Should I quit the game or join the CVs  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Should I quit the game or join the CVs

• Quit the game
    • Join the air force

49 comments in this topic

Players
67 posts

The CV rework is taking its toll on me. At this point and as many other veterans, I am seriously thinking about uninstalling and going for other games. Before I do that however, I could try and experience the other perspective, the one of the CV-player. I could, if my moral system was completly broken and if I had no issues engaging in gameplay that is, in MY own opinion, destructive to the game, the playerbase and to the concept of fun in general.

So here is my poll:

VOTE QUIT if you don't want to see me in your games as a filthy CV-player and want me to play fun games like Silent Hunter, Workers and Resources, etc

VOTE JOIN if you want to take full responsibility for all the *edited* I will inflict as a CV main

I have no preference whatsoever myself. After all, CV gameplay is fun, I heard.

Rules for the comments below (if your want to comment, that is):

If you want to comment on balance, there are other threads for that

This is not a l2p issue. My winrate in 0.8 has further improved (dont ask why). This is a fun-issue.

If quit is leading, type "o7", "Goodbye", or whatever

If join is leading, I will need some tips on how to be as good and as *edited* of a CV main as possible. Apart from the time I aboosed pre-rework, pre-nerf, pre-me-owning-premiumships Zuiho for credit farming, I have never touched CVs. This is what I already know:

In terms of tactics, I heard that:

- Avoid the black clouds

- Targeting DDs to no end with rockets is pretty effective and gamedeciding

- Just farming the maximum amount of damage against BBs better than my CV opponent leads to a pretty high winrate as well

- Installing MM monitor and targeting whoever has the highest winrate on the enemy team until he is dead seems not that uncommon (speaking from experience here). I mean, I already sold my soul anyway if I play CVs, so I could go the full way on the *edited*. Think of it like Robin Hood, fighting against the evil Unicums and for the poor potatoes.

- I will just guess that spotting things is pretty strong on its own

- Completly denying caps by repeatedly resetting them has already lost me games as the receiver in 'normal' ships, so doing that is pretty strong

- I know what slingshotting is

- Trying to protect ships with your fighterconsumable is a waste of time most of the time since he can use the very same consumable to counter mine

In terms of which nation to choose, I only know that:

- Midway is strong. Maybe just my RNG, but the flooding chance on her torps seems to be extremly high.

- Haku looks like my first pick because I regularly see cruisers exploding through their defensive fire (or have been exploded myself) by her AP-bombs. I just feel like the game owes me a lot in that regard, things I could get back from other poor souls

- Audacious or whatever the T10 UK CV looked meh so far from my limited viewpoint. Only bad experiences I had were multiple fires from her bombers while my repair is on CD

Thank you for taking part.

Edited: Please don't compare the game (or parts of it) to diseases.

Arty_McFly

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,389 posts
5,782 battles

As a wise man once said, "if you can't beat them, join them."

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Frankly, try it. Quit if you don't like it. But at least you'll know the rework that made you quit. And there is no moral issue with playing CVs. It's what WG gave us, (ab)use it till they fix it and if they don't, at least you might have gotten some kicks out of it before things go to crap.

As for how to get good at CV:

• Learn how to dodge flak, don't approach in a straight line, unless you
  • use the damage mitigation mechanics there are. A flight that is in aiming mode takes reduced damage. The squadron after a flight dropped its load will have a short window of immunity. So, if you drop torps for example, you don't need to swing around your planes wildly, you'll just throw the aim off;
  • plan approaches and exits. Look for targets that you can strike without flying through tons of AA on the way in or on the way out;
  • make the first run in a match a spotting run. This shows you what there is, who spawned where and maybe some in your team got enough braincells to also use that information. Not to mention, it pisses people off. Use whatever is fast and kill DDs. If you got nothing like that (GZ), take whatever is most likely suited for hurting enemies, as you are basically going over there, spot as many as you can, before finding a target of opportunity to make your first victim;
  • learn the attack patterns of your planes. If necessary, go into training room and test on bots how fast your torp bombers and rocket planes aim and what approach you need to do. Also, test how dive bombers drop, especially if they are AP ones.
  • watch for fighters, they'll usually kill planes on a 1:1 basis, so 1 fighter will kill one of your planes. This quickly can deplete your aircraft.
  • putting up fighter is not a waste. Just, put it up where your allies are going, so, just fly ahead and put it so as when the fighter spawns, the ally enters the area of the fighter. Enemies cannot just spawn a counterfighter there, as the counterfighter typically gets eaten alive by the ship AA before doing much. obviously, if the ship you are protecting has no real AA, then yeah, they can just spawn a fighter of their own.
  • Ignore slingshotting for the start. It's mostly for killing T10 stuff. If you go down IJN line, you can also just max out concealment and apart from DM and Salem, press F3 while stealth spotting Mino, Nep, Seattle or Worcester. Slingshotting you can do when you got the basics down and want to just show your dominance on AA cruisers.

