You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
hamed_pour

WTF Yamato! Help me with this ship please!

65 comments in this topic

[SPAI]
Players
25 posts
3,954 battles

So for years I have sailed in my CA/CLs and I have feared seeing the Mighty Yamato spawn on my flank.

So like all true scrubs I decided to grind to it to become mighty myself.

I’m not going to tell you how terrible the Izumo was coz you all know.

Finally, I reach the mighy YamYam … aaaannnnddddd … it’s a piece of sh*t!! 

A massive, slow, sluggish, disappointing piece of crap that overpens everything.

Did I also mention that they made it with matchsticks doust in gasoline.

Weaknesses:

All the HE ships, All DDs, Kiting CL/CA that know their sh*t, CVs (coz f*** the current meta), being alone, trying to turn, trying to run, trying to kite, trying to brawl, citadel shape, … I could go on.

Strengths:

Big guns, and maybe torp protection (not that that’s going to save you from any DDs – intelligent CVs will burn you instead as well)

I have an atrocious 41% winrate in this ship. Which means only one thing. I am terrible at sailing her. Please please help me!

Give me ALL the advice.

I would like to remind you that a bunch of you helped me with my Kron some time back, and that baby went from 40% to 51% now in a matter of weeks. So, you did help a lot. I now bully Yamies in my Kron. Love seeing the helpless bast*rds spawn on my flank.

• Cool 18
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 3

Players
3,015 posts
7,832 battles

Watch some Flamu vids about Yamato, then you may get an idea how to play this ship. Yamato is something like a movable fortress played pretty stationary. Think about an oversized Cleveland. The key is good positioning.

• Cool 2

[SPAI]
Players
25 posts
3,954 battles

Thank you. I have seen the Flamu vids sir. I sadly believe that the stationary style of playing it is now obsolete due to heavy CV presence in t10 battles. In the current meta if you are stationary you can’t stay with your AA blob and CVs will just rekt your face. I speak of experience. Vast majority of my deaths have been to CVs who for some reason just have a hard on to focus down Yamies. But I do greatly appreciate your input .

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,566 posts
6,319 battles

Yamato is extremely strong if you can keep her in an optimal position at all times. I haven't quite got to grips with my yammy yet, but the few times that I've managed to find that sweets pot position, she's an absolute beast. 

That said tho, I'm not the best guy to ask, because I'm currently potatoing in her by playing way too aggressive. All I can tell you is that the yamato has zero tolerance for not being in an optimal position. 

If you get slightly to close, you will burn to a crisp(just as any battleship, they all have the same fire resistance), if you stay to far back, you won't be effective, as you need to use your hp to protect your team(although yammy should be played further back than the other battleships. ). And finally, you need to make sure that you are in a position where no one has your broadside. 

Also worth mentioning that there is a common misconception that a Yamato should always be sitting still nose in, this can work if you have a very good position with an island covering your flabk, or are sure that the enemies won't rush your flank. Generally tho, if you are unsure if you can hold your flank, just stay angled away from the enemies and mobile so that you don't get trapped nose-in when you need to run away. 

It's hard to give specific advice tho, I'd recommend sending some of your average replays in her, so that some of the forums good Yamato players can analyze them. 

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,819 battles

If there's a CV in the game at the start you look for the Kutuzov/Mino/Neptune/USN cruiser that spawns closest to you and then you make it you waifu/stalking victim.

Those ships tend to have a mostly stationary playstyle as well, so generally you should be able to play the Yama to her strenghts while staying withing 3-5km of your new star-crossed lover.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3

Players
10,033 posts
11,833 battles

Well, Yamato have at glance weak AA. But her short range is more than able to rekt returning planes, so you might deplane CV having a hard on for you... eventually

[SHAFT]
Players
9,841 posts
8,985 battles
1 hour ago, hamed_pour said:

I now bully Yamies in my Kron.

If you are getting good with Yamato, you will snack Krons for Breakfast :Smile_trollface:

What 460mm guns (dont have Yamato, but i do like my Musashi) do to Kronshadts :Smile_teethhappy:

Spoiler

shot-19_01.22_22_33.17-0971.thumb.jpg.49480c1dab6adbfbda3da4a1b81c596a.jpgshot-19_02.27_21_49.17-0276.thumb.jpg.3ecf0854907403b1e9a99d5832d4d4e7.jpg

Basicly any broadside and they just evaporate, due to the citadel deck being overmatchable. Kron is fare more tanky vs other BBs (except Repub and 457 Conq), because they cant get into the Citadel by overmatching the deck armor.

Id say, i play my Musashi less stationary than other people, so i get to use my backturret more often. Also with Yamato, minimap is your biggest friend. You absolutely have to know when someone can shoot your weakspot, and when not, so you get the best out of it. As you can see, in both the screenshots, there is nothing really which can hurt me despite me showing broadside to more than half of the enemy fleet.

