You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
admiralgpt

Stalingrad - Do i still get it?

Stalingrad - Do I still get it?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should i spend my steel on the Stalingrad?

• Yes
    • No

21 comments in this topic

Players
208 posts

I am 500 Steel away from the Stalingrad which i should have after our next clan night. But a couple of members within my own clan have advised getting the bourgogne instead. Personally i am happy with the bbs i have in dock and would likely never be using the bourgogne in clan battles as there are better bb players there than myself. So the question is, do i take the grad - or wait for the next big thing? I would prefer to be getting a ship the can be used in clan battles (so not interested in black or flint) and personally still find Grads hard to bring down. I remember little white mouses review

"Meet Moskva II.  Stalingrad doesn't supplement her, she replaces her outright.  This surprised me given the differences in their armament but the more time I put into testing and evaluating their respective play-styles, the more overlap I saw.  There were two disappointing elements in this:

1. Stalingrad doesn't offer anything new in terms of game play.
  2. Stalingrad is yet another example of a premium or reward ship outright supplanting a tech tree ship.

The performance difference between Moskva's 220mm guns and Stalingrad's 305mm guns should have made the two ships feel very different in terms of game play, yet they somehow this just never materialized for me.  To be clear, the guns do perform differently -- vastly so.  However, it's hard not to feel that Stalingrad's guns preserve all of the advantages of Moskva's weapons save rate of fire and then improves upon damage and penetration.  Tack on the advantages of Stalingrad's massive hit point pool and the tech tree ship is just a relic.  Stalingrad is just better without changing her style of play overmuch.  This is unfortunate.  While I can accept Stalingrad being more powerful, that she overwrites Moskva's game play is a real loss -- particularly because she simplifies it to brainless levels.  Stalingrad is not only more powerful, she's easier to play than Moskva and dull to boot".

Yet again, some clan mates suggest the moskis HE make it more formidable as unless enemies are making mistakes, the Stalingrad is much less effective - which i can understand. It takes a lot of time to grind this much steel so i would appreciate a confidence boost before making the decision ;)

Admiralgpt

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles

if you want something for CBs, then Bourgogne is indeed not the best choice probably. Can be made to work, but difficult even for top players. Stalingrads on the other hand are pretty easy to play to an okay level, and fit into many a team lineup.

On the other hand, for Randoms the Bourgogne is one hell of a fun BB to play, while many (myself included) consider the Stalingrad quite dull there. Not weak, mind you, but dull.

• Cool 2

[RO-RN]
Players
1,023 posts
14,173 battles

Well if you are familiar with moskva and you like it then you are going to enjoy the stalingrad as well! But if you dont then it might not be the right choice, same goes for bourgone!

Also seeing those 3 new t10 ships i wonder what are they gonna cost?

Players
208 posts
1 minute ago, Animalul2012 said:

Well if you are familiar with moskva and you like it then you are going to enjoy the stalingrad as well! But if you dont then it might not be the right choice, same goes for bourgone!

I dont have any russian ships - its a tech tree ive gone no where near yet unfortunately so dont have much basis for comparison

[-AP-]
Players
3,110 posts
7,869 battles
1 minute ago, Animalul2012 said:

Thx for reminding me, atkeast one or two of those will probably be steel, so ima save my steel for them^^

• Cool 1

Players
228 posts
4,671 battles

i would actually suggest wait. with new ships being announced you may have interest in one of those if they end up being for steel and quite sure atleast 1 will. 

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles
6 minutes ago, admiralgpt said:

@Tyrendian89 but for clan wars - moski vs stalin? - Is the stalin in effective against well angled/protected positioning opposition?

Against bow-in targets, Moskva has better HE DPM - but it doesnt have nearly the same threat level, so it doesnt force people to always stay mindful if its position and possible angles (or nuke them if they do forget about you). So they do somewhat different things.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,256 posts
16,164 battles

I'm honestly not sure, but I'm getting to Bourgogne and I have both Stalingrad and Moskva.

In any event, I wouldn't base my final decision on that review because that line of thinking is flawed - Stalingrad does not replace Moskva. While sure, it punishes enemy broadsides better, especially at range, there are many instances and positions where its flat out better to have Moskva by virtue of her guns having much better RoF, HE and fire damage potential. 

