Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

British Tier VIII Aircraft Carrier Implacable

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HAMAR]
Players
484 posts

Hello

Can Anyone please tell me how to be successful with British Tier VIII aircraft carrier  Implacable

For instance I put 7 bombs on Yamato with 0 damage and no fire. Terrible penetration.

Rocket planes are slow and there speed boost short.

Do your start the game with rocket Planes ore Bomb planes? The speed boost on the Bomb planes last much longer.

I think Torpedo bomber is the mane armament right?

I always wows pre-drop torpedoes and bombs because of slowly regenerate planes.

 

Does anyone have tips on how to use this CV.

 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

When you look at general statistics it slightly overperforms the Lexington in WR and average damage. So there should be nothing wrong with it in absolute sense.

 

- Torpedo bombers are it's main source of damage. These are rather slow torpedo's requiring an as  close drop as possible. Their specific feature allows for it.

- "carpet" bombers are best used when overflying the length of the ship, coming in from bow or stern so many HE bombs will fall on it's deck and structures often starting fires.

- "carpet bomber" highest damage is probably repeated fire damage trolling your victims repair party CD. That means you do better it you can hit them several times with many bombs.

- when coming from bow direction release bombs well before the stern as they are somehwat slow to fall down and reach the ship which ofc has it's own speed foreward.

- when coming from stern direction overfly the ship and release bombs some distance in front of the ship, as bombs are somewhat slow to fall and reach the ship, which ofc has it's own speed foreward.

- when a ship evades as you had lined it up perfectly and are already dropping bombs turn with it, especially when coming from behind....the bomb pattern will make a turn too. Some of them may still hit that way.

- Carpet bombers arent' very suitable to damage DD or other agile evasive ships with....the longer the ship is, the more bombs fall on it's deck and potentially start fires....

 

That is my 2 cnts for what it is worth.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

Implacable is basically forced to use TB against anything resembling reinforced deck, while bombs are rather dubious choice against DDs and even cruisers due to dispersion, though can be used to start fires. Then there are tiny reserves and lengthy replacement times...

 

About usage, generic CV theme seems to work, sort of - start with rockets, spot and harass singled out ships. Then depending on who sticks out, bring appropriate planes. And avoid catapults/CAP like a plague, as they are the best UK/Saipan counter

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
406 posts
9,050 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

When you look at general statistics it slightly overperforms the Lexington in WR and average damage. So there should be nothing wrong with it in absolute sense.

This is the half truth. We have to consider that this ship is the newest out of all the carriers that has been out. So until the ship reached its equal or similar number of battles as others. Then we can compare and contrast.

 

32 minutes ago, Panocek said:

About usage, generic CV theme seems to work, sort of - start with rockets, spot and harass singled out ships. Then depending on who sticks out, bring appropriate planes. And avoid catapults/CAP like a plague, as they are the best UK/Saipan counter

Panocek's advice is very useful. RN CV planes aren't the fastest. So flying towards, away from anything takes pre-planning (if able). 

Stay away/anticipate ENTERPRISE fighters. They will also, wipe out your full HP squadron. 

I would also, use the Faster Torpedo boost skill for your RN CV Captain. 

 

For some reason, I can see my chess moves one or two moves ahead with CV gameplay more easily than non-CV play. I don't know why, it could be the point of view onto the battle space, rather than in the battle space.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
10 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

This is the half truth. We have to consider that this ship is the newest out of all the carriers that has been out. So until the ship reached its equal or similar number of battles as others. Then we can compare and contrast.

 

Panocek's advice is very useful. RN CV planes aren't the fastest. So flying towards, away from anything takes pre-planning (if able). 

Stay away/anticipate ENTERPRISE fighters. They will also, wipe out your full HP squadron. 

I would also, use the Faster Torpedo boost skill for your RN CV Captain. 

 

For some reason, I can see my chess moves one or two moves ahead with CV gameplay more easily than non-CV play. I don't know why, it could be the point of view onto the battle space, rather than in the battle space.

 

Enterprise CAP wipes any T8 CV squadron, so Implacable isn't speschul here:cap_book:

 

My main issue is, for torpedo oriented CV, there is already Shokaku which is better at torping stuff, have vastly larger TB reserves and AP bombs, while specialized, they are good at what they do, unlike carpet bombing with firecrackers. Top it off with viable concealment build resulting in meme 6.1km TB detection and 9.8km carrier itself, running around at almost 36kts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,475 posts

I think it could use some buffs for damage dealing, and please remove the parachutes the bombs have on them, same applies to Audacious too, but once the other premium CV's came along, she don't get taken out as much (port, not sunk) amends need to be made I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
406 posts
9,050 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Enterprise CAP wipes any T8 CV squadron, so Implacable isn't speschul here:cap_book:

 

My main issue is, for torpedo oriented CV, there is already Shokaku which is better at torping stuff, have vastly larger TB reserves and AP bombs, while specialized, they are good at what they do, unlike carpet bombing with firecrackers. Top it off with viable concealment build resulting in meme 6.1km TB detection and 9.8km carrier itself, running around at almost 36kts.

