You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hannibalurg

Time to remove the Karma system?

89 comments in this topic

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts

I notice something when i play DD, that angry BB captains tend to go off in chat, and i suspect they are the ones behind all the reporting.

I rarely write anything in chat, unless it is in-game info like when yamato uses repair, or asking for some AA cover from a CA, so i kind of know i don't get reported for abusive language.

But i tend to notice that its normally angry battleship captains who go off in chat and blaming everyone because they only did 20k damage in a tier X battleship. And you end up reported and Karma removed.

I am not the best player, but i have between 50 and 60% winrate in all my tier X DD's except the Shimakaze where i am currently at 47% so i don't feel that i am preforming so bad to justify being report.

But what annoy me extremely much is that angry kids in Battleships have the power to affect one of my "stats" just because they are bad and get angry. When i get complains about something i do i usually check their profile to see if they are somone i should listen to, or if it is a shitty player with 42% winrate and i must say that overwhelmingly portion of the ragers in chat are people with very bad winrate, but i annoy the hell out of me that they have the power to affect one of my stat. I am nearly at the point where i am about to do the same, but i dont want to sink (the puns) to their level, but it is so frustrating.

Is it time to scrap the Karma system?

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,245 battles

You do know that no one can see your karma right? So why do you care. 

• Cool 1

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,967 battles

The problem is not karma itself, is getting chatbanned when you delete enemyes in  a dd or a cv. Lately i have only played those classes, and i notifed my karma nosediving since then. Especially when i played  ijn torps line with trb and 8 kms 76knots torps, in witch i even managed to do a Dev strike kraken ( 5 dev strike in a single battle). I have noticed an impressive ratio of 1:1 dev strike-reports. In the last game with cvs i killed 3 dds with my implacable, all with torps within the first 6 min. Received 3 reports.

And getting chatbanned is a problem, because not being able to comunicate in randoms actually lose you some games that could have been won otherwise. And it's  annoying in general

[AMOK]
Players
1,961 posts
8,601 battles
9 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

too lazy to dig up a meme pic, but...

We have this thread every week :fish_sleep:

giphy.gif

You're welcome :Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,166 posts
3,608 battles
11 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

The problem is not karma itself, is getting chatbanned 

Are you saying that this can happen? :Smile_amazed:

I don't really care about my karma number (or indeed any of my in-game stats, visible or not). But getting chatbanned due to mischief reports - by which I mean, reports that are made not because of your own misconduct but merely out of spite - would be bad. It would be pretty serious. I'd have assumed that Wargaming has some sort of system in place, to prevent chatbans or other consequences to result from mischief reports... but maybe I'm wrong about this?

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,967 battles
1 minute ago, Procrastes said:

This.

I don't really care about my karma number (or indeed any of my in-game stats, visible or not). But getting chatbanned due to mischief reports - by which I mean, reports that are made not because of your own misconduct but merely out of spite - would be bad. It would be pretty serious. I'd have assumed that Wargaming has some sort of system in place, to prevent chatbans or other consequences to result from mischief reports... but maybe I'm wrong about this?

It hasn't,  trust me. I don't  get banned/reported when i get salty  in chat, but when i delete enemyes

Beta Tester
3,166 posts
3,608 battles
1 minute ago, Flavio1997 said:

It hasn't,  trust me. I don't  get banned/reported when i get salty  in chat, but when i delete enemyes

And this is why I've always assumed that the report function was mostly there as a safety valve, to allow players to vent off steam after getting TK:ed or insulted in the chat. I really hope that Wargaming checks the chat logs before imposing a ban, rather than banning someone simply after having received a set number of reports during a given period...!

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts
14 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

If your karma is > 0 you are doing it wrong anyway...

No, karma is not 0, besides that's not the point of the thread, should have gone to specsavers.

35 minutes ago, Episparh said:

giphy.gif

Look at this stout tough person who doesn't get annoyed by anything, god your tough, brave and sturdy. Doesn't get more manly than this.

42 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Then maybe action should be taken, as Karma serve no other purpose than annoy?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

6,158 posts
10,639 battles
4 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

Then maybe action should be taken, as Karma serve no other purpose than annoy?

Why though? Since annoyance is on a personal level (and thus highly subjective).

And into what direction? Remove Karma? Give it a purpose? Which one? 

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,528 battles
1 hour ago, Hannibalurg said:

I notice something when i play DD, that angry BB captains tend to go off in chat, and i suspect they are the ones behind all the reporting.

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,967 battles
24 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Why though? Since annoyance is on a personal level (and thus highly subjective).

And into what direction? Remove Karma? Give it a purpose? Which one? 

Maybe make a sistem that doesnt allow to report someone on the enemy team if it kills you ( report for unsporting behaviour) or that doesn't  allow to report for misbehaviour in chat if you didn't write in the in-game chat to the enemy team at all ( so you couldn't report someone who you haven't  seen a single line of text from you)

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,090 posts
7,985 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Sorry for being late, i was stuck at uny.

648797233_ThreadWeek.jpg.520640444c5f3414640e734484a73fdf.jpg

May i add to the discussion that there is a lot more people that report then people who give compliments. Or at least from my experience....

• Cool 2

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts

Look, as i wrote this thread earlier, i continued playing and look at the scumbaggery going on in chat. Our DD was AFK indeed, but it was for a minute or two did not impact the game in any large scale at all.

But here you see how the karma system is being abused, he want's to get our DD who was afk for a brief moment a chat ban, because he blames the loss on 1 DD who was afk for the inital first minute or two at the start.

This is PERFECT example on how to abuse the karma system, these kind of people have a special placed reserved for them in the afterlife.

