Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AbashedLemming

Coal Ships In The Armory

56 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
86 posts

Currently sat on 275 k coal and 787 k free XP.

 

Have the following premium high tier ships

 

Musashi

Cosscak

Atago

Kronshtadt

 

Trying to decide between Jean Bart or Salem or waiting for next Armory ship which I believe will be a Jap ship.

 

Both Salem and Jean Bart give me a premium in a nation I dont have. Alaska would give me a USA premium and with some flags and stuff is achievable fairly easily. But salem is T10 which makes it quite appealing. As a F2P player fremiums mean I can play at the higher tiers which I like. So all options are good for me just trying to see if there is an optimal path.

 

All thoughts very welcome

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles

Salem is too similar to des moins, so save coal and just grind USN cruiser line.

Jean bart in other hand is ton of fun but it can be challenging to play if you have no prior experience in high tier FR BBs.

If you are in no rush, wait for Yoshino, wait for reviews than decide.

 

When it comes to free xp ship. I dunno. I regret my Alaska purchase, i'm on a fence for Azuma cos of all the bad reviews. I'm just sitting on 1.5M free xp and saving it for "better days".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
86 posts
6 minutes ago, quickr said:

Salem is too similar to des moins, so save coal and just grind USN cruiser line.

Jean bart in other hand is ton of fun but it can be challenging to play if you have no prior experience in high tier FR BBs.

If you are in no rush, wait for Yoshino, wait for reviews than decide.

 

When it comes to free xp ship. I dunno. I regret my Alaska purchase, i'm on a fence for Azuma cos of all the bad reviews. I'm just sitting on 1.5M free xp and saving it for "better days".

Yeah with salem I can have des moines and still make credits without buying premium, which is why it appeals.

 

I do like the idea of the jean bart, I am quite keen on it.

 

Not in a rush as I said Yoshino is a jap freemium and I think it is good to have premium ships in multiple nations. But obviously I would like the best option.

 

Not sure about alaska, I quite like Kronshtadt except for the terrible AA, had hoped alaska would make good replacement but that is not what I have read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,391 posts
14,337 battles

Salem is a good earner with a reduced service cost and a T10 camo on the top of it.  Experience from Des will help you. Jean Bart is not so good, IMHO Musashi and Missouri are better at t9. I'd say get Salem or wait for new announcements and reviews. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
89 posts
10,384 battles

Everyone says Jean Bart is cool - I am inclined to believe them.

 

I can say that Alaska is quite capable. She is basically a heavier Des Moines that can do some open water gunboating due to quite good armor scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,259 posts
12,229 battles

Next coal ship will be Yoshino, another battlecruiser-y thing but this time with great torpedo armament (they're testing Shima's 20km torps now as an alternative to the 12km). I'd guess torpedobote Benham is going to be coal as well, or FXP. As for JB or Salem, best way to decide is if you've played DM and Richelieu. Salem emphasizes the bowtaking potential of DM with a superheal, but you get worse radar which can be replaced by standard hydro. JB is slower than Rich with better AA and more firepower. But it's probably the squishiest BB around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,187 posts
9,641 battles

I don't really know why the Alaska sometimes get a bad rep? Because it is not OP? Anyways the Alaska offers great protection, solid American AA, 10 km radar, a decent enough 12.2 km concealment and pretty nice guns.

 

The AP power is really nice thanks to the improved pen angles (even if the pen can sometimes fail you), but the HE is kind of terrible and should only really be used vs DD's. Other than that I find it a solid ship and it prints money as a cherry on top.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,288 posts
13,444 battles

Jean Bart or posssibly wait for Yoshino.

Salem is usually considered a weaker Des moines. The Des moines is cheaper.

 

Dues to it's armour, guns and speed boost I drive her like a battlecruiser.

You will need to use HE sometimes but it has a good fire chance and is very effective.

Then a ship goes broadside, switch to AP with main battery reload and shoot 3 salvos into the broadside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,431 posts
7,069 battles

Tried to look up your statistics, but you have hidden them. Both are solid ships, but not comparable gameplay wise, so pick what you will enjoy to play. WG just announced another set of freemiums/premiums so I guess it is up to you how long you want to wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,449 posts
245 battles

Hope that new russian cruiser is avaliable for coal, even with its low hp pool and armour 16 130mm guns at 4.5secs (not to mention AFT and BFT work on this ship) or even the new french one, will just rain shells like no tommorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles

I don't regret the Alaska with Free XP. She is fun to play and the rate she generates cash. Just don't show any broadside... and don't try and bow tank a Yamato.

However I can't get excited enough by either Salem (I have Des Moines) or Jean Bart (Only as far as Normandie). I got hold of the Aigle previously - she's OK as a light cruiser but not really a DD to my mind, but at least she gets smoke. Also the OP asked specifically about High Tier Fremiums.

The coal choices altogether seem pretty meh so I'm sitting on 260k of coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YJKG]
Players
488 posts
23,043 battles
15 hours ago, quickr said:

Salem is too similar to des moins, so save coal and just grind USN cruiser line.

Jean bart in other hand is ton of fun but it can be challenging to play if you have no prior experience in high tier FR BBs.

If you are in no rush, wait for Yoshino, wait for reviews than decide.

 

When it comes to free xp ship. I dunno. I regret my Alaska purchase, i'm on a fence for Azuma cos of all the bad reviews. I'm just sitting on 1.5M free xp and saving it for "better days".

