Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tanatoy

Future Plans for Aircraft Carriers

363 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Administrator, Community, WG Team
2,884 posts
2,600 battles

Commanders,

We continue to work on improving the gameplay of aircraft carriers and today we would like to tell you about the changes that are being prepared for the next few updates.

Please remember that plans sometimes change. The information below is preliminary: deadlines may be moved, and a little later new points may be added.

1. Update 0.8.4 will bring a period of time at the beginning of each battle during which aircraft carrier squadrons will be unable to take off due to them having to go through some initial servicing. This change, taking into account the time it takes squadrons to reach the targets, will allow ships on both teams to start moving to the control points and take advantageous positions before any squadrons are in the air.
  2. The Engine Cooling consumable has been standardized for all aircraft. Now the consumable will give the same increase in speed at all tiers - 35 knots (40 for Japanese aircraft and attack aircraft of all nations) and equally slow down the aircraft by 17.5 knots (20 for Japanese aircraft and attack aircraft of all nations). The change will reduce the effectiveness of squadrons as scouts and also the strike potential at the highest tiers.
  3. In Update 0.8.4 we plan to change the interaction between destroyers and dive bombers with HE bombs, while maintaining the effectiveness of this type of aircraft against other ship classes. Now, due to the mechanics of aiming and scattering, it is relatively easy to hit a destroyer with a large number of high-explosive bombs. This in itself is normal, but there is a problem: evasive maneuvers on the part of the destroyer being attacked by bombers don’t do enough to prevent being hit. To solve this problem, the required drop height of bombs will be increased, the shape of the aiming ellipse will be changed, and the scattering of the bombs will be adjusted. Now the ellipse will be elongated and narrow, with an increased chance of bombs falling closer to the edge of the ellipse and a reduced chance of them falling closer to the center. Thus, the squadron’s choices of timing and approach to a small target such as a destroyer will be more important, and destroyers will have more opportunities for counter-play against bombers. For example, hitting a destroyer that is perpendicular to the line of approach of the bombers will be much more difficult. In order to keep the interaction of bombers with the rest of the classes at the same level, we changed their aiming parameters. Aiming will now be faster and will begin in the preparation for the attack, and maneuvers of the flight will not influence the spread. This change can be tested on the Public Test for Update 0.8.4.
  4. In future updates, we plan to improve the ship autopilot function and "teach" it to avoid obstacles. This way you will be able to put one point on the map, and the autopilot will plot a route to bypass the Islands. If a collision (for example, in a narrow strait) with an island still happens, the autopilot will bring the ship back to open water and send it further along the route.
  5. Some good news for fans of co-op and training room combat will be the addition of aircraft carrier bots in these modes. However, bots will not yet be making an appearance in Scenario mode. The bots will first need to be “taught” how to execute the unique actions that occur in this game mode.
  6. The mechanics of the priority AA sectors will be completely redesigned. We decided to change not only the visual component, but also to significantly improve the interaction of the ship with squadrons. It is too early to talk about any details, but the main goal that we want to achieve is for the player to get more effective AA with the proper use of the priority AA sectors and the choice of appropriate skills and upgrades.
  7. In future updates, credits and experience rewards currently earned from shooting down aircraft will be transferred to damage dealt to aircraft. In Update 0.8.4 we will add this indicator to the post-combat statistics, but in order to make this change to the economy, we want to sure of the stability. Therefore, changes to the economy will occur after the change to the priority AA sector in a couple of months (after the statistics become stable). Around the same dates, we plan to update the achievements related to airplanes.

Once again, we remind you that this is a preliminary and possibly incomplete list of changes that are planned to be implemented in the game. We will continue to inform you about plans and future changes.

Thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

Good luck in Battle!

• Cool 10
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 18
  • Angry 1

[PLD]
Players
48 posts

Do not like the way this is heading handicap ships will result in players wont play them any more and all the work and effort to get them in to a playable numbers are going down the drain fast.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[LICON]
Players
1 post
4,979 battles

DD's up against aircraft and radar just makes DD's not worth playing anymore. The damage from aircraft against any ship is way OP

• Cool 12
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 13

[RAIN]
[RAIN]
Players
57 posts
16,951 battles

The last sentence summarized it all.

WE NEED LUCK (not skill).

• Cool 15

Beta Tester
107 posts
7,415 battles

so, you're removing CVs

• Cool 2
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Players
5,417 posts
8,131 battles
55 minutes ago, Tanatoy said:

The Engine Cooling consumable has been standardized for all aircraft. Now the consumable will give the same increase in speed at all tiers - 35 knots (40 for Japanese aircraft and attack aircraft of all nations) and equally slow down the aircraft by 17.5 knots (20 for Japanese aircraft and attack aircraft of all nations). The change will reduce the effectiveness of squadrons as scouts and also the strike potential at the highest tiers.

Premium CV nerf, freshly after boom on sales ended:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 11
  • Funny 5

[DGH-W]
[DGH-W]
Players
76 posts
12,578 battles

How about a button that allows you to play without CVs?

I saw in a pole on the forum that 75% rather play without CV. Let give this option! Then CV's can battle it out for themselves like in the battle of Midway.

btw:. during the battle of midway, 41 torps were released by the Americans on the Japanese Carriers/ships and 0 hit. All damage to the carriers were done by dive bombers. Completely opposite from WOW where the torps do the most damage and 3 torp planes on tier X can have 6-8 hits.

