Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thanks_for_all_the_fish

Killer Whale Scenario has a "always fail" flaw.

33 comments in this topic

Players
27 posts

Dear WG, can you PLEASE change the Killer Whale Scenario to no longer include the "half the team must reach the exit". Either remove it completely or change it so only 1/3 of the team (or hell, even 1/7) has to make it.

I've lost track of how many fails I get in this because people just won't go for the exit. They're too busy farming useless damage to bolster the win-score that will never come. This very evening I've done 6 tries in there, where 5 have failed because of this.

And while I'm on the subject of scenario-wishes: Please return the ones you've removed. Put some effort into fixing the airplane issues they have and let us have them back. Oh, and add MORE scenarios at Tier 8-10.

Thanks for your attention and time.

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

Players
2,981 posts
3,358 battles
52 minutes ago, Thanks_for_all_the_fish said:

They're too busy farming useless damage to bolster the win-score that will never come. This very evening I've done 6 tries in there, where 5 have failed because of this.

Yes that is one way they fail. The other way they fail is they all get to exit,

but they forget to kill all the ships that have those 'rings' on them.

As such they fail to get all the stars... :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 3

[L4GG]
Players
1,719 posts
6,705 battles

Do you know how many ops are saved from that little detail? A lot.

yeah we loose some but the gain is far more superior than the loses.

if there are two ships left, only one have to go in.

the rest if they think they will not make it in time they just have to die.

yeah, trying to tell this sometimes can be a problem but...

• Cool 2

Players
2,981 posts
3,358 battles
1 hour ago, Thanks_for_all_the_fish said:

And while I'm on the subject of scenario-wishes: Please return the ones you've removed. Put some effort into fixing the airplane issues they have and let us have them back. Oh, and add MORE scenarios at Tier 8-10.

That too. :cap_like:

• Cool 3

[SEN]
Players
433 posts

Compared with other Op., this one its a piece of cake man, my usual rate of winning its 8-9 of 10,  I have no reasons at all to complain about this op; If too few plp reach the exit its easy to ask the later one to die fast, and this easy solves the puzzle;

More, on this Op. the cv.s can shine, they get an major contribution since they can fast kill the target bb.s and its not once when I saw cv.s on first top score.

Hell, even me, a poor cv player I do managed a couple of times to get first place with over 200k dam,  a thing who deeply satisfy, hehe, since I am potato on cv.s.

To conclude, this Op. its an easy mod, no reason to complain.

The rewards are decent,  the bots are not very dangerous, and the fun it's there.

World of Warships Screenshot 2019.04.22 - 12.50.29.54.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2019.04.22 - 12.50.17.75.png

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,511 posts
3,466 battles
3 hours ago, Thanks_for_all_the_fish said:

Dear WG, can you PLEASE change the Killer Whale Scenario to no longer include the "half the team must reach the exit". Either remove it completely or change it so only 1/3 of the team (or hell, even 1/7) has to make it.

No, if your team can't be bothered to read ALL the mission requirements they deserve to lose.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,134 posts
6,705 battles

I've been playing this a lot today with randoms and the results were varied.   We did manage to have on 5-star game but we managed to lost (badly) a few battles.

In one I was in a cruiser and after we took out the forts I headed north to take out the forts and the exit was to the south.   A New Mexico and a division mate in a  cruiser decided to make their way north also on the inside of the bay (they were a long way behind me).  When I went north (on the inside of the bay) after the south exit was revealed I did say I did not need any support.   While we did make most of the objectives these two muppets were still in the north when the battle time ended so we ended up losing that one.

[PUPSI]
Freibeuter
7,220 posts
Vor 9 Stunden, BLUB__BLUB sagte:

As such they fail to get all the stars... :Smile_facepalm:

better a not-all-stars-win than a 5-star-loss...

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,194 posts
10,639 battles

The phrase ''please die so we can win'' is utterly ridiculous and you probably won't ever hear it outside of KW.

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,823 posts
6,042 battles
10 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Compared with other Op., this one its a piece of cake man, my usual rate of winning its 8-9 of 10,  I have no reasons at all to complain about this op; If too few plp reach the exit its easy to ask the later one to die fast, and this easy solves the puzzle;

More, on this Op. the cv.s can shine, they get an major contribution since they can fast kill the target bb.s and its not once when I saw cv.s on first top score.

Hell, even me, a poor cv player I do managed a couple of times to get first place with over 200k dam,  a thing who deeply satisfy, hehe, since I am potato on cv.s.

To conclude, this Op. its an easy mod, no reason to complain.

The rewards are decent,  the bots are not very dangerous, and the fun it's there.

When other players just fail to go to the exit, and not get killed hiding behind the island ridges (!) .....you lose time and again.

