You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AirSupremacy

Saipan CV - Do you like it ?

11 comments in this topic

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,214 battles

Got the Saipan a bit earlier and did a few matches.

What I really like with Tier8 CV`s is that I can not participate in lots of 2v2 CV battles.

What do you think of the Saipan and other Tier 8 CV`s ?

image.thumb.png.5392e52a59a1b4a356b77b8670b7e410.png

Players
35 posts
2,334 battles
7 minutes ago, Gunther1611 said:

And when mm is +2?

I had a typo in the initial post, I wanted to say that I really like the 2v2 CV matchmaking with Tier8 CV`s.

Man, I wish I had Tier 10 CV`s as enemies with my Saipan Tier 8 - Playing the T10 Midway I only have a bomb touching my deck every 100-200 matches.

BTW The Saipan came out of a purchased 5 pack airdrop from the premium shop.

I directly put my T10 Capt. Halsey on it :D

Happy weekend everyone :)

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
325 posts
10,129 battles

21 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

...and that s is supposed to be the OP monster isn't it?

Wait what? Graf is like a well made but blunt blade. Everything on her is nice except you can't put out dmg.

Saipan is a monster, still getting to know Enterprise but no doubt Saipan is one of the strongest T8 premiums...

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,214 battles

I was hoping for the Graf Zeppelin and was first disappointed to get the Saipan.

IMHO The Saipan plays similar to the Lexington.

The Saipan is perfect if someone is Midway focussed and has Capt Halsey on the sortie.

Would be very happy if WG someday has T7 carriers, that would avoid having T10 AA ships in matches :D

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles

- Today my Saipan was involved in a CV to CV battle over a crucial - their team was ahead in points - match deciding cap. All the other surface ship were dead, killed the last one myself by 3 x TiT carrying fighters which appear to have become  worthless to hit DD with ( too inaccurate ) but do rediculous damage to larger, easier to hit  ships  Before arriving to slug it out with the CV ship to ship over the cap i suddenly remembered - i have this ship 2 days now - that it HAS NO SECONDARIES !! After all the forum crtitcasters peed all over me i do not need this, i did need them very urgently and they were not there. Lucky for me the other CV was a Saipan too, and it appears to have been out of aircraft as well. A known weak point of a Saipan, no shame after a  brutal high tier battle. Out of desperation i send out my last 2 fighters expecting them to be just shot by that CV's AA. But the TiT's hit home ( 5 of them ) and an unexpected  violent explosion made our side win. Would the guy have rammed their side would have won.

Conclusion : very weak construction ship that will dissapoint you when it takes damage, strong Tier X but dangrously few aircraft that hit hard below Tier X but can confront you with the inefficiency of getting deplaned in tough high tier matches. It is much like a glass cannon with limited but powerful shot.

- Graf Zeppelin : aircraft fast like rockets but they seem to be as volatile as rocket fuel as well. Explode readily when in contact with AA. Tight turns are not possible, when attempting a tight turn for exapmple to fight a DD you overfly their entire fleet getting shredded, even when full deccelerating in the turn. Require player to take into account dazzeling approach speed when torpedoing or you can not arm torpedo's in time. Divebombing is visually weird too, probably because the aircraft are not only extremely fast but also fly higher then other aircraft. What this  is good for i do not know yet. Fighters are much slower then the bombers. Ship has brutal secondaries, probably can kill DD's or CV's  without much points/modules having to be dedicated to them. Aircraft are probably best used for 1 pass "boom&zoom"" attacks without attempting to turn around, and "F" when you blitzed your way out of it's AA. That way they might survive their weak construction getting blasted by AA.

Conclusion : dissapointing as aircraft are flimpsy fodder that zap but fail to blap unless you adapt your play to fit their features.

- Enterprise : visually T7 aircraft but their damage resistance seems  T8-ish with excellent survivability like those on the Lexington. Many of them in a squadron. If your playstyle is to keep attacking untill all aircraft are detached or destroyed you can keep attacking enenmies till they are silly. ( or sinking ) large reserves with captain points/modules nearly limitless. Dive bombers use dangerous AP bombs, together with torpedo's making this CV especially dangerous to larger armoured ships. Btw : it was this CV that resisted the focussed attacks of 2 other CV right after match start lasting for minutes untill all their bombers were depleted. It has 98 AA gun barrels.....

Conclusion : Probably the strongest of the T8 CV's overall, maybe a bit visually boring ( more like tech tree CV  ) Probably is an anti-BB weapon.

Kaga : large reserve capacity ( next lauch of the same type is a full squadron )  and more aircraft in a squadron.  The divebombers use HE bombs unlike typical IJN divebombers. All aircraft seem to be exceptionally  vulnerable to damage, even more the German ones, but without the extreme speed. With captain points and module the reserves are nearly unlimited, making the aircraft almost 1 use discardable. Being laid down as a battleship it does not go down easy. Has 203 mm secondary guns that will be very usefull whenever you need to fight other CV over caps being the only ones left alive. Imagine what this would do to a Saipan.... But their slow ROF and low range make them less suitable for killing DD exceptionally well, a thing some other CV are far better at.

