You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beastofwar

Bearcat 3xTiT sealclubs ( lower tier ) Cruisers

42 comments in this topic

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles

Out of frustration teams usually fail to remove (AA) cruisers that block my way driving torpedo's into juicy plump BB for the bulk of my match damage/score i have come to experiment in how to remove these myself......if you want to get something done well - or at all -  you better do it yourself right ?

I have been experimenting with increasing succes - more damage, less aircraft losses - to kill Cruisers first to get to the more rewarding BB with torpedo bombers.  While (HE lower tier, AP higher tier ) divebombing Cruisers works well, there is 1 weapon type i always (mis)used on DD, that can better be deployed in other use : Tiny Tim as anti-cruiser weapon. The logic is clear ofcourse, Cruisers usually don't have much upper structure armour or much armour at all in some cases. Just like DD, but they are bigger and easier to hit with more rockets hitting.

You may flame all you want the cruisers in the screenshot were all lower tier and this would never work on high tier AA cruisers covered from bow to stern with AA. But i say it does, just costs you more lost strike fighters to accomplish. This can be worth it if your torpedo bombers then can be far more effective against now unprotected BB.

What seems to set apart such Tiny Tim carrying Bearcats seems to be high attack speed and durability. But i also have seen IJN TVIII rocket fghters to be capable of results much like this aswell. It works on even more formidable AA ships too : CV.

Forget scrawny reward enemy DD...leave them to DD and Cruisers to kill. Collaps flanks instead.

There is one factor that already proved the succesfull concept of this : my Karma has sunk each match and i am insulted in chat by multiple enemies. It obviously works to get enemies that excited.

WG9000.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles

Viable tactic, but not a new one .. in the old RTS system I often sent DBs first to (if RNG pleases) destroy AA mounts, so I'd lose less TBs in the follow-up attacks.

(remember that you had a limited supply of planes back then; on IJN CVs I didn't really care about my DBs .. basically they were bait or "necessary losses" each round :Smile_hiding:)

::: edit :::

Also, I think you don't really understand what "sealclubbing" means .. it's not when you can punish or devestate a lower tier ship; it's when a (very) good player plays low tier ships in a line where he/she already has high(er) / end tier ships, against new and unexperienced players (debatable definition what are the "low tiers" in WoWs; in my opinion it's tier 4 and below, because of their protected MM).

e.g. I can consider myself a decent player; I have multiple TX's, including the Shimakaze; if I were to play Umikaze or Isokaze with my 19-pt captain, it could be considered seal clubbing (or at least an attempt to .. looking at you *Devastation* :cap_haloween:)

• Funny 3

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles
7 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Viable tactic, but not a new one .. in the old RTS system I often sent DBs first to (if RNG pleases) destroy AA mounts, so I'd lose less TBs in the follow-up attacks.

(remember that you had a limited supply of planes back then; on IJN CVs I didn't really care about my DBs .. basically they were bait or "necessary losses" each round :Smile_hiding:)

Yeah that could have been very well common RTS tactics.  But i have not seen it done in matches after CV rework where i was present. So the hint could help at least T VIII CV players to get higher scores if they should struggle...or do something else then usual.

Removing Cruisers may not be that a bad idea for team effort either.....these are dangerous DD killers and BB burners too.....

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,144 posts
11,248 battles

Let us not forget, folks, that, despite all the pain and heartache, there has been one major positive outcome of the carrier rework - @Beastofwar's posts. Love him or hate him it would be hard to argue that he hasn't made the forum a far more entertaining place to visit.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 16

Beta Tester
2,461 posts
9,589 battles

NEWSFLASH: tiny tims are meant to be used against cruisers (and BBs).

The drawback is that they are overall worse against DDs.

Some of the smaller rockets can also penetate cruiser hulls for comparable damage btw...

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles
5 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

NEWSFLASH: tiny tims are meant to be used against cruisers (and BBs).

The drawback is that they are overall worse against DDs.

NEWSFLASH  : if that were the case, why then are so many DD players complaining they are hunted high and low and cannot even play the game ? You cannot hunt DD and destroy Cruisers at the same time, as it all needs to be done early match.

