ZYIDOC

Montana and some idea

23 comments in this topic

[TDCX]
[TDCX]
Players
12 posts
764 battles

30,000 more xp to get Montana my first 10 ship and  what country is good to lvl up battleship after that i get my 10  Montana ship and i like battleships so been looking on Japanese - german and maybe you ppl got some idea what is best to lvl up ,

im going after ships can hit hard and good  amor

Players
2,290 posts
20,686 battles

Dude, if you have ground a line all the way up to Tier XI and past, you are not a newcomer any more.

You should have come across all other nations' BBs on the way up there. Don't you at least have a passing familiarity to give you an idea how they are different?

The first thing to do might be to have a look at the Wiki. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Battleships

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
Players
1,718 posts
13,852 battles

You can't go wrong with either Yamato or Kurfurst, but if you plan to have a competitive ship for clan battles or tournaments at tier 10 sooner rather than later, you should go for Yamato. 

[-AP-]
Players
2,573 posts
6,330 battles

Realisticly you should go back to playing tier 1 to 6 for a while to try and learn the basics of the game. It takes a long time to learn this game, and its not a good idea to rush to high tier until you have mastered the basics. All that will happen is that you will get stomped by more experienced players.

Id start with up on all the game mechanics on the wiki:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Torpedoes

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Other_Mechanics

Also id recommend watching youtubers like flamu, he gives great advice and explains why and what is happening at any given situation:

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheesec4t/videos

Also, if you are interested, here is a site where you can check your stats:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/528517617,Abrakeydabra/?

• Cool 3

Players
317 posts
7,687 battles

514 battles and almost at tier 10, as Thiextar says you’ve probably headed up the tiers a bit too fast.  I’m on my mobile so can’t check but I’ll hazard a guess you’ve mostly played your BB’s.  There’s nothing wrong with having a favourite class but it can be advantageous to play all other types in the game to understand how to counter them when in a BB.  Te more games you get in them the more you’ll understand how players in cruisers and DD’s think and act, which can only be a good thing in your BB.  It will give you the knowledge of how to deal with those ships on the enemy team and how to support those on you’re own team.  

As for your question of which line to go up, either IJN or Frenchie baguettes imo. Take your time though with each ship and don’t skip any as they all help you learn.

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
On 4/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, thiextar said:

All that will happen is that you will get stomped by more experienced players.

He has already been stomped in every other a tier.....another will make no difference. Yet another player oblivious to the word 'learn'.

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,857 battles
1 hour ago, bushwacker001 said:

He has already been stomped in every other a tier.....another will make no difference. Yet another player oblivious to the word 'learn'.

500 battles isn't much. At least i was still completely rubbish at that point.

Give the man a chance to learn.

Tho getting to T10 that fast is a clear mistake in my book as well.

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
3 hours ago, rnat said:

500 battles isn't much. At least i was still completely rubbish at that point.

Give the man a chance to learn.

Tho getting to T10 that fast is a clear mistake in my book as well.

slamming straight into T10 asap and being fodder means he has missed the chance to learn. 

• Cool 1

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, Miragetank90 said:

You can't go wrong with either Yamato or Kurfurst, but if you plan to have a competitive ship for clan battles or tournaments at tier 10 sooner rather than later, you should go for Yamato. 

You can go wrong with Kurfürst. If I didn't already have other ships and didn't care about the credits and time invested, Kurfürst is the first ship of any tier I'd trade in right now. Some people like it, but it is undeniably not a good ship and if you don't care about your secondaries, there's almost no point in getting a Kurfürst when you have a Montana or could get a Conqueror.