Azuma is a garbagefire, they nerfed it into the ground so they can justify releasing Yoshino. My strong recommendation is to not bother unless you enjoy getting lolstomped by any BB looking at you from across the map since the ship is too fat to dodge shells, the clumsy to actively maneuver out of torpedo spreads, too squishy to angle against anything, too vulnerable to HE spam and fires to push up to support DDs, too easy to keep spotted by DDs to be safely able to do anything near the frontlines.... her AA is okay though and she's an okay long range fire spammer..... though her ROF sucks balls. She needs her plating back, some extra HP and torps... oh wait that's Yoshino already cuz WG is out of ideas and wants to pound the IJN with more crappy premiums.... :D

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
86 posts
58 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

I don't regret the Alaska with Free XP. She is fun to play and the rate she generates cash. Just don't show any broadside... and don't try and bow tank a Yamato.

However I can't get excited enough by either Salem (I have Des Moines) or Jean Bart (Only as far as Normandie). I got hold of the Aigle previously - she's OK as a light cruiser but not really a DD to my mind, but at least she gets smoke. Also the OP asked specifically about High Tier Fremiums.

The coal choices altogether seem pretty meh so I'm sitting on 260k of coal.

Perhaps I will just push for Alaska. I quite like the Kron but would be nice if she had better AA, Alaska probably fits that.

 

Then I will wait to see what happens in the armoury.

 

Thanks for all the comments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,580 posts
16 hours ago, AbashedLemming said:

(...)

Trying to decide between Jean Bart or Salem or waiting for next Armory ship which I believe will be a Jap ship.

(...)

As I'm sure you had no bad intentions, use IJN instead. "Jap" is an ethnic slur.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,449 posts
245 battles
3 hours ago, Skyllon said:

As I'm sure you had no bad intentions, use IJN instead. "Jap" is an ethnic slur.

Depends on the context in which the word is used in.

 

Some japanese people themselves even use it as an abbreviation to japanese.

 

Edit: You can downvote me all you like but im still right.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
6,509 posts
8,957 battles

I'm saving coal as well and will either get Salem or whatever T10 is on sale for Clan Battles.

We'll see what gives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,404 posts
14,934 battles

I haven't been paying enough attention: does anything know if there are likely to be any new T10 coal ships turning up in advance of the next Ranked season?

 

If there aren't, Salem isn't a bad way to get a profitable T10 for 'free', although a lot of people are rather sniffy about her, in comparison to Des Memes...

 

(I don't have an informed opinion, as I only just got Salem, and have no idea yet how to play her)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,289 posts
7,513 battles

Yoshino should be the next Coal ship but there is no certitude that it will be available for the next RB season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
6,509 posts
8,957 battles
44 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I haven't been paying enough attention: does anything know if there are likely to be any new T10 coal ships turning up in advance of the next Ranked season?

 

If there aren't, Salem isn't a bad way to get a profitable T10 for 'free', although a lot of people are rather sniffy about her, in comparison to Des Memes...

 

(I don't have an informed opinion, as I only just got Salem, and have no idea yet how to play her)

Meh, all cruisers in Clan Battle play the same: hide behind island, when discovered, angle as much as you can and dakka until death.

Apart from that you'll sometimes get some minor variations but that's it. Sometimes you can run around a bit and go dakka but that's rare.

First T10 cruiser I'll get to is Minotaur but that's a bit away, so I'll take Salem. Sneak, peak and Dakka. Lotsa dakka. 

No Des Moines but Worcester for me so a sim-Moines might be handy too. 

 

None of the other ships have anything I really want, and I can do without the T8+MM and gameplay.

So, a T10 its gonna be and wil be used almost exclusively for CB, gives my clan some more choices.

 

For rea fun I;d like a T7 but that means steel, and then it will be Flint, most likely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Jean Bart is probably a Cruiser killer much like the Graf Spee, Dunkeque and Scharnhorst are at lower tiers. You can shoot at Battleships with it but it won't be that effective.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,391 posts
14,337 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Meh, all cruisers in Clan Battle play the same: hide behind island, when discovered, angle as much as you can and dakka until death.

Apart from that you'll sometimes get some minor variations but that's it. Sometimes you can run around a bit and go dakka but that's rare.

First T10 cruiser I'll get to is Minotaur but that's a bit away, so I'll take Salem. Sneak, peak and Dakka. Lotsa dakka. 

No Des Moines but Worcester for me so a sim-Moines might be handy too. 

 

None of the other ships have anything I really want, and I can do without the T8+MM and gameplay.

So, a T10 its gonna be and wil be used almost exclusively for CB, gives my clan some more choices.

 

For rea fun I;d like a T7 but that means steel, and then it will be Flint, most likely.

 

6

And there (CB) is where Salem eats opponents, insane HE DPM,  zombie heal, AP to punish attempt to torp it.  At closer range, it is a beast.  Things are getting harder when you need to hit kiting HIV or Zao.

Flint is fun, no regrets in getting her (AA and dakka), but the effective range is poor and shell flight time, especially with AFT, can be frustrating - hitting anything else than a slow BB or camping CC is a challenge for me often, even if I am used to USA DD guns ballistics. I am having more fun with similar gameplay with Fiji, to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONI]
Players
1,259 posts
12,229 battles
8 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Jean Bart is probably a Cruiser killer much like the Graf Spee, Dunkeque and Scharnhorst are at lower tiers. You can shoot at Battleships with it but it won't be that effective.

 

 

In fact, the 380mm doesn't overmatch USA CA (or I think German), so it's considerably worse against those than the average BB. Bow-on Salem is a hard counter to 380mm BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×