You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ShipdestroyerNL

Better graphics for Wows?

29 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
353 battles

As many people who post stuff in this forum im a huge fun off Wows. I love everything about it the warships ofcorse the gameplay everything except the graphics T_T

for me myself i have a pretty good pc and have all my graphics settings on max maybe im just picky and a spoiled guy but sometimes the graphics just...... Bleehh 

i would love to have something like in world of tanks HD graphics i think it would look absolutely magnificent in Wows.

• Cool 6

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles

Obviously it wouldn't suit all but I'd like to see better damage models and better waves esp when the sea is lapping against islands etc

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
28,917 posts
15,128 battles

I think it is a safe bet that we get reworked graphics in the next three years.

But I am note sure if they go WoT HD graphics.

[-AP-]
Players
2,786 posts
6,712 battles

Graphics would be nice, but then again, if i could choose what they commit dev time to, graphics would come pretty low on my list, with balance, fixes, ui improvements and such first.

Of course improved models themselves wouldnt crash with other dev duties, as the designers are most likely not coding, but graphics improvements would mean a massively updated game engine for better shaders, physics, and such, which would require coders.

• Cool 3

Players
2,411 posts
14,357 battles

They could use engine from wot. If some studios use engine from the others then I can't see what would be a problem to share it within one company. 

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
3 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

They could use engine from wot. If some studios use engine from the others then I can't see what would be a problem to share it within one company. 

Part of what makes WoT pretty are tank HD models. Conversion to that alone took what... 2 years? Ship model is considerably more complicated than tank, despite of number of things being shared across (gun barrels, turrets, secondaries, AA)

[-AP-]
Players
2,786 posts
6,712 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Part of what makes WoT pretty are tank HD models. Conversion to that alone took what... 2 years? Ship model is considerably more complicated than tank, despite of number of things being shared across (gun barrels, turrets, secondaries, AA)

Then again, in my mind, a good shader and physics engine does more for graphics than any super hd model ever could.

Players
2,411 posts
14,357 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

So the faster they start, the better. :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
28,917 posts
15,128 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

That is why I am not sure they will go there. The HD tank models are pretty, but that is a lot of work and puts strain on your system. Doing that for the bigger ship models could be too much in the foreseeable future.

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
5 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

So the faster they start, the better. :cap_haloween:

Thats dev time NOT spend on churning out new premiums

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
12,617 battles

No! We dont need graphics we need better gameplay! Heck most new games get great graphics but they are rushed, broken mechanics, trash gameplay and awfull story! 

Look at the older games: counter strike 1.6, grand theft auto san andreas, vice city, 4 etc! They are way better than most games today yet theyre graphics have not aged well but everything else is top notch! Wows has other problems than graphics and those problems are regarding the game balance not because it does not look good!

• Cool 5

[THESO]
Players
4,601 posts
1 minute ago, Animalul2012 said:

No! We dont need graphics we need better gameplay! Heck most new games get great graphics but they are rushed, broken mechanics, trash gameplay and awfull story! 

Look at the older games: counter strike 1.6, grand theft auto san andreas, vice city, 4 etc! They are way better than most games today yet theyre graphics have not aged well but everything else is top notch! Wows has other problems than graphics and those problems are regarding the game balance not because it does not look good!

Speaking of ... I just remembered that I bought  "Jagged Alliance 2 Gold" a while ago :)

Players
2,580 posts
Just now, nambr9 said:

Speaking of ... I just remembered that I bought  "Jagged Alliance 2 Gold" a while ago :)

I got Darklands. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,601 posts
5 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

I got Darklands. :Smile_playing:

Niiice. I remember that one. Played it hundreds of years ago along with "Sword Of Samurai"  which I still own :)

Players
2,580 posts
5 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

(...) Look at the older games: counter strike 1.6, grand theft auto san andreas, vice city, 4 etc! (...)

