Sign in to follow this  
Mydgard

Grozovoi - Skills and Upgrades

21 comments in this topic

[WBF]
Players
197 posts
11,437 battles

Hi! I just now bought this pretty boat, I read many informations as I see  well I will be a doubloon bury. :D Can you share you opinions and some screenshots about your captains and upgrades? Thanks!

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,226 posts
12,051 battles

I for one dislike playing the Grozo in a full gunboat spec.

This is what I run

image.thumb.png.8a52e887cbfbecedb4d994c263168b94.png

It makes the Grozo into a very flexible boat that can pretty much handle all situations thrown at it.

• Cool 1

[SQRL]
Players
240 posts
11,687 battles

I've also been grinding the alt russian line, in order to keeping play DDs (with reasonable AA) in the current CV meta. And unlocked it yesterday, and boy - wish i'd done it sooner. 12 citadels against a Neptune in my 3rd game.

33 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

It makes the Grozo into a very flexible boat that can pretty much handle all situations thrown at it.

Not sure about AFT vs BFT at the moment. Because the guns are so flat I can't help thinking the extra range might be useful. But I'm running with a 14 point captain, so don't have to make that decision for a while. But aside from that - I'm heading for the same build.

The only DDs I don't run concealment on are the khaba, trashcan & kiev. The grozo can out spot a harugumo & z-52, and equal with a daring - so I think the concealment is worth it. 

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,226 posts
12,051 battles
1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

I've also been grinding the alt russian line, in order to keeping play DDs (with reasonable AA) in the current CV meta. And unlocked it yesterday, and boy - wish i'd done it sooner. 12 citadels against a Neptune in my 3rd game.

Not sure about AFT vs BFT at the moment. Because the guns are so flat I can't help thinking the extra range might be useful. But I'm running with a 14 point captain, so don't have to make that decision for a while. But aside from that - I'm heading for the same build.

The only DDs I don't run concealment on are the khaba, trashcan & kiev. The grozo can out spot a harugumo & z-52, and equal with a daring - so I think the concealment is worth it. 

I don't like running AFT on most DDs because it increases the chances of getting spotted when firing because of the gun bloom. I find that anything over like 14km is overkill for me. I don't need to be that far away because then I take my torpedoes out of the game. And the Grozo has 10km torpedoes so you want to use them.

The only thing a Grozo can't fight straight up is a Harugumo. And it's roughly even against Daring. Other than that no DD is safe against you so the point is to use that and win matches. Long range is good only if you want to farm fire dmg on BBs which is undeniably fun but also not always great for winning matches.

[-GG-]
Players
198 posts
12,336 battles
1 hour ago, _Teob_ said:

I don't like running AFT on most DDs because it increases the chances of getting spotted when firing because of the gun bloom. I find that anything over like 14km is overkill for me. I don't need to be that far away because then I take my torpedoes out of the game. And the Grozo has 10km torpedoes so you want to use them.

The only thing a Grozo can't fight straight up is a Harugumo. And it's roughly even against Daring. Other than that no DD is safe against you so the point is to use that and win matches. Long range is good only if you want to farm fire dmg on BBs which is undeniably fun but also not always great for winning matches.

Grozovoi without AFT ? Are you trolling him ? :cap_wander:

Its a Russian gunboat with awesome ballistic, it a crime not to use it. Don't compare Harugumo shooting past 14,5 km and Grozo - they are in different universum in that respect.

For 4pts skill I run AFT, CE (even if its a gunboat it is worth investing in concealment - this enables Grozo to go for caps with some confidence).

For 3pts I run DE and SI.

SI is VERY strong because of premium consumables, especially DefAA. Grozo is the only one tX DD that CVs must be aware of.

I took DE just because I prefer maximizing dmg output against maximizing "tankiness" that may work vs other DD but won't save from CA/CL anyway.  

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,226 posts
12,051 battles
52 minutes ago, radius77 said:

Grozovoi without AFT ? Are you trolling him ? :cap_wander:

Its a Russian gunboat with awesome ballistic, it a crime not to use it. Don't compare Harugumo shooting past 14,5 km and Grozo - they are in different universum in that respect.

For 4pts skill I run AFT, CE (even if its a gunboat it is worth investing in concealment - this enables Grozo to go for caps with some confidence).

For 3pts I run DE and SI.

SI is VERY strong because of premium consumables, especially DefAA. Grozo is the only one tX DD that CVs must be aware of.

I took DE just because I prefer maximizing dmg output against maximizing "tankiness" that may work vs other DD but won't save from CA/CL anyway.  

I am not "trolling" anyone.

I think you can play it with AFT. I just don't think it's worth it and my results in the boat speak for themselves. I also have over 1100 matches in it and I have tried every spec and setup under the sun.

