Sign in to follow this  
OddityNZ

IJN Atago Capt and Module Build - Confused

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
110 posts
6,246 battles

Hey guys,

I am going to be re-speccing my Atago and Takao IJN Cruisers but as I haven't touched them since the CV-Rework I am at a bit of a loss how to build them.

This is what I'm used to running.

Standard 10pts

PT

EM

SI

CE

Then -

BFT

DE

AR

PM

Link below to the captain builder

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,3,8,12,17,18,23,28&ship=Cruiser

Modules are:

Main Armaments Mod 1

Hydro Search Mod 1 - I cant do without this, Its a mandatory for me

AA Mod 1

Steering gears Mod 2

Concealment system Mod 1

I thinking of dropping either/both - Demo Expert and Superintendent and picking up Basics of Survivability and/or Survivability Expert for extra tankiness but I tend to use those consumables up even running prem consumables.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on this.

I usually use this build on my Zao as well as I swap the captains around.

Cheers

Oddity.

[CATS]
Players
26,697 posts
14,310 battles

When your ships live long enough to use all consumables, you should stick to Superintendent.

The extra HP are a waste of captain points in any case.

BoS is ok, but not really strong on a cruiser.

Players
8,162 posts
9,017 battles

Your build is just fine. No need to switch. extra hp and BoS don't make too much sense. As Pete says, both are kinda a waste and BoS you only use on supercruisers or cases like in a CB build for ships like Moskva.

Would switch the BFT though. EL + JoAT. The dps on Atago is poor. 3 points BFT makes it not much better.

Beta Tester
110 posts
6,246 battles

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Would the build work for the Zao as well ?

I went with BFT because of the poor standard AA to combine with the AA mod to give me some kinda protection.

However agreed it has minimal/average productivity.

How about JoAT and IFA as I tend to spam HE pretty much all the time @Cagliostro_chan ?

Players
10,017 posts
11,809 battles
53 minutes ago, OddityNZ said:

I went with BFT because of the poor standard AA to combine with the AA mod to give me some kinda protection.

How about JoAT and IFA as I tend to spam HE pretty much all the time @Cagliostro_chan ?

BFT makes more sense on Zao, though she relies on DFAA to get plane kills anyway. Also as BFT is %based, 0 multiplied by 1.1 is still 0:Smile_smile:

JoaT and IFA are okay choices if you have points to spare, regardless of what you throw. Though if you tend to avoid taking damage, quicker cooldown from JoaT might prove useless

Players
8,162 posts
9,017 battles
4 hours ago, OddityNZ said:

JoAT is always solid. EL obviously doesn't matter if you only spam HE, but if you want to play Zao properly and actually use the AP when given opportunity, EL is better than IFA. IFA is basically for people with no situational awareness and no idea how to interpret the PT counter.

Personally, this is why I use EL...

Spoiler

shot-19_03.31_17_30.07-0127.thumb.jpg.3aed706a91151630a8d0cd7c9c5671d5.jpg

87k from AP, 6k from fires, 59k from HE...

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,818 posts
5,332 battles

No offense @OddityNZ but if all you're doing is spamming HE then you're not making the best use of your Zao.

Leave the HE spam to the light cruisers, mix some AP in against poorly/unangled targets, you won't regret it.

Beta Tester
110 posts
6,246 battles

Roger that, Appreciate the feedback guys.

Agreed, Will go with EL and JoAT to benefit the Zao.

Players
8,162 posts
9,017 battles

Just as a note, while the IJN cruisers get improved HE damage and fire chance but not AP, for general usage, any ship from Furutaka and up benefits a lot from knowing when to use which type of ammo. IJN AP isn't actually that special as a shell (compared to German improved damage, USN and RN improved pen angles, Soviet penetration), but it's mostly due to the characteristics of the rest of the ship,

Furutaka overmatches same tier cruiser bows, so AP is often more used than HE.

Aoba and Myoko should note that at their tiers, RN cruisers can still be overmatched by 203 mm guns. Myoko also has a 10 gun broadside, which is absolutely devastating. Only Pensacola matches that, but Pensacola lacks the IJN accuracy. Myoko can basically slap careless Fijis around that think their cruiser is the boss of T7 by just nuking it with 10 AP shells straight through the bow.

Mogami, Atago and Ibuki have respectable concealment. At this point, these cruisers become AP threats because they combine their broadside power and accuracy with the ability to outspot many cruisers or to spot stealthier cruisers almost at the same time (e.g. Edinburgh enjoys little advantage over Atago, Neptune gets straight outspotted by Ibuki). Intercepting enemy cruisers that are unsuspecting can yield great results.

Zao adds one thing ontop of the already strong package: shell speed. Catch a target offguard and they have little time to angle or duck into cover before the shells arrive. 

Obviously, most IJN cruisers play around their improved HE damage, but the proper use of AP when given the opportunity supplements the core concept of IJN cruiser gameplay, which is alpha damage over dpm. In terms of dpm, ships like Atago or Zao pretty much suck compared to same tier competition. But the ability to deliver devastating salvos at the right moment with pinpoint accuracy is what makes these ships still strong. A lot of those citadels up there were two AP salvos on a full hp Mino, which pretty much ended that person's match participation. Two HE salvos would've been maybe 10-12k damage and nothing more. Rest were salvos on a Salem that thought it could just spam me down with its HE dpm (which it could've, had I only used HE) but presented too much broadside, as well as some Henri (I still think Zao is likely one of the most useful ships to counter Henri use in CBs with).

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this