Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Chokaro

Des Moines Capt Skillset

16 comments in this topic

[OSEF]
Players
6 posts
2,947 battles

o7 fellow captains,

Since the CV rework mushed up some of the skills and their usefulness, I sorta wanted to investigate what you considered to be the best DM build and why?

Im grinding my way up the line right now (almost at Balti) and Ill soon get Halsey who I will immediately boost to 19 points and put into said DM. I thought of something along the lines of this:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1010000000100010000001100000000119

... Unfortunately this doesnt leave enough points left for any AA skills. This leaves me with 2 options:

1) Either fill up the remaining three points with nice-to-have things such as Jack Of All Trades + Preventive Maintenance

2) Take a skill point out of the above 16 pts build and invest into a 4pt AA skill (either AFT or manual AA). Things that could be dropped are possibly Expert Marksman, Priority Target or Demo Expert.

Any opinions? And if I go for route 2) then which is rated higher? Manual AA or AFT?

Thanks and take care

Beta Tester
4,572 posts
19,869 battles

Link not working.

AFT not worth it now.

[OSEF]
Players
6 posts
2,947 battles

Thats odd.... http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1010000000100010000001100000000119

Second try. If it just doesnt work its:

T1 Priority Target / Expert Loader

T2 Adrenaline Rush / Expert Marksman

T3 Superintendent / Demolition Expert

T4 Concealment Expert

So manual AA > AFT? Might drop the point in PT and go for manual AA then

[TTT]
Players
4,453 posts
7,947 battles
12 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Link not working.

AFT not worth it now.

link works, must be something on your end (did you include the space at the end when copypasting by any chance?)

I'd say dropping DE for MAA is a very viable option, kinda also depends on how you want to play the DM and what you care more about...

[OSEF]
Players
6 posts
2,947 battles

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to go for legendary Mod + Halsey... So an agressive playstyle. Ill admit I havent played the DM yet, but resetting a 19pt skill captain is just so darn expensive that I wanted to give it some thought first.

I guess the tossup will be between dropping DE or PT in favor of MAA then. I will mull this over. Experienced enough players should be fine without PT but im not sure if im there yet

[TTT]
Players
4,453 posts
7,947 battles
Just now, Chokaro said:

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to go for legendary Mod + Halsey... So an agressive playstyle. Ill admit I havent played the DM yet, but resetting a 19pt skill captain is just so darn expensive that I wanted to give it some thought first.

I guess the tossup will be between dropping DE or PT in favor of MAA then. I will mull this over. Experienced enough players should be fine without PT but im not sure if im there yet

I've always felt like the better you are, the more you get out of information skills like PT... there's barely a ship that I play without it these days.

If you want to go for an aggressive Legendary Mod style, you could also consider Radio Location to turn you into a true DD hunter and knife fighter. Probably not an optimal choice (if there is such a thing), but it can work (I'm running that because I'm too lazy to get another high skill captain and I want RL for ClanBattles...)

• Cool 1

[OSEF]
Players
6 posts
2,947 battles
15 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

I've always felt like the better you are, the more you get out of information skills like PT... there's barely a ship that I play without it these days.

If you want to go for an aggressive Legendary Mod style, you could also consider Radio Location to turn you into a true DD hunter and knife fighter. Probably not an optimal choice (if there is such a thing), but it can work (I'm running that because I'm too lazy to get another high skill captain and I want RL for ClanBattles...)

I guess thats a question of philosophy.. I also use it extensively, then theres superunicums/streamers who I rarely see using it, claiming that with experience you have enough situational awareness to know what ships might be targetting you. Others swear by it as a torp indicator (Flamu)

Yeah, Ive seens the radio location type gameplay as well... I guess that might be a tad too committed to that agressive playstyle. I might switch to that once Ive gathered some experience with DM in general. For now Im considering to drop PT in favor of MAA and Ill just consider that every ship in range/with an angle on me is actively targetting me ;)

thanks and cheers

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,659 posts
3,562 battles

@Chokaro Surely you can not go wrong with a classic concealement/aa build..

