Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkollUlfr

how to play king george v

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[NOWH]
Players
873 posts
6,026 battles

cant understand this ship. i like the turret traverse a lot more than the QE, but it seems like all its armour is good for is arming ap fuses.

can i get some advise or a recommended guide? is it something like a t7 kongo, where you play it like an obese cruiser rather than a proper bb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Clan Test Coordinator
1,597 posts
21,391 battles

You can think of it as a very fat Myoko.

You get overmatched a lot, but you're relatively tanky while angled,

relying mostly on the high alpha and fire chance HE unless someone gives you broadside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
6,508 posts
8,948 battles

I had the same thing. Absolutely hated the ship, such a difference after Queen E.

I put IFHE skill on the captain... IMO that made it better, calculation showed it SHOULD NOT HELP AT ALL.

Even so... I thought it did... might have been confirmation bias. 

Seemed to me that a pen gives more fire chance than a shatter, and I got  lot less shatters with IFHE on.

Shouldn;t... at least the calculations say IFHE shouldn't work. But IMO it helped... :Smile_hiding:

 

Nevertheless, glad I grinded it and got Monarch. QE guns again, at T8 (slightly improved).

I wish you much luck with King Grog the Filth. You'll need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

Narai. Make use of it.

 

In randoms... AP works on broadside cruisers you can reliably citadel and at shorter ranges against battleships, for angled stuff and cruisers you can't overmatch have HE ready. Above average reload at 25s certainly can be handy at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
11,699 posts
9,731 battles

Its also good to know which BBs cant overmatch your paper armor. Then avoid the others :cap_haloween:

Me personaly i didnt like the HE spamming, i used that for DDs. Against broadsides, AP is much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ZEN]
Players
1,313 posts
14,194 battles

I would say just give up grinding the line at the Lion myself and just had the rear turret completely miss a broadside Lion at 5km; 1 shell went really low, 1 shell when over the front turrets missing by miles and the last shell also went high... over the rear turret...

 

If you want to play ships that can actually have shells land in the same map square as your target this is not a ship line to play...

 

You can land some shots I got 3 cits on a Yamato... @  under 2km... then proceeded to completely miss with all 9 shells a broadside Worchester at under 6km...

 

Also the armor remains to be made out of tissue paper...

 

The only decent RN BBs are Warspite, Hood & Vanguard... cause the shells go where you aim them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,423 posts
245 battles

you can citadel new porks from the front even if they angled with the ap, probs the same for most tier 5 BB's except the konig and the russian ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,144 posts
17,777 battles

Play it second line and spam HE like the frenchie BBs. Guns arn't accurate enough and the armor is - wait, what armor?

 

Laugh hysterically as you finish the grind and realize Monarch at tier 8 is even worse - basically the same hull with worse guns (bigger caliber guns, worse firechance, still horrid sigma)

 

Smile in wonder when finally done, and realize your avg dmg was actually highest of all same-tier BBs, despite every game feeling like a huge struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,347 posts
18,216 battles

Bow in. Fire HE. Set enemy on fire. Fire HE. Wait to see 2nd fire. Wait for enemy to use DCP. Turn away. Set permafire with tail turret. Set something else on fire with front turrets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
930 posts
9,313 battles
14 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I had the same thing. Absolutely hated the ship, such a difference after Queen E.

I put IFHE skill on the captain... IMO that made it better, calculation showed it SHOULD NOT HELP AT ALL.

Even so... I thought it did... might have been confirmation bias. 

Seemed to me that a pen gives more fire chance than a shatter, and I got  lot less shatters with IFHE on.

Shouldn;t... at least the calculations say IFHE shouldn't work. But IMO it helped... :Smile_hiding:

 

Nevertheless, glad I grinded it and got Monarch. QE guns again, at T8 (slightly improved).

I wish you much luck with King Grog the Filth. You'll need it.

Ifhe does NOT help at all. Shatters have exactly the same fire chance as pens or citadels, please dont spread that around... 

 

I actually likes KGV mostly because most people dont expect or even realize your AP is very good against broadside targets... Its HE is also prety good. Just dont rely on its armour and use its decent concealment instead. Its more like a big cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,504 battles

Hey guys! A question... Don't have this ship exactly but I somehow got the sister ship. Duke of York... Would the same playstyle apply to her too? :cap_old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
4 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Hey guys! A question... Don't have this ship exactly but I somehow got the sister ship. Duke of York... Would the same playstyle apply to her too? :cap_old:

Same playstyle, KGV gets 5s quicker reload and one heal extra but loses American Piercing, American grade AA and hydro consumable for plane options

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
3,143 posts
23,504 battles
12 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Same playstyle, KGV gets 5s quicker reload and one heal extra but loses American Piercing, American grade AA and hydro consumable for plane options

Aaahhaah!:Smile_great: So I was not wrong, when I thought I imagined her AP to be somewhat more effective than what I have been used to expect from RN BB's in general - Innderesding. That explains things a bit anyways. Thanks for the advice Bud! :cap_like:

image.png.b17272f0671ec0dbde0861ca4c46573e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,804 posts
21,868 battles
Vor 16 Stunden, SkollUlfr sagte:

 is it something like a t7 kongo, where you play it like an obese cruiser rather than a proper bb?

Just play her like a Duke of York without the hydro.

