You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
N0sscar

Xbox controller in WoWS

34 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
6 posts
4 battles

Hi guys, i have been reading that some guys use the xbox controller in WoT, so if it is possible to set up for that game, and WoWS has some similar controls,  will it be possible to use the game pad in this game, and if anyone has successfully used the xbox game pad, can you share the settings used.

I like to play games on my big screen, so the pad is much easier to use for. (at least the common, most used controls).

• Cool 1

[WG]
WG Staff
523 posts
1,145 battles

You can do that already with xpadder. We tested it in house and it plays absolutely amazing on a pad, in our humble opinion. :)

When we're done with all the core development for the game, we'll definitely look at including a pad profile for it.

:hiding: 

• Cool 7

Alpha Tester
770 posts
743 battles

Be great if someone could upload their xpadder profile so we can all use it as i have an xbox 360 controller and would like to test it out see if it does work and can be effective :honoring:.

Beta Tester
161 posts
2,805 battles

Just gave it a try with a quickly put together xpadder profile, but I don't like it, I'm an old-school PC gamer, it's always been kbd+mouse for me (granted, the profile I made is probably not optimal).

Here are the files if anyone wants to try it out:

Attached File   xpadder_profiles_wows.zip   1.2K

Zip contains 2 profiles, one for Qwerty keyboards, one for Azerty (only difference between the two is swapping A-Q and W-Z keys).

The layout is as follows (xbox 360 controller):

Left-Stick = mouse (camera look around / aiming)

D-Pad = cruise control (up = W key, down = S key, left = Q key, right = E key)

Right-Stick = rudder left-right (A and D keys) [up & down are not assigned]

Triggers = Zoom In (right trigger) & out (left trigger)

Left "back" button (above left trigger) = ammo cycle 1-2-3-1-2-3-etc. [notice: can't double select to instantly load ammo]

Right "back" button (above right trigger) = sniper/binocular view on/off

"A" button = fire (works same as LMB: single tap = single salvo, double tap = full salvo, hold = sequential fire)

"X" button = R-key skill (repairs)

"Y" button = T-key skill

"B" button = Y-key skill

Don't use this in a CV, as it misses cycling to activate some squadrons, the F key, the Alt modifier for manual drop, etc.

Use at your own risk, feel free to modify, etc. etc.

xpadder_profiles_wows.zip

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
770 posts
743 battles

Would it not be suitable making individual profiles for each class ? :honoring:.

By the way thanks jexter will give it a try late ron with my xbox 360 controller. I suppose its better when you have a big massive TV screen playing with your laptop plugged into HDMI and using xbox 360 controller.

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

I wouldn't recommend it with a carrier, but with your normal ships it's great.

Beta Tester
161 posts
2,805 battles

Would it not be suitable making individual profiles for each class ? :honoring:.

By the way thanks jexter will give it a try late ron with my xbox 360 controller. I suppose its better when you have a big massive TV screen playing with your laptop plugged into HDMI and using xbox 360 controller.

You're welcome mate :)

CV class would definitely require a profile all on its own (like HellSpunk said, I'm not even sure a controller is viable considering the large amount of RTS-like micro-management involved in CV play).

When I tried the xpadder setup that I posted, I found the fact that the camera look and aiming are linked (left stick) to be very annoying. With kbd+mouse, it feels more natural that those 2 functions are bound together, and you have the confort of RMB+mouse to look around without moving your guns. I couldn't find a way to make this work on the controller.

But again, maybe it's because I'm so used to kbd+mouse, a controller feels very clumsy (and I'm also playing on a 32-inch TV-used-as-monitor).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5 posts
2,070 battles

You can do that already with xpadder. We tested it in house and it plays absolutely amazing on a pad, in our humble opinion. :)

When we're done with all the core development for the game, we'll definitely look at including a pad profile for it.

I too play this game with a Xbox game pad and find there little (if any) disadvantage compared to using native K/B and mouse.  I have been using a program Pinnacle game profiler for emulation.  

Anyway to my question - When you mention 'pad profile for it' are you talking about an actual in game/client support or just a config for a emulation program?  I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement as you have released WoT on the Xbox which controls amazingly well.

Also I was wondering if any of the team has had access to a Steam Pad and tried the game using it as I imagine it would be a prefect fit for WoWs?  

Please WG developers - The couch PC crowd is growing so please support us with pad and a UI option for larger screens - I can't read any text on my 63" TV above 1080p.

• Cool 1

[HOBWS]
Alpha Tester
344 posts
3,437 battles

Nice if a direct Support for the xbox controller would be made.....still wondering why there isn't one for WoT, the Xpadder works for it but it's not analog on the sticks. But for WoWS, yeah, gonna make a profile for it tonight! Thankfully I do not play carriers!

Alpha Tester
770 posts
743 battles

I have my xbox 360 wireless controller ready but the profile jexter whipped up is fine for now, minus carriers of course. I think many people actually do prefer controller supported games. Steam has a UI menu specifically for controllers for instance. WOWS certainly looks controller friendly. I could seriously play the game for hours with my controller considering as i have a 120 inch home cinema in my home it would make things much easier :honoring:.

Beta Tester
161 posts
2,805 battles

Nice if a direct Support for the xbox controller would be made.....still wondering why there isn't one for WoT, the Xpadder works for it but it's not analog on the sticks. But for WoWS, yeah, gonna make a profile for it tonight! Thankfully I do not play carriers!

