You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Is a bit of Mikasa love possible?

79 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
223 posts
5,062 battles

I know, she is tier 2, I don't know how many people have her, but sometimes I muse about what would happen if the Mikasa would get 2 extra kms on her secundaries. I personally love the ship, but as the only T2 BB, she doesn't see that many good MM. T2 seems to be torp heaven and many times shes up against T3 BBs, who outgun her with their main turrets in every way possible. So all that is left is het funfactor, which is her secundaries, but most of the time she lacks range to engage T2 DDs, T3 BBs or Cruisers from both tiers. And both her secundaries and main guns can't seem to hit the broad side of an appartement building when parked next to it. I'd like to see WG up the range of completely upgraded secundary range on Mikasa to 6 km and test that out with the Supertesters, see what it does. Any other Mikasa fans around having thoughts about the ship?

• Cool 10

[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles

Could do with more secondary range and improved secondary accuracy to offset the fact she only gets a minor bonus to accuracy from the captain skill due to being in the non-tier VIII bracket.

• Cool 6

[SM0KE]
Players
2,883 posts
6,692 battles

I suspect you'd want to be careful with buffing Mikasa: besides her being a bit hopeless being part of her charm, there might be a danger of her turning into a seal-clubber-of-choice if she was made even a bit good?

I'm not saying don't buff her (gods, she could use it!), but a lot of care would be needed is all...

• Cool 1

Players
1,156 posts
245 battles
27 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I suspect you'd want to be careful with buffing Mikasa: besides her being a bit hopeless being part of her charm, there might be a danger of her turning into a seal-clubber-of-choice if she was made even a bit good?

I'm not saying don't buff her (gods, she could use it!), but a lot of care would be needed is all...

Maybe a secondary boost to 5.5km? and/or a HP pool increase?

• Cool 3

[BODEM]
Players
223 posts
5,062 battles
25 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I very much agree to your concerns. I also thought about this as she's aT2 premium and most people buying her are probably people that played the game for a while. On the other hand it does feel a bit that people in her matchmaking seem to recognise the ship and know what to do against her.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
933 posts

The Mikasa very sadly because I love that time period of history really shouldn't be in the game, placing the Dreadnoughts at tier 3 basically screwed that class of ships in hindsight it would have been better you place the late Pre-Dreadnoughts at 3 and the first Dreadnoughts at 4 that would have given them some wiggle-room but how does that pan out higher up the lines.

One of the things I would love to see is WG considering adding an extra tier at the top that you don't directly research but after so many games played you get a ship that pre-dates the current ships that you play in a specific mode against other tier 11 ships

Players
137 posts
1,074 battles

It is a great shame the Pre-Dreadnoughts are so gimped in the game, imagine a tier rearrangement where nothing else would be outside the early period. But the Mikasa is in itself a poor introduction to battleships and needs an edge so that players can be excited with it and look to play more battleships. A lot of new players go for low tier DD's and it's no surprise, they can feel like they can make a difference every time they spawn, but with the Mikasa you are always looking at MM.

[YEEET]
Players
1,217 posts
11,879 battles

I think if you have played T7 or above , the only T1 or 2 ship you should be able to sail should be the Mikasa - give the seals a chance!! Hilariously bad - the main shells almost go in opposite directions! I rermember the story of when they tested the Tallboy bomb, the put a camera at the centre of the cross the plane was aiming at as it seemed the least likely place in miles that it would actually hit. Of course 617 hit it! If they had the accuracy of the Mikasa, it would have been completely safe!

Players
186 posts
7,722 battles
32 minutes ago, 250swb said:

But the Mikasa is in itself a poor introduction to battleships and needs an edge so that players can be excited with it and look to play more battleships.

But then again, it was never intended to be an introduction to battleships? It's an old, beautiful ship from an earlier era, and the real one still exists as a museum ship. It's something for collectors and aficionados. 

The tier 3's are the introduction to BB's, and must be carefully balanced. Mikasa is more likely to be played by an experienced player among relative newcomers, and I feel it's better to have it somewhat lacking. Otherwise it would easily become a sealclubbing favourite. 

Players
1,325 posts
7,915 battles
34 minutes ago, 250swb said:

It is a great shame the Pre-Dreadnoughts are so gimped in the game,

They'd probably be better if they let us control Mikasa's secondaries (with their full range) and automated the main guns.  I've often thought that Krasny Krym is like playing a pre-dreadnought's secondary armament, so it would be quite a fun ship to play. For the bigger Pre-Dreadnoughts, you just let the player use the main guns and large calibre secondaries..... the latter just won't fire if they're not in range!

Beta Tester
3,964 posts
14,675 battles
3 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Could do with more secondary range and improved secondary accuracy to offset the fact she only gets a minor bonus to accuracy from the captain skill due to being in the non-tier VIII bracket.

Uhm... that skill still only shoots at one target, right? So you cripple the Mikasa and her ability to go blazing through the numbers of enemy DDs, bringing death on both sides, for a teeny-weeny bit accuracy?Tsk, tsk, tsk....

Mikasa doesn't really need a buff. With a 19 pt IJN BB captain - like... Yamamoto.. - it can do quite a bit of damage, if it manages to get into range...

29 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

...  I've often thought that Krasny Krym is like playing a pre-dreadnought's secondary armament, so it would be quite a fun ship to play...