And a few more things that you might pick up over time. Generally, this are the basics I remember.

As for what line:

• IJN if you want to end up AP bombing stuff and don't mind your rockets being a bit lackluster. Due to AP bombs + meh rockets, you might start avoiding attacking DDs, but you shouldn't. Though, sometimes it suffices to just nuke cruisers.
  • USN is basically dive bombers for anything. There's nothing you can't hurt with those. Rockets and torps are useful for DDs and in case you fear you might run out of DBs.
  • RN is just there to annoy people. Carpet bombing is less useful than dive bombing, but it sure can piss people off when they get set on fire along the entire ship.

Also, watch out for what your planes can do. For example, rockets seem like a pretty solid anti-DD weapon and are easy to use, but HE DBs are just as useful, if not more useful, when you drop HE bombs straight on their deck. 

• Cool 6

[THIR]
Players
941 posts
4,531 battles

I'd actually play CVs myself, but I found their gameplay to be mindnumbingly boring. The other classes have all these interesting game mechanics. When you play CVs every single one is replaced by AA, a mechanic that has no player interaction by design. That's the only reason why I never played them outside of the test server. If that's not an issue for you go give them a try. In their current iteration Midway seems to be more competitive than Haku and while targeting DDs is the best way to influence the battle, killing them early will often result in a very short match and then you can't farm a lot of damage.

Players
190 posts
30,627 battles

i have fun with CV, just had a nice good morning game with one of those wierd MMs

139767736_nicemm.thumb.jpg.2de417e16a702b9cb2b3c3cf822a141f.jpg1855556618_nicemm1.thumb.jpg.a5ee01d36ff4e4747db27eb42815850d.jpg1781965652_nicemm2.thumb.jpg.fcdc2293bd26dcec0045506074a50e04.jpg

that bein' said, i would join the air force

• Boring 1

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,303 posts
9,168 battles

Play CVs and see how you enjoy it. My biggest problem with it at the moment is the extremely wide scale of balance. If you're mid-tier, you'll do fine. Top-tier and even AA ships and clusters of ships can struggle to deal with you. Bottom-tier and you feel like you can do almost nothing and it turns into a game of patience. 

Well anyway, best of luck o7

• Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,599 posts
20,739 battles

Here's the question you should actually be asking yourself:

Do you hate this playerbase?

If yes, play CVs. It's primarily why I play them.

If no, quit.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 2

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

hes-not-wrong.jpg

I'd say give them a go. Don't like playing them or against them? That would be call for a game change.

Just be mindful of tier 4 being excessively boring and seemingly ineffective due to slow planes and crappy ordnance. Tier 6 gets you somewhere and you can use them in Operations for practice. That and massive disparity in AA between tiers, much larger than in case of ships. Tier 6 Pensacola would be more than happy to burn down Bismarck and slap some AP into broadsiding T8 cruisers assuming careful play, but in CV you're dealing with unavoidable constant dps and avoidable flak. So (ab)use of damage mitigation rules (dmg reduction when in attack mode, immunity window+speed boost after drop) coupled with careful target selection is in order... Which obviously are nowhere to be found because tutorials are for the weak:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
260 posts
5,405 battles

I left the game long time ago, funny I opened the forum this morning to see if there was a change, and this is the 1st thing I see.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles

RN line is best used to thin out the Red BBs with torpedos.

RN Rockets are OK, but their planes cruise too slow with far too short boost. These will thin DDs but you need to wait for the DDs to come towards you/caps.

RN Bombers are there to annoy you and your target. Occasionally you actually might do some worthwhile damage on a DD or CL. Best to use them while you rebuild TBs on a low health target.

This is based on limited experience with Randoms but mostly against Bots with T4, T6 & T8 US & RN

RN T4 Hermes seems much stronger than US T4 Langley but this is my impression. US T6 Ranger and RN T6 Furious are closer matched.

