner of the map while all other classes have to reveal their ships was a good idea? Remove planes infinite range (fuel is a thing) and add fire bloom when they take off then we can talk.

• Cool 1

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
205 posts
9,109 battles

I've played the CV's in ranked, they are powerful, some more than others.

The Hak with the stealth torps has now been nerfed (yet again) so it's back to practicing the "slingshot" drops and pre-dropping and chipping away at the blobs as they move to the objectives. The actual games will vary massively depending on the maps; tears of the cruisers epicenter is dps race, greece will be down to the one or 2 players that break away from the pack and get focused by the CV, I don't know what other maps are included because I only saw greece and tears exclusively, not a great map rotation mechanic.

Should be an interesting season at least, could be a complete sh&% show or actually better than the cruisers hugging islands meta we have had for the past couple of years, all change I guess.

Am thinking the Audacious might actually be a good choice this time around, everything is more consistent and for resetting caps the carpet bombs might just be the perfect answer to the smoked up DD's. Assuming a bloody Mino is not hiding in there too.

TB.

[WAZ]
Players
32 posts
1,476 battles

An inquiry rather than feedback, reaching Rank 1, it would have required at least ~30 victories, correct?

I didn't get to participate in Ranked this test, but I'd still like to know the requirement of the enlisted reward.

- KitCat.