Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wot_2016_gunner

Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya and Russian BB

8 comments in this topic

Players
1,553 posts
3,197 battles

I don't know if posting this here is the best idea, if it is better to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

So... this morning, i was reading one of my books about ships: "Navi da battaglia della Seconda Guerra Mondiale", translated "Warships of WWII", great book, if it exist in your language please check it out.

IMG_20190419_122703.thumb.jpg.3cb0633d344a02ba2f2caea9e2d906b6.jpg

And at the very last page, there is the section dedicated to the Soviet Union.

IMG_20190419_122731.thumb.jpg.042d6bac2f0fabe9981b3e07de97c7d2.jpg

IMG_20190419_123058.thumb.jpg.1f80d03ecf2036da314183f862d953ce.jpg

And reading about the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, i came across something that made me say: "wait a minute, this is new". 

IMG_20190419_122738.thumb.jpg.b5654cf686d7eb641d33cea1ec93c0ba.jpg

This little paragraph says that originally, the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya class, was named Gangut class, it does even say it in the wiki: "Until 1925, this Russian battleship was known as Gangut. Designed before World War I, the ship carried main battery guns that were good for her time...". 

But does Gangut sound familiar to you? Yes, because it is the name for the upcoming Tier IV russian BB. What is the problem? Well... Gangut and Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya are the same ship, and in a sense they are (the Gangut has the WW1 hull and the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya has the refitted hull)

My fix whould just be to change the name, maybe to Sevastopol or Petropavlovsk, the original names of the sisterships of Gangut (Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya) like you did with the Tier X French BB (originally France and now Republique).

I don't have a problem with the Russuan BB, just wanted to correct a small historical inacuraccy 

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
20 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

just wanted to correct a small historical inacuraccy 

Most Russian ships in game are nothing more than historical inaccuracies. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles

I think i read the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya carries less secondary guns then the Gangut it previously was and seems to have been also in game ( you see some secondaries missing from the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya ) that were scavenged IRL for other purposes in the chaotic period in Russia that ship existed.

Due to that and other stats the Gangut version  seems to have been more powerful in game then the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is.....

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles

Usually silver ships have the name of the class, while premiums are specific ships, so Gangut as the name of the silver ship is right, also this happens for Alsace/Bourgogne or Iowa/Missouri for example... 

• Cool 1

[FAILS]
Players
532 posts
19,612 battles

Okt. Rev. is not the first example of litterally the same ship in different configurations. You have that with Svietlana/Krasny Krym or Nürnberg/Makarov as well (and possibly more).

Players
8,162 posts
9,009 battles
1 hour ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

But does Gangut sound familiar to you? Yes, because it is the name for the upcoming Tier IV russian BB. What is the problem? Well... Gangut and Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya are the same ship, and in a sense they are (the Gangut has the WW1 hull and the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya has the refitted hull)

My fix whould just be to change the name, maybe to Sevastopol or Petropavlovsk, the original names of the sisterships of Gangut (Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya) like you did with the Tier X French BB (originally France and now Republique).

I don't have a problem with the Russuan BB, just wanted to correct a small historical inacuraccy 

What historical inaccuracy? One is the old Gangut, one is the refitted OR. Both are two states of a ship that once existed. Both are quite accurate in that respect.

Meanwhile Republique is an utter paper project that never received a name, it isn't just an existing ship that underwent a refit.

36 minutes ago, BruceRKF said:

Okt. Rev. is not the first example of litterally the same ship in different configurations. You have that with Svietlana/Krasny Krym or Nürnberg/Makarov as well (and possibly more).

Also Benson/Loyang.

Players
7,028 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Meanwhile Republique is an utter paper project that never received a name, it isn't just an existing ship that underwent a refit.

Well this is the closest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_R%C3%A9publique

just pretend it got a major overhaul or something.

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles
2 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

Boise/ Nuevo 

Sign in to follow this