Nothing beats entire Legacy of Kain games / storyline, or even original Deus Ex.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

People seem to forget this game is supposed to run on potato PCs with RedStar OS 1.5c.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
421 posts
12,965 battles
35 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

People seem to forget this game is supposed to run on potato PCs with RedStar OS 1.5c.

Damn, I've only got a turnip PC running RedSickle OS 0.1y

• Funny 1

Players
2 posts
353 battles
On 5/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, Aotearas said:

not true better graphics will probably attract more people and they can always have the standart graphics for potato pc's

[BAD-A]
Players
641 posts
9,293 battles
On 5/4/2019 at 12:58 PM, Aotearas said:

Supposed to yes - but it won't run on my slightly older PC - game got more & more unplayable with each update & the port interface makes it unusable.  Even takes too long returning to port after games with my new PC...

• Cool 1

[-LD-]
Players
224 posts
9,191 battles
On 5/4/2019 at 1:21 PM, ColonelPete said:

That is why I am not sure they will go there. The HD tank models are pretty, but that is a lot of work and puts strain on your system. Doing that for the bigger ship models could be too much in the foreseeable future.

I think the upgraded Yamato model looks ace, and ever since other older ships such as Nagato look a bit meh.

My only issue -and I could be wrong- is that scenery, especially the houses look tiny compared to ships even considering the huge size of the ships.

• Cool 1

[ENUF_]
Players
606 posts
22,899 battles
28 minutes ago, optimal_909 said:

I think the upgraded Yamato model looks ace, and ever since other older ships such as Nagato look a bit meh.

But was it really worth to have multiple people working over a period of 5 month to update it?

31 minutes ago, optimal_909 said:

My only issue -and I could be wrong- is that scenery, especially the houses look tiny compared to ships even considering the huge size of the ships.

That's because WG messed around with every possible scale to make the game more action orientated. You have different time scales for shells/torpedoes and ships. The ships are twice as big as normal compared to the environment.

• Cool 1

[-LD-]
Players
224 posts
9,191 battles
2 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

But was it really worth to have multiple people working over a period of 5 month to update it?

That's because WG messed around with every possible scale to make the game more action orientated. You have different time scales for shells/torpedoes and ships. The ships are twice as big as normal compared to the environment.

It depends. If those 5 would have been working on another Soviet paper ship - definitely. If they could have something neat like tidying up the maps so that ships match the scenery better, probably not.

As about time scale, you mean the ships', shells and torps speed are adjusted for gameplay reasons? The way the ships advance in water looks realistic, against the scenery not so much - but the scale answers that. For the rest I have nothing to add, in that case I guess indicated shell and torpedo speeds make only sense when compared like-for-like.

[ENUF_]
Players
606 posts
22,899 battles
3 minutes ago, optimal_909 said:

As about time scale, you mean the ships', shells and torps speed are adjusted for gameplay reasons? The way the ships advance in water looks realistic, against the scenery not so much - but the scale answers that. For the rest I have nothing to add, in that case I guess indicated shell and torpedo speeds make only sense when compared like-for-like.

I can't tell you the exact values, but shells/torpedoes use a time compression of about 2. For ship movement i think it's between 4 and 5.

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
Players
867 posts
18,359 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, optimal_909 sagte:

They gave some details on this in an old Q&A:

Q: I heard that the ships move five times the real speed and the shells fly twice as fast. Have you increased the speed, or shrunk the distances? How does doubling the speed of shells influence their ballistics?
A: Let me explain this in some detail.
1. There are two types of distance measures in the game, the ship meter (relevant to the ships) and the ballistic meter (relevant to the shells in flight).
2. One ship meter equals two shell meters, which means that the ships are twice their real size.
3. The ballistics trajectories are computed with maximum realism, but are flattened to make tracing shots and aiming easier.
4. The speeds of ships, torpedoes and planes are increased by a factor 5.22 relative the ballistic meter.
5. The speeds of shell are increased by a factor 2.61 relative to the ballistic meter.
6. The detonators on the AP shells are modeled based on gameplay considerations.

• Cool 1