Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Markhand

Germans, Carriers and Planes.

30 comments in this topic

[MAD]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,410 battles

Back in 2017 i was working on a topic alot to recommend a german carrier line for World of Warships. At the time, it was quite a stretch to do considering the demand for a carrier on each tier. With this rework, the plausibility of adding it raised immensely, considering that you only need 4 carrier models over the old 7. Germany is such a nation that had a few plans for carriers outside the Graf Zeppelin. And i want to take this topic to look into what i could foresee being added, including perks, advantages, disadvantages and so on.

So for introductions i have added this preview covering the content for a more organised and reformed ship and plane tree. I will add some base information about each plane and loadouts soon.

Overview

564779637_germancarriers.thumb.jpg.058d01a44f5c79a5ca984c7afc5ba8e8.jpg

Ships

Tier 4: Ausonia (Flugzeugdampfer I, 1918)

image.png.53dda7eea37113fc03be49d3e0118ed9.png

A carrier conversion based upon the passenger ship Ausonia in World War 1, it was supposed to be done by the germans and then sold to Italy. It could carry up to 19 aircraft and reach a maximum speed of 20 knots. It would be a very simple training wheel aircraft carrier and the most suited one from Germany. It is very similar to the Hermes and pretty much fills the same role, which is to make people used to playing aircraft carriers.

Type: Aircraft Carrier
Displacement: 12,585 metric tons
Length: 158 m (518 ft)
Beam: 18.8 m (62 ft)
Draft: 7.43 m (24.4 ft)
Propulsion:

14,000 shp

Speed: 20 knots
Aircraft carried:

19 seaplanes or10 wheeled aircraft 

Tier 6: Max Immelmann (Project A-I, 1942)

image.png.7e4ebafd3469b3d32432234922dcfd5b.png

A paper aircraft carrier designed in 1942, but was never built. With a planned capacity of 32 planes, it fits well at tier 6 with the gradual increase of performance as you go up the tiers. Lightly armored, and fast with 34 knots and a surprisingly large array of anti air weapons, it would sit at tier 6 as a fairly good overall design.

Max Immelmann is my recommended name for this carrier, after a WW1 flying ace.

Type: Aircraft Carrier
Displacement: 37,500 tons
Length: 245 m
Beam: 32 m 
Draft: 8.75 m
Propulsion:

210,000 hp

Speed: 34 kn
Range: 18,000 nm at 10 knots
Armament:

16 x 15 cm Casemate guns

16 x 10,5 cm AA guns

18 x 3,7 cm AA guns

Aircraft carried:

Tier 8: Peter Strasser (1944)

image.thumb.png.87ccaf5d6d7e2344754d278a41f8ac2d.png

The more mature version of her sister, the Graf Zeppelin. Without the growing pains and with another few years of development to improve the ships original faults. People generally know well that the Graf Zeppelin was under constant development with teething issues in its first years, and the Peter Strasser was intended to be the sister ship that would have avoided all those initial problems that GZ had to deal with. I dont think i need to add any specific details on the ship as there's plenty of information around for it.

Graf Zeppelin was able to carry 42 airplanes. Whether Peter Strasser was meant to carry more than Graf Zeppelin is unmentioned.

Tier 10: Mannfred von Richtofen (O-Project remodel, 1946)

image.png.deb5d2fe99fa56465922b8e87424550d.png

This is the only carrier which i do not have a direct picture for. But it is a O-project hull converted into a carrier. Building upon the Graf Zeppelin and Peter Strasser experience to put togheter the ultimate german naval carrier. Assuming displacement would increase as a result of the change, a full load would likely be around 40,000 tons.

Length: 256m

Beam: 30m
Draft: 10m

Displacement: ~40,000 tons

Propulsion: 180,000 shp (If retaining the same planned engines)

Speed: 32-33 knots

Armament: Late war anti air batteries ( 10.5cm Flak 39, 8.8cm Flak 41, 5cm Flak 41, 3.7cm Flak 43, 2 cm Flak 38)

Aircraft capacity: 62 ( a rough estimate)

More information coming soon.

• Cool 20

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

Good job. Alot of effort. Still I think we do not need full paper line of ships. 

Players
891 posts
18,371 battles

Sure, why not, as long as other lines / nations are introduced first (Italians come to mind) 

Solid effort though OP 

• Cool 4

[MAD]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,410 battles
4 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

Sure, why not, as long as other lines / nations are introduced first (Italians come to mind) 

Solid effort though OP 

Ofcourse the italians take priority. For some information on the planes, ive yet to fill the OP with the information on them. But lategame gimmicks that i found was AP rockets and Bombentorpedoes.  Both wich could become very interesting different aspects at tier 10.

Bombentorpedoes were torpedoes that were propelled by kinetic energy as they were dropped from airplanes (They werent in service but were being developed). This could become a very unique kind of torpedobomber in the game.  ( I have 1-3 suggested ways this version could function ingame) If not, there are standard torpedoes available as a alternative.

Rocket Bombers with AP rockets would become highly effective against cruisers, depending on which variant of Panzerblitz rocket that gets added. In difference to other factions, tier 10 would offer you the choice to choose between HE and AP rockets.

Dive bombers are quite vanilla. Carrying on average 4 bombs in different sizes over the tiers. Im gonna add this to the main post soon.

[MAD]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,410 battles
11 hours ago, veslingr said:

Good job. Alot of effort. Still I think we do not need full paper line of ships. 

Technically not a full paper line with the Peter Strasser. But thanks

9 hours ago, Yukikaze_AL said:

Amazing effort!

