You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HardLens

Wait What...?! 6 DD's not a Surprise with Wargaming

59 comments in this topic

[CATS]
Players
28,937 posts
15,138 battles

And I thought DD are an endangered spezies....

Hint: Expect suprises during off-hours....

• Funny 1

Players
344 posts
3,100 battles
11 minutes ago, Asakka said:

But i thought DDs are dying 75b4a9114fb4f02.jpg

38 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

CVs are in fact not punishing enough to keep the DD-zombie-horde in check. 

49 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

And I thought DD are an endangered spezies....

Hint: Expect suprises during off-hours....

1 hour ago, kapnobathrac said:

It’s all about CVs now man please keep up with the news

1 hour ago, HardLens said:

dd.png

And you would consider this an adequate sample size to make such claims?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Beta Tester
3,494 posts
16,026 battles
27 minutes ago, who_dares_wins said:

And you would consider this an adequate sample size to make such claims?

This post is just the occasion to say it. 

If all the DD whining about radars and CVs was taken too seriously, even more cowards would be hiding in this class, avoiding to be spotted all game. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,949 battles

Dude, be happy. I had 2 games with 3 CVs per team in lesss than a week. Both were tier 8 games, one was 3 T8 CVs per team, the otherwas 2 T8 and 1 T6 per team. And the map was a small one, that is used starting from tier 7 games. 

Both were the most fun, engaging and overconfident games I have ever had in a long time... 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
3,029 posts
1 hour ago, 22cm said:

Dude, be happy. I had 2 games with 3 CVs per team in lesss than a week. Both were tier 8 games, one was 3 T8 CVs per team, the otherwas 2 T8 and 1 T6 per team. And the map was a small one, that is used starting from tier 7 games. 

Both were the most fun, engaging and overconfident games I have ever had in a long time... 

3 cvs games are a riot true

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,303 posts
9,168 battles

I mean if you're playing at 6 in the morning then you should be expecting the matchmaker to be a bit out of it...

• Cool 1

Players
1,321 posts
20,183 battles

Well, you found yourself in a DD party (6 DDs or more per team) as I use to call them. But those are pretty rare nowadays: I think the most I've seen after the rework hit has been 5 per team and only a couple of times, while the usual is one or two.

Back in the old times (urgh, that sounded pretty bad considering that I'm newer to the game than most of the others replying) DD parties and incomplete MM filled with DDs were commonplace from 03:00 to 05:00 UTC. I still remember one where 7 out of 8 ships were destroyers, the lone battleship surely got a brown alert when he saw the pre-battle roster.

Salute.

• Cool 3

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,556 battles

This might be a good time to realize, that much-maligned MatchMaker does not actually CREATE new players who would then conveniently play exactly those ships each individual player would prefer to play against. It merely TRIES to create equal and matching teams to face each other, using whatever ships the players have chosen to play with. So if 12 out of the 24 players needed to create 2 teams have chosen DD's and decide to stick with that choice instead of swapping ships after queuing a while. Obviously this will happen and worse. Especially in odd hours, when there aren't enough players online to begin with. i once ended up in a match with 23 BB's while I was in Hipper (my first game in that ship). Needless to say the game was was unfortunately short, hopeless and full of pain.:fish_boom:

But then again each player can see the queue and what ships are in it, when queuing so I could see there were only BB's in queue and still did not change my ship - So my own fault really. Queuing is the time to reconsider your ship choice, if it seems imbalanced because it is really up to each player to make that choice (of course, sometimes you just get thrown in right away and don't have time to change but that's just rotten luck then). If everyone stubbornly sticks with their original choice, then these things will happen from time-to-time and there's nothing WG or MM can do about it. :cap_old:

[-FCK-]
Players
450 posts
4,394 battles
2 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

This post is just the occasion to say it. 

If all the DD whining about radars and CVs was taken too seriously, even more cowards would be hiding in this class, avoiding to be spotted all game. 

That's what literally most of DDs have been reduced to, hiding behind stronger AA- therefore being useless. The CVs now take the role of the primary spotter and DD counter. Why play DDs at all then

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles
4 hours ago, HardLens said:

dd.png

These kind of "strange MM" pictures are most of the times cv games... I wonder why... :cap_hmm:

Did you wait in the queue more than 5 minutes? (btw you are responsible for that kind of MM then)

Did you get pulled by the MM the second you entered the queue? (the other cv is at fault then)

Expect funky MM in "unpopular" hours of the day especially when playing cv.  (not as bad like before the rework but still)

• Cool 2

Players
1,321 posts
20,183 battles
37 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

But then again each player can see the queue and what ships are in it

Not completely correct: the queue shows you which ships and their classes (although I'm not sure how it works regarding CVs since the rework) from your own tier, including yours, are waiting and how many are there within your MM spread, but not telling which class they belong to.

