You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zuihou_Kai

☆ Is it that different? Problem with Gunboat DDs! ♡

65 comments in this topic

[XTREM]
Players
3,803 posts
11,267 battles

Hello everyone! ☆

I love playing Shimakaze but people are telling me to play Gearing more and Gunboat DDs in general! ☆♡☆!

But when i try using one, Gearing or Grozo the results are.... see screenshot! ☆

I just don't understand! I can gun so well in my shima and the 8km torps work really well, sneaking around blapping everyone or just capping fast! ♡☆♡

When i try playing Gearing it always ends in desaster, maybe because i try playing it like a shima?! ☆

I don't understand how to play them, does playstyle between torp DD and gunboat differ that much? ☆

Do i need to play gunboats much different? ♡

HELP! ☆♡☆

Screenshot_20190415-114331.png

• Boring 1

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,246 battles

Can't take you seriously with those stupid symbols next to every sentence...

• Cool 21
  • Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
26,868 posts
14,396 battles

It depends on the ship.

Gearing is a bully around cap circles. Slap the weaker DD around and take their cap away. With radar and planes flying around, this has become harder and takes some experience.

Khaba, Udaloi are more like Harassers. They can fight for caps, but need other DD as spotters. Otherwise they plink away at bigger ships and sink them over time.

• Cool 3

[BOBS3]
Players
1,014 posts
19,391 battles

Don't know about Gearing, but with RN Silver DDs & Cossack and Haida, forget the long range sniping, (excepting for dumping Torps on some unsuspecting target) instead, get in close, nice and personal, and just before they detect you, as in the words of General Maximus Decimus Meridius, "unleash hell". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPzpaD4UOE

If you can't subdue them quickly, keep them spotted for somebody else.

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,570 battles

I'm not sure which DD do that but some specific ones really hurt my squadrons attacking them, most notably in the surprising wall of FLAK clouds they put up when there is no ( concealed ) AA cruiser or BB near that could be mistaken for doing that.......they almost seem "mini AA cruisers" .....the effect of dual purpose main guns that appear in high tiers ?

[BOBS3]
Players
1,014 posts
19,391 battles
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I'm not sure which DD do that but some specific ones really hurt my squadrons attacking them, most notably in the surprising wall of FLAK clouds they put up when there is no ( concealed ) AA cruiser or BB near that could be mistaken for doing that.......they almost seem "mini AA cruisers" .....the effect of dual purpose main guns that appear in high tiers ?

You can't have it all your own way :Smile_trollface:

Remember that towards the end of the WoW period a primary role for DDs was Air Defence so expect a good number to have the tools for the job.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,277 posts
6,614 battles

Can you give us the following information:

• Captain build
  • Ship build
  • Replays

Gearing has some armour which can make you get sunken really fast when used wrongly.

[77MM]
Players
410 posts
14,404 battles

Haven't played the Jap torp boats above tier 8, but compared to USN DDs their gun arcs are way flatter. You'll never be as accurate in a gearing. And with it's fast rate of fire, you're likely not paying as much attention to your situation, instead concentrating on hitting stuff every 2.5 secs. It's a lot easier to do "other stuff" with a slower rate of fire.

I used to play the gearing a lot before the stealth fire change (and wasn't that good). but these days when i play it  - i play it more like a torp boat, that can fight back, or HE spam when the opportunity presents itself. But without a heal, it's not the ship it used to be - the brit DDs have the edge.

[XTREM]
Players
3,803 posts
11,267 battles
Vor 1 Minute, LemonadeWarrior sagte:

Can you give us the following information:

• Captain build
  • Ship build
  • Replays

Gearing has some armour which can make you get sunken really fast when used wrongly.

As i get home i will provide! ☆

Captain build is typical gearing build but instead of superintended i use vigilance (i die anyway before being able to use all consumeables). ♡

Ship build is also not different from the norm. Torp reload, aa mod 1, main armament, the rest is self explainatory. ☆

Just can't make it work.