And if you plan to do CB, get a cruiser. There is 1 BB spot on a CB lineup. There'll always be someone with a T10 BB. Being the one dude that has to take the spot because they have no cruiser is kind of terrible. Even a DD-only player with a competitive DD is likely more appreciated from a pure CB perspective. Having a cruiser meanwhile allows you to be fitted in much more flexibly. Also, Montana or Yamato, doesn't matter, both are viable for CB. In a clan that insists on a specific BB, you likely won't be in the lineup if you don't have experience in some cruisers anyway.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,718 posts
13,852 battles
6 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

You can go wrong with Kurfürst. If I didn't already have other ships and didn't care about the credits and time invested, Kurfürst is the first ship of any tier I'd trade in right now. Some people like it, but it is undeniably not a good ship and if you don't care about your secondaries, there's almost no point in getting a Kurfürst when you have a Montana or could get a Conqueror.

Agree to disagree with all your opinions on Kurfurst.

However as I already stated, this is not a good ship to take to competitive and Yamato, Republique or Montana are much more competitive choices.

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
3 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

However as I already stated, this is not a good ship to take to competitive and Yamato, Republique or Montana are much more competitive choices.

As I already stated, if competitive was a priority, Henri, Des Moines, Moskva should be next, not another BB. He already has Montana.

[XTREM]
Players
1,718 posts
13,852 battles
1 minute ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

As I already stated, if competitive was a priority, Henri, Des Moines, Moskva should be next, not another BB. He already has Montana.

On 4/11/2019 at 5:04 AM, Abrakeydabra said:

30,000 more xp to get Montana my first 10 ship and  what country is good to lvl up battleship after that i get my 10  Montana ship and i like battleships so been looking on Japanese - german and maybe you ppl got some idea what is best to lvl up ,

He wants a battleship recommendation, not cruiser. He never said competitive was a priority, I just pointed out that between Japanese and german if he wanted a competitive BB then he should consider Yama over Kurfurst. 

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
34 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

He wants a battleship recommendation, not cruiser. He never said competitive was a priority, I just pointed out that between Japanese and german if he wanted a competitive BB then he should consider Yama over Kurfurst. 

Yeah, but at that point it doesn't matter whether it's good for CB or not. If you got Montana, getting another BB gives you about as much more use in CB as getting a CV would.

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,322 battles

I always tell new players to go slow. Play all the T1s, then the T2s, T3s and so on. You will not only learn the controls and the mechanics of the game but also how the different classes work and think.

But the most  important lesson will be the stats of all the ships so when you face them in battle you will know their speed, armor, turret rotation, reload, torp-range, detection range. gun range and all that info that helps you to make the right decision. Perhaps not the numbers but you will know stuff like "That one reloads fast" or "He has slow turrets".

I remember a game where a Fuso on our team was going backward because there was a DD 8 km away from him. He felt like an idiot when we told him that that DD only had 4 km torps.

I once deleted a IJN DD sitting in smoke bc he didn't know that german DDs had hydro.

A guy once told me to go scout in my "Kahba" bc he didn't know that I got spotted 2 km before any DD on the other team.

The guy that told me that he'll "catch up" with me in his Tirpitz. He was so proud that he could do 30 kts and didn't know what to say when I told him that I was doing 48 kts in my russian DD.

The guy that accused me of cheating with "teleporting torps" bc he didn't know that the F3 torps does 76 kts.

And I've lost count off how many times people "forget" what ship has or hasn't got torps.

Yes you can read this on the wiki but the best way is to use the ships yourself. Nothing beats real experience! Take it from someone that has played 280 different ships. Another plus with this tactic is that the game lasts longer and becomes less monotonous when you have more ships to play.

Personally I consider anyone with a T10 and less than 1 500 games under his belt as a guy that is in over his head.

Good luck! :-)

WG Staff
2,392 posts
4,270 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 3:04 AM, Abrakeydabra said:

It's hard for me to give you a proper advice regarding BBs - I would pick IJN or KM if that helps.

What I really want to say is to back up this post:

On 4/11/2019 at 9:23 AM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Dude, if you have ground a line all the way up to Tier XI and past, you are not a newcomer any more.