Giving up BFT doesn't seem like a good idea to me because then your DPM suffers quite a lot. In fact, between BFT and DE, you are much better off taking BFT which will also increase the number of fires per minute you set.

Not taking SE is not a good idea as it has good synergy with your heal. And in general SE is pretty much mandatory on DDs.

The way I see it is you either give up CE and go full gun spec (aft, bft) or you play it more in a hybrid role where you don't need aft.

[SWYD]
Beta Tester
145 posts
5,754 battles
On 5/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, _Teob_ said:

I for one dislike playing the Grozo in a full gunboat spec.

This is what I run

image.thumb.png.8a52e887cbfbecedb4d994c263168b94.png

Would you mind giving your take on ship upgrades as well?

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,226 posts
12,051 battles
2 hours ago, Thjan said:

Would you mind giving your take on ship upgrades as well?

Sure! Happy to!

mjdvuIW.jpg?1

• Cool 1

[TF57]
Players
55 posts
5,885 battles

My Groz build, AA for the present Meta

Pic1.png

pic2.png

My Question whats the best for AA on a Groz , I took Aft because it also adds to the gun range but find I'm firing at targets well within normal gun range anyway, would Manual AA be a better choice on an AA spec Groz?

Players
1,888 posts
12,049 battles
On 5/8/2019 at 8:44 PM, _Teob_ said:

Sure! Happy to!

mjdvuIW.jpg?1

Now i only played a few hundred Grozo games, but....Ruddershift instead of Propulsion mod seems a bit questionable for such a slow clunky ship?

I admit it's nitpicking as both are useful, but I find Propulsion mod to be a life-saver (slowing for smoke, accelerating away from torps/shells and in general throwing aim off by acceleration).

Also the AFT / BFT argument, i used to run it for AA range pre-rework, but it has probably swung in favour of BFT these days with AFT aa effect = 404 not found.

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,226 posts
12,051 battles
On 5/12/2019 at 12:49 AM, GulvkluderGuld said:

Now i only played a few hundred Grozo games, but....Ruddershift instead of Propulsion mod seems a bit questionable for such a slow clunky ship?

I admit it's nitpicking as both are useful, but I find Propulsion mod to be a life-saver (slowing for smoke, accelerating away from torps/shells and in general throwing aim off by acceleration).

Also the AFT / BFT argument, i used to run it for AA range pre-rework, but it has probably swung in favour of BFT these days with AFT aa effect = 404 not found.

The choice between the two is mainly dictated by your playstyle (rudder shift vs. propulsion).

I tend to not smoke up unless I know I am safe from torpedoes (usually toward the end of the match). However, because I don't use AFT, I regularly open fire on ships under 12km which means I need to be able to dodge at full speed.

Due to those two considerations, I prefer the rudder shift mod.

In this particular instance, I am not sure there is a "right or wrong" answer. I tried both extensively and I constantly find that I can dodge a lot more incoming fire with the rudder shift mod than without it.

As far as AFT vs BFT, like I said, you CAN run AFT if you want to go full gun boat. I did do that for a while. The reason I don't anymore is simply because there are fewer DDs around so I want to be able to spot them and do DD things. I just don't think AFT has good synergy with CE which is why I would go either hybrid or full gunboat.

I consider BFT mandatory in all specs because 10% is a huge increase in damage.

• Cool 1

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
12,937 battles

Interesting that no one takes torp reload skill, being a ru hybrid line. How good are the torps on grozo anyway? I just started the line grind today and i aim for grozo since khaba is not my cup of tea. Gnevny will be done tomorrow and then i go for minsk-oggy-udaloi. But i gonna train skipper for grozovoi and i want it with some aa power. Heard its a bastard to kill with cv. I Like the damn thing already :)

Players
1,888 posts
12,049 battles
14 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

In this particular instance, I am not sure there is a "right or wrong" answer. I tried both extensively and I constantly find that I can dodge a lot more incoming fire with the rudder shift mod than without it.

Thank you for the elaboration.

I used to run AFT before the CV rework because i found the added AA power.

Didnt play Grozo in the new meta, but how about using RPF if you do DD things? 10% dpm vs turrets on target.

3 hours ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Interesting that no one takes torp reload skill, being a ru hybrid line. How good are the torps on grozo anyway? I just started the line grind today and i aim for grozo since khaba is not my cup of tea. Gnevny will be done tomorrow and then i go for minsk-oggy-udaloi. But i gonna train skipper for grozovoi and i want it with some aa power. Heard its a bastard to kill with cv. I Like the damn thing already :)

Nobody bothers with torp realod because its a gunboat and the legendary module trades 10% torp reload for improved dpm on the guns.

The 10 km torps has fairly good concealment, but monstrous reload already.

[TTT]
[TTT]
1,226 posts
12,051 battles
9 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Thank you for the elaboration.

I used to run AFT before the CV rework because i found the added AA power.

