Zigiran

What cruiser line to play?

16 comments in this topic

[_FK_]
Players
228 posts
5,825 battles

I've been playing a few battles in my Omaha (150+) and I'm loving this ship!

However, I also unlocked both T6 USA cruisers and I find them... meh.

The Dallas suddenly fires ballistic ammo? And the Pensacola gets a turret speed that makes a BB laugh.

So I'm kinda wondering: what cruiser lines plays a lot like the Omaha? The things I like are:

- Good turning

- Nice gun arcs

- Nice gun turning (although, to be fair, the Omaha simply has guns all over the ship, so switching fire to another side is extremly easy)

I don't need an island hugger and I don't mind the ship being fragile (who needs armour when you can dodge shells?)

I like the fact that in my Omaha I can bow in to a BB, being a small target thus taking hardly any damage (unless I get citadelled through the bow) and bring 6 guns to bear.

And when I get close I can turn between 2 BB salvo's and sail away, still being a small target and still bringing 6 guns on target (B-hull, never took the C-hull).

As far as I read so far, it seems that:

- USA: they fail for me at T6, but maybe better later?

- RU: they can't turn fast I think?

- IJN: Not sure, but I haven't played many battles with them. And what's up with the Aobe? It's a Pensacola with half the guns?

- UK: Haven't played them, would they be right for me?

- French: not sure what to expect from them

- German: Also not sure if they are what I'm looking for

Players
10,041 posts
11,833 battles
1 hour ago, Zigiran said:

I've been playing a few battles in my Omaha (150+) and I'm loving this ship!

However, I also unlocked both T6 USA cruisers and I find them... meh.

The Dallas suddenly fires ballistic ammo? And the Pensacola gets a turret speed that makes a BB laugh.

So I'm kinda wondering: what cruiser lines plays a lot like the Omaha? The things I like are:

- Good turning

- Nice gun arcs

- Nice gun turning (although, to be fair, the Omaha simply has guns all over the ship, so switching fire to another side is extremly easy)

I don't need an island hugger and I don't mind the ship being fragile (who needs armour when you can dodge shells?)

I like the fact that in my Omaha I can bow in to a BB, being a small target thus taking hardly any damage (unless I get citadelled through the bow) and bring 6 guns to bear.

And when I get close I can turn between 2 BB salvo's and sail away, still being a small target and still bringing 6 guns on target (B-hull, never took the C-hull).

- IJN: Not sure, but I haven't played many battles with them. And what's up with the Aobe? It's a Pensacola with half the guns?

Pensacola is a monster with her 10gun broadside of American Piercing, she is also VERY maneuverable with only drawback being turret traverse and glass for armor. New Orleans and further don't have issues with turret traverse, though with tiers up average engagement distance increases, so ballistics can leave something to be desired, especially from Baltimore onwards, which gets Superheavy American Piercing.

Dallas is mediocre, but after her is Helena. Absolute monster - good maneuverability, although not that fast, just like other USN cruisers past Omaha, good turret traverse and firing arcs, FIFTEEN quick loading guns to bury with ordnance. Ballistics are... bad tho, same guns as Dallas and they are used all the way till the end. Cleveland is also fine ship, even if T8 MM can be bumpy at times.

RU cruisers are fast and have excellent ballistics, but turning 404 not found, they sail straight at Berlin

IJN are fast and quite stealthy, though turret traverse and ship turning radius can be found wanting. They rely mostly on hit and run, firing salvo or two only to disappear later, their torpedo complement is brutal, although from tier 6 onwards launchers are facing backwards, limiting their offensive potential, but making them prime choice for kiting enemies. AA is... 404 not found

UK have gimmicky ship handling - obscene acceleration from standstill, they don't lose speed on turns, but abysmal deacceleration, which makes moves like reverse-then-forward embarrassingly slow, but have USN CL like ballistics. And cruiser line start getting in shape from Leander onwards. They have smoke and heal consumables, but are limited to AP shells only. Granted, very improved AP, but still AP shells.

Frenchsters, especially from tier 8 onwards are excellent pick for open water gunboating - form tier 6 they have Engine Boost consumable and Main Battery Reload Booster, former to temporarily improve speed and acceleration, latter doubles rate of fire for short time. Shame tier 6 and 7 are straight up THE slowest ships and even with Boost they can't keep up with RU/IJN, ballistics mildly better than US/IJN 

Germans are long range fire support, meh ship handling, until tier 8 made of glass. AP have above average damage but lacking penetration especially at range due to high initial shell velocity but lightweight shells, HE have pitful damage but increased penetration. Ballistics are so-so on CLs and very decent on CA.