Let's get back on topic with and for RN CV as per OPs request.

How else can we help him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
406 posts
9,050 battles
59 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

I think it could use some buffs for damage dealing, and please remove the parachutes the bombs have on them, same applies to Audacious too, but once the other premium CV's came along, she don't get taken out as much (port, not sunk) amends need to be made I think.

Yes, their apparently main weapon (speciality) was their Bomb planes, seems that the made is more of an 'air drag'...shame.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
9 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Let's get back on topic with and for RN CV as per OPs request.

How else can we help him?

Free Exp through Implacable with hope of Auda being slightly less inane. Though she seems to simply add more stuff to throw at the red ones without fixing core issues like low HE pen on bombs. Granted, they improve a bit, adding USN BBs to the list of viable targets but still not enough for German/IJN/Russian hightier armored decks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,270 posts
4 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

Hello

Can Anyone please tell me how to be successful with British Tier VIII aircraft carrier  Implacable

For instance I put 7 bombs on Yamato with 0 damage and no fire. Terrible penetration.

Rocket planes are slow and there speed boost short.

Do your start the game with rocket Planes ore Bomb planes? The speed boost on the Bomb planes last much longer.

I think Torpedo bomber is the mane armament right?

I always wows pre-drop torpedoes and bombs because of slowly regenerate planes.

 

Does anyone have tips on how to use this CV.

 

The torp planes only drop two torps, and maybe 1 of them will land a hit most times. So no, I wouldn't say torp planes are the main planes to use.. You picked a bad target really in a Yamato to drop HE bombs on, most of the time you'll get no pens against one and lucky if you start any fires (but does happen now and then). The bombs are still about the best planes because they are faster than rocket and torp planes and will damage just about most other ships - going for a Yamato was probably the worst ship to try and attack with HE bombs and expect decent results

 

My advise, take the improved fire chance skill on RN CV and make more use of rockets and bombs to start fires, than using torp planes. Not as bad using torps on the T10 Aud CV because it drops 3 torps and not only 2. But the Implacable drops too few torps really and if only 1 hits out the two. It results in about the same (or less damage) than you'd get doing a bomb or rocket plane run instead (and with no fire chance using torps)

 

Make sure you also take both "armour" and  "survival expert" (HP boost) skills to make the planes as strong as possible with them being slower speed.

 

Really, they should buff the Implacable to use 3 torps and not 2. The Aud should get 4 torps at T10

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,270 posts
33 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Implacable with hope of Auda

There really isn't a lot of difference between the two. The Auda get more rockets, torps and bombs to use - but it faces much stronger AA ships all the time being a T10 CV. At least the Implacable faces its own tier 8 level at times and can do okay with the weaker AA ships in those matches. So both balance out not being that much different to shout about.

 

I'm playing the Aud now at T10 and not uncommon to see all the planes wiped out before I can even get a first run in

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,356 posts
20,472 battles

I kinda like the Implacable, not because it's reliable, but because it's kinda easy on the aiming side. For me she has the largest damage output of the 3 techtree tier 8 CV's. Disclaimer: I'm an average CV Joe. Be a bit cautious with your reserves if you want to be effective later on in the match: you need to try to get as many planes back to your ship. Improved firechance skill helps (you have rockets and HE bombs), I haven't tested the improved torp speed skill yet.

 

She's nothing like the Enterprise, with which you can use any tool on almost any target. Implacable has more dedicated tools for specific targets.

 

With the Implacable you want to attack DD's with rockets only. Anything else won't stick unless very lucky. The rockets are relatively easy to aim, and have a decent damage output. Good enough to finish off low HP targets including BB's, cruisers, dd's and CV's. Hit the superstructure on bigger targets as much as you can.

 

Torps are your main go to damage applicator for the bigger and slower targets. They are slow themselves, so use them on slow ships like BB's and bigger CA/CL's and anything that camps. I like dropping them really close and usually hit both torps on BB's, less so on cruisers and none at DD's and french cruisers. The faster the target the lower your chances are you can hit reliably with these. Use your repair to get off multiple strikes without losing too many planes.

 

The carpet bombs are floaty, but easy to aim. Carpet bombers are a bit unreliable, but can be surprisingly effective at times. Just not always. Use on big targets, agile light armored targets (frenchies) and campers. Also, anything below 50% HP is a great candidate to start fires on.

 

In tier X heavy matches avoid AA heavy ships at start and mid game and be patient. You simply can't afford to lose too many planes so unless you are certain of a good trade (sinking a ship) pick the right targets with the right tools.

 

PS: Practice your bombing runs in coop to get a feel for drop patterns and speeds.

