Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saltface

Rather Strange

11 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
1,407 posts
11,666 battles

Dear All,

I was in a match with my Fletcher. In the opening minute I am attacked by the enemy CV. He sends a rocket salvo and he hits me. He incapacitates my engine but deals no damage. I assume that only the module was hit. The module took the damage and no damage was dealt on the ship hull. However, I saw the replay many times and it seems I was hit at the fore part of my ship. So I have to assume that what I see is only graphics effects and has nothing to do with what the server calculates as damage. Are my assumptions correct?

A personal thought - how on earth you can incapacitate my engines without seriously damaging my hull? Rather counter-intuitive I d say.

Further to this, since I am posting the replay, if anyone is interested to have a thorough look and give me some critique I d greatly appreciate. And please, don't be kind. On the same note any hints or advise on how to dodge rockets (and bombs) are more than welcome. Currently, I m trying to mess up the aiming by wasd. Is there anything else I could do?

Thanking you in advance

Saltface

Attached the replay and screenshots

20190503_032038_PASD021-Fletcher-1943_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

The module incapacitation

454418682_strange1.thumb.png.bcbc9f77dddb6b362a3e3591c04516ee.png

a few seconds later (no damage)

1254370440_strange2.thumb.png.127c4c3762ed9908eda655f4fe220406.png

Players
89 posts
4,024 battles

I would say it hit and shattered on your gun turret, but the explosion covered most of the ship and took our your engine, kind of like how near misses with HE can knock out stuff.

Although I do not have a ton of experience with cvs (Furious at the moment in the british tree), I noticed that after I start aiming your rockets there's about a 5 second delay before I can actually shoot them. If you can turn towards the planes quick enough you will be to close for them to aim after this 5 second period. Similar to how you can turn into torps and have them hit you before they actually activate, thus causing no damage.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,612 posts

I was gonna say something smart but.... ever since I saw how I was hit in the top of a smokestack and ate a citadel Im like ...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,163 posts
17,417 battles
40 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I was gonna say something smart but.... ever since I saw how I was hit in the top of a smokestack and ate a citadel Im like ...

Wait till the RU CVs arrive Komrad, Balans is coming...

• Cool 1

Players
3,031 posts

I try to turn on the direction the planes are coming to shorten the reaction time, it dont always help but it works most times depending on the skill of the opponent. I just restarted playing dds since I'd given up after the rework due to horrible performance on my part, while I'm not doing great or good I'm doing better but winning is still a toss especially during this time of the week :)

• Cool 1

Players
44 posts
1,220 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, nambr9 sagte:

Maybe your conning tower got hit and it looked like a smokestack hit to you.

Conning tower counts as a citadel no?

Yuro in his Funtage#8 hits himself a conning tower citadel too on an enemy BB.

@Saltface

The explosion of rockets or HE bombs if they land close to your ship or deal module damage (gun/torpedotube) can also incapacitate other modules with the explosion (engine/rudder).

• Cool 1

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

Replays are surprisingly inaccurate, as I've found out battling with Support over squadron instadeath case.

Considering HE projectiles have splash/AoE to them, its perfectly capable of rocket landing in water, next to engine room and "radiate" damage to it, knocking it out. Same thing can happen with rudder breaking with near misses... and detonations. Guessing near miss scared guy handling projectile and he dropped it fuse first. Unfortunately it was faulty fuse, so armed before firing:cap_book:

Same thing can happen if HE projectile hits "module" - main gun, AA, secondary. No direct hull damage, but module + anything within HE AoE gets touched.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,804 posts
9,751 battles
5 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Happened to me aswell in old Cleveland vs some BB. Had like 10k HP left, BB hit my superstructure -> poof dead.

3 hours ago, Yukikaze_AL said:

Maybe your conning tower got hit and it looked like a smokestack hit to you.

Conning tower counts as a citadel no?

No, doesnt count as a citadel.

@Saltface

I dunno if module damage is totaly random or what we see is not real. However, we tested 3 people (shooter, target, spectator), and all 3 people see the shells hitting at the same place so... who knows? Sometimes you can experience losing a turret, where the shells never actually hit you. Like you get hit in the front, and your backturret gets incapacitatated :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

Players
2,581 posts
9 hours ago, Saltface said:

(...)

A personal thought - how on earth you can incapacitate my engines without seriously damaging my hull?

(...)

Chief Engineer probably had enough of exploding shells for one battle and went berserk? :Smile_Default:

Sign in to follow this