But maybe you are right.....just more CV players need to realize it, because i have NEVER seen it done in all the CV matches i was in. And because of it, suffered not being able to freely attack BB's with torpedo's as these cruisers then were the last ones surviving matches, save for CV.

• Boring 1

Players
151 posts

Burn, baby burn.

I have taken to take out or damage AA cruisers as soon as possible as well.

I usually play Implacable so I rely on setting fires rather than raw damage but the end result is the same. Rockets or carpet bombs work just as well, particularly with the larger cruisers.

Still usually only get one strike before being wiped but better that one strike rather than none.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,461 posts
9,589 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

NEWSFLASH  : if that were the case, why then are so many DD players complaining they are hunted high and low and cannot even play the game ?

But maybe you are right.....just more CV players need to realize it, because i have NEVER seen it done in all the CV matches i was in.

They are mostly hunted by the small rockets dude! Learn the difference! 

I use tiny tims on DDs too ofc, but the smaller rockets are more reliable for that. 

• Cool 3

Players
1,148 posts
245 battles

HVARs are excellent against DD's and cruisers not soo much BB's, although they fire really, really quickly so you will have to get used to how fast the rockets are initialy. I havent used tiny tims yet, but HVAR's do the job for me so far.

it also means i can use dive bombers more on BB's in general and torp bombers as well.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles

Maybe WG wants us to leave DD be by decreasing rocket effectiveness to DD overall and increase/not nerf to other soft targets like Cruisers and lightly armoured superstructures ?

I have seen rockets do quite some damage to BB superstructures aswell......but to Cruisers damage seems more consistent. Probably more rockets shatter against heavy armour on BB.

[JRM]
Players
1,551 posts
15,081 battles

TBH i didnt really like the tits

on lexi but on saipan (ie that should be midways?) tits somehow seem better?

Then again maybee I just got better at aiming...

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles
14 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

TBH i didnt really like the tits

on lexi but on saipan (ie that should be midways?) tits somehow seem better?

Then again maybee I just got better at aiming...

I found shooting the Bearcat 3 x TiT at DD is almost useless and certainly a waste of DPM because of high inaccuracy of these TiT's against small and evading ships not making hitting more likely either. Somehow the F4U Corsair 2 x TiT are more accurate fired at DD, but still not a preferred target for them as DD modules seem to soak up so much of their damage. I once shot 10 x TiT into a DD that still survived untill match end....

Waiting until the reticule is more or less covering specifically (cruiser) superstructures these 3 x TiT seem to be very damaging. They seem to do well against the huge upper sides of CV sides as well.

• Boring 1

[-AP-]
Players
962 posts
3,070 battles
On 4/17/2019 at 2:20 PM, Beastofwar said:

*edit*

*edit*

Anyhow, your threads are very entertaining to read and the highlight of my forum-time :Smile_great:

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,040 posts
9,874 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Forget scrawny reward enemy DD...

We've already explained to you multiple times... that's not how the EXP SYSTEM WORKS. 

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
52 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Maybe WG wants us to leave DD be by decreasing rocket effectiveness to DD overall and increase/not nerf to other soft targets like Cruisers and lightly armoured superstructures ?

I have seen rockets do quite some damage to BB superstructures aswell......but to Cruisers damage seems more consistent. Probably more rockets shatter against heavy armour on BB.

Point is that with HVARs you can do damage against DDs and destroy AA mounts on larger ships (agree they do negligble damage, but then again this was about destroying AA).

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles
On 4/17/2019 at 3:20 PM, thiextar said:

*edit*

Anyhow, your threads are very entertaining to read and the highlight of my forum-time :Smile_great:

The only relevant stats that could ever be dragged to this discussion is RECENT stats...since that is what this discussion is about right ? Discovering the value of NEW tactics i have not seen used before.

For your convinence they are added in my signature....anything fundamentally wrong with them ? I see an increase backing up what is say...don't you ?

• Boring 1

[-AP-]
Players
962 posts
3,070 battles
10 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

The only relevant stats that could ever be dragged to this discussion is RECENT stats...since that is what this discussion is about right ? Discovering the value of NEW tactics i have not seen used before.

For your convinence they are added in my signature....anything fundamentally wrong with them ? I see an increase backing up what is say...don't you ?

Gotcha! Weren't you against stats, believing that they don't mean anything and showing them to anyone makes you an elitist?