I have, according to guidelines, removed the names of the players, but if anyone from SUOLA wants to get the original screenshot to see how your members behave i can accomdate you in private messages.

Edit: i included what ship i was playing, just to verify i am not the DD in question.

valid.jpg

[LEEUW]
Players
2,339 posts
10,110 battles
2 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

Look, as i wrote this thread earlier, i continued playing and look at the scumbaggery going on in chat. Our DD was AFK indeed, but it was for a minute or two did not impact the game in any large scale at all.

But here you see how the karma system is being abused, he want's to get our DD who was afk for a brief moment a chat ban, because he blames the loss on 1 DD who was afk for the inital first minute or two at the start.

This is PERFECT example on how to abuse the karma system, these kind of people have a special placed reserved for them in the afterlife.

I have, according to guidelines, removed the names of the players, but if anyone from SUOLA wants to get the original screenshot to see how your members behave i can accomdate you in private messages.

valid.jpg

Oh no such verbal abuse. Wow. 

If the DD was afk and didn't say something like "sorry disconnect" or something, then I'd report him as well since it is greatly influencing the battle. 

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. 

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles
15 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

Maybe make a sistem that doesnt allow to report someone on the enemy team if it kills you ( report for unsporting behaviour) or that doesn't  allow to report for misbehaviour in chat if you didn't write in the in-game chat to the enemy team at all ( so you couldn't report someone who you haven't  seen a single line of text from you)

The moment you realize it's working exactly that way already.... :fish_book:

Well not exactly but you won't lose Karma or get pnealties for "misbehaviour in chat" if you didn't write anything. The other person still wasted one of his daily reports though so it's already even better than you suggested.

2 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

valid.jpg

Well that is indeed a d*ckmove but as I said above totally effectless if he was truly afk.

Also even if that toxic behaviour is not right, a DD sleeping for the first three minutes is impacting the game more than you think. The first spots are vital (if no cv is around ofc.).

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,967 battles
Just now, Miessa3 said:

The moment you realize it's working exactly that way already.... :fish_book:

Well not exactly but you won't lose Karma or get pnealties for "misbehaviour in chat" if you didn't write anything. The other person still wasted one of his daily reports though so it's already even better than you suggested.

The problem is that it doesn't. 

If you write in your own team  chat the enemy team can already report you for misbehaviour in chat, and that is idiotic.

6,158 posts
10,639 battles
23 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

( report for unsporting behaviour)

Which does nothing. Apart from reducing your karma.

The only thing that actually HAS influence on your situation is the 'Misbehaviour in chat' report. And that only if iirc more than three seperate instances (thus: Not a division) report you.

Personally: I've recieved quite a few reports during my time (don't know what for though, as the port UI only lists 'You've been reported!'), but never ended up with a chat block.

[POP]
Beta Tester
190 posts
9,150 battles

As a person who also get's annoyed when karma nose dives for no apparent reason other than sudden influx of school kids and aspergers in game, I can only try to give some encouragement. For some reason karma seems to come and go in cycles. I was up about 25, dived to 3 without anything changing in my gameplay or behaviour, and am again up at 27, also without anything changing in my either my gameplay or behaviour. If your karma hits 0, then stop worrying as it can't get lover than that. Besides, only thing you get by positive karma is more comliments and reports to give per day, and everybody should know by now that only "missbehaviour in chat" does anything other than drop karma. Hence the whole karma system is there so WG can pretend that they do anything to moderate toxicity, botting, griefing and other harrasments in game.

• Bad 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

Seems to me that 'karma' is designed for unconditional mutual admiration among clan members, or a way to be sucky to online streamers who you've shared a battle with. It has no meaning for the majority of players who are outside that club. And given the few players who stick around to the end of the battle anyway to actually see who played it well and congratulate them with a 'played well' the metric is even more limited. At the very least to make Karma representative up-voting should be banned to fellow clan members and only available as a vote within two minutes of the end of a battle, but then nobody would get any votes and it would prove itself pointless.

• Cool 1

6,158 posts
10,639 battles
1 minute ago, 250swb said:

only available as a vote within two minutes of the end of a battle

Which it is. Ok, it's five minutes iirc. But five minutes or two minutes ... not really a difference.

And regarding the 'mutual admiration' ... yeah ... my clan members only admire me via that button :cap_haloween:

Nonehteless, that doesn't hide the fact that Karma in and of itself isn't the most usefull thing apart from blowing of some steam (You get a report!) or some good feelings (You played well!).

Players
2,594 posts
12,952 battles
29 minutes ago, MixuS said:

sudden influx of school kids and aspergers in game

29 minutes ago, MixuS said:

pretend that they do anything to moderate toxicity

They failed in your case anyway I see.

Also, I guess the nonsensical "autist(ic)" insults became too generic, and you feel more speshul by specifying a subgroup ? I'd be genuinely amazed if you even knew what it meant. Given that it is quite unknown to the general public still, I'd recommend keeping your slurs to good old antisemitism or racism whenever you want to express your feelings of superiority. Nothing wrong with keeping it old school.

Happy to help.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 4

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles

1 hour ago, Flavio1997 said:

The problem is that it doesn't. 

If you write in your own team  chat the enemy team can already report you for misbehaviour in chat, and that is idiotic.

Read what I wrote and you will realize it does.

Like I said if you don't write anything in chat, you can't lose karma or get a chatban due to being reported for misbehaviour in chat. Which pretty much is the same like your second suggestion only that the report will count as invalid.

1 hour ago, Flavio1997 said:

or that doesn't  allow to report for misbehaviour in chat if you didn't write in the in-game chat to the enemy team at all ( so you couldn't report someone who you haven't  seen a single line of text from you)