That isn't to say Moskva is invaluable to any lineup, just that between her and Stalingrad there are tangible differences, contrary to what this review claims, including in competitive. 

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
176 posts
18,529 battles

It is actually the ‘extra’ battleship in BB, disguised as a CA. 

[HNFC]
Players
233 posts
14,828 battles

As I heard Moskva with his legandary upgrade replace Stalin, because of his deadly accuracy. I need 40 steel to reach Stalin so I'm in same situation. I have Republique, not long ago bought Jean Bart, now buy a 3rd french BB Bourgogne?! I have Black too, so I don't know for what I spend my steel... 

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,936 posts
18,027 battles
2 hours ago, admiralgpt said:

"Meet Moskva II.  Stalingrad doesn't supplement her, she replaces her outright.  This surprised me given the differences in their armament but the more time I put into testing and evaluating their respective play-styles, the more overlap I saw.  There were two disappointing elements in this:

1. Stalingrad doesn't offer anything new in terms of game play.
  2. Stalingrad is yet another example of a premium or reward ship outright supplanting a tech tree ship.

I disagree with these two points. Stalin is no Moskva: lackluster HE, but better AP make it a totaly different playstyle. 

Players
0 posts

Having one Stalingrad in the CB fleet lineup provides the team the capability of creating effective cross fire. That can be achieved by coordinating with a hard hitting battleship.You get a second BB for your team when only one is allowed.

Stalingrad has very accurate and hard hitting AP shells, I reliably hit targets at 22-23km. I am often sent to the off cap, and while guarding it, I turn my guns to the contested cap area and more often than not I catch unsuspecting people's broadsides. For that of course I use the range mod.

On the other hand if Stalingrad meats another cruiser head on, its just a matter of time when she will go down if the opponent angles well and knows what he is doing. The better rate of HE fire is deadly to Stalingrad as she has a hard AP punch but totally lacks  HE dpm and it needs favorable angles to get those  AP shells to penetrate..  The only possibility then is trying to knock out the turrets which is quite hard to do. It is very vulnerable to HE and fire even though I use the special russian captain with full tank setup  (all the fire preventions and repair time optimizations.)

All in all if you are the patient player type you can do a lot of good to your clan with a Stalingrad.

I personally believe Wargaming is doing it wrong to lock such a unique capability behind a steel grind wall.

• Cool 2

[CAMEL]
Players
219 posts
5 hours ago, admiralgpt said:

Stalingrad is yet another example of a premium or reward ship outright supplanting a tech tree ship.

The old argument Moskva Stalin. Guess my answer. Moskva>Stalin.

Players
208 posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys - A lot of very valid points, some which i must admit i didnt consider. However not having a any Russian ship at all, i think i want to put one in port ;) so will go for one as soon as I'm able. 

Thanks for the input

Admiralgpt

Beta Tester
1,286 posts
26,803 battles

stalin meta is over already. moskva outtrades the stalin by far with better versatility, higher DPM and hydro in CBs. atm i still drive stalin in CBs but will also switch to moskva soon, as we now reached hurricane and all top clans know very well how to counter a stalin.

stalin is only still fun in some random matches to punish broadsides and to farm reports for it

• Cool 1

Players
1,922 posts
10,793 battles
1 hour ago, IceyJones said:

stalin meta is over already. moskva outtrades the stalin by far with better versatility, higher DPM and hydro in CBs. atm i still drive stalin in CBs but will also switch to moskva soon, as we now reached hurricane and all top clans know very well how to counter a stalin.

stalin is only still fun in some random matches to punish broadsides and to farm reports for it

How does your team counter a stalin then?

Players
930 posts
9,329 battles
59 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

How does your team counter a stalin then?

HIV works very well... So do torps, fires, etc.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
187 posts
9,877 battles

Once you shoot Stalingrad's guns, all the other ships in the game except LM Zao will seem like shotguns.

Yes, everybody wants to shoot at you, set you on fire, CVs will go for you... but the guns! Those shells go exactly where you want them to.