natswright

Clan Battles questions for newbe!

14 comments in this topic

[WITCH]
Players
58 posts
1,173 battles

Hiya, 

I've just set up a clan, but am new to clan battles. I'm level 15 as are some of my clan members, however they dont have the same 3 Tier X rental ships I do. They have only just reached level 10, does it take time for them to be added to your account? I got them as soon as I chose a schedule! Any help appreciated!

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
371 posts
10,045 battles

As far as I'm aware, it works like this - You need to have played at least one random battle in a Tier 8 ship or higher for you to have access to the rentals for Clan Battles. 

Even then, they need to be account level 15, or they won't have access to the mode, let alone the ships. 

• Cool 2

[KURLA]
Players
885 posts
17,430 battles

In order to get the rental ships you have to play 1 battle in a T8 or higher ship (iirc).

Otherwise they should be added instantaneously.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
1,408 posts
3,556 battles

It might also be worth mentioning that if everyone in your clan is that new, you will probably have a pretty bad time in clan wars, with 7 new people playing competitive in ships they have never played in a tier they have never played.

I wish you all the best tho :)

[SM0KE]
Players
2,991 posts
7,126 battles
20 hours ago, natswright said:

Hiya, 

I've just set up a clan, but am new to clan battles. I'm level 15 as are some of my clan members, however they dont have the same 3 Tier X rental ships I do. They have only just reached level 10, does it take time for them to be added to your account? I got them as soon as I chose a schedule! Any help appreciated!

As mentioned above (by @Miragetank90) , you get the rentals immediately after playing a random battle in a T8+ ship, assuming your account is at a high enough level.

@thiextar makes a very good point too: if you are all very new to the game, you'll probably get your posteriors handed to you, as you'll likely be facing rather more experienced opponents. That's not to say you shouldn't give it a lash though; assuming all your clan is inexperienced, you aren't harming anyone (the opponents will probably appreciate a less difficult win, although you may surprise them), and it'll give you a bit of a benchmark to reference as you all develop.

You are at a bit of a disadvantage in a rental; although they act like premiums (as far as captains go), so you can put your best captain in them, you can't put camo on them, which makes you a bit easier to see and hit. I would strongly advise putting all available upgrades on the rentals though - you'll be at a significant disadvantage without them (no CVs though, I believe, so you don't need to worry about AA builds), and you'll get them de-mounted for free when the rental ship is removed. Probably mount mainly premium consumables too - the reduced cooldowns, and extra charge can be very helpful; take DCP at the very least, and others depending on how you find the economics work out for you (I find clans very profitable, even with full premium consumable loadout, but I run perma-camo on my T10s - I'm not sure how it is currently with rentals).

One tip: you only get one BB per team, so put your best BB player in it; an incompetent (or just inexperienced) player in that role is a significant hindrance to the team.

• Cool 2

[WITCH]
Players
58 posts
1,173 battles
43 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

More to the point, how did you get your mitts on a Kaga?!

A very lucky air drop!

• Cool 1

[WITCH]
Players
58 posts
1,173 battles
42 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

As mentioned above (by @Miragetank90) , you get the rentals immediately after playing a random battle in a T8+ ship, assuming your account is at a high enough level.

@thiextar makes a very good point too: if you are all very new to the game, you'll probably get your posteriors handed to you, as you'll likely be facing rather more experienced opponents. That's not to say, you shouldn't give it a lash though; assuming all your clan is inexperienced, you aren't harming anyone (the opponents will probably appreciate a less difficult win, although you may surprise them), and it'll give you a bit of a benchmark to reference as you all develop.

You are at a bit of a disadvantage in a rental; although they act like premiums (as far as captains go), so you can put your best captain in them, you can't put camo on them, which makes you a bit easier to see and hit. I would strongly advise putting all available upgrades on the rentals though - you'll be at a significant disadvantage without them (no CVs though, I believe, so you don't need to worry about AA builds), and you'll get them de-mounted for free when the rental ship is removed. Probably mount mainly premium consumables too - the reduced cooldowns, and extra charge can be very helpful; take DCP at the very least, and others depending on how you find the economics work out for you (I find clans very profitable, even with full premium consumable loadout, but I run perma-camo on my T10s - I'm not sure how it is currently with rentals).

One tip: you only get one BB per team, so put your best BB player in it; an incompetent (or just inexperienced) player in that role is a significant hindrance to the team.

We have a few experienced members, but most are new and just level 15. The Kaga carrier I have explains why I have access! We played the naval battles instead, as we were matched against a clan for that. Currently 11-0 up, still have some players to take their 10 goes!

[WITCH]
Players
58 posts
1,173 battles

Thanks guys, this makes sense, I think we would get our [edited]'es handed to us! I'm ok in destroyers, but still learning to aim in battleships, and have little practice in cruisers, other than my destroyer like Yubari Light Cruiser and Graf Spee ( which steers more like a battleship!) You just get some games where you feel your ship is like a shell magnet, but I have much to learn to keep my ship in a good position, so as to minimize exposure to fire. I'd love to try the Atlanta Light cruiser, with that rapid rate of fire though, its quite an expensive ship! Nothing like it in the free ships that I can see so far...?

