You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ace42X

Premium Carriers - Best setups?

108 comments in this topic

Players
48 posts
2,220 battles
7 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

General guide? Not that I know of.

I currently use this on the Enterprise.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASA518&modules=111111&upgrades=122410&commander=PCW001&skills=2282366984&consumables=11&lang=en

I may however move away from DB health to TB health instead considering the latter are a much more flexible weapon.

Although griefing cruisers who are supposed to counter you with AP DBs is pretty funny. :Smile_trollface:

May also drop CE. Enterprise has some options as to how you set her up unlike her USN peers.

Excellent, thanks.

Are there any guides that describe how to get the most of the new carriers, in terms of technique and meta-strategy, that you (or anyone) would recommend reading / watching?

[NWP]
Players
1,197 posts
10,123 battles
Just now, Miragetank90 said:

I like how Kaga looks but idk if I like how she 'feels'. The ''infinite'' reserves are nice though xD

Though I've only played 5 games with her, let's see what happens

"Comfortable and reliable" is how I'd describe her. But, we all have different play styles. 

Players
773 posts
3,142 battles
7 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I'd wait - they're not *that* good!

Ok I think I will, what i really need to learn is hoe to DB properly, was part of the reason I sold them for the Brits carpet bombing style, since then though I have started re researching both the American and Japanese lines, so back to square one withe DB's, lol.

Now I did go and buy the Graf and the Saipan, so  should just build everything for flight, no damage controls or anything like that?

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,224 posts
14,969 battles
37 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

Are there any guides that describe how to get the most of the new carriers, in terms of technique and meta-strategy, that you (or anyone) would recommend reading / watching?

I liked this one when it was released. It is heavily outdated by now but I believe a lot of it still applies:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/180535-how-to-play-cv-rework-my-compilationguide-of-what-to-expect-and-how-to-play/

As for who to watch... Myself maybe? :)

J/k, I don't think my videos have much educational value (as they were really only uploaded for my own amusement) but if you want to take a look anyway, here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Inferno083/videos?view_as=subscriber

I'm actually not sure which CC/streamer/YTer currently plays CVs at a high level. You'll have to ask others for that. Heard the name Gaishu thrown around lots because he was the guy who achieved the hilarious 550k damage Haku game when the 4x TB drops were still topkek but that's all I know.

@Saiyko do you maybe know?

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,197 posts
10,123 battles
9 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I liked this one when it was released. It is heavily outdated by now but I believe a lot of it still applies:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/180535-how-to-play-cv-rework-my-compilationguide-of-what-to-expect-and-how-to-play/

As for who to watch... Myself maybe? :)

J/k, I don't think my videos have much educational value (as they were really only uploaded for my own amusement) but if you want to take a look anyway, here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Inferno083/videos?view_as=subscriber

I'm actually not sure which CC/streamer/YTer currently plays CVs at a high level. You'll have to ask others for that. Heard the name Gaishu thrown around lots because he was the guy who achieved the hilarious 550k damage Haku game when the 4x TB drops were still topkek but that's all I know.

@Saiyko do you maybe know?

Noster. Not because he's great. But because he show games where he makes mistakes and explains why he made them and how to do better next time. I know a lot of people think poorly of him. But he's honest about his skills and abilities. Which help teach other. You can learn from his before you make them yourself.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,943 posts
6,879 battles
42 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Now I did go and buy the Graf and the Saipan, so  should just build everything for flight, no damage controls or anything like that?

This is a question for the competent CV drivers; I'm still messing about at T4 in randoms, trying to work out how to play the things...

I'd be interested in the answer as well (I currently have mine almost entirely focused on making the planes better, with a bit of AA thrown in, but I could very easily be wrong, and I don't have GZ yet)...

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,224 posts
14,969 battles
16 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Noster.

Meh, he slammed my waifu's topkek abilities (rockets, AP bombs) as "bad" and "inferior" so I don't like him. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 4

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,060 posts
6,109 battles
24 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Gaishu is good, hes one of NA's top CV players.

However he doesnt talk much, and his strategy is a brute force one - he focusses a BB until its dead and then picks the next. He basically ignores DD. It works for him because he can effeciently deal large amounts of damage.

Stuntman is worth a watch - he goes into mechanics quite a lot

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
308 posts
9,742 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

25 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This is a question for the competent CV drivers; I'm still messing about at T4 in randoms, trying to work out how to play the things...

I'd be interested in the answer as well (I currently have mine almost entirely focused on making the planes better, with a bit of AA thrown in, but I could very easily be wrong, and I don't have GZ yet)...

No, don't bother with damage control modules, etc. Fires on your CV get put out almost instantly and floods not much longer either. 

Focus on buffing the speed and HP of the planes, reserves, aim time, etc. Concealment is a good choice for Japan because they end up with the stealthiest torp planes by a good margin. The rest not so much. My opinion.

