Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beastofwar

Wearing down AA modules viable ?

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles

I always attack targets of oppertunity - limitless supply of them in randoms - but by accident i seem to have worn down a dangerous AA cruiser of it's AA modules or maybe even DP turrets....as it put out hardly any AA after a few squadrons punished it with HE weapons while i had to wait for respawning full torpedo squadrons. It was really a noticable event, almost like he used "P" but some continuous damage was still done so that was not it.

 

Is it a viable thing to do to attack a powefull AA ship ( AA cruiser, BB, CV ) with HE weapons first wrecking it's AA modules ( and DP turrets or is that AP damage ? )  to make following up attacks more succesfull ?  Essentially focussing on one ship and wearing it down from full health to destruction ?  Or is that wastefull as other surface ships kill it far easier and quicker ( if they do ) and you better roll up targets of oppertunity or support where required ?

 

Never been there...yet. I wonder if some of you have.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
Players
299 posts
8,140 battles

If you have to attack a ship with strong AA, then yes wearing down its AA mounts with some HE spam is a good idea (especially ships such as the RN BBs, which tend to cluster many of the mounts in one easily crushable spot). For the same reason, if you're in an HE spamming surface ship, it's quite helpful for the friendly CV if you soften these targets up a bit for them in advance when you get an opportunity to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,477 battles

Oh yes, obviously since AA mounts can be destroyed. By concentrating fire on superstructure first it is possible to whittle down the AA of any ship. This is exactly the tactic we are using, when I team up with our clan's CV specialist. I will take IFHE Mogami or any other Cruiser doe that matter and bombard a Strong-AA-BB's superstructure for a bit. Until we think enough have been disabled or destroyed and then he will send his planes in for the kill. Works wonderfully well and reduces his plane losses considerably (he likes to play Graf Zeppelin, so Strong-AA-BB's like Iowa tend to be a bit hard to chew on otherwise). :cap_like:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles
30 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Oh yes, obviously since AA mounts can be destroyed. By concentrating fire on superstructure first it is possible to whittle down the AA of any ship. This is exactly the tactic we are using, when I team up with our clan's CV specialist. I will take IFHE Mogami or any other Cruiser and bombard a Strong-AA-BB's superstructure for a bit. Until we think enough have been disabled or destroyed and then he will send his planes in for the kill. Works wonderfully well and reduces his plane losses considerably (he likes to play Graf Zeppelin, so Strong-AA-BB's like Iowa tend to be a bit hard to chew on otherwise). :cap_like:

 

That makes sense as in more organized enviroments as clan battles there are presumably less or no targets of oppertunity making themselves isolated and vulnerbale to air attack...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
Players
299 posts
8,140 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

 

That makes sense as in more organized enviroments as clan battles there are presumably less or no targets of oppertunity making themselves isolated and vulnerbale to air attack...

 

 

I have found no instances of ships in this season's clan battles being vulnerable to air attack.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles
6 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

I have found no instances of ships in this season's clan battles being vulnerable to air attack.

 

And probably the reason why CV can't just be nerfed when some players think some feature is too strong in randoms ...that would handicap a class in other enviroments too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
9 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

I have found no instances of ships in this season's clan battles being vulnerable to air attack.

 

1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

 

And probably the reason why CV can't just be nerfed when some players think some feature is too strong in randoms ...that would handicap a class in other enviroments too much.

 

But...

I mean...

Err...

Nope... I've got nothing.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
Players
299 posts
8,140 battles
6 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

 

 

But...

I mean...

Err...

Nope... I've got nothing.

If it helps to clarify my earlier comment, I'd definitely say that there were many instances during the cross server clan battles test season a month or so back when I did see ships being incredibly vulnerable to air attack. :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,371 posts
14,090 battles
52 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

If it helps to clarify my earlier comment, I'd definitely say that there were many instances during the cross server clan battles test season a month or so back when I did see ships being incredibly vulnerable to air attack. :cap_haloween:

And don’t forget practically making another class entirely pointless. Yay... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles
1 hour ago, lossi_2018 said:

Dmg or not you will wear down his nerves which is something that can lead to mistakes, so profit :Smile_hiding:

 

But these are AA cruisers will initially be so powerful none of your aircraft come back. If you want to kill such a ship, it has got to be worth it in score returns.

 

Can you imagine taking this AA cruisers AA out with 3 full squadrons deleted, but then when you finally want to feast on it's health pool in damage because it has become an AA stripped  ship , some allied surface ships blast it to hell....great for team effort and all, but leaving you with low reserve aircraft and virtually no score.

