You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
General_Iroh

Strongest AA for its tier

142 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
388 battles

Hey guys!

I've been trying to figure out which cruiser has the strongest AA for its tier, overall. Any ideas? Like the most overpowered AA in the whole game when you consider the rest of its tier? Thank you~

• Cool 1

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
103 posts
16,613 battles

Kamikaze.... so you should always avoid to attack it with planes :cap_rambo:

• Funny 3

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

What is this AA you talk about? The one that shreds planes when you are in a bottom tier CV, or the one that can't even scratch the paint of planes when the CV is top tier?

• Cool 6
  • Funny 4

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
34 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

What is this AA you talk about? The one that shreds planes when you are in a bottom tier CV, or the one that can't even scratch the paint of planes when the CV is top tier?

Or the one  hiding behind mountain ridges...damn that AA....WG must have nerft it because it does nothing !

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
12,530 battles

None! Well maybe minotaur and worcester have some strong AA! but the AA overall is nowhere near as strong as it was in the RTS days! Defensive fire has been nerfed, RNG was added, planes have more HP and way better speed!

• Cool 2

Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

In terms of being complete outliers in AA potency for their respective tiers, the answer is probably Katori and Yubari.

A quick look at wows-numbers seems to confirm this, they're way ahead of all the other ships in their tiers in terms of Avg. Plane Kills. For example in T10 Minotaur is strong, but so are half the cruisers at that tier.

Players
12 posts
388 battles
36 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

None! Well maybe minotaur and worcester have some strong AA! but the AA overall is nowhere near as strong as it was in the RTS days! Defensive fire has been nerfed, RNG was added, planes have more HP and way better speed!

Damn. I haven't played WoWS in quite a while, I just heard some rumors about AA being nerfed, but I didn't know it for sure yet. Ugh.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles

For a T5 Destroyer try the T22's AA.

Lethal against T4 CVs and can hold it's own against T6 unless absolutely focused.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
2 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Minotaur. It’s main guns are it’s primary AA guns so has powerful AA the whole game.

Players complaining about weak AA while they have ships with Dual Purpose main guns or Dual Purpose secondary batteries probably do not realize what captain skills/module make these really spit hellfire.

Or they simply don't want to take them, but want the CV's nerfed so they don't have to take other skills. Such motivations should not go rewarded.....Builds should be a choice between nessesary evils, never fitting all situations.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
2 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Minotaur. It’s main guns are it’s primary AA guns so has powerful AA the whole game.

So are Kektune, Seattle and Wooster. Kektune actually have better long range AA, so for so called fleet screening she would be the best pick due to main battery being dual purpose and then secondary complement of one Daring per broadside.

Should planes get closer than 4km however, you would want Minotaur's 76mm AA guns, preferably with BFT and Sector for maximum pew pew.

2 hours ago, General_Iroh said:

Damn. I haven't played WoWS in quite a while, I just heard some rumors about AA being nerfed, but I didn't know it for sure yet. Ugh.

AA in general has been equalized. Previous no-fly zones like Wooster, Mino or DM got nerfed, while ships with crappy dps can at least hope for the kill due to flak burst mechanic. That however requires CV player willing to collect coins flaks

Beta Tester
1,175 posts
3,161 battles

Montana is the one that takes me by surprise.  

Everyone knows the Worcester and the Minotaur have the best AA, but I'm always surprised that a BB can murder my Lexington's squadrons that fast. 

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Mutsu and Dunkerque are more powerful then their average T6 counterparts, even CV are weaker. Dunkerque can mount fighter consumable so probably has the strongest T6 AA.

Some but not all T7 DD get Dual Purpose guns and have in fact stronger AA then some Cruisers and Battleships. ( Akatsuki, Mahan, Sims ) UK DD seem screwed without DP guns.

King George V, Hood and Lyon seem to have the strong AA in T7. Since King George V can have a fighter consumable it has probably the strongest T7 AA. Hood has the 100 % AA consumable ( in form of AA rocket launchers ) UK DD still screwed without DP guns.

At T8  KII seems to stand out. KII can mount a fighter consumable so is pretty tough and has more powerfull AA then most T8, even of  T8 CV ....which is impressive.

Rediculous is Saipan ( T8 CV ) has weaker AA then any DD at that tier......if you want to kill CV with air strikes...that is the one.

• Bad 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,671 battles

Basically any surface ship with the fighter consumable. The first CV strike might get through, but not many planes will make it home.

Meanwhile, the CV fighter consumable is almost completely useless.

Players
89 posts
4,308 battles
4 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Players complaining about weak AA while they have ships with Dual Purpose main guns or Dual Purpose secondary batteries probably do not realize what captain skills/module make these really spit hellfire.

Or they simply don't want to take them, but want the CV's nerfed so they don't have to take other skills. Such motivations should not go rewarded.....Builds should be a choice between nessesary evils, never fitting all situations.

I don't agree. This is world of warShips not warPlanes. I don't think I should waste skill points on a single potential enemy since there are 12 enemies in total. I think carriers are still too op and annoying against the rest of the ships. 

And I say this as one who enjoys carrier gameplay and who has all the tier 8 premium carries. 

Players
89 posts
4,308 battles
7 minutes ago, Kaseko said:

USS Kidd 

shot-19.04.20_21.54.54-0407.jpg

Do you have full AA skilled captain? Thank you for answer in advance. 

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,506 posts
25,802 battles

AA has been nerfed. I have played Atlanta lately, and CV can damage or sink it now, 1-2 attacks will go through the defensive AA, even if you kill the planes. Before this was not possible. 

• Cool 1

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,289 battles
11 minutes ago, 22cm said:

AA has been nerfed. I have played Atlanta lately, and CV can damage or sink it now, 1-2 attacks will go through the defensive AA, even if you kill the planes. Before this was not possible. 

:o a CV can damage an AA ship. The audacity of it. I am so sorry for your inconvenience. 

• Cool 1