Conclusion : forgiving to play ( not easily deplaned ) CV but with somewhat weak aircraft that cannot withstand much damage. The battleship construction hull  can become very dangerous to deal with by weak gunned ships like DD or other CV when entering secondary range.

Players
3,290 posts
3 hours ago, Desteban said:

Wait what? Graf is like a well made but blunt blade. Everything on her is nice except you can't put out dmg.

Saipan is a monster, still getting to know Enterprise but no doubt Saipan is one of the strongest T8 premiums...

I would think due to torps and plenty of them Kaga is a solid t8 premium, certainly for me the one that earns most free xp

Players
3,290 posts
3 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

- Today my Saipan was involved in a CV to CV battle over a crucial - their team was ahead in points - match deciding cap. All the other surface ship were dead, killed the last one myself by 3 x TiT carrying fighters which appear to have become  worthless to hit DD with ( too inaccurate ) but do rediculous damage to larger, easier to hit  ships  Before arriving to slug it out with the CV ship to ship over the cap i suddenly remembered - i have this ship 2 days now - that it HAS NO SECONDARIES !! After all the forum crtitcasters peed all over me i do not need this, i did need them very urgently and they were not there. Lucky for me the other CV was a Saipan too, and it appears to have been out of aircraft as well. A known weak point of a Saipan, no shame after a  brutal high tier battle. Out of desperation i send out my last 2 fighters expecting them to be just shot by that CV's AA. But the TiT's hit home ( 5 of them ) and an unexpected  violent explosion made our side win. Would the guy have rammed their side would have won.

Conclusion : very weak construction ship that will dissapoint you when it takes damage, strong Tier X but dangrously few aircraft that hit hard below Tier X but can confront you with the inefficiency of getting deplaned in tough high tier matches. It is much like a glass cannon with limited but powerful shot.

- Graf Zeppelin : aircraft fast like rockets but they seem to be as volatile as rocket fuel as well. Explode readily when in contact with AA. Tight turns are not possible, when attempting a tight turn for exapmple to fight a DD you overfly their entire fleet getting shredded, even when full deccelerating in the turn. Require player to take into account dazzeling approach speed when torpedoing or you can not arm torpedo's in time. Divebombing is visually weird too, probably because the aircraft are not only extremely fast but also fly higher then other aircraft. What this  is good for i do not know yet. Fighters are much slower then the bombers. Ship has brutal secondaries, probably can kill DD's or CV's  without much points/modules having to be dedicated to them. Aircraft are probably best used for 1 pass "boom&zoom"" attacks without attempting to turn around, and "F" when you blitzed your way out of it's AA. That way they might survive their weak construction getting blasted by AA.

Conclusion : dissapointing as aircraft are flimpsy fodder that zap but fail to blap unless you adapt your play to fit their features.

- Enterprise : visually T7 aircraft but their damage resistance seems  T8-ish with excellent survivability like those on the Lexington. Many of them in a squadron. If your playstyle is to keep attacking untill all aircraft are detached or destroyed you can keep attacking enenmies till they are silly. ( or sinking ) large reserves with captain points/modules nearly limitless. Dive bombers use dangerous AP bombs, together with torpedo's making this CV especially dangerous to larger armoured ships. Btw : it was this CV that resisted the focussed attacks of 2 other CV right after match start lasting for minutes untill all their bombers were depleted. It has 98 AA gun barrels.....

Conclusion : Probably the strongest of the T8 CV's overall, maybe a bit visually boring ( more like tech tree CV  ) Probably is an anti-BB weapon.

Kaga : large reserve capacity ( next lauch of the same type is a full squadron )  and more aircraft in a squadron.  The divebombers use HE bombs unlike typical IJN divebombers. All aircraft seem to be exceptionally  vulnerable to damage, even more the German ones, but without the extreme speed. With captain points and module the reserves are nearly unlimited, making the aircraft almost 1 use discardable. Being laid down as a battleship it does not go down easy. Has 203 mm secondary guns that will be very usefull whenever you need to fight other CV over caps being the only ones left alive. Imagine what this would do to a Saipan.... But their slow ROF and low range make them less suitable for killing DD exceptionally well, a thing some other CV are far better at.

Conclusion : forgiving to play ( not easily deplaned ) CV but with somewhat weak aircraft that cannot withstand much damage. The battleship construction hull  can become very dangerous to deal with by weak gunned ships like DD or other CV when entering secondary range.

That is quite comprehensive rundown of them all and very useful, plus I think pretty correct, even to a total potato like me:cap_like: