You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SmokyButtons

A idear to help DD, and make spotting more ...🤔👍

20 comments in this topic

Players
242 posts
4,008 battles

An idea that might help DD and a lot of other ships

As it is right now once you get spotter by anyone or anything, everyone and their mother

Can shoot at you, as long as they are in range.

Due to this the gameplay, has gotten kinda stale a lot of the time, big blobs,

border camping BB, DD hunted to near extinction by CV and islands hugging CA.

I suggest a change to way spotting works, a tweak,

Add something akin to radio range into,

where only ships within you radio range can target ships you are spotting,

Let's set a radio range of 10km, a good value in my opinion,

Example 1, a DD is ranging forward to scout,  he spots an enemy BB,

There are 2 CA within 10km of his position,

and they can both fully see, target and shoot at the BB,

But further back, near map border a BB is camping, is more the 10 km from DD,

And only gets the enemy BB on mini map, and can not target him

Example 2 an lone DD is trying to sneak up a flank, carefully keeping his range,

The enemy CV send his planes the flank to see if any DD is trying to sneak by,

Spots DD, but unfortunately for CV, no other ships are within 10km of his planes,

So only the CV can engage the DD with is planes, though everyone still gets him on mini map

I used 10km range, I don't know if that should be the value,  or if it should be the same value for all ships!l

Give feedback on what you think, polite if the is within in your skills,

If you are socially challenged and only knows how to reply rudely,  that is okay to 😁😉

• Cool 5

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,560 posts
20,714 battles

Has already been proposed several times.

Fallen on deaf ears at WG as always.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Not without merits, but would need a lot of thought into preventing stuff that just doesn't work out. Because I see a good bit of stuff that just doesn't work out the way you might think. e.g.

1 hour ago, SmokyButtons said:

Example 2 an lone DD is trying to sneak up a flank, carefully keeping his range,

The enemy CV send his planes the flank to see if any DD is trying to sneak by,

Spots DD, but unfortunately for CV, no other ships are within 10km of his planes,

So only the CV can engage the DD with is planes, though everyone still gets him on mini map

There's little "unfortunate for the CV". If I spot a lone DD that is this far away from the battle, it's basically a free kill for a CV and all that I can think of is

• noone steals my CV damage
  • if that guy actually tried to spot my CV, he likely is so out of position none of his team get the intel either, meaning instead of getting my CV scratched by all those BBs that want to get rid of sky cancer and try to snipe across the map, I only have to deal with this one DD.

But frankly, being this far away from anything friendly deserves to get the DD killed. It's stupid play. In general though, it'd not be a completely dumb idea.

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
17 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

But frankly, being this far away from anything friendly deserves to get the DD killed.

Absolutely the opposite and indication of poor game design.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Absolutely the opposite and indication of poor game design.

It's basically the good old "I'm a sneaky DD, I'ma go and flank around. Noone sees that coming. Torp them in the rear, lol" that is already stupid now, because it moves you out of position and actually reduces your effective spotting and it'd be even more stupid with the proposed change as noone gets your intel. It's a stupid move and it'd be poor game design would it be actually rewarded.

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
3 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

"I'm a sneaky DD, I'ma go and flank around.

Seriously? You believe WG designed all DDs have the same play style?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Seriously? You believe WG designed all DDs have the same play style?

There's different playstyles, but hardly any of them should be to derp around in the enemy's rear or in your rear, where noone else is derping around. Even friggin Khaba is mostly useless there, providing nothing it couldn't provide while closer to its team. That's like trying to say "BBs camping in their spawn shooting at stuff 24 km away is not bad gameplay, it's just a different playstyle some BBs have. Not everyone's a brawler to go up close and personal. WG should reward this long range playstyle too". Some approaches to gameplay just are not useful and are just dumb.

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles

40 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

But frankly, being this far away from anything friendly deserves to get the DD killed. It's stupid play. In general though, it'd not be a completely dumb idea.

Farragut was never designed to sit inside a blob of ships, as its weapons system are effective only at close range.  It was a DD that a contested cap, scouted for the team,  and screened.  All required the DD to separated from the team to be effective.  It was game design.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Farragut was never designed to sit inside a blob of ships, as its weapons system are effective only at close range.  It was a DD that a contested cap, scouted for the team,  and screened.  All required the DD to separated from the team to be effective.  It was game design.

10 km away from other ships? You don't screen by derping around in places where noone is, you screen in front of your fleet, towards the enemy fleet, as it:

• lets you discover incoming torps for allies
  • lets you discover enemy DDs that launch those torps for allies
  • lets you see other ships for allies to shoot at
  • is usually the direction the caps are at
  • is the best chance you get to actually ever get damage in your ship
  • lets you retreat to friendly ships should a CV decide that you deserve some rockets/bombs

There is absolutely no reason for you to "lone wolf" as OP called it and be so out of place that a CV can spot you for free but you are so detached that not even the CV's allies are within 10 km. That's certainly not what Farragut was designed for. Heck, as you pointed out Farragut only has short range armament, so 10 km away from the enemy, guess how much success your little DD will have.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
2 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

so 10 km away from the enemy, guess how much success your little DD will have.

