Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_RGvUdEcxWWvD

Penetration but no DMG

6 comments in this topic

Question

Players
315 posts

Just wanna confirm something since its been bothering me for a while now. Every now and then I get a penetration but with no dmg. Is this because that part of the ship has no HP or this simply a bug?

5 answers to this question

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,529 posts
13,822 battles

It most cases you have penetrated and damaged a module like a primary/secondary gun or torpedo launcher, since the module takes the damage and can be knocked out/destroyed, rather than the ships hp.

Alternatively, it can be the result of saturation. Essentially, all damage you deal to a ship is dealt to both the compartments specific hitpoint pool and to a shared "hull" hitpoint pool, and it is possible to deplete both of these pools of HP without actually sinking the target. You'll notice that when you damage the bow/stern/superstructure of ships that they go black, this means the compartment hp pool is at 0 and youll see your damage to that area reduced, the damage you are dealing is only being dealt to the shared hp pool. Once the shared pool is also at 0 you can no longer cause damage by shooting that compartment.

• Cool 1

Players
315 posts
2 hours ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

It most cases you have penetrated and damaged a module like a primary/secondary gun or torpedo launcher, since the module takes the damage and can be knocked out/destroyed, rather than the ships hp.

Alternatively, it can be the result of saturation. Essentially, all damage you deal to a ship is dealt to both the compartments specific hitpoint pool and to a shared "hull" hitpoint pool, and it is possible to deplete both of these pools of HP without actually sinking the target. You'll notice that when you damage the bow/stern/superstructure of ships that they go black, this means the compartment hp pool is at 0 and youll see your damage to that area reduced, the damage you are dealing is only being dealt to the shared hp pool. Once the shared pool is also at 0 you can no longer cause damage by shooting that compartment.

3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

That is because that part of the ship has no ship HP, but module HP.

Well all I got was a clean penetration icon, no modules destroyed whatsoever. Wouldnt it be better if they gave us more insight when these shots do happen? Like if we hit a part of the ship which has no HP, give it a different icon rather than a clear pen to prevent confusion.

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,529 posts
13,822 battles
13 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

Well all I got was a clean penetration icon, no modules destroyed whatsoever. Wouldnt it be better if they gave us more insight when these shots do happen? Like if we hit a part of the ship which has no HP, give it a different icon rather than a clear pen to prevent confusion.

Its possible to pen a module and damage it without knocking it out so yeah, that can be pretty confusing. You'll see it when firing HE at ships with a lot of AA guns as well cos all the little AA mounts end up absorbing the damage.

A module damage/knockout ribbon would probably be nice.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,566 posts
6,319 battles
15 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

Just wanna confirm something since its been bothering me for a while now. Every now and then I get a penetration but with no dmg. Is this because that part of the ship has no HP or this simply a bug?

To add to the other comments here: It is also possible to penetrate specific parts of a ships armor without doing damage.

For example, your shell can pen the torpedo belt of a battleship, but shatter/bounce off the actual hull of the ship, in this case it will show as a full pen, but deal no damage.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this