[SM0KE]
Players
2,991 posts
7,126 battles
1 minute ago, natswright said:

I think we would get our [edited]'es handed to us!

It's quite likely, but that isn't necessarily a reason to avoid clans entirely (assuming you can get enough people together) - at the very least, you'll have set a reference point against which to judge future progress.

3 minutes ago, natswright said:

I'd love to try the Atlanta Light cruiser, with that rapid rate of fire though, its quite an expensive ship! Nothing like it in the free ships that I can see so far...?

Atlanta is hilarious, but quite hard to play (mainly due to being very fragile); the closest silver ships are some of the US CLs, or perhaps the higher tier US DDs (Atlanta has DD guns, essentially), especially with a BFT/AR captain, but none are basically the same, only silver (that's partly why Atlanta/Flint are good premiums - they're pretty much unique). If you want a similar experience with cheaper premiums, some of the low tier cruisers might be worth a look, or perhaps even the much maligned Krispy Kreme...

Players
1,647 posts
12,149 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, natswright sagte:

I'd love to try the Atlanta Light cruiser, with that rapid rate of fire though, its quite an expensive ship!

Used to be worth every penny - before the rework. And even now, at least a 14-pt captain is needed to really make her work, especially as a rookie. I wouldn't spend a penny until they sort this carrier mess for good.

Zitat

Nothing like it in the free ships that I can see so far...?

The closest thing is Svietlana, believe it or not.

Albeit in slow motion. But that is absolutely a good thing for beginners.

The closest cheaper premium, Krasny Krym, a slightly improved Svietlana. But since she's on Tier V, and has to fight Tier VIIs, that very slight improvement is not really enough until you really know what you're doing (and best have a very highly skilled Soviet DD captain.) Sometimes not even then.

Re Clan Battles, you'd at least get to see some really breathtaking teamwork, even from teams with ~40% average win rate.

But you really need a high tolerance for frustration. The thing is, almost everybody there knows all the maps by heart. They know all the good spots, cover them instantly and they know exactly where you're likely to be and from where they can hit you unseen. If both teams are at about that level, then it becomes a sort of war of attrition, but if one of them doesn't at least have one single experienced tactician, then it's usually over very quickly and brutally. Been on both ends, still am sometimes.

It gets easier after a few game days when the best teams have progressed to the higher leagues though, so it could be a blessing to miss the first two weeks.

• Cool 2

[WITCH]
Players
58 posts
1,173 battles
1 minute ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Used to be worth every penny - before the rework. And even now, at least a 14-pt captain is needed to really make her work, especially as a rookie. I wouldn't spend a penny until they sort this carrier mess for good.

The closest thing is Svietlana, believe it or not.

Albeit in slow motion. But that is absolutely a good thing for beginners.

The closest cheaper premium, Krasny Krym, a slightly improved Svietlana. But since she's on Tier V, and has to fight Tier VIIs, that very slight improvement is not really enough until you really know what you're doing (and best have a very highly skilled Soviet DD captain.) Sometimes not even then.

Thanks, i'll check those out!

[WITCH]
Players
58 posts
1,173 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It's quite likely, but that isn't necessarily a reason to avoid clans entirely (assuming you can get enough people together) - at the very least, you'll have set a reference point against which to judge future progress.

Atlanta is hilarious, but quite hard to play (mainly due to being very fragile); the closest silver ships are some of the US CLs, or perhaps the higher tier US DDs (Atlanta has DD guns, essentially), especially with a BFT/AR captain, but none are basically the same, only silver (that's partly why Atlanta/Flint are good premiums - they're pretty much unique). If you want a similar experience with cheaper premiums, some of the low tier cruisers might be worth a look, or perhaps even the much maligned Krispy Kreme...

Thanks, will do. I'm use to the T61, which is pretty fast and has rapid fire. Handy for orbiting some BB's faster than their turrets can turn, and raining down AP on the softer bits at the front and back of the ship! ;)  Very high risk though!

[SM0KE]
Players
2,991 posts
7,126 battles
11 minutes ago, natswright said:

I'm use to the T61, which is pretty fast and has rapid fire.

T-61 is glorious (especially if you meet someone who doesn't know about the smoke/hydro combination), but its gun arcs aren't hugely representative of what you'll get with things like Atlanta.

Atlanta (and a lot of other American ships) are noted (notorious?) for shooting rainbows i.e. their shells have great looping arcs; this can be both a benefit and a curse - benefit, because it can allow you to shoot over islands, whilst remaining protected from counter-fire; curse, because it takes ages for the shells to reach longer range so making hitting smaller/faster targets troublesome, to put it mildly.

This is why both @Nautical_Metaphor and I have pointed you at lower tier Russians; at higher tiers, the Russians are noted for their 'rail guns' with very flat trajectories, but the lower tiers incline more towards the rainbow end of things. Hence KK (although the point above about MM is very well made), which even has short-ranged torps like Atlanta too. Ignoring the torps, the T3-4 Russian cruisers are good practice for learning to shoot rainbows - I still occasionally take out things like Aurora just for fun too, as they're actually a giggle as well as being good practice.

• Cool 1