You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
elblancogringo

Rocket planes attack pattern

18 comments in this topic

Players
1,176 posts
7,237 battles

Hi captains

After reading the latest dev blog about upcoming CV changes, I saw WG wants to force dive bombers to attack in a parallel course to the ship, to ensure bombs can hit. This, to protect destroyers.

So I'm just asking, why is the rocket planes target a circular one?

I often see rockets damaging destroyers to a terrible extent in just a few runs. A circular attack pattern makes it extremely easy for the cv player, he doesn't care at all about the angle of attack. And it makes it impossible for the destroyer to dodge.

Why not making the rocket planes target area not a circle anymore?

That would induce at least a little bit of skill in the planes approach towards the surface ship, and making the evasive maneuvers similar to the ones a DD will have to perform to face dive bombers soon.

I think that there shouldn't be any circular target areas at all, whatever the plane. it's just too easy and removes any dodging chance.

What are your thoughts?

Regards 

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
11 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Depends on rockets. Tiny Tims and GZ rockets for example are an ellipsis, so you need to approach from front or back to hit most rockets. HVARs may seem circular, but the target area is so large most will usually go into the sea, not the DD. IJN reticule is a small circle, but IJN also gets rockets of lower quality. For what IJN rockets do in damage, the reticule is kinda fine, because it's the only decent anti-DD armament these ships have and aiming that rocket fighter isn't easier than for a rushing DD to hit a CV with its guns.

• Cool 1

Players
1,176 posts
7,237 battles
15 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Depends on rockets. Tiny Tims and GZ rockets for example are an ellipsis, so you need to approach from front or back to hit most rockets. HVARs may seem circular, but the target area is so large most will usually go into the sea, not the DD. IJN reticule is a small circle, but IJN also gets rockets of lower quality. For what IJN rockets do in damage, the reticule is kinda fine, because it's the only decent anti-DD armament these ships have and aiming that rocket fighter isn't easier than for a rushing DD to hit a CV with its guns.

makes sense, thanks for the answer.

But apart for the IJN ones like you said, I still believe another pattern, less eliptic or circular, might be interesting.

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
1 hour ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

IJN rockets are of lower quantity, not quality. Hakuryu drops 6 per plane, but each rocket deals more than Zao shell:cap_haloween:

and they are more accurate than HVARs on Midway... which actually have THE lowest dmg potential, coupled with largest dispersion. Saved by 32mm HE pen, rendered obsolete by TiTs.

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
2 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

But apart for the IJN ones like you said, I still believe another pattern, less eliptic or circular, might be interesting.

Because CV needs some weapon to hit DD. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,562 posts
20,724 battles
2 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

I find the enterprise rockets pretty good against destroyers and currently aiming for hakuryu. How are her rockets compared to enterprises?

Enterprise has the best rockets in the game when it comes to hunting down DDs and more lightly armored ships. Nothing compares (currently).

Players
3,601 posts
14,275 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Enterprise has the best rockets in the game when it comes to hunting down DDs and more lightly armored ships. Nothing compares (currently).

Yup, nothing comes close to Big E rockets when it comes to bullying all 3 surface ship classes. Though Tiny Tims in Midway hit like a truck, especially big targets like BB's. Can't see the incoming change to DB's having any effect in slowing down what a CV can do. Ohhh well... I'll just keep on being a filthy CV scrub for a wee while. Still have  just over 1500 games to match my other least played class BB's. Not getting bored of them any time soon me thinks :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles
4 hours ago, Panocek said:

HVARs on Midway... which actually have THE lowest dmg potential, coupled with largest dispersion. Saved by 32mm HE pen, rendered obsolete by TiTs.

Actually no. HVARs on Midway have 60k potential damage. TiTs have 48,6k potential damage.

Against DDs, the HVARs will do a better job mos of the time (in my experience), against most other targets, TiTs are superior for sure.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Yup, nothing comes close to Big E rockets when it comes to bullying all 3 surface ship classes. Though Tiny Tims in Midway hit like a truck, especially big targets like BB's. Can't see the incoming change to DB's having any effect in slowing down what a CV can do. Ohhh well... I'll just keep on being a filthy CV scrub for a wee while. Still have  just over 1500 games to match my other least played class BB's. Not getting bored of them any time soon me thinks :Smile_trollface:

Have you tried HVARs on Lexington? I did unspeakable things to DDs with those. Way more practical compared to Midway's HVARs.
I only know FFARs from El's videos though, but some comparison can be made regardless.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
6 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

And what would that be? A square? star-shaped? There is really no reason to not use an elipsis.

5 hours ago, Panocek said:

IJN rockets are of lower quantity, not quality. Hakuryu drops 6 per plane, but each rocket deals more than Zao shell:cap_haloween:

and they are more accurate than HVARs on Midway... which actually have THE lowest dmg potential, coupled with largest dispersion. Saved by 32mm HE pen, rendered obsolete by TiTs.

Quantity is a quality of its own.

• Cool 1

[IRN]
Players
309 posts
12,685 battles
7 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

Hi captains

After reading the latest dev blog about upcoming CV changes, I saw WG wants to force dive bombers to attack in a parallel course to the ship, to ensure bombs can hit. This, to protect destroyers.

I often see rockets damaging destroyers to a terrible extent in just a few runs. A circular attack pattern makes it extremely easy for the cv player, he doesn't care at all about the angle of attack. And it makes it impossible for the destroyer to dodge.

Why not making the rocket planes target area not a circle anymore?

That would induce at least a little bit of skill in the planes approach towards the surface ship, and making the evasive maneuvers similar to the ones a DD will have to perform to face dive bombers soon.

I think that there shouldn't be any circular target areas at all, whatever the plane. it's just too easy and removes any dodging chance.

What are your thoughts?

Regards 

Simple because Wg do not want for dive bomber to be easy to bit dd and that's all, Wg didn't said nothing about rockets because they are fine. Or you are asking dd to be immune?

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles
29 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Quantity is a quality of its own.

That's right, Communisto_chan.

• Funny 2

Players
1,176 posts
7,237 battles
2 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

And what would that be? A square? star-shaped? There is really no reason to not use an elipsis.

What I meant was more eliptic.

Currently, what you call eliptic is still too close to a perfect circle.

Why not the same shape than DB, but perpendicular?

DB would force the player to go parallel to the attacked ship, while with rockets you would have to hit broadside.

If you keep the same attack pattern, rocket planes do not need any preparation before strike, you can attack easily from any direction, that's the issue imo.

Regards

Players
3,601 posts
14,275 battles
3 hours ago, Blixies said:

Have you tried HVARs on Lexington? I did unspeakable things to DDs with those. Way more practical compared to Midway's HVARs.
I only know FFARs from El's videos though, but some comparison can be made regardless.

Ohh I like HVARS on Lex. Big E’s hit harder with no re-aim reticle widening on a run up however. 

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles
3 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Ohh I like HVARS on Lex. Big E’s hit harder with no re-aim reticle widening on a run up however. 

Alright, will have to try them. Just so you know, every time I read any of your posts, this plays in my head.

• Funny 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
4 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

What I meant was more eliptic.

Have you seen GZ or Tiny Tims?

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,562 posts
20,724 battles
4 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

fnRC9av.png

ಠ_ಠ