Jump to content
RamboCras

Hakuryu Tips

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[VLOOT]
[VLOOT]
Players
258 posts
18,585 battles

Hi, 

On my Midway, I now to start my torp-run between 5.5 en 6km and drop the torps last moment and like 10m before the ship. If I catch a ship broadside, I very often get 6 torps hits in 1 run. My Rockets I start the run sometimes at 4.5km but also read people start it at 6.5 so the aiming circle is very small?

 

Soon I will grind the Hakuryu, if anyone likes to share there experience on the torp drop & lead I would be very much appreciated. I also saw Notser do a multiple run on a stationary ship. With the 8k torp range, at what range do you start that run so you can throw the first set at exactly 8km?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,022 posts
11,816 battles

8km torp setup was meme in 0.8.0 and got quickly neutered with hotfix, 6km "short" torps is way to go. Drop characteristics and overall gameplay is the same as Shokek, differences being rockets are only "leaves something to be desired" instead "hilariously ineffective" and AP bombs can citadel non UK and non FR battleships with actual consistency. Still primary anti cruiser weapon though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[N0RSE]
Players
179 posts
14,510 battles

Yes, go for 6km torps. In general I like Hakuryu torps better than Midway, since they have higher alpha damage per fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,110 posts
8,599 battles

Rather revive this than opening my own thread, but I could also use some tips on how to Hakuryu. First off I'm a CV noob with very limited experience in CV's post rework, so I will also accept that this is in general a lack of experience question.

But so far I have found that I can't quite influence the battle in the degree I would like, and I can't pin it down as to why. Small samplesize and lack of games played overall in CV's are 2 big factors sure, but I can't really see what I'm doing that makes me feel very ineffective.

 

My spotting damage is alright, overall damage ok (could be better), I go for high value targets in the beginning and farm damage as a secondary objective. And yet I still don't feel I'm doing enough. So any tips would be useful, posting my builds aswell for added tips and tricks.

 

Crew skills

Spoiler

cdc257988b.jpg

Modules

Spoiler

550d7ad537.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,916 posts
16,585 battles
On 6/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, ollonborre said:

Rather revive this than opening my own thread, but I could also use some tips on how to Hakuryu. First off I'm a CV noob with very limited experience in CV's post rework, so I will also accept that this is in general a lack of experience question.

But so far I have found that I can't quite influence the battle in the degree I would like, and I can't pin it down as to why. Small samplesize and lack of games played overall in CV's are 2 big factors sure, but I can't really see what I'm doing that makes me feel very ineffective.

 

My spotting damage is alright, overall damage ok (could be better), I go for high value targets in the beginning and farm damage as a secondary objective. And yet I still don't feel I'm doing enough. So any tips would be useful, posting my builds aswell for added tips and tricks.

 

Crew skills

  Reveal hidden contents

cdc257988b.jpg

Modules

  Reveal hidden contents

550d7ad537.jpg

 

Here's what i used to hit R1

 

Start Rockets or TB for scouting. (TB BB/cruiser for causing confusion and slow some ships).

2nd squad TBs again to the other cap

Basically TBs untill a cruiser enters a cap or goes near an island and makes himself an easy target for AP bombs.

Rest is game sense, but basically try strike isolated targets or targets not covered by Mino / worch aa, start by eliminating the cruisers, and chunking the BBs and only kill DDs if they try to cap and are isolated (or get too close).

Try to drop fighter cover for allies on the way to the target if enemy CV focus them.

 

Build:

You dont need TA, torps do 50 knots already and the the arming distance is proportiional to torp speed. Try two tier 1 skills instead.

Modules: speed on the 3 mil module. Speed is everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
576 posts
11,607 battles

(Returning to Hakuryu after just a few games several months ago)

 

Is the long-distance 4-torpedo option still viable for Hakuryu, as of 0.8.4? I'm asking because this post in Development Blog section seems to say that this option would be dropped for 0.8.4 altogether. However it's still available in the game. Has it been changed somehow, instead?

 

The option with 6 times 2 torps is somehow dumb, but it is effective and works exactly like you play Shokaku and Ryujo. You hit with both torps most of the time.

 

The option with 3 times 4 torps is attractive in terms of getting more fish in in the water, but... If I did my math right, the arming time in seconds is something like 2.2x longer. Even when dropped at minimum distance, I'm sure the hit rate would be pretty low.

 

Do they only make sense when dropped from stealth? Do they make sense even then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,022 posts
11,816 battles
16 hours ago, asalonen said:

(Returning to Hakuryu after just a few games several months ago)

 

Is the long-distance 4-torpedo option still viable for Hakuryu, as of 0.8.4? I'm asking because this post in Development Blog section seems to say that this option would be dropped for 0.8.4 altogether. However it's still available in the game. Has it been changed somehow, instead?

 

The option with 6 times 2 torps is somehow dumb, but it is effective and works exactly like you play Shokaku and Ryujo. You hit with both torps most of the time.

 

The option with 3 times 4 torps is attractive in terms of getting more fish in in the water, but... If I did my math right, the arming time in seconds is something like 2.2x longer. Even when dropped at minimum distance, I'm sure the hit rate would be pretty low.

 

Do they only make sense when dropped from stealth? Do they make sense even then?

If you definition of "viable" is "bordering on useless...

 

Arming time aside, 4x option flies on flak level, not under, so attack wing eat a lot of damage even with dmg reduction from "attack mode". Stealth torping is ineffective, as you spend too much time on it. If anything carpet torping enemy CV - start attack run at 10km, drop first wave of torps at 8km mark, reenter attack run ASAP and drop 2nd batch, with using entire boost to slow down you might be able to drop 3rd one. If CV guy on receiving end doesn't pay attention, he *might* eat a lot of fishes, but afterwards chances are he will get his ironing board moving, so thats one time stunt basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
576 posts
11,607 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

Arming time aside, 4x option flies on flak level, not under, so attack wing eat a lot of damage even with dmg reduction from "attack mode"

This is a detail that I had completely missed. Not sure if this is actually documented somewhere. In any case, the 4x option is then really intended to be dropped from stealth. I imagine somebody might find it appealing, but I say... no thanks.

Nothing quite like the IJN torpedo bombers good concealment and fast attack runs, dumping two torps into the foe who has just too little time to react. I'll stick to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,022 posts
11,816 battles
1 minute ago, asalonen said:

This is a detail that I had completely missed. So the 4x option is really intended to be dropped from stealth. I imagine somebody might find that appealing, but I say... no thanks. Nothing quite like the IJN torpedo bombers fast attack runs, dumping two torps into the foe who has just too little time to react. I'll stick to that.

WG tried with 0.8.4 PTS (?) to revive 4x option by shortening arming distance and cooldown between attacks, but in return planes get NO dmg reduction whatsoever. Final result was they brought back old Flying Shima, so 4x option will be removed altogether from game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×