Beta Tester
1,027 posts
4,682 battles
22 minutes ago, Chokaro said:

I guess thats a question of philosophy.. I also use it extensively, then theres superunicums/streamers who I rarely see using it, claiming that with experience you have enough situational awareness to know what ships might be targetting you. Others swear by it as a torp indicator (Flamu)

Yeah, Ive seens the radio location type gameplay as well... I guess that might be a tad too committed to that agressive playstyle. I might switch to that once Ive gathered some experience with DM in general. For now Im considering to drop PT in favor of MAA and Ill just consider that every ship in range/with an angle on me is actively targetting me ;)

thanks and cheers

RL is easy to have. You get an idea of where torpedoes can come from and you can easily judge whether you should pop your radar or not.

I often use pt on high paced ships, since it saves me from looking at people’s guns. Most players will lock on long before they fire, so it gives me some extra time. 

I haven’t played the Des Moines yet against these wonderful carriers, only in CBs so far.

Good luck and have fun with her :D

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
9 posts
9,566 battles

even tho the AA effectiveness is not so good as the minotaur, i would still go for AFT, u really dont need Expert Loader. with a reload of around 5 seconds already the effect is not so much anyways. And sometimes the secondaries of the DM can be funny as well. As mentioned before go for the Legendary Module and Propulsion Mod. Standing still shooting and move when spotted and being shot at is mostly a guaranteed miss by the enemy (when positioned properly)

[BLITZ]
Players
2,775 posts
10,241 battles

Why not just BFT?

[AMOK]
Players
1,472 posts
7,236 battles
13 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

I don't think DM can be DD "hunter" since she is to slow and above 10km it can be really hard to hit a DD who is actively avoiding your slow shells. But with the quality of players these days, I guess you could still do that.

For me PT is a must.

Does Halsey have bonuses on certain skills?

[TTT]
Players
4,453 posts
7,947 battles
59 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

I don't think DM can be DD "hunter" since she is to slow and above 10km it can be really hard to hit a DD who is actively avoiding your slow shells. But with the quality of players these days, I guess you could still do that.

well, that was more of a "sneak around islands and surprise the foggers" style of DD hunting, since DM isnt a particularly good open-water ship anyway - and in those kinds of situations RL can be quite useful. But, again, very much up to personal taste - just thought I'd mention the option :Smile_Default:

1 hour ago, Donar79 said:

Does Halsey have bonuses on certain skills?

Same as the ex-Seagull-now-Doe dudes: Better Expert Loader and better Expert Marksman. Both of which is absolutely perfect for the DM.

• Cool 1

[OSEF]
Players
6 posts
2,947 battles
17 hours ago, lafeel said:

@Chokaro Surely you can not go wrong with a classic concealement/aa build..

@lafeelBut thats just it: what constitutes a classic AA build these days? I've actually read up a small bit on the AA mechanics now and the way MAA only contributes to continuous AA damage. So in the decision between AFT vs MAA its all about deciding wether to prioritize Flak damage vs continuous damage I guess. The argument pro MAA Ive heard is that skilled CV players know how to dodge flak... On the other hand Des Moines has quite pityful continuous damage except for its midrange AA...

So going MAA would mean you fully prioritize this 1.5-4km range in your DM and it would also not synergize with upgrades such as AA Mod 1, I find there is no clear meta in this yet, but maybe I am mistaken.

Beta Tester
2,659 posts
3,562 battles
33 minutes ago, Chokaro said:

@lafeelBut thats just it: what constitutes a classic AA build these days? I've actually read up a small bit on the AA mechanics now and the way MAA only contributes to continuous AA damage. So in the decision between AFT vs MAA its all about deciding wether to prioritize Flak damage vs continuous damage I guess. The argument pro MAA Ive heard is that skilled CV players know how to dodge flak... On the other hand Des Moines has quite pityful continuous damage except for its midrange AA...

So going MAA would mean you fully prioritize this 1.5-4km range in your DM and it would also not synergize with upgrades such as AA Mod 1, I find there is no clear meta in this yet, but maybe I am mistaken.

BFT & MAA and/or AFT

[OSEF]
Players
6 posts
2,947 battles

Sorry for the necro boys.

I was off WoWs for the past 6 months and missed the AA rework. So far I've heard that one should ditch all the AA skills...  Is that correct?

In which case I might even go for full DD hunter build with RPF.. seems the only worthwhile investment

T1 Expert Loader

T2 Adrenaline Rush / Expert Marksman

T3 Superintendent / Demolition Expert

T4 Concealment Expert / RPF

cheers

Sign in to follow this