And when i play Musashi, i tend to Focus BBs a bit more than i do with other BBs, simply because of the overmatch capability. Germans not so much, because they have such strong armor, unless you get their broadside ofc. But like French/RN BBs, they are something you want to hit (Conqueror and Lion are situational, as shooting them, when they can undetected/run away, is wasted salvos). US/IJN BBs you have to know where to hit, as they have plating which can bounce your shells.

All Cruisers are extremely vulnerably to your shells, because they cant bounce them, compared to most other BBs which can struggle against TX Cruisers with their 30mm plating.

1 hour ago, hamed_pour said:

Thank you. I have seen the Flamu vids sir. I sadly believe that the stationary style of playing it is now obsolete due to heavy CV presence in t10 battles. In the current meta if you are stationary you can’t stay with your AA blob and CVs will just rekt your face. I speak of experience. Vast majority of my deaths have been to CVs who for some reason just have a hard on to focus down Yamies. But I do greatly appreciate your input . 

I think its better to take a torp or 2, if otherwise you would need to show broadside. Torps dont hurt so much, and with new flooding mechanic you can have 1 flood running if you are Tank-build. (Module, Flag, BoS)

[XTREM]
Players
1,703 posts
13,824 battles

Yamato has only 2 real weaknesses, citadel position/shape and AA, and one of these is largely moot if you know how to keep your ship angled properly and don't charge into a crossfire. 

All the weaknesses you listed barring the citadel aren't really weaknesses and are overcome with experience, knowing how to position, and knowing when to do what, like all ships. 

Aside from that its not easy to give player specific advice without knowing more about how you play, but don't sit stationary or reverse in Yamato the whole game, it's a waste. When you need to make the play, you play. Never be too far from the team, vary your speed and help draw some fire. Move up carefully at the right moment, tank a ton of damage, blap them and you will help turn the tide. 

And yes, she is disadvantaged at close range, but with experience and a bit of good play she can manage just fine. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,916 posts
19,734 battles

Ironically like the grand majority of BBs Yamato AA outperforms that of the majority of cruisers if you just take the braindead catapult fighter.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,703 posts
13,824 battles
5 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Ironically like the grand majority of BBs Yamato AA outperforms that of the majority of cruisers if you just take the braindead catapult fighter.

Speaking of, they really need to fix this 'whole squadron launching from a single catapult' animation, it's breaking muh immersion. 

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,918 battles

Astonishingly enough in the beginning I too struggled in making the guns work. I neither hit well despite Yamatos guns which are supposed to be accurate, nor did I overmatch well. It was either shatter, overpen or normal pen and often I had better results with Missouri (due to improved shell angles I guess). It is a targeting issue for sure (which fortunately got better over time), however I concur that a Yamato that can't make its guns work is not very enjoyable.

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
14,618 battles
41 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Astonishingly enough in the beginning I too struggled in making the guns work. I neither hit well despite Yamatos guns which are supposed to be accurate, nor did I overmatch well. It was either shatter, overpen or normal pen and often I had better results with Missouri (due to improved shell angles I guess). It is a targeting issue for sure (which fortunately got better over time), however I concur that a Yamato that can't make its guns work is not very enjoyable.

I am not sure what you are talking buddy but Yamato == Missouri in regards of penetration angles. 

In addition Yamato with legendary module have far better dispersion and AP shells are faster  which equals in more consistent salvos. 

[-AP-]
Players
2,566 posts
6,319 battles
38 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Only murican 203mm freedom guns gets the improved pen angles

Beta Tester
265 posts
7,857 battles

Not really a BB player myself but the yamato seems to be played best fairly stationary in positions likely to provide good cross fire opportunities with the rest of your team. The gun calibre also provides a lot of opportunities to overmatch bow in ships.

Mostly wanted to say I don't see why people are down voting the OP, they have come to the forum to say they are struggling with a ship and are asking for help in playing it better. That should be encouraged and supported.

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,841 posts
8,985 battles
15 minutes ago, thiextar said:

And Alaska for extra freedom damage farming :cap_cool:

[-AP-]
Players
2,566 posts
6,319 battles
5 minutes ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

Mostly wanted to say I don't see why people are down voting the OP, they have come to the forum to say they are struggling with a ship and are asking for help in playing it better. That should be encouraged and supported.

Indeed.

Commence operation "upvote op"

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
4,652 posts

You can also set your sights on the Yamato legendary upgrade. There are two ways of getting one, buying it with ironium or doing the combat mission. If going the combat mission route, you can make it easier with optimal use of flags and camo. Also the quickest way to complete phase 4 (15 victories) is doing it in coop (in case you didn't know these things).

Yamato is a great ship even if she is not invulnerable, gz and happy hunting! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,271 posts
6,553 battles

I am a mediocre Yamato player, but all I do is to make sure that I can cover my own cap while hitting the tactical cruiser spots of ships on the other side of the map as well. I play her extremely passive and as soon as we have taken the cap I will go dark so that I can snipe across the map. 
I simply ignore the kiting cruisers and avoid their HE spam by using my own concealment or hugging islands. That is till they turn broadside again.

