Sign in to follow this  
pigofschweden

Random Battle is the primary game mode, but why?

10 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
5,287 battles

First off I´d like to say that Wows is a neat game, never have I spent so much money on a free game, heck I´ve never spent this much money on any other game, ever!

However, it is strange to me that randoms are the primary mode of playing this game! Clan battles are for the ones who have been playing for a while and can pull out a fully kitted tier X Stalingrad with a high level captain (and have mates that can do the same. Co-op is uninteresting for most people who want a competitive experience and the ranked seasons are few and far in between.

Many other competitive games have ranked matches as their primary mode and the player gets matched up with players at their level, ranking up and then get to face harder competition. 
My suspiscion here, as to why WG have decided to make ranked/clan battles such a rarity/not for the vast amount of players, is that is more lucrative for them having us play randoms. In ranked/clan battles

people tend to stick to one ship that they are really familiar with and maybe not be so eager to grind/spend cash to try out more ships? Or is the player base just too small for such diversity and the fear is that queing up would take too long?

Whatever the case is I think it is sad that WG forces you to play a 12v12 game with no real tactics and with people of all skill levels, experience and own missions rather than make for a great competive environment for everyone, like clan battles are. I´ve just tried clan matches for the first time and I am loving the 7v7 setup without the CVs, which truly makes for a tactical match that requires true teamwork and communication.
I would love to see that option on all tiers for players of all skills and AT ALL TIME. 

pig, out.

[CATS]
Players
26,849 posts
14,391 battles
  • Nobody forces you
  • If you do not use tactics, you are doing it wrong
  • Clan Battles 24/7 on all Tiers would not work as you lack teams
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Players
5 posts
5,287 battles

Nobody forces me to do what? Play the game? Sure. I still hold an opinion on how I would like for the game to develop.

I´m not saying there are no tactics in randoms but you have to have experienced, with 11k battles, that not everyone is in the game to win. Many (including myself) are there sometimes just to grind xp or complete a mission. Therefore it is hard to make a real team tactic to work. I´m not saying there should be teams like there are in clan battles. It could be that you just join a "random" team consisting of players at your skill level and tier and you would have the common goal which would be to advance in the rankings for that tier. Like you would in present ranked battles with the addition of tier selection. And preferrably the teams would comprise of 7, 8 ships as 12 v 12 tend to get a little too massive and complicated.

• Cool 1

Players
2,093 posts
13,447 battles
49 minutes ago, pigofschweden said:

Nobody forces me to do what? Play the game? Sure. I still hold an opinion on how I would like for the game to develop.

I´m not saying there are no tactics in randoms but you have to have experienced, with 11k battles, that not everyone is in the game to win. Many (including myself) are there sometimes just to grind xp or complete a mission. Therefore it is hard to make a real team tactic to work. I´m not saying there should be teams like there are in clan battles. It could be that you just join a "random" team consisting of players at your skill level and tier and you would have the common goal which would be to advance in the rankings for that tier. Like you would in present ranked battles with the addition of tier selection. And preferrably the teams would comprise of 7, 8 ships as 12 v 12 tend to get a little too massive and complicated.

To small player base to divide players by skill,  if you want to have a bit of teamwork experience in randoms play in 3 man division with your clan mates with voice communication. and try to get other teammates involved (I know it can be frustrating).  Rankeds here are not competitive, it is a just a toxic grind mostly and teams are randoms like in .... randoms where a few tries to win and rest tries to save a star.

[CW-EU]
Players
469 posts
4,859 battles

On that note, there's a raft (no pun intended) of elitist who constantly moan about potato's who perhaps deserve to purely face equally skilled players...

So, perhaps super-unicums coould only ever face super-unicums. Is that what you're suggesting?

:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1

Players
466 posts
9,989 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, ColonelPete said:
  • Nobody forces you
  • If you do not use tactics, you are doing it wrong
  • Clan Battles 24/7 on all Tiers would not work as you lack teams

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
26,849 posts
14,391 battles
6 hours ago, Scipio_Africanus1829 said:

Looks like some people are overwhelmed by the written language. I guess that is what the youtube generation looks like.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,277 posts
6,588 battles

I do kinda understand your frustration and I'd suggest you to join a clan. It is the easiest way to form a 3 man division with which you should be able to win most battles. 

Besides Clan Battles there are some additional tournaments you can participate in as well. The most famous ones are King of the Seas and RQL ShipStorm Tournament. Ranked Battles in WoWS is not comparable with Ranked in other games. In WoWS it is just a grind fest / sanity test.

[NMA]
Players
1,274 posts
18,936 battles

Randoms are not default game mode, CO OP is :Smile_smile:

As much as I love(ed) clan battles and think it's the only fun, exciting and really challenging game mode in WOWS, playing it 24/7, people would get bored of it really fast.

[ADRIA]
Players
286 posts
12,542 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 11:44 PM, pigofschweden said:

I still hold an opinion on how I would like for the game to develop.

How you would like and how WG would like is obviously very different. The majority of players do not play Clan Wars and will stay like that since the majority of this playerbase is casual.

You can also apply that to any f2p game on the market. If you are really into competitive game modes try playing tournaments like Shipstorm and King of the Seas, and many others.

The target audience for this game is casual and older, I presume, and you would be surprised how much players are there fully devoted into the Coop gamemode. :Smile-_tongue:

Sign in to follow this