You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ace42X

Premium Carriers - Best setups?

108 comments in this topic

Players
55 posts

The wiki pages for all aircraft carriers in the game seem to be a mess of information relating to mismatched versions of the game (RTS info still present mixed up with rework info).

I was wondering if there's a reliable up-to-date source of information for putting together equipment and CO skills for the reworked carriers – especially the four premiums currently on sale, but also the Brit non-premium line (Hermes and Furious in particular) that was recently on early access.

I am guessing that "just go for the carrier-specific skills and upgrades, duh!" is order of the day, although with both Saipan and Enterprise occupying the same tier, I am curious if there is a big distinction between how you'd run them.  I'm guessing enterprise as the AP dive bombers as prime candidate for buffing, maybe Torp-bombers on Saipan?

Anyone got any ideas?

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles

I'd be interested in this too - I suspect I'll be embracing my inner whale when I get home...

• Funny 2

[CLTS]
Players
51 posts
2,637 battles

I had Kaga just purchased GZ.... I spend way too much on wows.... and had saipan but she got murdered by the nerfhammer so I refund her... For Kaga I have an 11 point Captain, and specced into plane skills except for skill 4 that I chose concealment expert... But as of the last free respec she I use as all the other CVs I have... All plane specific on 1-2-3 tiers only I dont chose the 4th tier plane perk instead go for more HP/tier and -10% AA damage on tier 3 + final squad full boost on T1 next to the faster home flight (dunno the names by heart so, sorry if it was hard to understand :D) (most of my CVs other than midway have lvl10 captains ...  As for ship upgrades I go for plane stuff, and rockets get the +2 sec targeting time and DBs the extra health 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,532 posts
15,267 battles

General guide? Not that I know of.

I currently use this on the Enterprise.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASA518&modules=111111&upgrades=122410&commander=PCW001&skills=2282366984&consumables=11&lang=en

I may however move away from DB health to TB health instead considering the latter are a much more flexible weapon.

Although griefing cruisers who are supposed to counter you with AP DBs is pretty funny. :Smile_trollface:

May also drop CE. Enterprise has some options as to how you set her up unlike her USN peers.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,621 posts
10,158 battles
38 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Although griefing cruisers who are supposed to counter you with AP DBs is pretty funny. :Smile_trollface:

Against bigger cruisers they are indeed really strong, if the cruisers allow you to align your long crosshair. 

But I simply couldn't hit a small Leander with these things, even when perfectly aligned and at the deepest point of the dive... 

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,294 posts
11,742 battles

For premium CVs you wanna go..

Preventative Maintenance

Expert Marksman

Adrenaline Rush

Vigilance

Basics of Survivability

Manual Fire Control for Secondaries

AFT.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about...

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 6

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles
4 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

For premium CVs you wanna go..

Preventative Maintenance

Expert Marksman

Adrenaline Rush

Vigilance

Basics of Survivability

Manual Fire Control for Secondaries

AFT.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about...

:Smile_trollface:

Excellent! I have a Bismarck captain that sounds ideal for GZ...!

• Funny 3

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,532 posts
15,267 battles
16 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

if the cruisers allow you to align your long crosshair. 

It's more of a question of whether you can get yourself to a drop position since maneuvering in Enterprise DBs doesn't have any effect on accuracy whatsoever.

So technically speaking if you time your approach right you can even start your attack from a near 90° angle and maneuver in for a drop. Pulling that off successfully requires some experience however.

16 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

But I simply couldn't hit a small Leander with these things, even when perfectly aligned and at the deepest point of the dive... 

I just use RFs against those or cross drop with torps.

It's much easier and reliable than praying to RNG.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,863 posts
6,059 battles

I do not see any use of 10 % less detectability or faster closing reticlues : you cannot be intercepted ( indirectly with fighter consumbales maybe but escapable  ) and when you aim your attack well before beginning it and use slight mouse movements to correct in the beginning of the attack run there is no need for faster closing reticules.

AA is always worth spending points on for a CV , because many players still try to sink you with aircraft. Since these points synergize with secondaries you get the power to sink DD with your ship too.

And as it happens to be these premiums have better AA and secondaries worth even more upgrading. It will put a smile from ear to ear on your face with every butchered enemy squadron or DD failing and sinking due to your CV's guns.