Thank you. The plan was to make the carrier line in the path of least resistance. And also by adding as few paper or prototype aircraft too. (Which there is no paper aircraft, and 2 prototypes only) And to make the line in some way unique.

[WGP2W]
Players
1,145 posts
10,474 battles

Amazing work mate just one question: Why the Focke-Wulf 190 and not just instead the Me262V5 as a Bomber for the Mannfred von Richtofen ?

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,800 posts
6,860 battles
11 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

Amazing work mate just one question: Why the Focke-Wulf 190 and not just instead the Me262V5 as a Bomber for the Mannfred von Richtofen ?

Jet aircraft have already been removed front he in game T10's, so why would the KM CV get them? (Plus, the runway for the ME 262 was usually quite a bit longer than the normal CV deck...?)

[WGP2W]
Players
1,145 posts
10,474 battles
Just now, philjd said:

Jet aircraft have already been removed front he in game T10's, so why would the KM CV get them? (Plus, the runway for the ME 262 was usually quite a bit longer than the normal CV deck...?)

Well originally every line had their unique things so just thought it could be their thing. Also for your 2nd point if WG rly care that much about realistic gameplay

[MAD]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,410 battles
11 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

Because the Me262 demanded a very long airstrip to take off, and was notorious for slow acceleration and susceptible to interception on takeoff. It would also not be right for Germany to have jet aircraft when other nations also had potential aircraft that Wargaming could use. But since Wargaming has taken a stance away from jet aircraft (understandably so, AA interception was almost impossible at the time with the speeds involved), ive opted to use the most suitable propeller-driven aircraft.

On that note, the Do 335 Pfeil was one of the fastest propeller aircraft in WW2. It would definetly be difficult to avoid a bomber squadron of those while at the same time shooting them down in time.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
37 minutes ago, Elypse201 said:

Me 262 required a paved runway of around 2km length ...

Players
36 posts
639 battles

Great work, OP, looks really nice.

Only point I wonder about is the T10. The O-Class looks like it might be a bit on the small side. Maybe a converted Kurfürst hull would be a better choice. Another interesting option would be to build upon the german plans to convert the transport ship Europa into a carrier. The transport displaced 44,000 t and was over 290 meters long, which would make it almost as large as the Midway. If we assume that Germany managed to solve the design problems, it would probably feel right at home at T10.

I'd also use the AA guns on the Hindenburg -  the standard 10.5cm, 5.5cm Gerät 58, and those you already mentioned. Not the 8.8cm Flak 41, that thing was for the german Wehrmacht.

[MAD]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,410 battles
4 hours ago, Norris_of_Quirm said:

Excellent work OP!

I'm curious though: no Weser (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Seydlitz) though?

The amount of planes Weser could carry in the plans were less than 20. That is about the same amount as the tier 4. So ive opted away from all the conversions due to the lack of airpower they can present ingame. If anything it could potentially be a tier 6 premium. 

3 hours ago, LegioDamnatus said:

Great work, OP, looks really nice.

Only point I wonder about is the T10. The O-Class looks like it might be a bit on the small side. Maybe a converted Kurfürst hull would be a better choice. Another interesting option would be to build upon the german plans to convert the transport ship Europa into a carrier. The transport displaced 44,000 t and was over 290 meters long, which would make it almost as large as the Midway. If we assume that Germany managed to solve the design problems, it would probably feel right at home at T10.

I'd also use the AA guns on the Hindenburg -  the standard 10.5cm, 5.5cm Gerät 58, and those you already mentioned. Not the 8.8cm Flak 41, that thing was for the german Wehrmacht.

Regarding the Europa, due to its construction the immense size wasnt very viable for conversion. Its estimated aircraft capacity was the same as the Graf Zeppelin class. Much slower than GZ too. So i put it in as a premium at tier 8 at the moment. If the case be that its the most suitable based purely on size and its aircraft capacity synthetically modified to accomodate it could fit. But i wouldnt name it Europa in that case.

Ill edit the aircraft guns when i have time :)

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,180 posts

@OP nice prop m8 :Smile_honoring:

I d say gib italian tree and after that - this

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,300 posts
9,144 battles

Nicely put together, although a bit simple and was expecting a bit more detail or some stats suggestions but overall very nice. :)

[MAD]
Beta Tester
86 posts
3,410 battles
5 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Nicely put together, although a bit simple and was expecting a bit more detail or some stats suggestions but overall very nice. :)

I will look into abit on the statwise section. Most of it can be simple elaboration for sure. This would probably be the easiest part of it. It gets more "stat" oriented when ill talk about the planes.

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Nice effort and I loved reading the historical aspects of it. In my humble opinion though, more CV's is the last thing this game needs, unless CV players want to only have each other to farm in the future...

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[PANEU]
Players
1,031 posts
3,563 battles

Would like to see this. 

Vor 3 Stunden, Captain_Newman sagte:

Nice effort and I loved reading the historical aspects of it. In my humble opinion though, more CV's is the last thing this game needs, unless CV players want to only have each other to farm in the future...

Actually more CVs won't change the game. Obviously it only would give us more diversity. If there are 4 op ships more or less doesn't matter Cuz the player numbers will stay roughly the same. Also those are German ships and looking at gz those are most likely to be not that op:) 

[BGNAV]
Players
192 posts
21,889 battles

Paper ships or not it doesnt matter! Its awlays nice to have new ships in the game! I hope to see and italian carriers (again most of them only designs, not real ships)
If we had only real and less as possible paper ships in the game, there will be 50% or less ships in game... new ships and content means we the players will continue to play the game! If there is not new ships even if they are paper only, we will lose interest in the game, and thats not good to WG!
More ships > new players/old will play more > money for WG > game will stay for longer!

Sign in to follow this