You should have come across all other nations' BBs on the way up there. Don't you at least have a passing familiarity to give you an idea how they are different?

The first thing to do might be to have a look at the Wiki. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Battleships

And add something to it. 
If I were you I would totally give a try to other classes. Give a chance to cruisers, destroyers or CV. Don't stick with one. Expanding your portfolio of ships will allow you to react better against them when you meet them in the battle. Even If you don't like them. 

• Cool 2

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,857 battles
1 hour ago, toucha_toucha said:

I remember a game where a Fuso on our team was going backward because there was a DD 8 km away from him. He felt like an idiot when we told him that that DD only had 4 km torps. 

1) off topic

2) If that DD isn't in some deep shi*t (several ships trying and able to hit him and/or low hp) an 8km-yolo against a bow-in BB is perfectly doable in a soviet DD, especially at low- and mid tiers.

Players
98 posts
1,247 battles
On 4/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Death_dk said:

Sorry to repeat what others have said, but you appear to have gone up the tiers rather too fast; don't worry though, you're hardly the first (and, if we're honest, most of us on here probably did to a greater or lesser extent at some point)!

The 'point' of WOWS is not to get as many T10s as possible; at the risk of sounding a bit 'jade eggs and wellness', the journey is at least as important as the destination. Besides which, there are a lot of mid tier ships that are great fun to play in their own right, so making the acquisition of needed experience (as opposed to mere xp) an actively entertaining process. As a rule of thumb, avoid free-xping new ships; use your free xp to unlock modules instead (stock ships against real opponents can be a torrid experience), and possibly boost your captains a bit.

I would also agree with the suggestion to play things besides BBs (at time of writing, 86% of your random battles have been in BBs, and the rest cruisers); besides increasing the variety of gameplay, so delaying boredom, it'll give you a much better handle on what each class is trying to do, and from that how to counter them.

Another advantage of going up the tiers at a more nonchalant pace is that you'll have the time to develop more good captains; high point captains make a substantial positive difference, and most of your opponents at higher tiers will have them. My feeling is that from around T5 (so, when you first get +2 MM), 10 points is the minimum requirement, with some +/- variation across different ships. Captains are perhaps the most underestimated aspect of the game for a lot of people, so are worth taking some time over.

As to your original question (and please forgive a little wandering away from the specifics), it's worth taking a moment to contemplate what you're going to be doing with the ships; with that in mind, here are some things to think about, in terms of the various game modes:

• Coop: frankly, you can play pretty much anything in Coop, and still win (unless you play at weird hours when you may easily be the only non-bot on your side)! If you don't have spare free xp available, Coop is a good way to unlock essential modules on stock ships. So, any ship is fine for this mode.
  • Randoms: the bread and butter mode of the game; for this mode, you want to progress at a rate that your acquired skills (and captains) can keep up with. Depending on where you set your targets, only you know when you're ready to move up a tier; Win Rate (WR) will give you a sense of how you're getting on, but beware of small data-sets (e.g. on this account I managed to tank my WR from some sort of unicum level to 'good' with relatively few games played with insufficient attention over the weekend, and my 'real' WR across all games ever, is a bit above 48% with a sensibly-sized data-set). Ultimately though, this mode doesn't really call for specific ships either - you can play anything and do well.
  • Operations: this is usually the first mode you encounter that requires specific ships (T6 or T7 in the current rotation, but more specific if the 'missing' scenarios come back); so, think about good ships for Ops: a heal can be nice for some of them (so, BBs, or some cruisers); do you need high speed (DDs?); will there be 'healing circles' available (reducing the need for ship-based heals); will you have to deal with heavily armoured opponents (PEF might be a bad choice, for one), and so on. Bear in mind, ships go on cool-down after playing (which requires silver to unlock), so you may want several ships available if you want to play multiple games in sequence.
  • Ranked: tier-specific, may be lowish (Sprint) or high tier (one Sprint so far, and regular seasons); may or may not allow CVs. If CVs will be present, do you want good AA, or to rely on team-mates? Crucially, you need a ship that you can do well in consistently, such that you can string multiple wins in a row together (as that's how you gain ranks, and so rewards). If you can do well in Ranked, the rewards are good; if you can't, the mode is utterly frustrating. So, do you want to play Ranked in whatever ship you're aiming for? Keep an eye on the forum, as the meta often changes in Ranked between seasons (we get CVs for the next one, for example; also, there will apparently be rentals available next season, which may change things - see next), so changing 'ideal' ships.
  • Clan Wars: tier specific (currently T10, and no CVs). Although you technically only need to get to T8 for this, as then you can unlock rentals; rentals are nice in that you can play T10s that you haven't earned yet, but they can't take camo (putting you at a disadvantage), and you are clearly tagged as a rental, so the enemy may target you as easy xp, and a simple way to get guns out of the game (most players in rentals tend to be below average or inexperienced players). As someone mentioned earlier, each CW team only gets one BB slot too, and that should ideally go to your clan's best BB player, rather than someone for whom it's their only available T10; if you aren't really good yet, you gimp your team if your only T10 is a BB. Bear in mind that clan battles have a different meta to randoms etc. (the main difference is that everyone should, in theory, be working closely together) so making the ideal CW ship choice for each player possibly different to that for other modes (loadout too e.g. Gearing's LU is arguably a better pick for CW than for regular randoms).