• Boring 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles

First, actual "gunboats" there is only one line, Russian one, leading to Kebabovsk. Rest are hybrids one way or another, either using their DPM molest other DDs on caps or bigger ships from the smoke. Grozo can be used in Kebab gameplay with some sort of success, but considering her perfectly serviceable concealment, its a waste of a DD unless all caps are taken and all DDs are bullied.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,592 posts
24,860 battles

I use PM-LS-BFT-CE-RPF-SI-TA as of yesterday since that captian goes to Black as well and I want the extra radar there

[NMA]
Players
1,274 posts
18,949 battles
22 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

Can't take you seriously with those stupid symbols next to every sentence...

There is a simple solution

1.jpg

• Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,803 posts
11,267 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, quickr sagte:

There is a simple solution

1.jpg

Still sees stars in title LOL! ♡

@Panocek

I was under the impression that US DDs also are gunboats. ♡

Everyone i know cslls then gunboats so sorry for the confusion! ☆

• Boring 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
Just now, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

@Panocek

Well, IJN also have guns on board, and since recent buffs they surprisingly far from bad (on high tiers at least), so they are gunboats too:cap_book:

Guessing "gunboats" for USN comes from their, well, gun DPM enabling them to stomp most destroyers up close and personal, like on cap. For open water long range jackassery, it would be hard to find WORSE guns in terms of ballistics.

That or fact USN can't stealth torp until tier 7, so you default to guns anyway.

• Cool 1

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
32 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Hello everyone! ☆

I love playing Shimakaze but people are telling me to play Gearing more and Gunboat DDs in general! ☆♡☆!

Clearly you must play what everyone else is telling you. Back when you were kid... didn't your mother tell you that you should never do what you want? Others will tell you what is fun.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,014 posts
19,391 battles
4 minutes ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

@Panocek

They ARE gunboats. And forget the trolls about Russians.

The problem with the US premium DDs (excluding Black) is with the exception of AA they are outclassed by the RN equivalents in terms of - well everything but the AA.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,803 posts
11,267 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Kenliero sagte:

Clearly you must play what everyone else is telling you. Back when you were kid... didn't your mother tell you that you should never do what you want? Others will tell you what is fun.

Well... you know how it is... ☆

Some people have issues with having Shimakaze in CB or Divisions... others dislike ☆ and ♡

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
1 minute ago, L0V3_and_PE4CE said:

Well... you know how it is... ☆

Some people have issues with having Shimakaze in CB or Divisions... others dislike ☆ and ♡

Yeah I know... Unfortunately.

Outside CB you should play what ever you think is fun. Take hints and advices about being better, but play what ever you want in randoms .

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Players
1,014 posts
19,391 battles
1 minute ago, Kenliero said:

Yeah I know... Unfortunately.

Outside CB you should play what ever you think is fun. Take hints and advices about being better, but play what ever you want in randoms .

Playing the other type(s) might help in being able to counter them in a Shima or CV or... 

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles

Engage close, keep support near you if possible, dont rely on torps and make sure to weave in and out.

Keep it 1v1 when possible.

• Cool 2

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
1 minute ago, Cambera_1 said:

Playing the other type(s) might help in being able to counter them in a Shima or CV or... 

That is true, and also why I played all lines, but if person really enjoys something, then let him. It's up to him. if(and when) he gets bored and wants to expand knowledge about mechanics then it is time to play other ones.

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Players
1,014 posts
19,391 battles
34 minutes ago, Panocek said:

First, actual "gunboats" there is only one line, Russian one, leading to Kebabovsk.

Decided having taken 55 Minotaur 6" shells to sink a Tashkent. The Russian DDs aren't Gunboats they're Heavy Cruisers!

• Funny 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
4 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Decided having taken 55 Minotaur 6" shells to sink a Tashkent. The Russian DDs aren't Gunboats they're Heavy Cruisers!

Light/Heavy refers to armament, not armor for cruiser:Smile-angry:

Kebab could be fine T5/6 CL tho.

• Funny 2

Players
2,774 posts
17,292 battles

Fletcher, Chung Mu and Gearing 10km/66 knot torps are still busted. Just use them as torpboats and enjoy!

38 minutes ago, Panocek said:

"gunboats" for USN

I remember the days when US DDs could go around beating up IJN DD noobs, permasmoke close to a bunch of BBs/CAs and burn them down. Can't imagine trying to gun down a full HP DM with a Gearing now!

Personally I'd only class the 152mm IJN DDs as 'gunboats' with the current game mechanics.