It will allow you to cap late game even when these caps are defended by "missing" enemy DD or when capping allies get whacked by the enemy CV's.... You can be the only one still able to cap when enemy CV's have survived at all as you will be virtually immune to air attack, a potential capping no fly zone..

Yet some critisize this as "waste" of points or even bleet out this weakens the team. But i have turned losing matches into winning ones this way. They really have no clue of true potential of CV as weapons.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,078 posts
6,133 battles
5 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I do not see any use of 10 % less detectability

-Easier to manouver hull without becoming spotted

-Can take more aggressive positions with hull without being spotted

-Kaga TB with both conceal bonuses can spot minotaur/worc without being detected

-Kaga TB with both conceal bonuses get spotted at 6.1 and have 5km torps - they can do long drops and circle out while being exposed to a very minimal amount of flak

-Smaller detection means more prescise for hunting DD - you know they're within 8.1 rather than 10

-Can manouver torp bombers undetected to attack from unexpected angle

5 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

And as it happens to be these premiums have better AA and secondaries worth even more upgrading.

This doesn't apply to all of them. Saipan for example has no secondaries, and the AA is 3.5km which means a kaga, shok or hak can attack it with TB without ever coming into AA range. Rocket planes can also boost through the AA for minimal damage.

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,532 posts
15,267 battles
17 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

But i have turned losing matches into winning ones this way.

And, pray tell, how many matches did you lose because you decided to run a meme build?

If you lose 10 matches because you didn't take something vital but win 3 because you were able to use your secondaries to some effect that's a hilariously bad trade. Not that you'll admit it ofc.

I'm not even going to bother to address how hilariously wrong you are on the other accounts.

• Cool 3

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,863 posts
6,059 battles
21 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

-Easier to manouver hull without becoming spotted

-Can take more aggressive positions with hull without being spotted

-Kaga TB with both conceal bonuses can spot minotaur/worc without being detected

-Kaga TB with both conceal bonuses get spotted at 6.1 and have 5km torps - they can do long drops and circle out while being exposed to a very minimal amount of flak

-Smaller detection means more prescise for hunting DD - you know they're within 8.1 rather than 10

-Can manouver torp bombers undetected to attack from unexpected angle

- CV are so big you can see the silly things from space, what are you talking about ???? 10 % wont matter at all. Being defenceless will matter much more.

- Aircraft are fast enough ( accel boost ) to outmaneouvre ships coming in at any angle you force upon them.

- I want DD to hunt me......you know how that will end for the DD with points in AA/secondaries instead of 10 %  "concealment" that will take just a few secs to overcome.

- You can not sneak up to ships undetected, it is only 10 % less detectibility. Not 50 %. If it were to stop long range FLAK from firing, it would have been nerfed ages ago.

20 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

And, pray tell, how many matches did you lose because you decided to run a meme build?

If you lose 10 matches because you didn't skill something vital but win 3 because you were able to use your secondaries to some effect that's a hilariously bad trade. Not that you'll admit it ofc.

I'm not even going to bother to address how hilariously wrong you are on the other accounts.

And how many matches did i lose because i did not go by a "brainless" build ?

You will be able to prove nothing with your precious stats either, mine concerning CV  are going up all the time. Recent, 7 days and 21 days are all Unicum or better....

You are wrong.

• Bad 2

Players
1,108 posts
5,843 battles
Vor 12 Minuten, Beastofwar sagte:

You are wrong

El2aZeR is an amazing CV player. His build and cpt keep him to be the king of t8 Enterprise and outstanding in Midway.

He is many things but not wrong.

You just have different "ideas" which as time will prove and experience won't work out in the long run for you in high tier matches. I had to experience that myself because i experimented for quite some time before starting the better setups.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,078 posts
6,133 battles
7 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

- CV are so big you can see the silly things from space, what are you talking about ???? 10 % wont matter at all.

- Aircraft are fast enough ( accel boost ) to outmaneouvre ships coming in at any angle you force upon them.

- I want DD to hunt me......you know how that will end for the DD with points in AA/secondaries instead of "concealment""

- You can not sneak up to ships undetected, it is only 10 % less detectibility. Not 50 %.