That way, you'll always have an extra heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
11,699 posts
9,731 battles
10 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Hey guys! A question... Don't have this ship exactly but I somehow got the sister ship. Duke of York... Would the same playstyle apply to her too? :cap_old:

 

You definetely have to play DoY more AP focused that KGV. Many people play KGV as HE spammer only and get away with it - DoY has improved pen angles on AP, so make use of the. Maybe @Panocek is playing KGV differently, so its the same playstyle for him :Smile-_tongue:

Back when i played the first games with DOY i didnt like it. But lately played a couple of games and worked better with more AP focus. You can citadel Cruisers at worse angles, and if you target weaker spots on BB armor, you get nice salvos on them too.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
8 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Aaahhaah!:Smile_great: So I was not wrong, when I thought I imagined her AP to be somewhat more effective than I <m used to expect from RN BB's in general - Innderesding. That explains things a bit anyways. Thanks for the advice Bud! :cap_like:

With KGV you can get along by slinging HE at everything, with DoY you can get tempted by using these AP shells. Combined with normal, 30s reload any cases of "awww he went bow on" with AP loaded might not work as expected.

 

2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

 

You definetely have to play DoY more AP focused that KGV. Many people play KGV as HE spammer only and get away with it - DoY has improved pen angles on AP, so make use of the. Maybe @Panocek is playing KGV differently, so its the same playstyle for him :Smile-_tongue:

Back when i played the first games with DOY i didnt like it. But lately played a couple of games and worked better with more AP focus. You can citadel Cruisers at worse angles, and if you target weaker spots on BB armor, you get nice salvos on them too.

Dunno if "shoot the red ones" is any particular playstyle :cap_book:

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Players
781 posts
11,252 battles
3 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Play it second line and spam HE like the frenchie BBs. Guns arn't accurate enough and the armor is - wait, what armor?

 

Laugh hysterically as you finish the grind and realize Monarch at tier 8 is even worse - basically the same hull with worse guns (bigger caliber guns, worse firechance, still horrid sigma)

 

Smile in wonder when finally done, and realize your avg dmg was actually highest of all same-tier BBs, despite every game feeling like a huge struggle.

I actually found the Monarch better in that it has 32mm plating. While it doesn't help about HE at least now you can tank anything that's not a Yamamushi :cap_like:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

The KGV is a brilliant BB, it's NOT a brawler and is best used 10km> .    As some have said it is very much a second line ship.

Above 10km use HE, below 10km use AP.

 

It's secondaries are ok (I run shiny and Tirp with full secondaries) , whilst the seconds don't have the range of Tipritz (11.3km) they will un-nerve DD's that get too close.

 

Accuracy is not quite as good as Warspite, but imho it's consistently more accurate than the 2 German BB's mentioned above.

 

Good speed, but poor agility, don't expect to dodge many torps.   Thankfully it does take torp hits quite well.

 

AA is average at best, and TBH I find the fighter a waste of time.

 

KGV is a workman like fire breathing BB, I've kicked the !?!? out of Shiny's and Tirpitz etc and many, many cruisers most of whom were hiding behind an island , e.g Atlanta etc, as yet said cruiser drivers still don't get it; KGV's HE not only has a 41% fire chance but hits a lot harder than cruiser He shells, and then as they die I just hit heal, and most of the damage taken is recovered.   I find it very amusing.

 

There is no comparison between the KGV and DOY, every single encounter I've had the DOY ends in a kill, and if I see a Red DOY, it's the ship I head for first.   The DOY is complete pants.

 

Do not get into a brawl, especially with the Shiny Horse, at a distance (10km >) the KGV will boss the German, but get close and it's game over (better, quicker secondaries and Torps), thankfully having played both, a lot, I know how to play when facing the other opponent.

 

Quite often you are up tiered fighting T9 BB's and cruisers, which tbh I prefer, I'd rather be in the KGV fighting T9's than the Tirpitz.

 

Kraken, highest current score/damage fighting T8's (Hippers etc),  for many Warspite seems to be "THE" brit BB, it's accurate and nimble, but that turret traverse and reload is so slow, to highlight the difference; in a 1vs1 between my warspite and a fiji, I got my butt kicked, in a KGV vs Belfast fight I did the kicking.

 

I've seen the reviews and comments and the Monarch does not appeal at all, the Duke was good, as was the Bellerophone, but for me, up to and including T8 the KGV is the best Brit BB.

 

Stay angled above 10km from the enemy, and fire HE, you can't go wrong.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
6,508 posts
8,948 battles
7 hours ago, DJ_Die said:

Ifhe does NOT help at all. Shatters have exactly the same fire chance as pens or citadels, please dont spread that around... 

They said so, I did the math and even did the calculus. 

IFHE should do bubkus on the KGV. Yet...

But must have been confirmation bias. I dunno.

 

Something is rotten in the state of Britain and I think it is KGV. :cap_cool:

Monarch_KGV.thumb.JPG.dc231d9ad92e8267d5156db88cd4f9a2.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,423 posts
245 battles

AP on targets tier 7 and below becomes viable 14km and below anything higher tier around 12-11km, although if its angled (BB for example, especially russian) might as well just chuck HE anyways.

 

new yorks though, angle is irrelevant distance 16-15km with ap and you can pen them, think at around 10km you can cit them through the bow. (forgot the distance), it's more of a close-support, opportunist, kiter (sort of) BB. so quite different to what most bb's are like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
930 posts
9,313 battles
2 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

They said so, I did the math and even did the calculus. 

IFHE should do bubkus on the KGV. Yet...

But must have been confirmation bias. I dunno.

 

Something is rotten in the state of Britain and I think it is KGV. :cap_cool:

Monarch_KGV.thumb.JPG.dc231d9ad92e8267d5156db88cd4f9a2.JPG

 

Yet you have 40k average damage in it. So it is confirmation bias. 

KGV is pretty good, Monarch is meh but it has decent AP too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×