• Cool 16
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
624 posts
8,803 battles
1 hour ago, Tanatoy said:
  1. Takeoff cooldown
  2. Engine Cooling consumable changes
  3. Bomber vs DD changes
  4. Autopilot changes
  5. AI changes
  6. AA sector changes
  7. Economy changes.
  1. I'm not sure how much difference this change will really make but if it does allow for more positioning to take place before planes arrive then great.
  2. Odd change that I wouldn't have anticipated but ok.
  3. A change of this sort was needed and I'm pleased to see a mechanical change taking place and not just a straight up damage nerf.
  4. I don't know if I'd trust it still unless it shows on the map exactly what it intends to do, so I could make an adjustment if the path I select requires a turn that isn't possible or if the waypoint I set is too close to my ship and I just end up circling around it for 3 minutes straight.
  5. Ok
  6. If AA sectors really can be transformed into something that feels impactful and controllable then great.
  7. Fair enough

Thank you for including some more speculative changes like the AA sector and economy changes that we may not actually see for a few months, I appreciate seeing the broader roadmap in terms of potential changes.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
1,089 posts
3,502 battles
36 minutes ago, Bublon13 said:

Spotting was the real problem before and after the rework, I wish you would delete the whole class entirely, hence you are obviously not able to balance it. In no way these changes effect the issue of CVs being OP in the late game when most ships have a fraction of their HP and most of the AA has been knocked out. The only way to remedy that is if the number of aircraft becomes finite again. But I guess that makes game no fun for the 5% that play CVs so you are just gonna take a big dump on the other 95% like you always do.

I'm interested to know where you get the figure of 5% from, CV players like myself do play other classes of ships, this just seems like a nerf after selling lots of CV', very cynical of WG to do this but hardly surprising.

• Cool 6

[WGB]
Players
193 posts
2,585 battles

In reality, only the super unicom CV players will dominate CV play in the months to come as was with old RTS CV's, sounds like a great idea, i can play DD's again soon.

EDIT.

BTW can we have a full rebate again in doubloons on the CV's we own? it is only fair after nerf nerf nerfing CV's, those poor guys that spent lots of money.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Players
1,089 posts
3,502 battles
18 minutes ago, RamboCras said:

How about a button that allows you to play without CVs?

I saw in a pole on the forum that 75% rather play without CV. Let give this option! Then CV's can battle it out for themselves like in the battle of Midway.

btw:. during the battle of midway, 41 torps were released by the Americans on the Japanese Carriers/ships and 0 hit. All damage to the carriers were done by dive bombers. Completely opposite from WOW where the torps do the most damage and 3 torp planes on tier X can have 6-8 hits.

As a CV player myself, I support the button of no CV's choice.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 2

[SWN]
Players
12 posts
5,412 battles

If you keep polishing a turd you end up with a really shiny turd.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 10

[GRSLS]
[GRSLS]
Players
34 posts
10,627 battles

Well....the continuous dedication of dev resources in the CV issues are either becuase the CV class in itself is problematic and has too much of an impact on the outcome of a game (IT DOES) or WG has a too large of a dev team and needs to keep them occupied with "something". In both cases this damages the game in is whole and this is not wanted by anyone.

I would not mind even a buff in CVs IF the CV squadrons had a FINITE number of planes as was also previously commented. 

All other classes have finite health, a finite number of consumables to use, cannot regenerate somehow their AA defences and the list goes on.

It is utterly ridiculous to be in a ship, shooting down 40-50-60-70-80 planes in some cases and still the CV to come at you while you sustain damage and the CV does not give a rats a**** if you shoot its planes down.

Therefore, BUFF CVs if necessary, STOP this infinite swarm of planes they can throw at you.

It is unrealistic, ridiculous and unsportmanlike to say the least. 

• Cool 22
  • Bad 1

[ROPS]
Players
48 posts
5,090 battles

cv in the battle means that everyone will stay max range and shoot at each other, u rarely see these days ppl fighting up close. and it doesn't matter how many changes you do to cv's they are still gonna be broken as [edited]. 

[WGB]
Players
193 posts
2,585 battles

New CV rework anyone?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Angry 1

Beta Tester
125 posts
8,513 battles

I'm just glad I'm through with the CV grind for all the lines. Now I don't have to suffer my way up to tier X in a line that gets nerfed just a bit further into the ground with each and every new patch, although CVs on tier 6 and 8 basically already don't a stand a chance when they have to fight ships that are 2 tiers above them..

Well, I also have never been so happy about not having bought the enterprise when it went on sale again. Guess I won't have to spend money on that anymore ^^

• Cool 1

[TEC]
Beta Tester
77 posts
6,697 battles

WG can either scrap the 2018 CV rework completely and start all over or they can keep losing WOWS players and paying customers.

I played 25-30 games a week one year ago. Now I play 5 on average. And I'm not spending a single Euro on WG products (aka broken games) anymore.

• Cool 17

[LIGMA]
Alpha Tester
36 posts
1,258 battles

All these changes won't make a damn difference.

The whole rework should be scrapped, and CV's TOTALLY REMOVED.

I will never play them and I cant stand playing against them.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 8
  • Bad 8

[BIF]
Players
111 posts
2,556 battles

I really hoped WG gonna adress some bigger problems,  like the spotting of the whole team right after the start by the enemy CV, or the low AA defense ships's being defenseless against air attacks.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[POP]
Weekend Tester
650 posts

All of this is absolutely inconsequential nonsense that will do nothing to stop the ongoing disaster in the game, a bit like opening an umbrella next to a supervolcano eruption.

• Cool 12