There's no real need for AA either. I just take AA guns mod 1 in slot 3 - I don't find the extended aim time mods all that useful(arguably the same deal here, but whatever :Smile_trollface: MORE FIREWeRKS!!)

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
1,420 posts
5,593 battles

Well with everyone looking to outside Guru's for knowledge instead of thinking for themselves, i do think for myself and settled for this for now.

Reasoning is easy : took all the aircraft skills that actually make a noticable difference and put the rest in defence of the ship since that is under attack most of the time by enemy aircraft and sometimes DD.

It also enables the CV to move around more agressively in late game for instance to take caps with a good chance to survive ambushes or intercepts by heavily damaged enemies. With this you will come out on top with CV vs CV close combat as well, this can be important as using aircraft against surviving CV can deplane you and leave you powerless to kill the remaining CV(s)

Wg3000.jpg

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
308 posts
9,742 battles
47 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Well with everyone looking to outside Guru's for knowledge instead of thinking for themselves, i do think for myself and settled for this for now

People are allowed to ask for advice, this is a forum.

I'm not going to critique your build, but you really should take sight stabilization... 

I get it. You want a secondary build CV.... Fine. :Smile_bajan2:

But drop AFT or BFT+direction center for it, it's useful 100% of the time to take Sight stabilization.

Edited with a new build screenshot, but the point still stands

• Cool 1

Players
765 posts
23 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Well with everyone looking to outside Guru's for knowledge instead of thinking for themselves, i do think for myself and settled for this for now.

Reasoning is easy : took all the aircraft skills that actually make a noticable difference and put the rest in defence of the ship since that is under attack most of the time by enemy aircraft and sometimes DD.

It also enables the CV to move around more agressively in late game for instance to take caps with a good chance to survive ambushes or intercepts by heavily damaged enemies. With this you will come out on top with CV vs CV close combat as well, this can be important as using aircraft against surviving CV can deplane you and leave you powerless to kill the remaining CV(s)

Ask yourself how often are any DD going get near enough to your CV for the secondary build to be of any real use most of the time? Not that often and you're sacrificing too many planes skills you need in exchange to take BFT and AFT.

My 2 cents, but what's the point of doing a secondary build on a CV when most of the time you'll be miles away from any enemy ships to stay unspotted in your own end of the map

[BHSFL]
Players
1,420 posts
5,593 battles
17 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

I'm not going to critique your build, but you really should take sight stabilization... 

Why ?

After rework i tried it, found it to do nothing usefull, ditched it.

With last weeks free respec tried it again, found it to do nothing usefull after really trying to find use since everyone and their mother says it is mandatory, , ditched it again.....

What does it do that i need ?  5 % faster reticule closing ? This does nothing for me, i have closed reticules ! 10 % for bombers ? This does nothing for me aswell, i drop only with closed reticule.

Maybe it is ever since the nerfing "hotfixes" i learned to correct with very slight mouse movements not widening the reticules to begin with. Decellerating with torpedo planes and rocket fighters to gain more time if needed. I really begin to think this is for heavy handed fools....but maybe i'm wrong, then please enlighten me.

Players
765 posts
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Why ?

I tried it, found it to do nothing usfull, ditched it.

With last weeks free respec tried it again, found it to do nothing usefull, ditched it again.....

What does it doe that i need ?  5 % faster reticule closing ? This does nothing ! 10 % for bombers ? This does nothing for me aswell.

I found the same thing also and ditched using sight stabilizer skill for concealment skill instead.

Didn't really see that much difference using the sight stabilizer skill or not. Not enough to warrant it being a "must have" skill

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
1,420 posts
5,593 battles
23 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Ask yourself how often are any DD going get near enough to your CV for the secondary build to be of any real use most of the time? Not that often and you're sacrificing too many planes skills you need in exchange to take BFT and AFT.

My 2 cents, but what's the point of doing a secondary build on a CV when most of the time you'll be miles away from any enemy ships to stay unspotted in your own end of the map

1/3 of the CV try to sink my CV with aircraft. For that alone those points are exactly right destributed, i did not lose many CV to air attack but it has happend. And when you have to relocate but still take some BB/cruiser shots before you can escape you better were not be left with a few HP due to previous air attacks.....

Because these points have double purpose strenghtening secondary batteries too they are even more worth it for me, as it increases the chance you can get away from attacking DD and fight on. And it can be put to use in more aggresive late match capping that can be very hazardous for other low HP ships that fail under relentless enemy air attacks. And can be put to even more agressive things....

Players
765 posts

Well yeah, suppose you have a point in that BFT and AFT will also boost AA defence, along with the secondary guns. I re-looked at the skills you took and it isn't as bad as I was first thinking to be honest.

See you still managed to take the best ones for planes, armour, boost plane HP and increase fire chance for HE bombs and rockets

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
308 posts
9,742 battles
17 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Maybe it is ever since the nerfing "hotfixes" i learned to correct with very slight mouse movements not widening the reticules to begin with. Decellerating with torpedo planes and rocket fighters to gain more time if needed. I really begin to think this is for heavy handed fools....but maybe i'm wrong, then please enlighten me.