-Stacked with conceal module its 19%

-If you use all your boost trying force an angle then you dont have any for when you actually need it (during run and exiting)

-The point is about finding DD with planes. I'm aware you're obsessed with DD heading towards your hull, but everyone else tries finding DD while they're around caps to help the team

-Kaga TB with conceal go from 7.5 to 6.1 this means the diameter of their detection goes from 15km to 12.2 this extra 2.8km allows you. This allows you to get past picket ships to attack the target you want without them having prior warning

• Cool 1

Players
5,442 posts
8,137 battles
7 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

- CV are so big you can see the silly things from space, what are you talking about ???? 10 % wont matter at all.

To quote certain youtuber about Battle off Samar: play the game "guess the carrier" :Smile_trollface:

cv.jpg

Considering they are often bigger than battleships, its not bad of a concealment. And with exception of tier 6, slowest one clocks 33kts, so unless you have angry Kebab in pursuit or other high speed cruiser, keeping opposition at arms length is an option.

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,863 posts
6,059 battles
7 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

-If you use all your boost trying force an angle then you dont have any for when you actually need it (during run and exiting)

You do love to run don't you ?

That is the key difference i think....i do not run. I keep attacking untill all my aircraft have detached or are destroyed.

[DPT]
Players
292 posts
8,457 battles

@Beastofwar For the longest time I actually took you serious.

I do feel stupid asking that only now but might you be an actual forum toll?

I am really doubting my sanity now for not doubting you any sooner...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,532 posts
15,267 battles
41 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

That was the question I was asking you, you know?

41 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You will be able to prove nothing with your precious stats either

Except actually I can.

You see, this is stagnation:

1Ecn8id.png

This is improvement:

fVGSfZq.png

You may guess which one of these is yours.

And before you say it, surface ships stats are practically irrelevant since neither of us has played a significant amount in them in that time span.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,078 posts
6,133 battles
13 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You do love to run don't you ?

That is the key difference i think....i do not run.

The run I'm refering to is the attack run.

Perhaps it doesn't translate particularly well - You use the boost as the reticle is closing to rapidly close the distance, minimising the time spent in AA. The rest is used to boost out the other side so you can get out of the short/mid range AA (ship dependent, whichever is the most dangerous), allowing you to turn for a second attack without taking losses

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,863 posts
6,059 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

That was the question I was asking you, you know?

Except actually I can.

You see, this is stagnation:

1Ecn8id.png

This is improvement:

fVGSfZq.png

You may guess which one of these is yours.

Overall WIN RATES ? So in what way are these NOT influenced by using other ships of all tiers and classes ???? How is this tied to CV use or what i claim ????

Hard fail on relevant facts.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,294 posts
11,742 battles
55 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You will be able to prove nothing with your precious stats either, mine concerning CV  are going up all the time. Recent, 7 days and 21 days are all Unicum or better....

You are wrong.

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe we have found David Dunning and Justin Kruger's original test subject.

• Funny 6

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles
21 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

How is this tied to CV use or what i claim ????

I think I'll be listening to the person with a 79.22% WR solo in CVs (at time of writing), if it's all the same to you.

(says he, disregarding his previous advice about trolls)

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,532 posts
15,267 battles
28 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Hard fail on relevant facts.

Reading is difficult, isn't it?

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,863 posts
6,059 battles
46 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I think I'll be listening to the person with a 79.22% WR solo in CVs (at time of writing), if it's all the same to you.

(says he, disregarding his previous advice about trolls)

Again and again this referring to STATS as an all-indicating source what a player is. Again and again ignoring these stats can be influenced in many ways.

They CAN indicate someone is a good player. But they can also indicate one merely observes how stats are measured, and stack odds in such a way they will go up.

The behaviour of what look like shaming cultists or something is such they cannot even ben skilled players. Because truely good players would not need to behave that way at all. The mere fact referring to stats or peacocking them indicates insecurity, or posing themselves better then they truely are.

And obvioulsy blocking others from thinking of using given oppertunities offered by skill trees, modules and ship abilities. Because WG put thse choices up there because they are "worthless" right ? To fool the fools chosing them...riiiiiight....