You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Do you have more fun in matches with CVs or without?

Do you have more fun in matches with cvs or without?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have more fun in matches with cvs or without?

• With Cvs
    • Without

138 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

So I've finally decided to start playing regularly again after the big CV patches and being busy with life in general. 

Overall I think the new CV system as it is now is an improvement over what it once was. However that doesn't mean it is fun. Matches with 1 cv per dd are just terrible. Matches where there is no real AA on a team are terrible. Matches where big juicy 0 aa targets are spawned alone in the middle of nowhere are terrible. I have given up dd play almost entirely. My biggest problem with CVs is that they don't degrade in value like other ships as their hp is chipped away. So you can play a match perfectly but the CV guarantees the win because their Hp is never at risk. (I know this is meant to be balance by declining plane reserves but I have yet to see it be a factor, especially when fire and flooding come into play)

The counter play is poor and being singled out is miserable just as it was before and while you can get rewarded for fighting other ships by dealing them damage, there no such option against a CV, and rewards for plane kills are very, very low that's if you even get any. As it always has been actual AA ships are avoided like the plague and played properly serve as little more than an enhanced AA module on actually important ships. To do such a monumental rework and maintain these fundamental problems seems very strange to say the least. 

So here is my poll, do you enjoy playing games against cvs or not?

Obviously I know CVs are not going anywhere but I think we should be clear that there is still more work to be done. Perhaps I am wrong and in the minority, in which case people that feel as I do need to know so we can shut up and move on. 

• Cool 10
  • Bad 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Missing an option.

• The same.

And we really do not need another poll on CVs. They are here to stay. With Wargaming being aware that they need more work.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

Players
337 posts
6,246 battles

I can`t recall one game where a CV added anything positive to a match I had.

They even ruin many late game matches, because it often is just aircraft flying around disposing of the remaining surface ships while the CV is hiding somewhere.

So I voted "without".

• Cool 16
  • Funny 1

Players
2,366 posts
14,326 battles

InB4 closed.:cap_haloween:

Usually without CVs I am having more fun unless playing full AA ship then no difference.

In CV though... Let's say depending on if I am top or bottom tier. 

[ORM]
Players
141 posts
3,826 battles

depends if the CVs on both sides have equal ability

i don't care if both sides are good or both sides are bad, as long as it's not theirs being good and ours being bad ( the other way round is obviously ok ) 

as long as they're matched they either tend to cancel each other out with fighter drops etc or have little effect.

• Cool 1

Players
3,144 posts
17,768 battles
23 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

And we really do not need another poll on CVs. They are here to stay. With Wargaming being aware that they need more work.

Are they truly? Afaik they said at most "minor" balancing remains. And the last patch had NO CV balancing or changes at all.

Very relevant poll, one I did not see before

+1 OP.

I cant speak for low/mid tier, but tier 8+10 CVs completely takes the fun out of the game, and I am close to quitting WoWs entirely.

After 3 years of enjoyment, no class is fun anymore because of the meta (not just DDs, although they have it worst). And i know some clanmates feel the same.

(And no, it isnt about having trouble adapting. It's about what adaping means: no fun. I play to have fun, if this game isn't fun, it is time to move on)

• Cool 12
  • Bad 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
7 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Are they truly? Afaik they said at most "minor" balancing remains. And the last patch had NO CV balancing or changes at all.

The next patch will have another major change to CV gameplay. Depending on the tier you'll have a delay to start your planes, to reduce early spotting.

So yes, they definatly are aware.

And I repeat again: Removal of CVs is not an option. So the poll isn't relevant at all, as that is what it is aiming at.

4 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Result is obvious. 

And it would be the same if it was for DDs or radar or whatever else people freak out about instead to learn to properly play against.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 1

[SBHOT]
Players
41 posts
4,631 battles

Will get closed because of “reasons” but have voted and yesterday uninstalled for a break,length of which to be decided on wether wargaming do anything or not to current CV situation. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,802 battles
8 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Double post. 

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,802 battles
8 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

And it would be the same if it was for DDs or radar or whatever else people freak out about instead to learn to properly play against.

Nope, i play all 3 classes, but the rock paper scissors scissors still works in their cases. I have no problems playing with DDs when I m in a BB, or against BBs when I m in a cruiser. 

While CV shits on any other class. 

• Cool 8
  • Bad 1

Players
337 posts
6,246 battles
Vor 8 Minuten, Egoleter sagte:

The next patch will have another major change to CV gameplay. Depending on the tier you'll have a delay to start your planes, to reduce early spotting.

So yes, they definatly are aware.

And I repeat again: Removal of CVs is not an option. So the poll isn't relevant at all, as that is what it is aiming at.

That`s just untrue. My best class is DD and I would never compare CVs to radar.

The latter I can play around, because those ships move at normal speed.

Airplanes often just come out of nowhere and boom you are spotted and just lost xx% of your health.

• Cool 9

Players
3,144 posts
17,768 battles
11 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

I have to disagree and maybe you should read the last line of OP's post again.

The title clearly states this topic is about CV games being fun (or not).

