Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hannibalurg

Z-52 or Gearing? Or wait for French DDs.

13 comments in this topic

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts

I have an issue finding the next line to grind. I started on the Russian, but i felt like they aren't what i am really looking forward to.

Currently i have Shimakaze, Harugumo, Daring and Yueyang. At this point i prefer the Yueyang and the Harugumo.

The Shimakaze, currently the worst of my DDs. Due to the high amount of radars allready present in the game, the recent increase in CVs just make it extremely risky to play her either way.

The Daring, i was under the understanding that it would be a DD hunter, but i having worse concealment, slow shells and not having the ability to chase anything other than other DDs with no propulsion if kinda of just set up somewhere and make a kill zone, since chasing or hunting anything feel kinda pointless.

Yueyang i am quite satisfied witht he current state of Yueyang as long as i avoid other DDs and focus on CA/BBs, feels more like a sneaky ninja with pretty good torps.

Harugumo, the bread an butter. Everyone likes a BBQ.

Since i kinda don't want to continue with the RU DD's i am torn between the Z and the Gearing. Or should i maybe wait for the french DDs instead?

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,599 battles

Oh get them both lad and save yourself the unnecessary agony of choice.:Smile_Default: They are both excellent DD's. :cap_like:

BUT, if you enjoy Yueyang the best then the American line is probably the most comfortable choice for you, as many Pan-Asians are basically just US DD clones with different torps and other minor gimmickry changes. Similar playstyle - You already played the copies, now try the original !!! :cap_cool:

[-SOG-]
Players
404 posts
8,856 battles

If you like concealment then the USN is the best choice, get the Gearing legendary upgrade and you will hsve even better concealment as well as better AA in the current meta with CVs compared to the Z-52 which relies on smoke and hydro vs other DDs. Both are competent but if you like Pan-Asian over Royal Navy I say USN over Kriegsmarine.

[BABBY]
Players
700 posts
10,445 battles
16 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

if you dont like the Russkis I dont see how you'd ever like the SpeedBaguettes...

My first thought was exactly this. I don't play DDs in randoms so you may ignore what i'll say but these are my observances:

-Z52 gained alot from bb ap nerf since she used to eat full pens regularly. On the other hand lost alot with flooding changes, because weak fast reloading torps relied on permafloods more than alpha

-Gearing still best allrounder imo, made even better with the bbap nerf

If I had to pick best dd tier for tier though, it would be Lightning

Players
2,918 posts
16,636 battles
55 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

The Daring, i was under the understanding that it would be a DD hunter, but i having worse concealment, slow shells and not having the ability to chase anything other than other DDs with no propulsion....

How you can like the YY and not the daring is beyond me, unless it is the DWT or radar. They both share the slow shell arcs (darings are slightly better in fact). Gearing has the same arcs.

Maybe it is the torps, or maybe it is a playstyle adaptation.

Anyhow to answer your question about the gearing: You shouldn't like the gearing if you dont like daring, but you should like gearing if you like YY. Get it? 

If you like stealthy boats with good guns, Grozovoi should be down you alley. 

Gearing has long range torps and plays much like a shima but can take more risks due to better guns and AA. Probably the more viable of the 2.

Z52 is a hydro/smoke one-trick and has trouble because of CVs and tons of radars. Torps are kinda meh, but reload fast.

Z52 has the worst stats on the server with gearing and shima coming in #3 and #2 from the bottom. French baguettes will probably do better than that, but maybe not your playstyle.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,924 posts
19,751 battles
26 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

If I had to pick best dd tier for tier though, it would be Lightning

*laughs in Clemson* :Smile_trollface:

29 minutes ago, affie said:

If you like concealment then the USN is the best choice, get the Gearing legendary upgrade and you will hsve even better concealment as well as better AA

Who else actually uses the legendary mod and what are your experiences with it?

Personally I never thought it was worth the DPM loss.

AA is kind of a meh factor since DD AA in general has been murdered with the rework. Your chances to survive an air strike without significant damage now relies more on how small you are and well, Gearing's... proportions are rather well known for not fulfilling that requirement.

[KAKE]
Players
2,577 posts
6,213 battles
5 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

AA is kind of a meh factor since DD AA in general has been murdered with the rework. Your chances to survive an air strike without significant damage now relies more on how small you are and well, Gearing's... proportions are rather well known for not fulfilling that requirement.

• Funny 2

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts
4 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

How you can like the YY and not the daring is beyond me. They have the same slow shell arcs (darings are slightly better in fact). Gearing has the same arcs.

I'd say it's a playstyle problem, not a problem with the ship. You'll not like the gearing if you dont like daring, but you should like gearing if you like YY. Get it? 

If you like stealthy boats with good guns, Grozovoi should be down you alley.

Gearing has long range torps, Z52 has hydro/smoke one-trick. Torps are kinda meh though.

I find the YY well suited as torpedoboat. Deepwater Torps are very underestimated. The torps allow you to behave very aggresive, but if you want to rely on your guns, you would need to play like a Daring i agree.

The overwhelming majority of the respons seems to be gearing, so il go get her first. And maybe i'l change my mind on the RUs.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,611 posts
13,890 battles

With the current meta, I tend to think the best T10 DD is Gearing, if only because of the excellent (for a DD) DefAA-reinforced AA, and the long-ranged torps, which come in very handy if you're facing a lot of radar.

Z-52 looks distinctly promising - its AA can hold its own against CVs (relatively speaking) - but I haven't had mine long enough to have a fully informed opinion.

Last I heard, the French DDs don't have smoke; this may well be a deal-breaker for some people...?

• Cool 1

Players
2,918 posts
16,636 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Who else actually uses the legendary mod and what are your experiences with it?

Personally I never thought it was worth the DPM loss.

I like the legendary mod since it strikes a balance between avoiding the newer 6 km concealment gunboats and hunting the stealthy torp boats.

Gearing for me was always more of a torpedo boat (i tried full gun reload builds, but ultimately it is down to the supporting ships if you live or die, not gearings own guns)

If you are affraid of the Dmp loss, pick BFT instead of torp reload on the captain and it is only a 5% loss in dpm.

• Cool 2

Players
2,918 posts
16,636 battles
3 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

I find the YY well suited as torpedoboat. Deepwater Torps are very underestimated. The torps allow you to behave very aggresive, but if you want to rely on your guns, you would need to play like a Daring i agree.

The overwhelming majority of the respons seems to be gearing, so il go get her first. And maybe i'l change my mind on the RUs.

Makes sense. In that case I think Gearing suits you better, although I still consider it a poor mans YY.

The grind is fairly enjoyable these days too (thanks to lower tier buffs) with a highlight at the T9 fletcher and T8 benson.

I have perma camos for both gearing and YY and they were my most played dds untill the YY sledge nerf. I still play YY from time to time, while I dont play gearing any longer (kitakaze and daring instead)

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts
On 4/10/2019 at 2:38 PM, affie said:

If you like concealment then the USN is the best choice, get the Gearing legendary upgrade and you will hsve even better concealment as well as better AA in the current meta with CVs compared to the Z-52 which relies on smoke and hydro vs other DDs. Both are competent but if you like Pan-Asian over Royal Navy I say USN over Kriegsmarine.

I bit my teeth and grinded out the RU DD line for the Khaba, and i must say. The experience changes alot through 8-9-10. I like the Khaba, only 5 games so far, but its fun.

Sign in to follow this