Krispy Kreme is already quite fun to play. It could get even better if she had a spotter plane... ^^

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles
  • Secondary range increased to 7km base
  • All secondary guns get 1/4 HE pen
  • Secondary Battery Reload Booster consumable added: decreases secondary battery reload and dispersion by 66% for 12 seconds; cooldown 90 (60) seconds, 2 (3) charges
  • Improved heal that repairs 3% of maximum HP (heals 33% of citadel damage, 85% of medium damage and 100% of light damage back) per second, duration 15 seconds; cooldown 120 (90) seconds, 1 (2) charges

In order to balance out these changes:

• Main battery reload increased by 2 seconds and maximum dispersion increased by 10%.
  • Fire coefficient set to tier I hull equivalent
  • Mikasa will be removed from the premium store and Armory for doubloons and reintroduced for 1905 units of the new Nippon Folded Steel currency. Players already owning the Mikasa will have its previous iteration removed and automatically reimbursed with the new version upon release

Nippon Folded Steel currency will only available by converting Steel and Coal currency at a ratio of 1:1000 (coal needed to heat the furnaces to reheat and fold Steel a thousand times).

Internal data shows this to be a balanced compromise.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
186 posts
7,722 battles
4 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Main battery reload increased by 2 seconds and maximum dispersion increased by 10%.

:Smile_great: I like how you think!

[CR-S]
Players
400 posts
19,383 battles
49 minutes ago, 250swb said:

to play more battleships.

:cap_wander:

[YEEET]
Players
1,217 posts
11,879 battles

Having a 1900s battle for the next April event would be fantastic. Playing ships with limitations as opposed to hyper weapons could allow for good gameplay. They are also some of the most extraordinary ships and all nations had a good selection - even the Russians. 

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
223 posts
5,062 battles
1 hour ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Uhm... that skill still only shoots at one target, right? So you cripple the Mikasa and her ability to go blazing through the numbers of enemy DDs, bringing death on both sides, for a teeny-weeny bit accuracy?Tsk, tsk, tsk....

Mikasa doesn't really need a buff. With a 19 pt IJN BB captain - like... Yamamoto.. - it can do quite a bit of damage, if it manages to get into range...

Krispy Kreme is already quite fun to play. It could get even better if she had a spotter plane... ^^

But the thing is, you don't really get into range because it's prolly the slowest ship by far in it's MM bracket. Plus doing dmg isn't really the issue here. It's the fun you have doing it. when the main batteries hit, they do quite a lot dmg for it's tier, but they're no fun. The secundaries are the fun part of the ship, but you can almost never use them. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
11 hours ago, triumphgt6 said:

Having a 1900s battle for the next April event would be fantastic. Playing ships with limitations as opposed to hyper weapons could allow for good gameplay. They are also some of the most extraordinary ships and all nations had a good selection - even the Russians. 

Yep, I'd suggest WG make a whole lot of premiums in T2, the pre-dreadnoughts.

A lot of people being sick of high tier MM and gameplay can then pay money to relax.

I know I would... Something like USS Oregon, at T2, would be great fun. 

With 'coal bunker armour' they'd be resistant to any kind of torps/AP but burn pretty good...

Would take a long time to put them down, so it will be entertaining for other players in T2 as well.

They'd not have to cost much (T2? 10 euro?) but I bet WG would sell a lot of them @MrConway

And they could be the subject of some 'events' too. 

Oregon_Battleship,_Willamette_River_at_Portland_(1941).jpg  HMS_Majestic_(Majestic-class_battleship).jpg

1920px-Retvizan1902DelawareRiver.jpg Schlesien_and_Schleswig-Holstein.jpg

• Cool 2

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,728 posts
9,234 battles
14 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Main battery reload increased by 2 seconds and maximum dispersion increased by 10%.

Mikasa might be the only ship in the game where lowering the sigma might actually increase the chances for you to hit, through sheer randomness. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BODEM]
Players
223 posts
5,062 battles
8 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Mikasa might be the only ship in the game where lowering the sigma might actually increase the chances for you to hit, through sheer randomness. 

Excatly what I was thinking xD a bit more dispersion and you can shoot ships on port and starbord side of the ship, with one turret :) But I wouldn't mind it if the secundaries got a few more kms range because of it. I don't need the ship to become stronger, just more fun to play with. Longer range secundaries would do that for me. They too still have quite a bad accuracy anyways.

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
957 posts
12,165 battles

Give Mikasa same secondary stats as Arkansas and it’s good. 

Players
82 posts
396 battles
19 hours ago, CptBarney said:

Maybe a secondary boost to 5.5km? and/or a HP pool increase?

Secondaries range boost would solve most Mikasa players problems.

Beta Tester
642 posts
11,579 battles

Release it as a T1 premium on WoWs Legends, problem sorted. :cap_yes:

I'd like to see the current T1 ships moved to T0 as training ships, opening up T1 and T2 for pre-dreadnought BB's and DD's. T10 blueprint only cold war CA, Meh! it'll never be in my port. But a T1 pre-dreadnought BB is something I'd play quite a lot.

• Cool 1

Players
82 posts
396 battles

To be honest, Mikasa would perform good enough at Tier 2 with secondary range buff. 5 to 6 kilometers is a must. She had 152 mm secondaries - cruisers equipped with that big guns usually can fire above 10 km.

Let's be honest: pre-dreadnought battleship in real life would smash ships like USS Chester with no problem.

• Cool 2

[BODEM]
Players
223 posts
5,062 battles
2 hours ago, HussarKaz said:

Secondaries range boost would solve most Mikasa players problems.

Agreed. Survivability is good enough. Juuuuuuust a little alteration in the Mikasa files concerning secundary range ;) 3 to 5, all it takes. 

• Cool 1