OP clearly states that

40 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Obviously I know CVs are not going anywhere but I think we should be clear that there is still more work to be done. Perhaps I am wrong and in the minority, in which case people that feel as I do need to know so we can shut up and move on. 

Now the result is obvious (i think), but CVs can be changed to be more fun for all classes instead of removed (I dont think CVs are in any way ready for CB/Ranked while still in unofficial beta, but that is a seperate discussion)

No reason to go all black and white (the trolls here will see to that soon enough)

[BIF]
Players
393 posts
5,391 battles

When i saw what a CV can do to a DD in the first video of reworked CV play, i immedately said to myself : " This is so bad on many levels ".  I played only like a dozen random match since CV rework, had fun in only one, when there was only one CV in the teams. This is a bit sad for me, cause i found out before the CV rework that i enjoyed DD play the most.

I dont hate CV-s. I think everyone should have the right to have fun, regardless of class. However, for now it looks like to me that WG added to the " rock-paper-scissor " scheme a welding torch, which can melt any of them without much problem.

• Cool 1

Players
22 posts
14,801 battles

Well, one Cv could be alright. Two at lower tiers like 5 where my Giulio met two -cooperating CVs (yes, teamwork appears to exist) was cross-torped a couple of times, and bye-bye. In another, my Kongo was pursued with every squadron of planes a Furious (oops sorry) could throw at me. He could do this because there was another CV doing spotting etc.So, one is ok, two is too much.

Note - if you happen to be a T8 BB in a T10 match with a T10 CV, you might well differ from my view...

[BLITZ]
Players
2,843 posts
11,723 battles
11 minutes ago, dottore_thedoctor said:

In another, my Kongo was pursued with every squadron of planes an Audacious could throw at me.

Training room?

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,596 posts

Popping smoke+DAAF on Monaghan B hull is fun, but only in a spiteful kind of way. My engagement with CVs amounts to putting AA Mod 1 on many of my ships and basically forgetting about them after staying near my teammates on spawn until the rocket plane suicide waves are gone.

43 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

I don't understand; what is 'playing properly against' these things aside from trying to avoid them? There is perfectly sound advice to the extent of maximising one's odds of survival, but not as far as I'm aware any actual counterplay that hurts the CV player outside of their own mistakes — if their planes die, that's on them, they always have the initiative due to their outstanding scouting ability, which is the rub of the matter. It's about the feeling of helplessness.

If you're a cruiser about to get blapped by a battleship you can at least plop off a volley and set it on fire or torp rush. These actions can result in a draw ("it's just a flesh wound" medal or expending their damage control so teammates are more effective) or even victory depending on the circumstances, and those circumstances can arise as a result of either player's actions and decisions.

CV vs ships would be fine if ship players could aim their own AA guns, or something similarly proactive, regardless of whether it's more or less effective; again, I wish to make the point that it's not about actual game balance, but the feeling of agency over desired outcomes that upsets players.

Edited by StringWitch

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,298 battles

Second for needing a "the same" option. While I dont go "F*ck Yeah! Planes!" I also dont care if they're in the game either. Apart from a few WTF (donskovoi taking 12k from an audacious rocket barrage?) I havent had that much trouble with them and I try to play everything.

Actually that's a slight lie. I have a Nicholas set up with manual AA and DF. That chews through tier 4/6 planes like mad and it makes me chuckle my arse off when they try getting the "helpless" DD

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles
46 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Hi there, I think I know what I'm aiming at :)

"Obviously I know CVs are not going anywhere but I think we should be clear that there is still more work to be done. Perhaps I am wrong and in the minority, in which case people that feel as I do need to know so we can shut up and move on. "

Too clarify I want to know what the consensus is on current CVs, and if that serves as a reminder that things need to continue changing then great. I do not want CVs removed. (frankly the best outcome of this for me would be for everyone to say they are great we love it shut up, then I could simply take the learn to play or get gud approach).

Edited by Thracen
typo
  • Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles

I can not answer that, there is always at least one CV in my games lately... me.

• Cool 1

Players
1,318 posts
20,130 battles
37 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Missing an option.

• The same.

I haven't voted precisely because of that.

I've been playing Shimakaze and secondary-specced KM BBs quite a lot lately and the carrier presence doesn't really detract from the enjoyment, although double CV battles are a bit tough. Blobs are opening up little by little, which increases the chances of tactics different from a brute-force push (or, more often than not, a 8+ vs. 8+ attrition stalemate in front of one cap, ironically lost most of the time by the team with more ships). People are also becoming more talkative so coordination is to some extent achievable, at least until the first shots against DDs are fired.

Salute.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,802 battles
1 hour ago, Egoleter said:

And we really do not need another poll on CVs. They are here to stay. 

But the players are not here to stay, they can go to other games, if this one becomes no fun. 

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles

I've yet to see CV less game when playing with Lady Lex... maybe I should report it to support as possible bug?:cap_hmm:

Players
3,592 posts
14,275 battles

Considering potato’s still dribble on the keyboard when CV’s aren’t in a match frankly no. Change hasn’t affected quality of players or teams.  Or fun. I like being the CV. I like the challenge of going up against CV’s. Coz you know... I don’t need spoon fed easy mode matches.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1