Not sure the rudder movement will ever be analog anyway. The way the rudder works is, it shifts n degrees per second to one side or the other (it's part of the ship's characteristics), so this isn't like a driving game at all. The longer you stick left (or press the port key on your kbd), the farther left the rudder indicator is going to move, and the sharper the turn. It's the way it's supposed to be working, so analog support wouldn't have any incidence. And it's the same with aiming (turret rotation speed).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
6 posts
4 battles

Just gave it a try with a quickly put together xpadder profile, but I don't like it, I'm an old-school PC gamer, it's always been kbd+mouse for me (granted, the profile I made is probably not optimal).

Zip contains 2 profiles, one for Qwerty keyboards, one for Azerty (only difference between the two is swapping A-Q and W-Z keys).

Left "back" button (above left trigger) = ammo cycle 1-2-3-1-2-3-etc. [notice: can't double select to instantly load ammo]

"A" button = fire (works same as LMB: single tap = single salvo, double tap = full salvo, hold = sequential fire)

"Y" button = T-key skill

"B" button = Y-key skill

Don't use this in a CV, as it misses cycling to activate some squadrons, the F key, the Alt modifier for manual drop, etc.

ok i have xpadder now, but the link to that profile is broken, any chance of a new link, or any other profile links. thanks

Beta Tester
165 posts
1,815 battles

"Y" button = T-key skill

"B" button = Y-key skill

is there a reason this comes up blank when i add the profile to xpadder ?

EDIT: ps done my own as i couldn't get it to show on my xpadder layout cheers anyway m8

Edited by skotish

[SWAG_]
Beta Tester
40 posts

Can you please give us some idea how long it's going to take until you provide a simple check box in the control options to reverse the mouse Y axis?

Edited by Finguz

Players
21 posts
287 battles

Hi.

I Created my own Xpadder Profile.

I dont want to hijack this Post, but I would like to have some opinions on my approach of a Gamepad-Support.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18784-xbox360-controller-with-xpadder-no-carriers

This Profile will be update soon (29.08.2015 -> ?).

I also made an DS4/PS4 Profile with PDF-Sheets for visual guidence on how to use the Profile.

The Post for that will be Created soon also, will edit this reply when it is done.

My Post has only 300 views and this one has 3000+, so why not try to reach out to more Players.

@Jexter. Maybe we can collaborate, to make the ultimate Pad Support for WoWS?

Like announced here now the Updates.

DS4/PS4 Controller

XBOX360 Controller

c.u. and greetings. Zui from Hamburg Germany

Edited by ZuiMelanieForno

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

I´m amazed at why someone would deliberately handicap themselves using a controller. 

That´s like doing boxing with one hand taped on your back, or playing football using one leg. 

But whatever floats your boat.

Beta Tester
165 posts
1,815 battles

I´m amazed at why someone would deliberately handicap themselves using a controller. 

That´s like doing boxing with one hand taped on your back, or playing football using one leg. 

Stop being ignorant i have carpal tunnel for instance this works fantastic ave used a kbm for 25 yr if it wasn't for this I couldn't enjoy wows :-)  

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

Look at your stats, now back to me. Look at my stats, now back to me. I play exclusively with a pad and I feel no handicap.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

Look at your stats, now back to me. Look at my stats, now back to me. I play exclusively with a pad and I feel no handicap.

You should compare yourself with mouse and pad instead. Talk about not using your full potential. 

Also what a stupid thing to say. I could compare my stats with a bad controller player and make the same stupid argument. 

At the same time you could compare your stats with the "best" wows player. Another stupid thing to do. 

What´s not stupid is realizing a controller is inferior. It´s been proven many times over and is the reason why game companies don´t share servers between consoles and PC players. 

Edited by GeneralRushHour

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

You should compare yourself with mouse and pad instead. Talk about not using your full potential. 

Also what a stupid thing to say. I could compare my stats with a bad controller player and make the same stupid argument. 

At the same time you could compare your stats with the "best" wows player. Another stupid thing to do. 

What´s not stupid is realizing a controller is inferior. It´s been proven many times over and is the reason why game companies don´t share servers between consoles and PC players. 

Controller is known to be inferior, because it lacks quick precision and lack of accessible buttons by comparison. That's it. This is a very slow paced game and constant adjustment is only required for CV's, which is why I recommended it wasn't used for those. For aiming with ships, there really is no need for the mouses quicker adjustments. As for the buttons, there's no need for more than a modern game pad has. Mouse and Keyboard 'me' would perform no better because I have never felt I couldn't get the accuracy I needed for torpedoes and main calibre. I use it exclusively for WOT too, if you wanna take a look at my performance there. 

It's all well and good saying mouse and keyboard is superior, peesee mastur rais 4 lyf and all that, but being absolutist about it is dumb. There are droves of games that don't need the extra precision nor the wealth of buttons to map. This is one of them. Plus it's better for my lady slaying posture.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

Theres definitely areas a mouse can show the difference in regular ship combat.

Especially cruisers and destroyers where there is a lot of constant movement. Even BBs firing at the already mentioned needs to be able to react quickly.

I really do think you are delibirately not reaching your full potential but again, whatever floats everyones boats.

[WNKRS]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
4,908 battles

You calculate a firing solution in your mind and you use a peripheral to line it up. You have practically all the time in the world to do it, one doesn't need a mouse. Even with Des Moines you can adjust on a pad faster than the armaments fire. The aiming skill the game requires really is trivial and you're in no way limited by it. It's all about thinking ahead, not twitch shooting like some Deathmatch FPS.