You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Uglesett

"Tier 5 carriers and above" - CVs and event design

12 comments in this topic

[KAKE]
Players
2,800 posts
6,795 battles

So, with the Fly, strike, win event petering down, we see the first objectives available only to CVs (earlier stages have had objectives that are a lot simpler in CVs but can be done with a bit of grinding in other ships). And, as with pretty much all other event objectives, they are for T5+ ships.

Now, for other ship classes, this restriction isn't that much of a deal. Even if you stick solely to free stuff, pretty much anyone will have some credit boosters that will allow them to blaze through a T4 ship in about an hour's worth of play time. So even if you don't really want to take time out of playing your T5+ ships to progress in one of the incessant events, it can be done fairly quickly if needs be.

But for CVs? Getting to the T6 takes 71k exp, which is a bit more of a grind, particularly when you consider that the T4 CVs aren't exactly damage dealing monsters that can really rack up the base exp on a regular basis. Personally I'm still stuck on the Hosho and Langley because the events are constantly driving me away from playing ships below T5. The only T6 CV I have is the Furious since the release event allowed me to skip the grind.

So how about it @MrConway and @Crysantos? What about allowing future CV only objectives to be completable with T4+ ships, since CVs are speshul and go directly to T6? Other classes are fine at T5+ because the grind is generally so quick.

• Cool 2

Players
3,604 posts

I think it would be nice to have CV's art 5 7 and 9, but if yo ah d ground out the entire line o whatever nation like have with the Brit ones, how would they insert them in the corresponding tier slots?

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,800 posts
6,795 battles
10 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

I think it would be nice to have CV's art 5 7 and 9, but if yo ah d ground out the entire line o whatever nation like have with the Brit ones, how would they insert them in the corresponding tier slots?

Changing the tier requirement for a single category of event objectives is quick and simple and solves that specific problem for now.

Creating and balancing nine new CVs is.... a bit more work.

• Cool 1

Players
10,676 posts
12,156 battles
8 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Changing the tier requirement for a single category of event objectives is quick and simple and solves that specific problem for now.

Creating and balancing nine new CVs is.... a bit more work.

Its not like you couldn't use intermediate plane configs. If tier 4 CV uses planes A, tier 6 uses B as stock and C as top, then tier 5 could use plane A as stock and B as top:Smile_smile:

[KAKE]
Players
2,800 posts
6,795 battles
27 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Its not like you couldn't use intermediate plane configs. If tier 4 CV uses planes A, tier 6 uses B as stock and C as top, then tier 5 could use plane A as stock and B as top:Smile_smile:

I'm still not going to hold my breath for that happening any time soon...

Players
10,676 posts
12,156 battles
1 minute ago, Uglesett said:

I'm still not going to hold my breath for that happening any time soon...

Rushing to release frozen assets in shape of premium CVs before class is brought into any semblance of balance was more important, after all

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
7,541 posts
16,167 battles
6 hours ago, Uglesett said:

What about allowing future CV only objectives to be completable with T4+ ships, since CVs are speshul and go directly to T6?

Agree very much with this, at least until a substantial chunk of players have a reasonable number of eligible CVs - it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented too; early seasons of Ranked weren't T10 because too few players had T10 ships at that point...

I personally think that the odd tier CVs should still be in the game too though - @Panocek's point about planes sounds eminently sensible to me. As it stands, to me anyway, the jumps between the various carrier tiers feel a bit much - compared to conventionally tiered trees...

Players
10,676 posts
12,156 battles
Just now, Verblonde said:

Agree very much with this, at least until a substantial chunk of players have a reasonable number of eligible CVs - it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented too; early seasons of Ranked weren't T10 because too few players had T10 ships at that point...

I personally think that the odd tier CVs should still be in the game too though - @Panocek's point about planes sounds eminently sensible to me. As it stands, to me anyway, the jumps between the various carrier tiers feel a bit much - compared to conventionally tiered trees...

Whole lot of noise about "top tier CV OP" would be negated by flattening plane hp pool and AA. If planes of same nation would have, lets say, around 1k hp on all tiers, but with tiers up would go amount of planes in squadron. AA DPS would remain about the same across the tiers, but amount of flak would go up. Keep in mind, larger squadron is usually less maneuverable, add to that some changes to flak placement and it might just work.

Yes, it would create lulz like Pensacola matching Des Memes in dps, though latter would have range advantage due to more modern 5" and 3" AA, as she have now. But it would be considerably closer to balance instead currently Lexington shipping on Pensacola, while having hard time against DM.

• Cool 1

Players
8,023 posts
245 battles
5 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Whole lot of noise about "top tier CV OP" would be negated by flattening plane hp pool and AA. If planes of same nation would have, lets say, around 1k hp on all tiers, but with tiers up would go amount of planes in squadron. AA DPS would remain about the same across the tiers, but amount of flak would go up. Keep in mind, larger squadron is usually less maneuverable, add to that some changes to flak placement and it might just work.

Yes, it would create lulz like Pensacola matching Des Memes in dps, though latter would have range advantage due to more modern 5" and 3" AA, as she have now. But it would be considerably closer to balance instead currently Lexington shipping on Pensacola, while having hard time against DM.

Yeah they can just increase the stats of planes by small amounts and also introduce new planes as you go up the tiers making each of the lines flavours known and more pronounced. This way you don't jump from extremity to extremity T4-T6, T8-T10.

That and miss boooooooooogue can be added back into the game. :cap_book:

• Cool 1

Players
10,676 posts
12,156 battles
2 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Yeah they can just increase the stats of planes by small amounts and also introduce new planes as you go up the tiers making each of the lines flavours known and more pronounced. This way you don't jump from extremity to extremity T4-T6, T8-T10.

That and miss boooooooooogue can be added back into the game. :cap_book:

Reality is, whatever playerbase will come up will be a waste of keyboard as WG went too far in rabbit hole of theirs and crawling back isn't an option for their pride. Also I can't imagine boss being happy about news of "CV rework fail" and dev team going back to drawing board, while unable to count all the premium CV monies.

Players
8,023 posts
245 battles
28 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Reality is, whatever playerbase will come up will be a waste of keyboard as WG went too far in rabbit hole of theirs and crawling back isn't an option for their pride. Also I can't imagine boss being happy about news of "CV rework fail" and dev team going back to drawing board, while unable to count all the premium CV monies.

Hmm guess i use brain.exe which is too much for wg.

expect me to be 'balans' in the next patch notes 0.8.3 'Barney patch'.

Oh well worth a try, it would be nice if the games industry had some regulation on the quality of products that are produced.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,541 posts
16,167 battles
23 minutes ago, Panocek said:

I'm not sure that adding the odd-tiers back would be too traumatic, as it wouldn't be an acknowledgment of the failure of the whole concept (playable planes etc.); rather, it could be spun as "aren't we splendid, we listened, and here's lots of 'new' CVs for you to muck about with?".

That said, it still won't happen: the 'missing' CVs will probably end up being future extra tree branches => $$$$ for free xping up the line etc.