I couldn't make IJN T4 & T6 work so I sold them. Might buy them back at some time.

Good luck though if you stay and sail CVs, but I'm not going to take the blame for whatever your decision is.

Good luck too if you leave.

[POP]
Players
658 posts
12,829 battles

The faster and more throughoughtly CVs ruins everyones games the more drastic measures WG needs to do in order to curb the skyshiets. So just play CVs and kill all the DDs.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,006 posts
19,792 battles

I took a months break from playing and gave it a try for the last 5 days and honestly I think I will take another break, the CVs in their current state suck all the fun out of the game, you can deal with them but the fun factor is certainly gone.

I did try the CV game play but it's way too boring your essentially playing a PVE game, but give it a try if you like. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,445 posts
18,663 battles

Try it! You might like it!

I tried it and I didn't like it but that's me.

[KAKE]
Players
2,775 posts
6,795 battles

Jokes aside, though: I've basically reached the conclusion that I'll grind all cv lines to T6 because then I can use them for events requiring T5+ ships.

I doubt I'll be playing them much outside of that though, since I just don't find the CV gameplay terribly interesting.

Players
3,404 posts
20,516 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

The rework is fine. I think the rockets need a slight damage buff.

shot-19.05.03_17.06.27-0506.jpg

I concur, but might I suggest a slight AP buff instead? :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

shot-19_05.04_11_23.18-0332.thumb.jpg.04ebfaad112a34cd8f7f2183cfc66c92.jpgshot-19_05.04_11_34.40-0527.thumb.jpg.c5daa7bf6151f6e21cd782d8f61358dc.jpg

• Funny 1

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

The rework is fine. I think the rockets need a slight damage buff.

On the Japanese, possibly. On the Americans, the HVAR is essentially a flying laser-guided Zao class heavy cruiser.

Players
7,482 posts
245 battles

Get enterfat and bomb the living shiz out of everything. Might as well do the above as well.

• Funny 1

Players
3,404 posts
20,516 battles

On a more serious note, I was facing the same question. I fell out of love after trying my best to have fun post rework the first few weeks. It was do or die for me, either quit and be dissapointed once again (ex-WOT player who moved to WOWS) or see if the carriers could keep me interested. So I went full on CV main for now, and I do keep playing so far. It is very very different though. I do not feel part of a PVP match mostly, even though I help out the team by spotting crucial elements, help ships out f they are focused by the enemy CV, help friendlies that are struggeling with a particular enemy or support a weak flank if I can. But overall it feels more like I am playing a singleplayer game, but with live targets. It's totally weird, CV's are so disconnected.

I suggest give them a go. Try the USN ones, they are great all rounders, no real weak point. There are plenty of great tips in this thread already.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,546 battles

I don't know what people are doing to get driven this far by allegedly CVs.

For me nothing has changed, the only thing that makes me question my commitment to the game is the matchmaker lottery of who gets the potatoes and who gets the decent players.

The WoWs community right now:

30537s.jpg

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3

Beta Tester
1,042 posts
11,678 battles

I played them up to tier 8, which are almost useless in tier 10. I focused on taking out all the weakest targets, first the DDs, then lone or low HP ships.

I used to get so many upset players asking in chat why I was bullying them, focusing on them. I'll always remember the poor kid in the Normandie, who had played really well, survived his fail team, and I just went back, time and time again, with rockets, bombs, and torpedoes until he was sunk. He just pleaded in chat to stop bullying him. Did he have a good game? I doubt it, there was nothing he could do to stop me. Endless planes. If that CV (HMS Furious) was not in game, then I expect he would have had an epic game, as our surviving ships were just two low HP cruisers and me. Did I feel like I had played well? Not really. Felt more like hitting midget that cannot get close enough to hit you back. It became boring, repetitive, no real skill or challenge. Lose some some planes? Meh, more soon. Risk vs reward? None.

People will get better and better in the sky artillery, until so many players ask the same question. Is this fun? So play CVs, ruin peoples games, numbers drop until they finally wake up at Wargaming and do something.

The same problem existed in WoT with Artillery, a class that could either one shot you, or knock most of your HP off. You'd think they anticipate the effects of a class with complete map reach and little recourse?  . I think they knew exactly what would happen, but decided to milk the Carrier rework for every penny they could, before bringing in the fix when revenue from those lines declines.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2