For open water jackassery maybe try Russian... destroyers? They might have icon of a DD, but they are very light cruisers in gameplay, relying on speed, WSAD hax and touch of russian bias to lob 130mm shells with superb ballistics.

Though due to CV reworks going and staying, you might want to pick ships with actual AA, something Russian gunboats lacks I'm afraid, while being "DD" constantly visible due to shooting they will get all sorts of flying attention

• Cool 3

Players
8,199 posts
9,087 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

UK have gimmicky ship handling - obscene acceleration from standstill, they don't lose speed on turns, but abysmal deacceleration, which makes moves like reverse-then-forward embarrassingly slow, but have USN CL like ballistics. And cruiser line start getting in shape from Leander onwards. They have smoke and heal consumables, but are limited to AP shells only. Granted, very improved AP, but still AP shells.

Might want to point out, this line has no armour and the upper tiers have partially less armour than DDs. Their citadel is the only thing that has armour worth mentioning, but is huge and when hit they tend to just die.

1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Germans are long range fire support, meh ship handling, until tier 8 made of glass.

Yorck has a 25 mm midsection. That's pretty good for T7. Only Myoko is better armoured.

1 hour ago, Zigiran said:

USA: Get used to the ballistics, then they are solid. If the shell speed is a complete deal breaker though, go with other lines.

RU: They got most things down for you with good ballistics and decent turret traverse, but yes, the ships need a bit long for turns and are easy to blap if you catch their side. Not bad ships, but more long range.

IJN: If you hate Pensacola, these ships might just not be for you. Their turret traverse is pretty poor, they turn somewhat decent, but not really great there either, ballistics are nice. They are heavy cruisers mostly, like Pensacola and they rely like Pensacola on good damage per salvo, not damage per minute. Aoba might look like having only half the guns, but gets 11 s reload and torps. Also, a lot better armour.

UK: Yes, they got all you asked for. But no armour and thus can be quite hard to play. also, they only fire AP.

French: Imo, they fulfill your criteria the most, being decent in all three areas.

Germans: These are also pretty ok. Like the French, for most of the line, they are rather standard with little too special.

In general, I'd consider German or French decent lines for beginners.

Players
10,041 posts
11,833 battles
1 minute ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Might want to point out, this line has no armour and the upper tiers have partially less armour than DDs. Their citadel is the only thing that has armour worth mentioning, but is huge and when hit they tend to just die.

Considering OP is having fun in Omaha of all ships, concept of paper armor+exposed citadel seems to be familiar to him already

Players
8,199 posts
9,087 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Considering OP is having fun in Omaha of all ships, concept of paper armor+exposed citadel seems to be familiar to him already

Given Omaha seems to be the his first T5 cruiser, I think he might just not be aware what armour is and that it might matter at later tiers. Like, T5 is the first time you actually have meaningful armour on a cruiser with the Furutaka.

Players
10,041 posts
11,833 battles
1 minute ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Given Omaha seems to be the his first T5 cruiser, I think he might just not be aware what armour is and that it might matter at later tiers. Like, T5 is the first time you actually have meaningful armour on a cruiser with the Furutaka.

Still, armor on a cruiser is something you don't want to put too much faith in. There are examples of kek like Baltimore/Hipper vs 380mm armed battleships (or any other non UK T8 vs 350mm guns), but those are rather rare encounters

Players
8,199 posts
9,087 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Still, armor on a cruiser is something you don't want to put too much faith in. There are examples of kek like Baltimore/Hipper vs 380mm armed battleships (or any other non UK T8 vs 350mm guns), but those are rather rare encounters

I mean, sure, but it is hard to deny that there is a good bit of difference between most cruisers and RN, especially once you reach T9 or T10. Something like a Seattle doesn't have great armour, but it can actually tank shells from all other cruisers if properly angled and will often just be overpenned. Meanwhile Neptune can be wrecked by a handful of cruisers even, regardless of angle and when caught broadside you mostly eat citadels.

This also translates to T6 and T7, which unlike all other cruisers at their tier still get overmatched by 203 mm guns. Of course if you really want the full Omaha experience till T10, including the garbage armour, then by all means, go with RN. But it should be pointed out that by T5 certain cruisers get armour that matters and by T10, you better are aware of what your armour can or cannot hold off. Unless you want to cultivate the next cruiser potato that gets devstruck at T10 in their Des Moines because they weren't aware that they can't tank Montana/Kurfürst shells like a Hindenburg.

[_FK_]
Players
228 posts
5,825 battles

Thanks for all the replies!

17 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Not sure if it was my first, but I do have the Omaha, Dallas, Pensacola, Koningsberg, Furataka and the Aobe.