 

The other way around if surface ships whack such an AA cruiser , at least they get rewards of doing decent damage, even if a CV swoops in and takes the kill.....but not many surface ship players seem to have such priorities. AA cruisers are the usual long term survivors together with CV.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,371 posts
14,090 battles

 

30 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

 

But these are AA cruisers will initially be so powerful none of your aircraft come back. If you want to kill such a ship, it has got to be worth it in score returns.

 

Can you imagine taking this AA cruisers AA out with 3 full squadrons deleted, but then when you finally want to feast on it's health pool in damage because it has become an AA stripped  ship , some allied surface ships blast it to hell....great for team effort and all, but leaving you with low reserve aircraft and virtually no score.

 

The other way around if surface ships whack such an AA cruiser , at least they get rewards of doing decent damage, even if a CV swoops in and takes the kill.....but not many surface ship players seem to have such priorities. AA cruisers are the usual long term survivors together with CV.....

 

Drop 2/3 squads into the sea on the way, boom and zoom your target. Go back again. Or line up a run with multiple targets. Simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
280 posts

So lets put it here, too:

 

DefAA should become unlimited, and AA mounts should not be permanently destroyable, or limitless planes need to go, period. Carriers allready ruin the earlygame, but lategame is when they become unkillable nightmares, even for dedicated AA ships. And that is very bad gamedesign.

It doesn´t matter if you are in a Sims/Kidd/Cleveland/DesMoines/Worcester...if it´s late into the game and you need "that" cap, no chance. Carriers will just chip you to death, slowly, relentlessly, but it´s inevitable. They dont care what ship you are in.   

 

Right from the beginning of this rework, the most broken mechanic were the respawning planes, when on the other hand you run out of AA mounts and consumeables. This becomes even worse, when every week another easy to execute carrier exploit pops up, that makes AA even more useless.  

 

So...early spotting of carriers got allready adressed, now it´s time to cut their lategame potential, especially against AA destroyers and cruisers.  

 

Edit: And I know how to dodge in a DD. It´s even possible to dodge one complete run, even of 2 carriers attacking you, but you can´t just dodge everything, every single time. So in late game, as a AA build ship, when your out of smoke, out of DefAA and - because AA mounts dont respawn - out of any defense...you will die to a carrier. And that is wrong.  

 

Russian cruisers, battleships, dd´s without AA...it´s all fine if they get countered by carriers, that is their weakness, but AA cruisers and destroyers? No, a carrier should allways be forced run and avoid AA ships, unless there is no other target, and it should be lethal to him (his planes).

Just like attacking a light cruiser in a DD, to reset the cap. You can do it, ONCE! You might even sruvive, but afterwards it´s "gg" for you, because you sacraficed most of your health... 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
Players
299 posts
8,140 battles
2 hours ago, Kutfroat said:

So lets put it here, too:

 

DefAA should become unlimited, and AA mounts should not be permanently destroyable, or limitless planes need to go, period. Carriers allready ruin the earlygame, but lategame is when they become unkillable nightmares, even for dedicated AA ships. And that is very bad gamedesign.

It doesn´t matter if you are in a Sims/Kidd/Cleveland/DesMoines/Worcester...if it´s late into the game and you need "that" cap, no chance. Carriers will just chip you to death, slowly, relentlessly, but it´s inevitable. They dont care what ship you are in.   

 

Right from the beginning of this rework, the most broken mechanic were the respawning planes, when on the other hand you run out of AA mounts and consumeables. This becomes even worse, when every week another easy to execute carrier exploit pops up, that makes AA even more useless.  

 

So...early spotting of carriers got allready adressed, now it´s time to cut their lategame potential, especially against AA destroyers and cruisers.  

 

Edit: And I know how to dodge in a DD. It´s even possible to dodge one complete run, even of 2 carriers attacking you, but you can´t just dodge everything, every single time. So in late game, as a AA build ship, when your out of smoke, out of DefAA and - because AA mounts dont respawn - out of any defense...you will die to a carrier. And that is wrong.  

 

Russian cruisers, battleships, dd´s without AA...it´s all fine if they get countered by carriers, that is their weakness, but AA cruisers and destroyers? No, a carrier should allways be forced run and avoid AA ships, unless there is no other target, and it should be lethal to him (his planes).

Just like attacking a light cruiser in a DD, to reset the cap. You can do it, ONCE! You might even sruvive, but afterwards it´s "gg" for you, because you sacraficed most of your health... 

I swear I'm getting deja vu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
3,804 posts
17,897 battles

Why two threads for the same topic?

 

- yes, it's a viable tactic to destroy AA mounts on AA heavy ships (preferably with "expendable" planes, such as the rocket fighters)

- in my opinion it's trivial to soften the opposition before attacking with the valuable assets; I'm not sure why this question is even needed

- ^ it's not a new tactic, any player with a working brain can/should think of this

- this has/is already been/being discussed in the other thread

 

Why two threads for the same topic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×