(Good work improving at the game tho, i thought you stood no hope when i read that old stat thread of yours)

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles

I am still against stats used to flame/shame players that have an opinion/tactic/strategy to share, asif their words mean nothing. And you  do realize my CV are still configured "wrong" with a secondary focussed build, and this does seem to not hurt performance at all do you ?

Hell freezes before you see me stat shaming/flaming other players to bar them from speaking their opinion/share their tactics. They might just have something you totally did not think of.

• Boring 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,259 posts
3,486 battles
1 hour ago, Bear_Necessities said:

We've already explained to you multiple times... that's not how the EXP SYSTEM WORKS. 

To be fair: If you're too crap to properly hit DDs, going after cruisers may net higher rewards :cap_old:

• Funny 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,004 posts
5,973 battles

Several points;

-Xp is percentage based. So doing 5k to a DD that has 10k is the equivalent of doing 50k to a BB with 100k

-Usually this means attacking the lowest health ships. However if a volley is doing 1k to a DD and 6k to a cruiser you would be better off shooting the cruiser. Or aiming better at the DD.

-Rockets are actually pretty good against cruisers - US ones in particular due to their high pen - TiTs have 68mm pen. While I wouldnt claim this is a NEW tactic, its viable.

-Killing DD is important to winning. However as long as SOMEONE is killing the DD it doesnt particularly matter who.

-Jokes aside, swapping sight stabilisation for AFT isnt the end of the world. SS is fairly negligble, and AFT is of limited benefit as well. I still wouldnt recommend brawling a DD, but spending your last 4pts on AFT isnt fatal - its not like skipping last stand on a DD

-62% WR after 87 games solo (lexington) with a decent PR is good work - congrats

Players
2,682 posts
2,941 battles
5 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Forget scrawny reward enemy DD...leave them to DD and Cruisers to kill.

Finally you are thinking the right way!!. :Smile_playing:

[-VIS-]
[-VIS-]
Players
266 posts
3,945 battles
33 minuti fa, 22cm ha scritto:

Nah, he can not even compare to SkyBuck Flying...😂

I keep reading this name, could someone explain me why he is a meme? 

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles
1 hour ago, Xevious_Red said:

Several points;

-Xp is percentage based. So doing 5k to a DD that has 10k is the equivalent of doing 50k to a BB with 100k

I do not contest this. I merely have observed having clubbed many DD for weeks they yield scrawny rewards. Probably because their modules soak so much damage, or even more probable because spotting them has them shot from under me as in a cap they are usually in gun range of allied ships too. In other words :  removing their HP is not often credited to me, but nearly always shared.

-Usually this means attacking the lowest health ships. However if a volley is doing 1k to a DD and 6k to a cruiser you would be better off shooting the cruiser. Or aiming better at the DD.

I made this post because Cruisers seem more rewarding/threatning  targets in more then one way. They block me torping BB's and they pose a treat burning down allied BB or flanking allied Cruisers with citadels....search& destroy allied DD as well...... Most even carry long range torpedo's making them important targets to take out.

I have no clue why players shoot at BB as preferred targets, and leave these Cruisers alive untill late match. I won't because they would hinder me all match long making me pay a hefty sum for lost aircraft anyway.

-Rockets are actually pretty good against cruisers - US ones in particular due to their high pen - TiTs have 68mm pen. While I wouldnt claim this is a NEW tactic, its viable.

Agree, but it is not a bad idea to shar this with other CV players is it ? Maybe it gves some breathing space to DD allowing them to die in more traditional ways, fighting over a cap with each other or cruisers....will not take much longer to die  i guess.

-Killing DD is important to winning. However as long as SOMEONE is killing the DD it doesnt particularly matter who.

Agree...but ofcourse i will keep tabs on them overflying them regularly. Among my kills in the screen i took was a DD......

-Jokes aside, swapping sight stabilisation for AFT isnt the end of the world. SS is fairly negligble, and AFT is of limited benefit as well. I still wouldnt recommend brawling a DD, but spending your last 4pts on AFT isnt fatal - its not like skipping last stand on a DD

I had two 100 K damage matches with retraining captains - shut down skills or reduced to 50 % - it mattered little.

• Boring 1