It was a long time ago, and I was relatively new to DDs, but I did ok.

Was you experience different?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

It was a long time ago, and I was relatively new to DDs, but I did ok.

Was you experience different?

I don't derp around over in isolated areas with DDs, because there's crap all to be spotted and if you run into enemies you're on your own. Usualy it's more useful to have a certain distance to friendlies, even in a non-CV match, but certainly in a CV match. And depending on how long ago it was, meta changes. Not always for the worse.

Players
242 posts
4,008 battles

I agree the idea is still rough, but I think it could promote more active play, since getting spottet in this is less "bad" since not everyone gets to shoot you!

As for the lone wolf play playstyle...  🤔... this a team battle game... plays that support and help teammates should be more rewarding.. IMO

Players
242 posts
4,008 battles

And don't get to much hung up on the "10km" more early guess,

And maybe ship classes should different radio range, ai DD may have 14km radio range to reinforce their role as scout? 🤔

Focus more on the base idea 😊😉

• Cool 1

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
3 hours ago, SmokyButtons said:

I suggest a change to way spotting works

The current 'spotting' is a core problem in this game, but it is also one of the core components of WoWs game design.  Hope springs eternal, but I don't see WG making any effort in this area.

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles

This is just my opinion, but I think the game design should encourage/reward DD play that is team focused more than damage focused.  In the current META cruisers that are not long range spammers need to be very aware of cover or they will get taken out rapidly, the backlash of this is that have limited ability to spot targets; and to be honest battleships can often times need hard cover to reduce their vulnerability to focused fire.  A meta in which DDs are out in front spotting is not necessarily a bad thing, although I do understand that there are those who disagree and think DDs should sit back with the BBs.  Differing opinions.

One of the valuable things DDs could do for their team was screen, be it for other ships or torpedoes. One of the more important stats that torpedoes have is detection range/speed which really equates with how many seconds does a ship have as a warning.  Some Japanese torpedoes have +9 second warning which makes them fairly hard to be effective with, but put a DD out in front scouting and that warning time can climb into the +30 seconds rather easily, which can give many BB players both safety and confidence.  I think this is good team play and should b encourage.  Just my opinion.

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
5 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

This is just my opinion, but I think the game design should encourage/reward DD play that is team focused more than damage focused.  In the current META cruisers that are not long range spammers need to be very aware of cover or they will get taken out rapidly, the backlash of this is that have limited ability to spot targets; and to be honest battleships can often times need hard cover to reduce their vulnerability to focused fire.  A meta in which DDs are out in front spotting is not necessarily a bad thing, although I do understand that there are those who disagree and think DDs should sit back with the BBs.  Differing opinions.

One of the valuable things DDs could do for their team was screen, be it for other ships or torpedoes. One of the more important stats that torpedoes have is detection range/speed which really equates with how many seconds does a ship have as a warning.  Some Japanese torpedoes have +9 second warning which makes them fairly hard to be effective with, but put a DD out in front scouting and that warning time can climb into the +30 seconds rather easily, which can give many BB players both safety and confidence.  I think this is good team play and should b encourage.  Just my opinion.

Then you have UK DDs with their hydro, so they can be 3km closer to the AA and pick up torps at the same distance. And then you have hopeless cases who catch torps spotted two battles ago:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

Players
3,592 posts
14,275 battles
2 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

But frankly, being this far away from anything friendly deserves to get the DD killed. It's stupid play. 

There are plenty of times being not close/in front of your team is more beneficial for the team in a DD. There isn't a one tactic fits all for DD’s or individual games.

I’ve won or been the reason my team have won playing a solo role in DD in many a game. 

• Cool 2

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, El2aZeR sagte:

Has already been proposed several times.

Fallen on deaf ears at WG as always.

Stop crushing hopes and dreams!

• Funny 2

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

It's a good idea. In WoT the radio and radioman is often overlooked simply because it works fairly passively in the background as a base value. But upgrade the radio and your spotting becomes even more effective, and equally those who are in range get to see the target as well. Other than having a base value in WoWs perhaps 'Radio Communication' could be a Commander skill and replace one of the current least popular skills, the 'Radio Communication' skill acting in a similar way to a spotter plane but triggered when in range of a scouting DD/CA? As a side note I don't think it should necessarily be a BB Commander skill, but it would give DD's and CA's another roll and perhaps a buff in spotting damage.

• Cool 1