If everyone would just go to the exit in time - and not before time when objectives still could be completed - it would be a very easy Operation. But the human factor makes it one of the hardest Operations to win, just like OP says because even when you have eliminated all enemies, you will still lose when not in the circle with enough ships. And there rarely are...most wins are because the bots delete out of place players so suddenly there are enough players in the circle since that is by percentage. But hiding behind islands frustrates that so they live and lose.....

I have no idea why so many players keep failing objectives and display unfitting  PvP behaviour like hiding behind island ridges or dancing around incoming fire instead of pushing objectives and killing the enemy. You would swear these must be WOT players with such hiding behind obstacles behaviour, even against scrpited bots....

[NWP]
Players
5,141 posts
6,597 battles

I used to play Operations quite often, but now i barely play them anymore.

- Only 4 OPs available, which make them too repetetive.

- Players are so abysmal, that the chance to lose is too high, so you waste your time. Was so nice back then, could farm tons of damage but your team atleast played together with you. Now they barely do anything (includes all operations). Used to play OPs solo, but nowadays even 2 guys arent always enough to get a 5 star win out of it. Then i could play with 4-5 guys right away and dont have to deal with :etc_swear:

- For me, the rewards seem to be really bad lately. WG should give more XP, to attract more players again. Its like a spiral, which gets worse and worse all the time. Less players = more losses = more good players stop playing = which leads to more losses and so forth. And thats certainly how it feels now.

Spoiler

shot-19_04.19_23_42.20-0897.thumb.jpg.030188c34370156264baa5c9383050eb.jpgshot-19_04.19_23_42.23-0821.thumb.jpg.83285b629d4999d9f4834a3261676d2a.jpg

Imo for that amount of damage, it feels really bad. Why should i play this? Even more so, if my team can just throw it by not going to the exit zone. Then i get 300 XP.

Obviously farming good XP on T6 ships and having fun to play is a no-no for WG :cap_fainting:

• Cool 3

Players
1,067 posts
8,084 battles

I like operation Killer Whale a lot in most respects -- it has fairly varied gameplay stages --  but I agree the "exit clause" is frustrating. I've had so many games where everything goes well but the team simply fails to understand they will lose unless they move to a specific area. 

I've always thought that ideally the operations would be "idiot proof", in the sense that they can be won with a few bad players in the team, though not necessarily with all stars.

For example, in Newport Defence, even if half your team suicides by drifting out the defence area, you can still secure a win by doing a deep defence in the heal zones with just 2-3 ships. You won't get 5 stars, but there's still a thing to be achieved all the way to the end, and it's not as frustrating. In Narai, likewise, even if only ~half the team knows what they're doing, you can still enter the harbor and get a low-star win by ignoring the departing transports and CV.

In Killer Whale you're so often left watching in frustration as the guy refuses to go to the area, despite pinging the map, asking in 5 languages, etc. :Smile_facepalm:

[PUPSI]
Freibeuter
7,220 posts

another very annoying behaviour in Killer Whale:

Many players prefer to attack the harmless transports and port installations while there are fighting enemies left...especially the König and the König Albert can be very dangerous for cruisers, but very often they are allowed to live for a long time and to do much damage. I mean how can a CV think that it is a good idea to attack the transports with his torp planes instead of the BBs?

Players
27 posts
11 hours ago, lafeel said:

No, if your team can't be bothered to read ALL the mission requirements they deserve to lose.

And what if they can't understand what it says? I feel quite sure this is part of the problem on the EU servers. I know the client is translated to several languages, but I'm absolutely sure many just don't have a clue what the game's trying to tell them because they can't understand the language used.

• Funny 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,823 posts
6,042 battles
1 hour ago, jss78 said:

... asking in 5 languages, etc. :Smile_facepalm:

Impressive...and it still fails, makes you wonder if you deal with failbots instead of humans....

[L4GG]
Players
1,719 posts
6,705 battles
5 hours ago, Klopirat said:

better a not-all-stars-win than a 5-star-loss...

Nope.

For me it's all or nothing.

Or we get it all or we die trying. :)

I've got to say, one thing that bothers me the most in killer whale are those players that get 3 stars and go home, usually living me alone to deal with all of the other "stars". 

in the upside, that resolve the 50% of your team part of my part...

34 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Impressive...and it still fails, makes you wonder if you deal with failbots instead of humans....

... But I understand, I think with the steam thing, the player base grew, and there's a lot of new players, Inexperienced players, it's not their fault.

the rest of us have to be patient I only wish their would not be that much at once.

came on, Defence of Newport lost at the first wave?

And this (the following it's also my fault).

In the op channel all I see is :

anyone for Narai

Narai.

Narai, pls team up with me for Narai, Narai, Narai, Narai, Nar...

Well, I do like that operation, the problem is.

It's the only OP that I can't play properly. Usually I get by with 11 or 15 FPS, but in Narai when we are about to enter the harbour, the sound goes to crap the action jumps usually for a bit because, you know...3 or 4 FPS, the pings goes to hundreds of pings, I must remain zen for a few moments until all is back to normal (with the sound it's until the end, but this is since the last patch) and in top of that.... I don't know... in 50 games   I only see the end result once... if I'm lucky.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,099 posts
15 hours ago, Thanks_for_all_the_fish said:

(...) Oh, and add MORE scenarios at Tier 8-10.