Salute.

Players
2,413 posts
14,371 battles

Out of 5 games today DDs: 4, 1, 2, 1, 2. CVs: 0, 2, 2, 1, 1.  BBs: only one time 4, rest of games business

as usual with 5 each team. Some things never change:cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,556 battles
1 hour ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Not completely correct: the queue shows you which ships and their classes (although I'm not sure how it works regarding CVs since the rework) from your own tier, including yours, are waiting and how many are there within your MM spread, but not telling which class they belong to.

Salute.

Of course, you are correct there man. :cap_yes:

That is why we often have imbalances like 4 radars in one team and just 1 or 2 in the other. because ships get matched simply according to generic ship class instead of the actual ship characteristic. On the other hand it might get too complicated (=slow) if all the details, or even most, were considered. Although that said, it seems to take the tiers and countries into account to some extent at least, but then again we did have a game yesterday where our 2 Kageros were matched against 2 Akitsukis in the enemy team. :cap_wander_2::Smile_facepalm:

So not quite perfect yet, I reckon... :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Players
3,495 posts

Time to change tactics, and the DD's actively hunt down he CV's, My Kaga was destroyed by a very well played Lightning the other day who crept through to surprise me as my team were losing the flank, (I did congratulate him in chat but he did not reply) think this is hard, just remember the CV player wil have planes up over caps and all sorts of area's, he or she won't have a clue whats going on around his or her CV due to being preoccupied by dodging flak, it does not seem to be for a lot of DD players.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

At what time did you play that match? Because if you posted that screenshot right after you had the game, it meant you played in the early morning and it wouldn't be a bloody wonder if MM is iffy at fringe hours.

Players
6,058 posts
12,083 battles
2 hours ago, FallenOrchid said:

What is the point of this thread? I had matches with zero DD recently. Happens, rarely. So what?

What is the point of his opinion?

What is the point of your opinion?

What's the point?!?!?!?! :fish_nerv:

Players
6,058 posts
12,083 battles
5 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

Out of 5 games today DDs: 4, 1, 2, 1, 2. CVs: 0, 2, 2, 1, 1.  BBs: only one time 4, rest of games business

as usual with 5 each team. Some things never change:cap_haloween:

I didn't count, but the last week or 2 I noticed a decrease in the number of carriers (with which I mean that I had actually 2 games without any carriers in consecutive order, which was absolutely unthinkable since the carriers started flooding the game) and maybe only a single game with 2 carriers each team. And thank the gods also somewhat fewer battles with a tier 10 carrier, I don't care as much about the other tier ones.

I also noticed a decrease in the number of destroyers, usually there being 2 each team instead of the 4 or 5 we used to have before the rework hit the water.

Even had a single game without any DDs and it was pure bliss! Everyone could finally push without fear of getting torped and the game as a whole was more dynamic. It was so weird, many players seemed unsure of what to do without any torp spammers making the big boats more passive.

I also notice that the DDs that we do have in the game are usually playing like sh1t in both teams regardless of whether they are in a carriergame or not :cap_like:

I barely play ships anymore that have little AA, except the Mogami and so far the few battles I had in her were also pure bliss. But then again I totally loved my Benson grind right after CV rework was released. I got so much bad press for telling certain stubborn players to git gut :Smile_sad:

But now they still get what they wanted and will soon be the most OP class in the game again. While CVs are kinda like arty in WoT, DDs are the invisible and unspotted TDs waiting in a bush till someone starts to push.

The only other ship I kinda grind is Iowa but despite it's ok AA, this ship seems like it was born for me to hate it :Smile_hiding:

Frankly I find the games with lots of BBs and CCs the best and most fun ones regardless of what ship class I play.

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,827 posts
25,557 battles
7 hours ago, CptMinia said:

I mean if you're playing at 6 in the morning then you should be expecting the matchmaker to be a bit out of it...

well, if posttime=matchtime it must've been this morning?!... and i bet all those dd's q'ed up as dd's coz they were like "hey, it's morning, there're no cv's on yet" :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1