You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beaker71

When DDs lost stealth fire...

10 comments in this topic

[77MM]
Players
408 posts
14,374 battles

I know there's lots of CV threads - with seemingly the majority not liking, but i was curious - when DDs lost the ability to stealth fire - did the forums "kick off" to the same extent as with the CV rework?. i.e. DDs players complaining, and everybody else saying "suck it up"?

Although i was slightly annoyed at the loss of stealth pew pew from my gearing - it was a stupid mechanism in the first place. Just strikes me the current CV rework is kinda like late game stealth fire was  i.e. short of blind firing there was nothing you could do about it. Which is how it can feel when isolated mid/late game now against CVs

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
611 posts
14,289 battles

Yes. And yes this current 'meta' is the worst thing that has happened to DD's since forever, if they hated the class so much they should just not have them in the first place, DD's cant do sweet F all in this current meta, and CV's are just more 'OP' as they were before. Atleast with the RTS CV's there were drawbacks like 1 drop a squad (yes if landed corrected was strong but atleast there was down time and you had the chance to minitigate it in most cases), limited Aircraft, etc now ships just get abused constantly, which is fine when your not a DD'. DD's have been shat on by WG over and over since CBT. 

CV's should of stayed binned imo, it doesnt fit in this game on any level whatsoever, theres a reason in RL they won the war, and in this game its exactly the [edited]same, you cannot balance a class designed to counter everyone, you cant its impossible. But i think everyone is aware of how much WG care about the health of their games, theres a proven track record for years.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Players
3,310 posts
3 minutes ago, Shadeshot said:

Yes. And yes this current 'meta' is the worst thing that has happened to DD's since forever, if they hated the class so much they should just not have them in the first place, DD's cant do sweet F all in this current meta, and CV's are just more 'OP' as they were before. Atleast with the RTS CV's there were drawbacks like 1 drop a squad, limited Aircraft, etc now ships just get abused constantly, which is fine when your not a DD'. DD's have been shat on by WG over and over since CBT. 

CV's should of stayed binned imo, it doesnt fit in this game on any level whatsoever, theres a reason in RL they won the war, and in this game its exactly the [edited]same, you cannot balance a class designed to counter everyone, you cant its impossible. But i think everyone is aware of how much WG care about the health of their games, theres a proven track record for years.

Sorry i will just have to disagree on that, DD's do what, spot and cap? Well time for change, and I say this as a CV player now, DD's team up or shadow an AA cruiser, and both go cap,or better still use your sneaky DD to actually hunt down the CV, and kill it with torps, or rapid gunfire, it is all about adapting and role swapping.

At high tiers, you get an AA cruiser and DD creating a flak bubble,that for sure will keep the CV at bay.

• Bad 2

Beta Tester
265 posts
7,847 battles

I seem to remember it was a little more muted, largely because a lot of DD players actually agreed that stealth firing from open water wasn't a great game mechanic whilst with CVs it isn't only destroyer players who are upset. But there was still plenty of complaining, especially from people who had purchased the Blyska and were running a stealth fire build on it who wanted their money back.

EDIT: From memory the thrust of things was DD players saying "this is a nerf, what are you going to buff to compensate" rather than complaints about the nature of the actual nerf.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,563 posts
6,319 battles
8 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Sorry i will just have to disagree on that, DD's do what, spot and cap? Well time for change, and I say this as a CV player now, DD's team up or shadow an AA cruiser, and both go cap,or better still use your sneaky DD to actually hunt down the CV, and kill it with torps, or rapid gunfire, it is all about adapting and role swapping.

At high tiers, you get an AA cruiser and DD creating a flak bubble,that for sure will keep the CV at bay.

Thats bollocks, if you are planning to keep your destroyer with an aa cruiser at all times, its entire purpose is gone, you may aswell play a cruiser instead of trying to play a destroyer as a gimped cruiser.

Also hunting carriers is the biggest waste of time imaginable, and probably the best way to lose games in a destroyer.

A semi-intelligent cv will always position in such a way that you cant sneak up on them, and even if they dont, they can easily kill a dd 1v1 when it gets close.

Even if the dd miraculously manages to kill the cv, it takes such a long time, and keeps the dd in a position where he cant duel/cap/spot for such a long time, that it actually still hurts the destroyers chance of winning the match.

Hunting carriers is almost never a good play.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,693 posts
13,813 battles
4 minutes ago, thiextar said:

you may aswell play a cruiser instead of trying to play a destroyer as a gimped cruiser.

*Laughs in Khabarovsk* :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
611 posts
14,289 battles
37 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

OH what a fun game that is, shadowing a ship all game because you cant do anything else. [edited]. I play CV aswell and i still say its broken. You want a balanced fun enjoyable game this current meta isnt the answer. Period. You literally sound like WG Dev's that are in charge of balancing lol. Idiot.

I can also see why.... I suppose when you get a god tier ship its ok when your WR is so low in general.. not ok for the DD's you smack for 10k a Drop outta 4 per squad. With their pittiful around 20k HP depend on what DD your in.

The fact of the matter is this current 'meta' isnt healthy for this game period. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[77MM]
Players
408 posts
14,374 battles
13 minutes ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

From memory the thrust of things was DD players saying "this is a nerf, what are you going to buff to compensate" rather than complaints about the nature of the actual nerf.

Was just googling a few old forum postings, and yes you're right - but also still a lot of people complaining that this was the end of DDs! Some things never change it seems :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,693 posts
13,813 battles
19 minutes ago, Shadeshot said:

IRL the war(at sea) was not won by CVs, they largely supplanted the BB as chief capital ship - yes, were they invaluable - yes but that isn't what won the war per se.

You could argue quite convincingly that the real winners of the war were DDs, then CA/CL in that order. Their vast and widespread use across all roles, huge numbers produced and the results they delivered is testament to this. 

These were and still are, albeit evolved, the real workhorse ships.

• Cool 1

6,149 posts
10,639 battles
14 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Some things never change it seems

Exactly. Forums never change :D

Nonetheless, this could've been easily discussed in the proper thread --> 

Thread closed!