Nah!  We need something for T2-T4!

[WWGU]
Players
468 posts
8,216 battles
16 hours ago, Thanks_for_all_the_fish said:

Sorry - No - I have far too many 2 & 3 star fails because people won't wait to exit than fails because people don't exit.

I understand your frustration, but the frustration of knowing that a team can get all 5 stars and then quits on you. It seems worse with the Northern Exit zone than the south.

And yes - I have deliberately suicided after achieving the requisite ship kills to allow the team to win.

16 hours ago, Thanks_for_all_the_fish said:

Yes and Yes to this. Lets have the old ones reworked for the current aircraft and more scenarios for tiers other than T6 as well.

It would be even better if the new scenarios would be historically based like Dynamo.

A Pearl Harbour IJN CV one would be fun for example!

Edited by Cambera_1
Clarity of text

[EUR]
Players
370 posts
4,103 battles

unfortunately this mission has a high fail rate cuz it asks different people and players to follow a couple of (very clearly stated) instructions. Numerous times I lost this with everything done, cuz some ship didn't want or understood that it needed to exit. Maybe a flashing sign in the last two mins? But again it is what it is. Some play only one day every week or even less. You never know what you will get and it is just random.... :cat_paw: wait.

yep just like randoms. :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,823 posts
6,042 battles
31 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

In the op channel all I see is :

anyone for Narai

Narai.

Narai, pls team up with me for Narai, Narai, Narai, Narai, Nar...

I stopped doing that as i discovered the core ones doing this grouping are very bossy and elitist, probably very logical as the are "farming" Narai for XP and credits for themselves.

That means if you try to shoot or torpedo anything like merchants or the CV raking a lot of credits/xp ( damage is barely or not at all absorbed ) they are angry at you because you " are out of position"  Yet some manage to be sunk by the CV guarding DD and CL torpedo's, ot the DD guarding the merchants  as if that is a surprise to them after so many times at it, and fail to get a 5 star anyways.

I am not used to being hold back by such style or playing  so that is a no go for me too.

• Boring 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,719 posts
6,705 battles
55 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I stopped doing that as i discovered the core ones doing this grouping are very bossy and elitist, probably very logical as the are "farming" Narai for XP and credits for themselves.

That means if you try to shoot or torpedo anything like merchants or the CV raking a lot of credits/xp ( damage is barely or not at all absorbed ) they are angry at you because you " are out of position"  Yet some manage to be sunk by the CV guarding DD and CL torpedo's, ot the DD guarding the merchants  as if that is a surprise to them after so many times at it, and fail to get a 5 star anyways.

I am not used to being hold back by such style or playing  so that is a no go for me too.

What I usually do is that go to that little island to ambush little trouble, no matter which ship I'm in. then go sink the cv, dd and phoenix

because normally the teams don't go there and it's one star.

Players
72 posts
1,582 battles
Il y a 7 heures, MoveZig a dit :

The phrase ''please die so we can win'' is utterly ridiculous and you probably won't ever hear it outside of KW. 

You should play more randoms then :Smile_trollface:

On the subject at hand, I'm surprised that some people seem to consider Newport easier than KW ... Yes, you have the usual people not being able to read and understand the objectives. But I don't feel you need to remove the "half the team needs to survive", but instead rephrase it with a dynamic objective phrasing as this :

"X/Y ships at the exit point" with X the number of ships actually in exit point and Y=S/2 the number of ships needed (with S being the number of ships atm). And a ping sound everytime Y changes, in order to remind of the final objective. People wanting to farm damage and overextending will still do that, but people unaware of the real objective (and they are more numerous than one can think ...) may better understand this and play accordingly.

But Newport with a Normandie, I've eaten my keyboard more than once :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,823 posts
6,042 battles
2 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

What I usually do is that go to that little island to ambush little trouble, no matter which ship I'm in. then go sink the cv, dd and phoenix

because normally the teams don't go there and it's one star.

Yeah a lot of players let that little trouble sink merchants by ramming.....and if mercants still live fail to guard them through port entries getting them sunk, especially the entrance most near to where little trouble should be sinking....

[SEN]
Players
433 posts
15 hours ago, MoveZig said:

You are selfish to think like that dude,  I asked several times mates in an RANDOM team to do so and usually peoples understand,  since they have all to win or all to lose. Myself I "suicide" when I get in such position when I realize I can't get on exit on time. But yes, are occasions when I do meet peoples, only concerned about themselves,  who prefer to ruin a team objective because stats count more... even at the cost of a stupid, simply avoided defeat.

I found more active teamwork on Op.s than in random battles,  and it is refreshing.

• Cool 1