Didnt play Grozo in the new meta, but how about using RPF if you do DD things? 10% dpm vs turrets on target.

[...]

I don't think RPF is needed at the moment on gunboats. THe biggest problem high tier DDs have currently is being spotted all the time by either CVs or radar. That means that I generally know where enemy DDs are and I should have my guns pointing roughly in their direction anyway. The other aspect is that the Grozo has great firing angles so it's not a big issue getting all your firepower on a target.

I do still use RPF on DDs that prefer to avoid fights like the Gearing or the Shima. It also helps with torpedoing unspotted targets.

Bottom line is that, while it would be great to have RPF as well I don't see it as mandatory and I would certainly not give up 10% gun DPM for it.

Think of it this way, the most successful DDs currently are all gunboats and do not use RPF (Harugumo, Daring, Grozo).

Should the meta change and matches have less detection, then it might be an option again but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. CVs and radar are here to stay.

• Cool 1

[TF57]
Players
55 posts
5,885 battles
On 5/13/2019 at 8:18 PM, CPL_Sivi said:

In an earlier post above my capt had AFT but I decided to swap it for manual fire for AA after reading AFT is no use for AA as your better CV players know how to dodge the flak bursts. Glad to the report it butchers more planes but don't be fooled a midway will cause you pain over time even if you float test loads of his planes . 

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
12,937 battles

I am seriously in doubt to fxp the line to grozo. Was hoping to get alaska with that but i find high tier dd play fun in this cv meta. Even more if i could drop down a bunch of planes with dd... Every1 in game tells me grozo is kickass boat.

[TF57]
Players
55 posts
5,885 battles
2 hours ago, CPL_Sivi said:

I am seriously in doubt to fxp the line to grozo. Was hoping to get alaska with that but i find high tier dd play fun in this cv meta. Even more if i could drop down a bunch of planes with dd... Every1 in game tells me grozo is kickass boat.

Where are in the grind at the moment, because the Ognevoi and Udaloi are both good DDs in the present meta and are quite fun to grind thru, I would just used the Fxp to get the Modules. I really enjoy the Ognevoi that much that I rebought it then spend some of the Russian vouchers to get the pema camo and shoved a 17 point Capt on her. Torps load stupidly fast but are slow so you have to get use to aiming ahead but are great for throwing into enemy smoke at the beginning of the game. 

• Cool 1

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
12,937 battles

Finished gnevny grinding minsk atm. Both good boats but minsk is cursed. Cant win no matter how good i play. Gnevny i finished in 20 fights with 60 percent winrate. I am getting a hang with run and gun playstyle. Fast and agile boats i use them like mini khabas.

But realy want to get my hands on grozo while this cv hype is still on.

Btw i dont wanna fxp oggy and udaloi cause i think those stink but to save time. I have some doubts about udaloi tho cause lately i realy take them down easy in z46. But honestly 46 is my fav dd in last 2 months, so it could mean that uda is missplayed vs 46. Hydro is usualy very powerful tool against dds.

[TF57]
Players
55 posts
5,885 battles
3 hours ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Finished gnevny grinding minsk atm. Both good boats but minsk is cursed. Cant win no matter how good i play. Gnevny i finished in 20 fights with 60 percent winrate. I am getting a hang with run and gun playstyle. Fast and agile boats i use them like mini khabas.

But realy want to get my hands on grozo while this cv hype is still on.

Btw i dont wanna fxp oggy and udaloi cause i think those stink but to save time. I have some doubts about udaloi tho cause lately i realy take them down easy in z46. But honestly 46 is my fav dd in last 2 months, so it could mean that uda is missplayed vs 46. Hydro is usualy very powerful tool against dds.

Ouch, I remember the Minsk grind oh to well had to do it twice (for Kiev too), short ranged torps ain't fun. But it also has the same problem as the udaloi, poor concealment and the lack of DDs in a match due to CVs which kinda forces you to the front line contesting Caps or the salt flows in the chat from players that don't understand a Soviet DDs roll. 

That's why I like my z52 hydro and smoke, great for cap bullying, I set mine up as a gunboat, I find this more fun and stronger in the present meta than a z52 torp hybrid. 

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
12,937 battles

Halfway thru minsk altho 40% winrate. Still strugling for a win. Amazing how many clueless ppl play mid tiers. The ship is fine tho, fast and agile and u can zoom around the map at 48.8kts like a lightning. Bad sides are map sizes, and stealth. After gnevny at 6.1 minsk sits at 6.8 which is realy bad for capping. But if she goes down its at the end game, never went down early. I guess i will wait to see what ognevoi is like and then decide if i go with fxp. But the line seems fun so far, too bad i dont have enough free time to go thru all the way properly. Btw how grozovoi fares in clan battles? Better than gearing?

Sign in to follow this