So, after all that long (and tedious?) verbiage, what should you actually do. Well, whatever you want to really - it's supposed to be fun, after all! That said, if your version of fun involves doing at least tolerably well at the game, I might suggest the following:

• Pick at least one line of each class that isn't BBs (possibly excluding CVs, but it is useful to know how they play, if only to counter them), and play them to at least 'Ops eligible' level, say, some suggestions follow:
  • For DDs, probably the US line, and maybe KM ('good enough' AA, and they'll give you a good sense of both torp and gun usage).
  • For cruisers, it's hard to see past the US (pure guns from T6 and up; the CL line mainly needs IFHE captains, so minimum 14 points - be aware; good AA; floaty gun arcs), and IJN (get torps, weaker AA, but good all-rounders). Crucially, avoid the RN line until you've fully learned to cruiser (AP only, and spectacularly fragile). The KM are worth a look too, especially if you need to start them off for your next BB line (see next).
  • For CVs (if you aren't going to give them a miss), I might suggest the US; regardless of their merits, CVs branch off from the DD line, and you probably want to pick the US DDs first, so from a pragmatic point of view, the US CVs are easiest to get to.
  • As to future BB lines, the IJN is the other 'classic' line, and it looks like you're already making progress there, so carry on, but don't rush (see earlier notes on the subject). The KM are good fun, but are much more about brawling (turtleback armour, and appalling long range accuracy); you can easily step across if doing the KM cruiser line. If you're doing the 'Honor/Glory' thing, you also have a fighting chance of getting early access to one or more of the (largely fictitious, if that matters) Russian BBs; it's early days yet, but these seem to be more about closer range action as well, but they don't have turtlebacks, making good positioning even more important; if you get the T6/T7, that's an instant Ops candidate right there (BTW the Russian unique captains from the 'Armory' seem well suited to the BBs).

I would suggest your key aims should be:

• Get better - you'll have more fun if you aren't getting regularly tonked.
  • Play more classes (it'll help with aim 1).
  • Have a wider range of ships available for Ops, and competitive modes (for the latter, more than one class too).
  • Keep asking questions on here - lots of people are happy to help, and will probably answer more briefly than I have(!).
  • Don't rush up the tiers!

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

OP your nickname is predictive for sure, I wonder if somehow or other you think you win the game by getting tier X ships as fast as possible?