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,270 posts
15 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I kinda like the Implacable, not because it's reliable, but because it's kinda easy on the aiming side. For me she has the largest damage output of the 3 techtree tier 8 CV's. Disclaimer: I'm an average CV Joe. Be a bit cautious with your reserves if you want to be effective later on in the match: you need to try to get as many planes back to your ship. Improved firechance skill helps (you have rockets and HE bombs), I haven't tested the improved torp speed skill yet.

I've played it a lot and usually do okay in it most games. But you need take them right skills to make the planes very strong and also improve your fire chance as well with the skills to suit rockets and bombs better. But checking score card at end of matches when enemy also has an Implacable. I can see it usually ends up in the top half of the results, sometimes very near the top in some matches. So it does okay from what I see on average being played. I use the torps least of all with it, I only use them really to try and finish off BB or Cruiser ships that are very low on HP.

 

I use the bombs the most, rockets second, torps least unless spotting ships that are low on HP

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

I liked her fine during my grind towards the Audacious (28 games, 76k dam average).

 

I  don't think there's a "main" plane to use on this one -- I used them all quite heavily depending on what I had available,  and what the optimal target looked like at any given time. You rely quite a lot on stacking damage-over-time types. I'd definitely run Demolition Expert on this one, as  both the rocket and bomb salvos are quite large (20 rockets, 16 bombs).

 

I've liked  all the RN carriers I've tried (from Furious up). Their agile aiming (short attack run, quickly narrowing reticle) and sturdy planes give them a distinct  comfort of use that's not really  visible in any of the stats.The way you can turn around almost immediately and  come in for a next attack -- while surviving within the AA -- is very pleasant.

 

I'm not sure there's any dramatic imbalance between Lexington, Shokaku and Implacable. I consider all of them "keepers" because they play quite different. (Implacable is certainly attractive to keep since we got that free permacamo for her.)

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,671 battles
18 minutes ago, jss78 said:

Implacable is certainly attractive to keep since we got that free permacamo for her.

 

Thanks for reminding me! :cat_cool:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Are there any players that do not have Demolition Expert on their UK CV ?

 

For rockets it is a mere 1 % more chance,  but for bombs it is 5 % extra and UK CV's "carpet" bombers happen to drop quite a lot of bombs that damage wise indeed are useless firecrackers.

 

You need to set battleships on fire, have them use their RP and then set them on fire again, and again. Especially BB can burn for extreme amounts of damage IF you can keep the fires going.

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
850 posts
7 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Are there any players that do not have Demolition Expert on their UK CV ?

 

For rockets it is a mere 1 % more chance,  but for bombs it is 5 % extra and UK CV's "carpet" bombers happen to drop quite a lot of bombs that damage wise indeed are useless firecrackers.

 

You need to set battleships on fire, have them use their RP and then set them on fire again, and again. Especially BB can burn for extreme amounts of damage IF you can keep the fires going.

 

 

I do, i think its worth. Even that 1% on rockets is good with the amount of rockets and its nice extra bonus on bombers since they dont dmg directly ships that much like USN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,475 posts
10 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Are there any players that do not have Demolition Expert on their UK CV ?

 

For rockets it is a mere 1 % more chance,  but for bombs it is 5 % extra and UK CV's "carpet" bombers happen to drop quite a lot of bombs that damage wise indeed are useless firecrackers.

 

You need to set battleships on fire, have them use their RP and then set them on fire again, and again. Especially BB can burn for extreme amounts of damage IF you can keep the fires going.

 

 

Don't think I do but that is a valuable tip, many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
15 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Don't think I do but that is a valuable tip, many thanks.

 

It is usefull on (almost) all CV just like @Asakka says.....you often fire rockets by the dozens so even 1 % more chance per rocket adds up, and all CV have rocket Strike Fighters. Ofcourse it works for HE bombs, and will even strengthen you secondary batteries somewhat, setting DD and CV on fire if they are in range of those.

 

The only questionable one is Saipan.....with only 3 rockets per strike aircraft, divebombers being AP and having no secondary battery it has very doubtful contribution to more damage there.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
7,199 posts

Well apart it beeing premium and most likely sharing a captain with midway ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HAMAR]
Players
484 posts

Thank you for your advice, it is really helping a lot.

I seem to be doing better already.

The enemy teem is beginning to complain over CV's in the game. That´s always a good sign. :Smile_Default:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,298 battles

One thing the RN bombs are useful for, is bombing smoke. If you have a DD that needs resetting, and no idea where they are in smoke then these are useful

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,666 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

Actually I changed my mind. It's pretty mediocre, the Implacable :P

Lexington is better in every aspect. By quite a margin.
At least that's how it seems to me after playing both.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,356 posts
20,472 battles
3 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Lexington is better in every aspect. By quite a margin.
At least that's how it seems to me after playing both.

Yeah currently Lexi has highest damage average for me. The Big E. is topping my WR. After playing those two, the UK tier 8 feels like a clumsy step back.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×