They say she's very accurate, but man, even with the legendary upgrade she doesn't feel as accurate as the Montana. Probably because she lacks an additional 3 shells. 
Keep in mind that besides her front cheeks she is also pretty pathetic at kiting due to the many flat spots on her stern. On the other hand you can overmatch the bow of any ship except the mighty GK :D

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,918 battles
1 hour ago, Episparh said:

I am not sure what you are talking buddy but Yamato == Missouri in regards of penetration angles

1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Yes, I stand corrected. What I was meant to say is that I got better results with the improved american (heavy) MK8 shells than with the Yamato shells.

Players
2,900 posts
4 hours ago, hamed_pour said:

So for years I have sailed in my CA/CLs and I have feared seeing the Mighty Yamato spawn on my flank.

So like all true scrubs I decided to grind to it to become mighty myself.

I’m not going to tell you how terrible the Izumo was coz you all know.

Finally, I reach the mighy YamYam … aaaannnnddddd … it’s a piece of sh*t!! 

A massive, slow, sluggish, disappointing piece of crap that overpens everything.

Did I also mention that they made it with matchsticks doust in gasoline.

Weaknesses:

All the HE ships, All DDs, Kiting CL/CA that know their sh*t, CVs (coz f*** the current meta), being alone, trying to turn, trying to run, trying to kite, trying to brawl, citadel shape, … I could go on.

Strengths:

Big guns, and maybe torp protection (not that that’s going to save you from any DDs – intelligent CVs will burn you instead as well)

I have an atrocious 41% winrate in this ship. Which means only one thing. I am terrible at sailing her. Please please help me!

Give me ALL the advice.

I would like to remind you that a bunch of you helped me with my Kron some time back, and that baby went from 40% to 51% now in a matter of weeks. So, you did help a lot. I now bully Yamies in my Kron. Love seeing the helpless bast*rds spawn on my flank.

I like the yamato. It is a cool ship historically.

I'm awful with it. Atrociously bad. Guns can't hit anything, when they do it's a surprise.

So I can't really offer advise but maybe some things i found out can help.

It is so much out of touch with current reality of the game that it gives you minimal stuff you can work in a game.

Tremendously co dependent on the team around you and with the cvs you are usually the last one leaving a spot. Hug the rocks, secure one side of the ship is the only thing that kinda works and block a lane or path for yr team. Have as many ships in front of you as it is possible. It is a very situational ship and I can't play it on some maps at all, then again I'm bad with it. you have very little time to learn it as everyone knows where you are from the get go but it has it's strengths and it is a ship that needs a lot of work to learn.  Never show broadside, forget the rear guns.

Unfortunately we get to learn it during the era of the CV which don't really favors big slow ships wit meh AA. Usually it sits at port looking fantastic but when i use it I get frustrated very easy, but a lot of ships got sidelined in the current meta. Ah, you are always in t10 games which well, don't really help.

• Cool 1

Players
3,375 posts
14,102 battles

I am bang average in her. And I have no love for compared to GK, Republique and Montana. But when I do play with her I always stay with the fleet. Never get separated. That’s how you get whittled down and sunk.

[THESO]
Players
579 posts
11,637 battles
36 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Clearly your a bb noob if you are a CA primary and have only just started playing bbs. Maybe learn more about the ship class before complaining. 

You're the one complaining. OP was asking for advice, if you actually read what he wrote. 

About Yamato: I also struggle with it, more than a hundred games with barely 50 % winrate and mediocre 100k average damage. I haven't played the high-tier battleships much, and I think I just don't have the necessary patience. In many battles good play is likely more static than what I do instinctively.

Looking at some other people stats in Yamato, it's clearly not the ship. The main battery is absolutely epic, even more so with the legendary module, but I just don't get enough out of it in practice. 

• Cool 3

[-AP-]
Players
2,566 posts
6,319 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Clearly your a bb noob if you are a CA primary and have only just started playing bbs.

Maybe learn more about the ship class before complaining. 

Everyone and their dog knows that the Yamato class is slow and sluggish, so you should have expected it.

The BB you are moaning about is actually a deadly ship in the right hands! 

Remember a ship is only as good as the person sailing it.

Yamato is one of the easiest pee brain ships you could master, literally point shoot delete.....

You dont even own the yamato, and you are doing absolutely terrible in the t10 battleships that you do own.

OP actually performs better in his yamato than you do in any of your t10s, yet he is here asking for advice since he knows that hes not playing it as well as he could. Meanwhile you are here telling him that a ship that you do not own, in a class and tier that you yourself suck at, is easy to play?

What even....

• Cool 6
  • Funny 3

Players
1,908 posts
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Maybe learn more about the ship class before complaining. 

BBs? Yamato? EZ angle, point and click does not get any easier than that.