No offence, but the 'heavy handed fools' are much better than you, so they might be on to something. :Smile_bajan2:

[BHSFL]
Players
1,420 posts
5,593 battles
Just now, Miragetank90 said:

No offence, but the 'heavy handed fools' are much better than you, so they might be on to something. :Smile_bajan2:

Is that a fact ? You are going to present me with facts not contaminated by use of tier X CV results that i do not play right ?

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
308 posts
9,742 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Is that a fact ? You are going to present me with facts not contaminated by use of tier X CV results that i do not play right ?

I think it is, but anyway

You are free to have your build, no one is forcing to accept any other, I just think that Sight stabilization is a must have

I guess that makes me a heavy handed fool :Smile_trollface:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,224 posts
14,969 battles
13 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

1/3 of the CV try to sink my CV with aircraft. For that alone those points are exactly right destributed.

In terms of AA regardless of BFT/AFT unless your enemy is dumb enough to fly into flak one attack will always get through, then everything, including the bailing attack wing, gets slaughtered by fighters and AA. If your attacker is smart he will limit losses by shortening the squad to one attack because that's all he gets anyway. If your enemy is dumb enough to fly into flak then he'll die before he reaches you again no matter if you take BFT/AFT or not.

So in this aspect taking BFT and/or AFT makes literally no difference. Funny for someone so hung up on noticeable differences.

There is really only one big advantage to Sight Stabilization. It allows you to attack more accurately earlier especially with DBs, making you spend less time in AA. As such it is actually a survivability skill.

Same with Engine Cooling and Improved Engine Boost. Due to the very nature of AA DPS speed translates to survivability.

Likewise for IJN TBs concealment translates to survivability as AA cannot engage them unless spotted. And concealment generally can be used to pick better positions on the map to increase your plane cycling time which in turn translates to higher DPM.

So now you've conceded a ton of plane survivability for something that you will only ever use if you're dumb enough to not pay attention. Something actually skilled CV players will never have to face because they possess basic minimap awareness.

Such effectiveness. Much wow.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
1,420 posts
5,593 battles
18 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

So now you've conceded a ton of plane survivability for something that you will only ever use if you're dumb enough to not pay attention. Something actually skilled CV players will never have to face because they possess basic minimap awareness.

Such effectiveness. Much wow.

But i do not have problems being deplaned......or even losing too many credits for lost aircraft.  Not since the last rigorous nerfs anymore.

So i don't need more aircraft survivability. Not even in Tier IX-X matches as i won't fly into dense AA formations anyway.

I need CV survivability, as a considerable amount of players do come to kill the CV itself. I don't blame them, because if it works it is the ultimate effective way to remove enemy aircraft. I have the experience some CV's stock AA does let too many damage come through. With it intensified nothing comes through.

And you keep ignoring the more agressive late match uses of being a moving no fly zone, when mostly or only enemy CV remain that can still kill all of your team when they are badly shot up. There are many uses for that benefitting your team greatly without even having to consider using the secondaries.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,224 posts
14,969 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

I need CV survivability, as a considerable amount of players do come to kill the CV itself.

Which you wouldn't need if you were smart enough to pay attention to the flow of battle as well as the info the game freely gives you.

I guess you're not though. Fair enough.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
308 posts
9,742 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I need CV survivability, as a considerable amount of players do come to kill the CV itself. I don't blame them, because if it works it is the ultimate effective way to remove enemy aircraft.

They can come and try to kill you all you want, if you are paying even a modicum of attention to your position no one will be able to do it.

Thus focusing on the platform instead of the planes is moot. 

Players
4,931 posts
6,070 battles

For Graf Zeppelin I went with this:

Spoiler

shot-19_04.13_04_06.33-0328.thumb.jpg.c89b9ba36f65b9c9ca0eb048bfbde997.jpg

Also showing why I think that if you want less memes, go with CE instead of AFT. Given the planes are silly fast, you can get by with sitting far away from the action for most of the match, but obviously cutting down plane times and general survivability buff is likely more useful than buffing secondary range to 9.45 km. If you think the concealment's manageable and the secondaries worthless, guess you can go with SE and Last Gasp just to get the most out of your planes.

[AAO]
Players
2,006 posts
10,210 battles
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

do you maybe know? 

Not really tbh.

Like yesterday I wanted to see some of those premium cvs in action, I just went to twitch and watched the icons to see if any of them had planes on them :D (and I don't think anyone of them was particularly highly skilled)

Gaishu & notser & whoever on NA might be decent enough, but the NA meta (and yes I have an account there) is way too different to make anyone here learn anything from them. On EU I don't know anyone except for strangers123, but he only streams VERY occasionaly.

That's why I have been hoping for you, or someone like @Maaseru or @Alelos to start streaming, or putting more vids on yt :)