There is no way to 'win' WoWs, nobody has ever won it, nobody ever will. So it's a better idea to create your own challenge within the game, like getting better at playing it, helping the team, being as proud as you can of playing as well as you can. But if you want an answer I would say try the IJN line next, but overall you have an intrinsic philosophical problem to solve.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
On 4/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Death_dk said:

Your stats clearly show your lack of experience.

It's kind of expected, with so few battles. It took me a lot more battles to improve and get better, and I'm still improving today, with way more battles than you.

If you really are interested in only another battleship line, if I were you I would play them all up to tier 5, then grind them all to tier 6, and so on. At the point you reach tier 8 with all, you would have more experience, could decide on your own what line suits you the best to finish the grind to tier 10, and you would not be a hindrance to your team anymore.

I'm sure you will find some lines exciting, personnaly I found the Japanese and French lines really excellent.

However, like said earlier by some people, I'd suggest you try other classes. By broadening your horizon, you'll become better at Battleships, just by understanding the other ships.

Regards

Players
20 posts
1,819 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 2:04 AM, Death_dk said:

For a Battleship recommendation, I would go with Yamato. Can deal so much damage, even against bow tanking Battleships, The Kurfurst is a secondary monster from what I keep seeing from it. I have neither ships, but the Yamato is something I'm gonna go get soon.

But as people have said, might be best to run down a cruiser line or a Destroyer line. I'd recommend the Minotaur line. Great light cruiser, the lines mostly fun, especially after Tier 7.

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
53 minutes ago, Deltateam70 said:

But as people have said, might be best to run down a cruiser line or a Destroyer line. I'd recommend the Minotaur line. Great light cruiser, the lines mostly fun, especially after Tier 7.

Recommending RN CL to a person that never played any higher tier cruiser or DD is kind of silly, given T8-10 DDs have literally better armour than RN CLs (19 mm plating instead of 16 mm, with RN CLs getting better plating on the citadel which the DD does not have). also, Leander is great fun too.

Players
20 posts
1,819 battles
1 minute ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Recommending RN CL to a person that never played any higher tier cruiser or DD is kind of silly, given T8-10 DDs have literally better armour than RN CLs (19 mm plating instead of 16 mm, with RN CLs getting better plating on the citadel which the DD does not have). also, Leander is great fun too.

Well, sometimes you learn quickly when you know your ship has more chance of being deleted, makes you play a bit more... Careful. to be honest, I learned a lot from my line down the RN CL line, main reason why I recommended it. Leander was alright, but Fiji is where I started really enjoying the line and didn't really care if I lost or won that battle. The ship was a lot of fun.I also recommended the Yamato line to him too. Two lines which could teach him a few things if he has the patience to learn. One being a tough line to play as a new player, but hella rewarding if played right.

Players
8,192 posts
9,087 battles
2 minutes ago, Deltateam70 said:

Well, sometimes you learn quickly when you know your ship has more chance of being deleted, makes you play a bit more... Careful. to be honest, I learned a lot from my line down the RN CL line, main reason why I recommended it. Leander was alright, but Fiji is where I started really enjoying the line and didn't really care if I lost or won that battle. The ship was a lot of fun.I also recommended the Yamato line to him too. Two lines which could teach him a few things if he has the patience to learn. One being a tough line to play as a new player, but hella rewarding if played right.

Or you learn the ropes in a normal cruiser line and excel with RN CLs when you got the basics down instead of getting deleted every second game and having to suffer through the low tiers. Not to mention, Minotaur is a ship you will not bring to CB most of the time and even in ranked you are better off with other ships.

Also, you might say Fiji was great fun and you didn't care if you lost or won, but others do care if they lose or win and personally, while Fiji is a good ship, I for example found it actually boring and it's one of my least liked mid-to-high tier RN CLs, after Neptune. Such things change depending on person. I'd recommend differentiating between your personal preferences and objective characteristics of ships. Saying this is a good line becauseit was fun so you didn't care about performance is not the greatest of advice.

Sign in to follow this