17 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

But it should be pointed out that by T5 certain cruisers get armour that matters and by T10, you better are aware of what your armour can or cannot hold off. Unless you want to cultivate the next cruiser potato that gets devstruck at T10 in their Des Moines because they weren't aware that they can't tank Montana/Kurfürst shells like a Hindenburg.

I did watch the captains academy video from IChaseGaming about angling. Did that when I was in the T3 St. Louis... dear lord does that thing becomes tanky when you learn how to angle. Makes you feel invulnerable... untill you get the T4 Phoenix and then the Omaha... you learn quickly to go from bouncing shells to evading shells.

So it seems I'm down to german, UK or French. So I watched some video's:

- German: I watched a video about the Núrnberg:  shell arcs seems a bit more floaty then I like (not Dallas bad, but still) and the turrets don't turn that fast. So... meh, probably not going for this

- French: I watched a video about the La Galissonnière and the Algérie: seems like nice ships. The Henri has a big detection radius, but it will be a while before I get there.

- UK: I watched a video about the Leander: nice ship, nice shell arcs, nice turret speed. All good. But in the video, Flamu was complaining about 2 things. 1: Your damage gets really low when somebody angles. 2: It doesn't like uptiering, since it lacks HE to spam fires (which deal % based damage and helps you burn down higher tier ships). But this video was 2 years old, I'm not sure if things have changed for the British ships?

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,212 posts
9,269 battles

Go for the frenchies. They have good range and shell velocity, they have fast rotating turrets, they are extremely fast and they also get main battery reload booster at top tiers. Their armor is meh, but not terrible

Players
10,041 posts
11,833 battles
2 hours ago, Zigiran said:

- German: I watched a video about the Núrnberg:  shell arcs seems a bit more floaty then I like (not Dallas bad, but still) and the turrets don't turn that fast. So... meh, probably not going for this

- French: I watched a video about the La Galissonnière and the Algérie: seems like nice ships. The Henri has a big detection radius, but it will be a while before I get there.

- UK: I watched a video about the Leander: nice ship, nice shell arcs, nice turret speed. All good. But in the video, Flamu was complaining about 2 things. 1: Your damage gets really low when somebody angles. 2: It doesn't like uptiering, since it lacks HE to spam fires (which deal % based damage and helps you burn down higher tier ships). But this video was 2 years old, I'm not sure if things have changed for the British ships?

Depends which Nurnberg footage you've watched as IIRC some years ago she got turret traverse buff, sitting now at rather comfortable 7.6degrees/sec or 23.7s/180deg, as its portrayed in game. And then rear turrets have 360 turret traverse.

Henri IV is BIG ship and then she is the most suitable for open water with double rudder upgrades and Engine Boost roaring, clocking up to 44kts in straights. Quite a feat for a cruiser

Only thing that changed for UK cruisers is introduction of smoke firing penalty, so when smoked and firing, anyone closer than +-5km will spot you. Anyone familiar with concept of angling can greatly mitigate effectiveness of Tea Cruisers.

[-AP-]
Players
2,575 posts
6,333 battles
21 hours ago, Zigiran said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Not sure if it was my first, but I do have the Omaha, Dallas, Pensacola, Koningsberg, Furataka and the Aobe.

I did watch the captains academy video from IChaseGaming about angling. Did that when I was in the T3 St. Louis... dear lord does that thing becomes tanky when you learn how to angle. Makes you feel invulnerable... untill you get the T4 Phoenix and then the Omaha... you learn quickly to go from bouncing shells to evading shells.

So it seems I'm down to german, UK or French. So I watched some video's:

Also what you do have to realise is that there is not a single high tier ship that plays like the omaha.

The omaha is a low tier ship which is designed to be forgiving and easy to play. Meanwhile all high tier ships require pre-planning and good positioning to work at all, you cant just run around in circles spamming he at everything as you can in the omaha, so id recommend to not get bogged down with stats like turret traverse and such, because if you like the omahas playstyle, that means you like kiting, so you should be looking for a kiting ship.

The two best kiting ships at t10 are zao and henry.

The zao is a mid-long range stealthy kiting ship with highly accurate high damage he salvos. It has some very good 12km torpedoes that can be great in certain situations. Other than that, the zao is a great firestarter.

Meanwhile the henry is a long range super-fast kiting ship that has no camo at all, with very high dpm guns which can get boosted further with its reload booster. The henry is very good at dodging and is nigh impossible to hit properly at long ranges with speed boost active. Oh and it can mount ifhe to farm those 50mm bows.

You wont find anything at high tiers which resembles the omahas palystyle, as said playstyle is a symptom of being a low tier ship, but the zao and henry is probably the closest you can get.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
228 posts
5,825 battles

Thanks for the info everybody, I decided to go for the French cruiser line.